Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Are you going to be going for a second wave at Pearl? Or are other matters more pressing?

Also sign me up for I-168!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Takanago posted:

Whew, the Kongo is safe. Would have been embarrassing to get some major damage or sinkage on Day 3.

Were there any times in the past LPs where somebody's boat got taken out really early, and not just because it was expected like the Repulse or the Prince of Wales?

I think someone lost the Enterprise once. Can't remember who or where though.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

God, if Grey nails the Enterprise four days into the war ...

Is everybody's shivving thing still on the table?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Three months from now, Chungking will become a battle that will make KIAfeng look like children's playtime. The best (?) part is that it won't be Grey's fault.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

They are loving plotting with the battleships, because grey hunter maybe failed to sink ANY.

Is Grey just unlucky, or is WitP just that bad at modeling single actions? Is there any possibility of a "battle off Samar" type action, for example, or would Japanese BBs and CAs brush aside Allied DEs and CVEs every time?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well, he didn't gently caress up Pearl Harbor the first time he went there either, if you get my drift

:perfect:

How many days of bombing in game would it take to get a "historical" level of damage at Pearl? Seems like every time I see a WitP game opening the first raid isn't nearly as painful as it could be (should be?).

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

ZiegeDame posted:

Does this mean those are your planes now?

Nope; they're considered destroyed on the ground, I think.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

goatface posted:

60 kg bombs won't do much, might blow off an AA gun if it hits the right place. If most of them were 250s or even some 500s then they might be hurting a bit more.

Is there any way to tell what bombs they were carrying? Or even make a good guess? I'm guessing no, because grog games dot tee ex tee.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

So if Chungking is Japan's Kaifeng, what will be its weird "KIAfeng" nickname? "Chungkilling"?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I am beginning to think the Zero's capabilities are strongly overstated.

I think somebody mentioned that this game's air combat model strongly favors the dive attack (it gives excessive bonuses for starting at higher altitude than the other guy)--that's the form of combat that US planes excel at. So I'm not surprised.

The more I see Grey play these kinds of hyper-detailed grog wargames, the more I question where the devil the devs justified calling these games "realistic".

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Chungking falls twice in a day?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Wouldn't it be immediately obvious that a set of painted soldiers is made of gold instead of plastic, tin, pewter or lead by virtue of gold being much denser?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Comstar posted:

So all up...a draw? No the decisive battle the IJN would want.

Which Admiral was in charge of this?

Heck, until we get confirmation of a second dead Allied carrier, this might have been a win for them (1 carrier confirmed down on their side, 1 CV and 1 CVL on ours).

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Wow. That was certainly a thing.

Although it's kinda funny how your BBs blasted BB Idaho 60 times and it still took the Betty's torpedoes to tap it out.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Is it time now for :ese: or should we wait until the AI admits any losses?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Can you load up the game as the Allies and confirm which carriers if any were sunk? Call it getting hands on American newspapers from spies or something, since this seems like the kind of thing SIGINT SHOULD be tracking instead of, you know, Tokyo Bay Fortress.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Hornet_sinks_the_entire_Japanese_line.jpg

Those are BBs, so it's more like Pearl_Harbor_but_done_PROPERLY_THIS_TIME_MY_GOD_NAGUMO.jpg

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

All of them. The ones that matter, at least, they've probably got some garbage CVE's and such left.

Battle off Samar says gently caress YOU, CVEs TOTALLY MATTER! :flipoff:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

For all of your considerations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMfBKrdErY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q47GIgmQWo

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Davin Valkri, count your lucky stars!

Aaaaah! How far is it from friendly port?! It needs to survive to sink a carrier!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

That's a bit off for a haiku. How about--

Croctopus grows fat
Consuming Japanese souls
And US flattops

(And for the tanka...
But naught will date its hunger,
Such is the way of all war)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

ZiegeDame posted:

Bombers can't hit you if you're under water

They can't sink you if you're already sunk, eh? Obviously what works for submarines works for battleships, too! :v:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

37 troops, 53 guns

The engine uses "guns" to mean "artillery pieces of any caliber", so...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

the last pilot flying the last plane drops kamikazes the last bomb to sink the last ship carrying the last marine

I think I see our plot for this world's take on Peace on Earth

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

The Japanese army probably sent a poorly fabricated note signed "The Navy (who sucks)" explaining how the navy has concluded they're a bunch of honourless dogs and don't deserve the fine Japanese craftmanship and they should just concentrate on building tanks for the army because the army is so much better and cooler than the navy.

Doesn't the army also have their own airframe production which was presumably also turned off?

I'd just blame the UI and WitP's obsession with rivet counting.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Hacking my way through 600,000 Chinese troops will not only give me 2,800 points it will REMOVE 1,400 points from the Allied score – for a net change of 5,600. This is if the losses from the battle are even."

Wait, how does this point shift work? Those two values add to 4200, not 5600. And of course, that assumes you won't take massive losses somewhere else that'll drop your score.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ouch, thanks for reminding me how hard I got owned.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

So what angry shooty hell ship were those LCVPs acting as shell absorbers/"ablative armor" for?

Grey Hunter posted:

Air defence only works on the target hex.

"Most realistic WWII game", huh? :psyduck:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

May I politely suggest some form of Goons vs. AI game to head off the recriminations that seem to come from Goons vs. Goons games? Or at least Group of Goons vs. Single Goon games?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I still think you should open the game as the Allies and figure out what the heck is going on "under the hood". It seems like the game has broken systemically since Jan 1944 at least.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Took the wife out for the Gofundme mandated meal today,

I'm currently digesting four different animals (the gammon is hiding under the eggs) and she very much enjoyed her Yorkshire wrapped chicken and stuffing followed by Rolley-Polly crumble and custard.

This is the first food selfie I have ever taken. needs more hexes.

The egg yolk must invade Potatoland and Peasworld.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Load the game as the Allies and manually disband all the units in Chungking--they're all basically "ghosts" anyway, since in any normal wargame they'd be out of supply or straight up would not exist. It's only because of this game's stupid, STUPID modeling that they're causing you trouble.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Splode posted:

You must be fun at parties

Is it a Thach Weave joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Wow this game sucks, please never play it again

Incredible LP tho

Pretty much. It was cool watching you play but every excruciating step felt like anti-advertising for the game.