Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I haven't played this since beta, please tell me which of my robots is least garbage now and if there are any fun builds to use for them. Here's what I have and what I think I should be doing:

Jenner-F (go fast, shoot lasers at butts?)
Raven-3L (same as above but with ECM and SRMs?)
Centurion-A (zombie SRM brawler, should I throw an AC in the arm or just leave it empty for more missles?)
Centurion-AH (free mech for some reason??? I'm guessing I should use this over the A for the bonus cash)
Hunchback-4SP (less tanky SRM brawler with more laser backup?)
Cataphract-4X (I hear gauss is bad now? I had 2 gauss in this before)
Stalker-3F (has a bunch of large lasers in it, I assume this is lovely now due to ghost heat, maybe pile on a bunch of SRMs instead?)

Oh yeah also do the extra academy tutorials give you money beyond the basic part it forces you to do now?

Reztes fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

If a side torso is destroyed, any further damage to that side gets transferred to the center torso (armor, or internals if the CT armor is gone), right? I've forgotten how some of the mechanics in this game work.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

Several IS 'mechs have crazy range bonuses that will allow them to sit back and outrange clan builds with ER Large Lasers

If you're playing CW and you roll Boreal, it's worth trying out stuff like that

I think the list is: BLR-1S, most of the Quickdraws, TDR-Top Dog, WVR-6K, BJ-1 and -1DC, Cicada-X5 and -2A, Raven-4X, Commando-1D, and Locust-1M

Most of those get 25% energy range bonuses, and if you stack that with the ER Large Laser range mod, you do full damage up to 928 meters. The best the Clans can manage is 832 meters. If you use the -1M as an ERLL boat (and by boat I mean *one* ERLL), it pokes at 1096 meters for full damage

When WoL rolled as Kurita, the Kurita units like ARKB would literally just have a bunch of Battlemasters and the like stand on the ramps at Boreal, not even peeking, and they'd be able to melt any clan 'mech that poked its head out while taking bupkis for return fire. It was really something.

Yeah I'm grinding elite on Ravens, and the -4Xs 2 ER-LL build eventually kinda won me over once I got better at staying hull down and not peeking out of the same spot every time. I was definitely THAT GUY banking map votes for alpine in that thing.

Since getting all the basics on that one I moved to the 2X and thought it was dogshit. Now, though I'm running 4 MPLs and an SRM6, and good lord, drive-bys in that thing are mean. I'm ending every round in :siren::gibs::siren: condition, but it's pretty great at sawing off arms and coring out butts even if I don't have the 3L's ECM to keep me somewhat safe.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 9, 2016

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

I love my LRM60 Timberwolf. It kills robots gud and makes my team mad, so it's a double win.

Yeah I picked up the Hunchback-4J to elite that line, and it's pretty fun how quickly that thing can barf out tons of Artemis LRMs. On the other hand, it barfs out literal tons of missiles very fast, and then I run out of ammo and have an awkward rest of the round playing half a 4P.

This is the build I've been using, I think I'm going to cut heatsinks for more ammo, trying to find the balance between being cool enough to be effective when I lose the missiles vs. having enough ammo I hopefully never get to that point. Also whenever I lose the hunch side, running around with a single ML is :flaccid: as gently caress.

I don't own any good mechs with viable ballistic builds, is the 4G with AC/20 the better bet to finish off the hunchbacks?
E: Something like this 4G? Please tell me if/why this is garbage, thanks.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 11, 2016

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah I just left the default engine to be cheap in case I hate the thing and want to sell it off soon as I get all the basic skills. Actually though, I still don't really know which engines are common enough to warrant buying, so maybe a 250 is a good buy anyhow?

Also is 3 tons of ammo really enough?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Alright, now I have too many lights and mediums and my only heavy is a crappy CTF-4x. I assume if I want to do CW, I should have at least one good heavy even if I prefer to just go fast most of the time, what are the better IS heavies right now? I see a lot of Jagermechs, which look like they do well as long range ballistic platforms, and the thunderbolt looks pretty good and tanky. I take it from the above posts the Quickdraw might be good too assuming it doesn't get focused or see any quirk nerfs. Maybe I should just wait for the Marauder?

I picked up the HBK-4G last night and ran through most of the basic skills thanks to a lot of dumb lights who thought it was a good idea to stop anywhere within 400 meters of the front of that mech. AC/20 is a very satisfying way to get kills.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 12, 2016

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Zaodai posted:

Viridian Bog is like trying to fight inside a dumpster full of cinderblocks and razors. While drunk, and blindfolded.

I also really hate bog. It might just be that there's too much junk to read the terrain properly, but isn't it completely unbalanced towards the east side spawning team too?

Seems like the giant stairs up to the plateau on the west side of the central clusterfuck zone really favor the team coming from the east, who can just run straight up them and control the high ground. Coming from the west, you have to go all the way around the plateau, u-turn around a bunch of trees, and then climb up in the open with your back turned to most of the enemy team. If there's another way up there short of jumpjets I haven't found it, but again that map is filled with so much pointless clutter and bullshit maybe there is another way?

Either way, every time I get the west spawn there, our team loses badly after almost immediately losing the high ground. And the only map that seems to draw votes more reliably is Crimson Strait, which I kinda like so why is bog so drat popular :confused:

Reztes fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 15, 2016

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Drakes posted:

Since all the weapons are LLs on left/right sides it works fine, having weapon groups for left/right sets of LLs isn't bad at all. Helps when peeking from cover or avoiding blowing off an arm of an ally that gets into your line of fire.

My stalker is running 6x LL now and yeah I have LA/RA/torso groups both because it's a hot as hell build and the torso hard points are way lower than the arms so you usually can't poke with both together.

I've got a big pile of cbills again, can't decide if I should grab some heavy IS mech so I can put together a deck for CW, or get a shadow cat and a firestarter or something on sale. If I go with the former, I just have no idea what heavy/assault IS mechs are good and on sale now

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

sebmojo posted:

A comedy jaeger DD build that is still ridiculously fun is 2x LBX10 4 MG and 2ML. It's not strong until the end of the match, but it's basically heat neutral so you just survive for a few minutes then head towards an assault with all your buttons pushed down shouting METALSTORMMMM and watch them melt.

Sold!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

novaSphere posted:

I'm a little sad that my hipster robots like the Blackjack and Quickdraw are so mainstream now. I wonder if they QKD will get to keep their quirks after getting shrunk.

Yeah I lied above and bought a Quickdraw 5K instead since it was on sale and Jagers aren't anymore. This is a really fun mech, I'm a little sad it needs to run an XL, but I started with the 3 LPL build and it's been great fun so far.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Is the solo kill award exactly what it says, or is there just some threshold above like 75% of damage dealt or something? I've gotten it in a few fights where there is just no loving way I could have been the only guy to hit somebody but I still got the solo kill bonus when they died.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

So, wow, the LPL Shadow Cat is just an amazing murder machine :stare: Low profile, high mounted hardpoints and ECM make it amazing at constantly poking without attracting attention, and the great speed and jumpjets always get me to the right place at the right time.

Just for funsies though I put a targeting computer in it since it's my very first clan mech, and uh, didn't notice much of a difference except I ran hotter since I had to drop heatsinks for it. Saw some targeting comp. shaming posts above too, so are they ever a good idea?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Endbuster posted:

If you're above 45 percent cooling efficiency and have tonnage to spare/filled up all your weapon hardpoints you might as well toss a mk.1 computer in.

The Shadowcat is an amazing murder machine against the deaf, blind, and retarded. Its made of tissue paper and once you start climbing the tiers people are going to catch onto your poo poo and deny you the opportunity to snipe. Enjoy it while it lasts, cause it is super fun when you're playing idiots.

I had to 1v1 a shadowcat at the end of a match on HPG manifold. I went basement and chilled out until he had to come down and fight on my terms. He died.

Yeah pretty much if someone does notice and decide to focus it down you kinda just have to run away and find more cover, and sometimes you get whanged in the right torso a couple times and then it's off to be a mobile ECM for whoever's still around. Thinking about running it into that basement makes me sad, gently caress that I'd just take the draw.

That said I hope this at least carries me through tier 3, poking clueless robots to pieces is pretty fun and makes a lotta spacebucks.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Friction posted:

Polar Highlands is a good map and I have absolutely no shame.

Even got ERLL range mods.

I just converted my 3F to a Rhino build from a LL boat this weekend :negative:

Almost every single round I've played in it this week has been on Polar. The exception was one game on HPG manifold though, that went much better. :getin:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Stringbean posted:

Are Centurions worth it even at the sale price? Looking for a new medium to work on. I have the HBK-4SP which is one of my favorite brawlers, should I just get more hunchbacks and elite them? What I'm saying is, tell me of an IS Medium to buy goons.

I'll also endorse eliting Hunchbacks. The 4J is probably the best mech for when you get that guilty hankering to LRM. I really like that with the Tag and 3-4 ML, you can actually kinda contribute to brawls too as long as you keep around 200m from whatever you're making GBS threads missiles on. The AC/20 G is also great if you don't have another platform for the most satisfying weapon in WMO.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I was playing earlier today and someone on our team offered to help a catapult on our team out with his build by telling him to replace all his LRMs... with LRM-5s :shepface:

So many pubbies want to use VOIP as counter-productively as possible, I swear. Had a guy in a King Crab who spent literally 95% of the match that he was alive trying to tell one other guy about a terrible build he saw in the previous game. He ended that story with "oh, and now I'm dead, great thanks for waiting for your assault mech, assholes, there's guys behind us shooting me".
...Wow, man, first we're hearing about it, if only there was some way you could communicate your situation and the location of the enemy team!

Oh yeah, I bought a Ghost Dad too finally. Incredibly efficient for farming spacebucks if nothing else- spawn, lumber forward, round corner, do like 400 damage and kill at least two dudes, die gloriously in under 5 minutes, hop in another match. It's like doubling my income/hour or something.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

The Rhino really is the best, I'm so sorry I ever tried to make you a boring LL sniper robot Mr. Stalker, I promise it won't happen again. Until PGI breaks SRMs or something again.

My IS CW deck right now is Rhino Stalker/Ghost Dad, LPL Quickdraw, Hunchback 4SP, Raven 3L. That's either 15 or 30 tons underweight, so it could be better. I've been thinking of swapping out the Hunchback for another heavy, maybe a Jager-DD since it's 1.) on sale and 2.) dakka. There's just so many drat mechs now since I came back to this game it's hard to know when I'm overlooking something good. I'm only looking to do CW for the free mechbays right now though so I suppose it doesn't have to be optimal.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Weird, this is my Rhino version:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=47&l=6ec16cf7037e2ae62302a15f4d743acc252e93e5
It's quite hot if I have to melt more than one CT at a time, but I also run out of ammo more than I'd like. Still, 88 point alphas are great. I do see the appeal of the 5M's CT energy slot, my Stalker gets popsicled pretty often.

ZombyDog posted:

A Boomjager can be brutal in a CW deck, as long as you don't let your self get primaried and as long as you don't run out of ammo. The boomjager's lack of endurance when it comes to drawn out CW fights is it's weakness.

Is Boomjager dual AC/20 or Gauss? I was thinking of going for the DD with triple UAC/5, is that version lovely now?

Reztes fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 28, 2016

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

This match was going so well. I got all the pubbies to Follow Dad across the river and we were up 4-0 when Dad Died and then it all went to poo poo.

:pgi: bracket builds! :pgi:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

sarmhan posted:

Is that a stock MAD 3-R?
That is a brave pubbie.

Yeah, well, it didn't go particularly well for him

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Hey does anybody know how the pre-match countdown and ready button work?

If everyone hits ready, the timer will jump down to 10 seconds, but sometimes it also jumps down with one or several people not ready. I'm assuming there's some kind of mechanic where if a player chronically doesn't hit ready, the game will just like auto-ready them in the background, so people who are just lazy shits can't waste 60 seconds of everyone's time every game they play.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I think I may have suffered some brain damage today because I'm considering giving pgi money again.

What's the most cost-effective way to do that now? Seems like the web store mech packs, or the in-game store mastery bundles since if you pick the right one you're basically getting a bunch of mechs/bays for the price of a month of premium time, yeah? Are the (s) variants in the $40 collectors bundles different from the normal versions in any way besides the cbill bonus?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

Shoot marauders in the legs. Otherwise go for CT.

EDIT: Probably shoot stalkers in the legs too.

If I get into a dad vs dad situation I shoot for the SRM racks.

Man I found a stalker today running 3x LRM-20s with what had to be almost totally stripped leg armor on Polar. I was pretty salty about getting that map with a 6ML cicada until I came over the rise and saw that guy. Leg kills on silly boat assaults feel good.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Dakka Jager's so fun, I think I've survived a lot of fights I shouldn't have otherwise due to my constant shell impacts disorienting the gently caress out of people

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I bought the Atlas D-DC a while ago when I was too broke to configure it properly, and then I forgot about upgrading it until today. Finally playing it properly with Artemis and oh my god :black101:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Bait and Swatch posted:

This happens on HPG manifold too, when you are trying to JJ onto the wall. I've had it slingshot me straight up, have gone over the wall and have been sent backwards like the hand of god was telling me no.

Where do you have to jump from to get up on the outer wall again? I remember seeing somebody do it in some video but I can't seem to find it anymore and it sure seems like the perfect place to put a shadow cat or other JJ & ECM mech.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

So many loving games today on terra therma and caustic where first thing some shitlord goes "everybody rush the middle" and then everybody just charges right out into the hottest, most exposed, easiest to flank area of the map and we all die inside of three minutes gently caress this stupid game and the assholes who play it

I somehow only have 4 matches today with over 150 match score for the weekend challenges gently caress everything

Reztes fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 15, 2016

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I'm watching some guy in tier 1 running this Mad Dog build, and it's a total murderbeast when he catches someone out, flamers seem to actually be making a big difference in the brawls.

By the way, is that the most SRMs you can effectively cram into something? Better than a Catapult A1 at least until the size re-scale I would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah any laser vomit build that comes up against two or more flamers is gonna be at overheat within like two alpha strikes now. 2x flamer 4x SPL ACH wolfpacks are looking pretty nasty now too.

• Locked thread