Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

Still a bad game by a poo poo developer.

Yeah, but it's kind of fun just stomping around shooting at things. Waiting ten minutes for a CW-deployment could need some work, though. I guess not enough players for more?

And of course as soon as I dropped into a CW-match today, my cat jumped on my lap and demanded a comb-over (she's getting her winterfur and without regular attention, she starts vomitting fur all over the place). This of course meant I was controlling my mechs only with one hand, while someone really frustrated sounding gave me orders to move around I often had to ignore since controlling battlemechs with one hand is kind of hard. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

Don't mock MechCommander Hollander roleplay guys. If I want to further my immerison by roleplaying the Inner Sphere loyal but secretly trueborn Captain Harrington Davion-Kerensky, piloting an honorabru-ly inefficient mech then by God sir I will!

I prefer roleplaying as a Steiner-Loyalist, since walking slowly towards the enemy in a heavy mech is what I do best. Getting flanked by faster mechs and dying like a chump just makes the immersion that much stronger

In other news, I finally broke down and spend some money on a second Raven, since the first one I bought came without ECM. Now I'm planning to spend some time at the map's edge to fire at some passing sucker's behind like an rear end in a top hat.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Something I wanted to share:

A couple days ago I had a match on lava planet map and we kind of just walked around in single file, until we hit some sort of pass in the lava mountains.

I was just mindlessly trudging along with my Marauder and only noticed something was wrong when someone was telling us to "push", whatever that means. I guessed it meant we had to move fast through the pass, which had suddenly lit up with weapon fire. It was a trap.

Of course no-one did this push-thing and I got stuck behind an Atlas cowering at the mouth of the pass. After doing some team damage into the backs of those idiots, everything suddenly went quiet. I noticed I was the only heavy mech still standing, with 2-3 lights cowering left of me, in some kind of gap between the rocks.

At this point I just turned around and walked out, planning to walk around lava mountain until I found the way up into the large open area the enemy was waiting for us. Of course this turned out to be the worst plan ever, since the moment I walked out of the pass, the enemy poured through it and executed the three lights behind me. Now as the last mech, I stubbornly executed my dumb plan and my slow Marauder very slowly trudged through the mountains until I found the way back into the area behind death pass.

Of course meanwhile, the 10 surviving mechs on the other side had dispersed all over the map, searching for me. For a couple moments I just kind of walked around, a bit at a loss of what to do. I then walked over to the mountain of dead mechs and stood in silence for a couple seconds. And lo and behold! Weapon fire hit me from behind. Some players had doubled back and found me again.

So I turned around and shot my PPCs all over the place until I was brought down by a trio of enemy mechs. It took them an agonizing amount of time to bring me down, even though I'm sure at least two of them had open fire lanes to my back the entire time. Even outgunned, outsmarted and playing with a joystick instead of a mouse, I very nearly took one of them with me.

This was the stupidest match ever. :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A couple matches ago I tried using a mouse again, but it didn't work out. I was as bad at shooting with a mouse as I was with a joystick. So instead I ramped up the sensitivity for my joystick and now I can move the target cursor as fast and smoothly as with a mouse.

To be fair, if I hadn't tried mouse control again, I wouldn't have noticed how lovely my joystick was calibrated. Now I can actually hit things (sometimes)!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Supraluminal posted:

Try turning down the sensitivity on your mouse instead and giving that another try. It makes fine aiming a lot easier.

I did try my mouse with lower sensitivity ages ago. It didn't help either. All my muscle memory is screaming at me how wrong it feels to control a robot with a mouse, which is kind of distracting on top of all my reflexes being wrong for this kind of control. It just isn't fun.

In other news, I gave that weird Hero-Cicada I got gifted months ago some ER-Large Lasers to snipe with. In my first match I did more damage then I ever did with my Stormcrow. Of course, that could be because I turned the sensitivity on my joystick up so it didn't feel like moving through molasses anymore. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

It's boring as hell, games take 3x as long as any other map, even longer than alpine games and pubs often wander off alone to die. All the alpine problems and no effective way to maneuver around scenery to flank and isolate targets.

My own experience so far has been positive. My last (and first) match on Polar Highlands ended in a giant brawl when both sides just kind of met each other in the middle, formed up in two rough lines and blasted away at each other. My poo poo-tier Warhawk actually made four killassists in the match. Four killassists and 200+ damage, which is god-tier for me. I rarely do more than half of that.

Yes, I'm that lovely at MWO. :shepface:

Edit:

I had no trouble maneuvering around the highlands to isolate targets, but then again the entire match devolved into a series of one-on-one matches, with people using the low hills everywhere as cover for surprise attacks. So maybe my experience was not how it normally goes?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

At tier 2 you wander around for 5-7 minutes before ever seeing a target then half your pubs go chasing after a locust and the enemy team descends on you en masse and you die horribly.

In this case (tier 4), we just waltzed blindly forward until we had enemy contact. Then we took so long to form up and turn towards them, no-one had time to leave our group to go and die. We still lost of course, since the enemy basically walked right through our formation and ripped it apart, but we still took 6 mechs down with us.

Edit:

poo poo, it just dawned on me, I helped bring down 4 out of 6 dead enemy mechs in that match. With a joystick. How bad are those guys when I can keep up with them with a joystick? :psyduck:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 15, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

You "helped" bring down the other mechs. No disrespect but kill assist just means that you hit the mech with something. If you think 4 assists per game is much, try just to hit every enemy once. When dropping solo I always try to get a shot in on all the enemy robots, usually end up with 8-10 assist per game even if I'm not doing especially good.

I know, I just wanted to point out how bad I am. :v:

I have like three kills total to my name. That match would have gotten me 1-2 more, but of course as soon as I had a mech reduced down to basically walking wreckage, someone else suddenly woke up and shot at it, getting the kill. Then both my arms blew up. Two crits, one in each arm, both hit the ammo. Man, I'm really glad CASE exists.

hemale in pain posted:

I'm tier 4 and pubbies bunch up into a single square and refuse to do anything, and get incredibly angry and start shouting at people for moving out of the square for 'splitting up'. Also, a ton of them manage to die in the long range shooting battle and I dunno how, are they just standing there?

First I wanted to say I've never noticed people in the game getting angry at me for all the dumb mindless poo poo I pull, but just as I started typing I suddenly remembered I tend to play MWO while having loud music/podcasts running in the background. So I wouldn't actually be able to tell. Whoops.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

speaking of consumables: though cheating is of course quite rampant in this game, a lot of the competitive teams are swimming in cash and will blanket the sky with UAVs, so sometimes what seems like wallhacking is just your red dorito being visible because of the five UAVs in front of you and two behind you that you never saw

Can you shoot UAVs down if you notice them, or are they alway invisible to you?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Supraluminal posted:

Do you mean LBX autocannons?

In that case, anything with good pinpoint damage, like pulse lasers, PPCs, Gauss, or regular IS AC 20s. Hammer a component to strip armor, fill with LBX pellets.

Disclaimer, I've never once used an LBX in this game. I have no idea if this is a worthwhile strategy. Some people seem to like it but the impression I get is that tryhards all think LBX are a waste of time.

I love the LBX.

My Warhawk uses two L-BX 10 autocannons as main weapons. As back-up I crammed a medium ER and a 6er SRM-launcher in. Max armor and because I ran out of money to replace this weird omnipod which came with half a dozen unremovable heatsinks, I have no other weapons. On the other hand, I can shoot all my weapons all day long without overheating. And I have enough ammunition to shoot for minutes straight.

I even replaced the AC on my Nostalgia-Marauder with a type 10 LB-X because I love those stupid giant robot shotguns so much.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Is the warhawk actually any good? I rarely see them so I assumed they were stinking garbage.

They're like the red-headed stepchild of the Dire Wolf. Faster but weaker. Still, I like them better than the Dire Wolf. Seriously, the Dire Wolf looks like someone replaced a mech cockpit with a salvaged nose from a wrecked plane. I can't stand that hideous thing. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

Think I touched a nerve with my "There will be no ban wave"" thread. That seems to have gotten deleted too. Most of the people that replied agreed.

Time to argue with support

Edit: Suggest me some good names. After reading the code of conduct I have to give them 3 names.

How about Gya Tot Lylerac for maximum obfuscation? They can't possibly find a fault with this one!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

Hell I don't even know what that means

Gay Death Carlyle

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

That mech has 4 tons of Jump Jets. It's has "as much" tonnage free for weapons as the Ice Ferret and Arctic Cheater. And pubbies love their "heat neutral" builds.

How do you even get a "heat neutral" build in this game without ejecting all your weapons? My coldest build tends to overheat after firing all weapons 2-3 times and explodes generally 1-2 salvoes later (because I'm often too impatient to wait for my mech to cool down).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So, I've been using the ongoing XP-event to get some basic mech skills for my little stable of lovely mechs. Today, I've met the probably best player of tier 4, who somehow shot the center torso of my Adder through a high and very massive wall, stripped the nearly untouched armor off with this one single shot and destroyed my engine. Leaving the entire rest of my mech untouched.

What

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Can't die to engine crits alone in MWO, gotta lose the CT components; can't really comment on the rest of the situation without being there, but the Adder has a huge flat top that is almost all CT, might have been someone above who shot it. Happens a lot since everything is taller than the Adder.

Yeah, that was my first thought, too. But I was behind a wall when I was one-shot. And since my Adder is indeed rather flat and small, it would have been kind of hard for the enemies (who to be fair where are all bunched up at a high place) on the other side of the walls to shoot me.

Anyway, if that was legit, I'm honestly impressed. The next time I'm on that map, I'll try to walk up there to see if it's possible to shoot behind the walls from that angle. (I don't think so, it didn't seem that high, but you never know. :shrug: )

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Commoners posted:

One shotting lights from behind that have decided to stand still is a time honored tradition of light pilots.

I was running as fast as possible, though.

veedubfreak posted:

You likely got shot from behind by a stealthy mech. I was talking about this earlier, down in the low tiers where people haven't played very long, its amazingly easy to sneak up on people. You likely got nicked by an ecm mech you never saw. It happens. Take another shot and ready up, cause you're keeping the group waiting.

Possible, even though most enemy mechs were before us. Can an ECM-mech just walk through nearly a dozen of our own mechs without showing up on the radar? I knew ECM was good, but that good?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rysithusiku posted:

pubbies are bad. ive watched a timber wolf walk right through the middle of a half dozen enemies unharassed, never mind an ecm light.

Yeah, I got reminded of that today when I watched someone targeting an enemy mech behind a massive stone wall, turning around and shooting into the rock. I mean, if a mech is hundreds of meters away and missiles and laser beams are crossing the sky, I could understand accidentally shooting a mech behind cover. But dude, you were standing right next to the wall you were trying to melt down! :shepface:

A nice trick I learned: Since in tier 4 not many people are watching the sky, I got two kills (one each) by basically just jumping backwards with my mechs and avoiding missiles raining down on me that way. I killed someone in my Crab during a really messy melee in the Forest colony -between trees, rocks, exploding missiles and laser blasts I couldn't see poo poo, but apperently one of my targets went down. For some reason no-one shot my head off the couple of times I could only avoid missiles by jumping.

In the second case I just survived enough missile-salvoes I got to the end stage of the game and by pure blind luck one of my Cicada's lasers made the killing blow on a Stalker we hosed down with like half a dozen mechs. That match started out kind of awkward with tons of missiles landing on us from a far, but somehow we made it across River City until we were close enough to slowly whittle them down. Then there was a movie-like storm across one of the bridges to take down the last of them.

Nice fruitful day, all in all. Of course I'm still poo poo enough my pilot rating went down after the last game was over, but gently caress it, it was fun. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

If the amount of time it takes me to do what I want with a mech goes up significantly I'm just going to give my account to someone else

Plus side is no more wasting money on modules

I never saw the sense in modules, to be honest. Never used, never suffered because of them used against me. I'm not even entirely sure what "modules" exist in MWO, since I willed myself to completely ignore that part of the game. If they go away, literally nothing will change for me!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

yaay posted:

you can ignore radar dep, target decay, and seismic as much as you like - I do the same with consumables - but saying this is stupid.

What, why? I prefer to be honest about my ignorance.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

I always viewed the modules as crutches and never used them. Them going is not going to affect me a single iota, but the people used to using them are probably going to need a small time of adjustment.

Hell, this probably means less death and more kills for me! Especially after my sorry rear end finally gets booted down to tier 5! :v:

Oh Snapple! posted:

I guarantee you've been killed at least once due to someone with seismic picking up your approach and training their reticle exactly where you'd be coming out at.

Luckily I'm the worst player ever, so the outcome would have been the same anyway. One of the reasons modules never bothered me: Depending on perspective, they're either pearls before swine (when I use them) or total overkill (when used against me). To kill me you just need to have at least monkey-level intelligence, the reflexes of a sand dune and be awake.

(Also it's really funny that there are 8 mentaloids who still somehow died to someone who can barely move his mech around -when I switched from joystick to mouse because I needed my dying stick for my space sims, I forgot for like 3 months to rebind targeting to a key I could actually remember. So I played without being able to target anything for months and even made 1-2 kills this way. Imagine dying to someone who can't even target your mech.)

The idea that someone spends real money on items to kill someone who can be killed by your pet chained to your keyboard makes me chuckle every time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rysithusiku posted:

Only ones you can't sell are (L) loyalty variants. But they came with their associated bays anyways so just think of them as free and ignore em if you dont like em.

Protip: If you really hate them, you can strip them from their parts and re-use/sell those.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

The only way to lose your tier ratings is by dying and losing the match against opponents the game thinks are worse than you. I think most match outcomes will result in at least a small increase to your rating, or at worst no change.

Ah thanks, that explains why my rank keeps dropping. :v:

That said, I've looked up those "season 7" stats and it turns out I'm so bad I'm not even listed on that, ha ha

My rank is literally "N/A"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Season 7 started a couple days ago. Look up your Season 6 stats instead, you might just not have any recorded game for S7 yet, that's the only reason that should happen.

Huh. I had to go back to Season 5 to find myself. Welp, at least this explains the 5 patches I had to wait through. I should play more often. :v:

(I was place 32166 out of 55205. At least I'm on the list? :shrug:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

hay,
hay,
HAY, HAY GUYS.
THEY'RE GIVING AWAY FREE MECHS FOR BUYING MC AGAIN.
GIVE :pgi: MONEY, QUICK QUICK.
http://mwomercs.com/news/2017/02/1725-sweet-deals-mc-3

Yeah, of course! gently caress you, :pgi: thanks to your braindead decisions I'm losing all my skills without ever being able to buy them back.

Now I'm even regretting retroactively the couple bucks I've spend on this game.

• Locked thread