Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I'd like the mumble info if someone would be so kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
After two nights pubbing I got on the goon mumble and much fun was had. Thanks Anita.

The trial mech kingcrab is an absolute beast, provided you can get into a good position with it. I want to buy my very own but grinding up cbills or whatever is so slow.

I bought the spl firestarter in the op with my tutorial and achievement money, but a light without ecm seems pretty useless, particularly when stomping around with goons.

Is there a way to fit out a mech in game without buying it first so you can at least plan your purchase without having to alt-tab. Also I need to give pgi credit, I have never come across a user interface that actively induces a headache during. This one does almost immediately.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Rocketpriest posted:

edit: nooope, not spending the 2.3 million C-Bills for a one-off goof.

This is what sucks about the game (well, from the "just starting to play" standpoint). I want to customize a few robots to try things and have fun, but to do so I need to spend a lot of real money or grind away forever in trial mechs or the single good mech I could afford after the tutorial. Too much grind, not enough ability to actually try stupid loadouts (ie, have fun), because I can't afford to refit.

I have a firestarter and 10 million credits after two weeks of play. I am hesitant to spend the credits because if I gently caress up and buy something I don't like then it will be another two weeks before I can try again. That isn't fun.

Stomping around with goons isn't half bad though.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The Griffon 2N with 4 SRM 4 and Artemis is a murder machine, and it has bonus ecm. Just shoot poo poo in the knees. People under armor their legs, or stuff them with ammo.

I run an XL 330, the SRMs, 2 med lasers that are rarely used, endo, and 1 or 2 double heatsinks. With speed tweak you hit 104 kph.

The only drawback is you are taller than nearly every other mech. You can almost stare eye to eye with an atlas. I like to think the stature is deserved.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Any suggestions for thunderbolt builds?

Also, how about the Orion?

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The oxide and its team were all tagged 228 or 288 or something like that. I was in an arctic cheetah and have never been in a match where I took that much damage that quickly. It was odd to say the least.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

DancingShade posted:

2N: 4x SRM4s with artemis, 2 medium lasers for the arm and ECM. STD250ish engine unless you want a big XL to terrify light mechs and love torso twisting.

I run an xl because I like to go (die) fast.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Love Stole the Day posted:

Is anyone interested in showing up for a 12 v 12 goon inhouse event where we all gently caress around and do gimmicky bullshit that would never happen in a pub game?

ideas:
  • 12 v 12 in the basement of HPG Manifold (everyone is an assault 'mech?)
  • LRM boats only (no ECM allowed?)
  • "protect the baby" -- everyone plays Atlas but each team has 1 UrbanMech (your team loses if the Urbie dies)

Yes to this and all the other ideas.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I put 3 LPL, Tag, and 4 LRM 10 on a Kingcrab-0000. I have no regrets.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
At tier 4 the new map is a lot of fun in a locust. There is so much cover. I spent my evening looping around the snipe-fest and shooting butts. Start with the farthest enemy back. With the acceleration and deceleration quirks I could stay behind most assaults in a 1v1 and peck away until they died.

If more than one enemy turned around, that was trouble, but it was very easy to hop in a trench and escape, then come back to repeat.

I am going to put on a narc launcher tomorrow and narc everyone.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Griffin 2N for whoever wanted to play mediums. 4 asrm4 and ecm. With an XL 330 your speed is 105-ish. 84 I think with a standard engine. I play it with the XL and usually circle around the firing lines to kill lrm boats in the back, then work my way forward. With the xl engine you can generally stay behind dire wolves and dads as they turn madly, trying to find you. For heavies shoot legs (unless they have torso damage already).

With goons I usually hug the assaults to provide ecm and delete any lights that would otherwise chew on their butts. You are tall as gently caress and the missiles are mounted high, so you can actually shoot over your teammates into the melee in some cases.

I have been meaning to try it out as a pure brawler with a std engine, haven't got around to it yet.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Completely unscientific measurement here, but I feel like I generally get more damage into one mech location with asrm4 than with srm6, and at 2/3rd the ammo cost. We can also talk about range vs spread, reload times, ammo opportunity cost of asrmr vs srm4 plus an extra ton of ammo, but at some point my head hurts and I am really here just to shoot butts. So try both and go with what you like.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Sorry, I was talking about light or medium mechs, I should have specified.

Content: My current horrible King Crab 0000 build is 4 asrm6, 4 medium pulse, std 350, 2 machine guns for comedy. Previously it had an lbx 10 in place of the medium lasers and machine guns which gave it a dead side. It runs hot, has no shield arms, and I usually die after a kill or two.

I want to buy an Atlas S (RS?) to do it right.

JacksAngryBiome fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 26, 2016

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
"Victasha Deiner Kavion Sterensky" is a just-fit!

Victasha Keiner Stavion Derensky?

I need some feedback here mechwarriors, I only get to do this once.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Baudin posted:

Heads up: these mechs have massive torso twist ability, use that and the structure quirks to XL engine them.

ZEU-5S: something like this. it features a shitton of fire power in the god hand, and an XL engine.

I have a few others but can't recall them off the top of my head. That one is a loving beast though.

Sold! This thing looks beautiful. Now to grind up the mc.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I love the 4 machine-gun Huginn and hope they put out that 12 machine gun mech (Piranha?). Machine guns. I want all of them.

Also a shout out to the goon group tonight in quick-drop. We rolled a lot of pubs, got rolled a few times ourselves, and kept on trucking. Just about every map evolved (devolved?) into a wonderful murder-brawl. Good times.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Zaodai posted:

You should be hoping for the Clan mech (the Bane/Kraken) that has 10 Ultra AC/2s and 4 machine guns.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Yes. It is like a king crab and a jaeger had a giant anorexic robot baby.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bane_%28Kraken%29

JacksAngryBiome fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 8, 2016

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Mastery pack cash prices are here.

https://mwomercs.com/store/gifts

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I will never buy a 50 dollar mech, but I would buy more than ten 5 dollar mechs.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The great thing about the pirates bane on polar highlands is that you are so small that almost every divot in the snow provides cover.

Maps with flat floors like hpg or the mining one are actually harder I have found.

*Disclaimer: I am tier 4 and mediocre at best.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Why does it take so long to "connect." I am sick of looking at the connecting spinny thing.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Does he think that you can't use macro programs in a real match?

Or am I reading his tweet wrong?

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The lrm hunchback build a kind goon posted here is great. It makes for relaxed solo pubbing and does great at medium ranges.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I was gonna buy another mastery pack this month but now I think I will wait until bans are announced.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Raged posted:

Ok, dumb question. There are no TACs in MWO right????

Only ask because I had 3 TBRs blown up by the first hit they took from the same guy who was at least 800m away in CW. I'm talking unscratched to dead with my armor on the paperdoll showing everything intact on the first 2 deaths only the last death showed both side torso blown out from one salvo.. No other enemies around. I wasn't even in the same spot on the map those 3 times and i was going full speed. I have had a few deaths that were bullshit but this is some next level poo poo.

Edit: Why the heck doesn't MWO use Fairfight which some pretty drat good cheat detection.

Russ assures us that the number of cheaters are very few, so few that nothing really needs to be done, therefore you must be mistaken. Would you like to spend $85 on the new mech?

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

It's a soft metric.

It's nice because it gives me something to get mad about at the match-score screen in my pub games.

"Two timber wolves and a Strom crow were chasing my light for the majority of the match after I cored out the rear end of a catapult, so why did we lose 12-3 --oh, our assault lance did 200 damage combined, I am starting to understand."

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
12 v 12 gets real old. Not enough maps. The game modes are all the same. The grind sucks.

But stomping around and unloading weapon fire into someone is fun.

The fun only outweighed the non-fun for me for 2 months, which from that graph looks like was true for many other steam-launch players.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Sard posted:

"we banned over 500 hackers"

I take it all back and promise to login tonight.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
After reading PTN's excellent let's play of battletech, I want to see laser reflective armor in this here game.

Different armor types might help the game, yes / no?

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The hunchback SP as a brawler is no joke now.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Why are storm crows forbidden in scouting?

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

they ruined the PB? noooo that was the only mech I liked playing in this dumb game

Pirates bane and hugginn were about all I played lately. Meh.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Let's talk about skill points for the sub optimal huginn because I am in love with it and a retard.

Obviously max missile skills. I took about half the agility tree. Radar dep is at 40%.

Here is the thing, it doesn't really overheat, so I think you can skip the normal operations tree (cool running, etc). I put those points into survivability because I feel like that jives well with its large innate structure bonuses. Is this bad?

I dropped the engine from a max 290xl to 280xl in order to fit asrm 6x2 and enough ammo. Asrm 4 just felt lackluster even with full middle skills.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Why does it take so long to load into the mech garage. Starting the game or leaving a match I always end up looking at their wait-spinner for what feels like several minutes while the thing loads. I don't get this poo poo in other games (i5, 8 gigs, 1070, ssd, etc), and it gets frustrating.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
About how many games does it take to get 10k match xp if you are not commoners.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The Quickdraw has crazy acceleration for a heavy.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
How is the top dog busted?

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I'll take one!

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Office Thug posted:

I'm trying to get back into this game. I used to ride Brawl Atlases with SRMs and ACs, but they just feel super flaccid now. I can unload into a mech for days but then I get insta-cored by something from miles away.

What should I be shooting for, exactly, to actually kill things again?

Try the atlas with uac20 and MRMs. After the acceleration nerf that engine decoupling brought, having more range on the missles works better for me than the traditional goon SRM build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

The Repo Man posted:

Well, anyway, I've been doing extremely well in an MRM 50 Atlas D-DC. The extra range makes a huge difference, and the damage spread is no where near as bad as I thought it would be. Still can't fight lights, but you can wreck pretty much anything else.

They work well for me too on the 7S!

• Locked thread