Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I've been poking around the Steamer projections cause I'm getting the fantasy baseball itch again. Couple thoughts:

Catcher looks god drat barren after Posey. You'll probably be OK with McCann or Russel Martin but they could both easily hit <.240. Is Schwarber the clear #2? Like Napoli or Gattis a few years ago, this could be the last time he's eligible at C, but Schwarbers better than them. I love "catchers" who aren't actually playing the position, they get more ABs and don't get beat up by foul tips and stuff. I like Mesoraco a lot IF he's healthy.

Steamer thinks Correa is the #1 SS but thinks his .233 ISO will come back to earth. It projects him at .275 22HR 21 SB which is still great but maybe not top 10 overall like some ppl are valuing him. Steamer also has Trea Turner in the top 10 shortstops, keep an eye on that guy for sure. Could steal 30 bases. OTOH Steamer doesn't believe in Brandon Crawford's power spike at all. Which makes sense since it was such and outlier. Not what I want to see as a Giants fan though.

Bogaerts sure had a weird season. After hitting ~15 dingers at every level, he drops to 7 last year in 650 PA. FB% drops from 41% in 2014 to 25%, but he hits .320 on a ridiculous babip. Wonder if the Sox had him change his approach to make him more of a contact hitter?

Is Ottoneu worth the money? Never played a Dynasty league before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Matz bounced back from that beatdown, Corey Seager finally did something, and it looks like I squeaked out a win in my goon league.

OTOH Russell Martin's been literally worse than not rostering a catcher, these first couple weeks.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

Carlos Rodon :negative:

rodon had a few of those early last year and i dropped his rear end

then he started striking out like ten per game

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

doesn't look like the Pirates have made their lineup yet.

https://twitter.com/mlblineups

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups and http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/daily_lineups.htm are good too. ESPN/Yahoo/etc. are wrong or late with lineup info all the time, you can't trust them

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Speaking of Betances he's as ridiculous as ever and I love having him in my league that counts holds. In fact I'd argue that he's the #1 RP in holds leagues and should've been drafted in like the 5th round. Dude has a real shot at 150 Ks this year. As a relief pitcher. :psyduck:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bryant finally picked up OF eligibilty in ESPN. Hooray for flexibility and getting Travis Shaw in my lineup more

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I still believe in Corbin. He could be a 9 k/9 guy with that delivery and that slider. But he pitches half his games in the thin desert air, and the D-Backs 1st-half schedule is tough. I'm not going to write him off because he got blown up by the Cards and Pirates in AZ, but it doesn't get much easier for him:

@ Braves
vs.Giants
vs. Yankees
@ Pirates
vs. Astros
@ Cubs
vs. Marlins
vs. Dodgers
@ Blue Jays
@ Rockies

I might stream him on Sunday against the Braves but after that, yikes

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

:siren: Orioles vs A's postponed (and will play a doubleheader tomorrow)

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Nothing wrong with trading for Dee now but try and lowball the guy. You have all the leverage since Dee will be sitting there taking up a spot on his roster for the next 3 months (maybe your league has huge benches and that doesnt really matter IDK)

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Lance McCullers could be back as soon as this weekend. He's not a sure thing - walk rate was bad in the minors and improved when he came up to MLB, which might not be sustainable - and is coming off a sore shoulder. But he has huge upside and is only 49% owned in ESPN. I've had him stashed all year, so hoping for good things.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Starting Matt Harvey at Coors Field and I'm not even worried

I'm fuckin terrified lol

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Clayton "Never had a bad season" Kershaw career stats at Coors: 8 - 3, 4.63, ERA 1.30 WHIP

Friends don't let friends start pitchers at Coors

Moneyball you were right

resident posted:

Very glad I traded my 4 & 6 rnd picks to grab Harvey in the third. A+ move

I kept Harvey with essentially my 3rd round pick, so I feel ya.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Doltos posted:

God bless the Seager family and their continuous charitable donations to the Dinger Foundation.

that's 4 dingers in 5 games for Corey. He was OK in April, but I drafted him in the 5th, with guys like DeGrom, Cole, Strasburg, Xander, etc still on the board, so this is nice to see.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Dingers from Shaw, C. Seager, Bryant, and two from Joc; absolute gems from Kershaw, Thor, and Salazar; and my catcher stole a base. Pretty good day overall.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

With stolen bases down around the league, Villar was an awesome waiver wire pickup. 14 bags now, that's 2nd in MLB behind Altuve. Still <50% owned on ESPN btw.

The latest Sports Illustrated had an article that touched on the decline of the SB, actually. http://www.si.com/vault/2016/05/03/trend-spotting

quote:

CRIME IS down in our cities ... and in our ballparks. The rate of stolen bases sits at just over half a steal per team per game through Sunday—the lowest since 1972. After a brief surge in the late 2000s and early '10s, steal rates have plummeted.

While statheads and their purported aversion to steals are often blamed for the lack of baserunning derring-do, there's a more basic reason that predates Billy Beane or even Bill James: You can't steal first base. Today's game features historic lows in both singles and walks. When base runners do get to first, they're challenged by slide-stepping hurlers who throw harder than ever before, slicing precious fractions of a second off the time it takes to get the ball from the mound to the plate to second base. Those pitchers are delivering to catchers who are increasingly selected more for their defensive skills than their bats. The stolen-base success rate slipped under 70% last year for the first time since 2004 and has stayed there in this season's early going. The lack of steals isn't about sabermetrics, but a dearth of opportunities combined with improved stolen-base prevention.

Seems like a 30+ SB guy who doesn't suck in every other category is insanely valuable nowadays. I know I drafted Hamilton way too high hoping he'd be that guy, but nope.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I went back and forth on it but I kept Harvey with a 3rd round pick, I just can't bench him without proof he's broken. His stuff looked fine in the couple starts I've watched.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

Can we talk catchers?

I don't want to live in a world where Wellington Castillo is the best fantasy baseball catcher according to ESPN. What the hell.

Yeah except he's in a loving platoon now with some journeyman backup who hit a few dingers out of nowhere. Or maybe not but he keeps sitting and it's making me mad.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Also why the hell aren't the Rangers playing Gallo this is bullshit.

The word is that he could be sent back down tomorrow if (when) Odor's suspension is upheld and the Rangers call up Jurickson Profar to fill in. Seems like they don't want to rush Gallo/don't think he's ready, but injuries forced their hand. A few 500 foot bombs could change their minds I suppose.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Villar owns. Was anyone even talking about this guy preseason? Leads the league in steals now

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Eduardo Rodriguez is replacing Buchholz in the rotation. To me he is a wait-and-see in a 10-teamer but there's serious upside there with his stuff (mid 90s fastball from the left side). Had some fantastic games last year and some horrible beatdowns too.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I'm enjoying Mark Trumbo's career year.

Michael Corleone posted:

Is Yahoo scoring not working for anybody else? It was working when I went to bed last night but today it doesn't have any scores for Saturday games for anyone in the league and has X's by all the players showing they didn't play.

It's not just you. I'm not in any Yahoo leagues this year but a bunch of ppl are bitching about that on another forum I read.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Super Two cutoff date is coming. The latest it's been recently is 61 days into the season which would be around June 5th. We could see Taillon, Turner, AJ Reed next week? Anyone else?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Jingleheimer posted:

I'm in a H2H points league with weekly lineup changes. Who would be better to start for the week, Jake Peavy with 2 starts against Braves and Cards or Bartolo with one start against the Marlins? I normally go with the two start guy but my gut is telling me to go with Bartolo because he's been more consistent and I don't trust Peavy to not get blown up.

I hate even asking this but my pitching is so bad that I've had loving Jake Peavy on my roster for a month, and I need all the points I can get from my pitchers. My offense is good enough that as long as my pitchers perform not horribly I should win the week, so any input would be appreciated.

Peavy's velocity is down, walk rate is up and his breaking ball isn't breaking. Don't be fooled by his last start, it was the Padres. Avoid.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Last chance, Harvey. Turn it around or you're benched indefinitely.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

looks sharp thru 2 innings but i thought the same the last couple starts and welp. hit 98 on the gun just now!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Thor got a hold tonight. On my bench, of course.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Dusty Baker is not the Nationals GM

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Trevor Story: 31/15/38/3 .260
Corey Seager: 36/12/31/1 .283

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I'm totally Fangraphs scouting here but Upton's peripherals are not good. Brutal amount of strikeouts, not making contact, not hitting the ball hard, not getting unlucky on balls in play. I think you have to at least consider dropping in a 10-teamer. But again I haven't watched him at all this year.

He's also attempted 1 stolen base this year. Why? Is that on the manager?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I think Justin heard us trash talking him :tinfoil:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

guess who else just dingered

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

is Taillon a must-add in a shallow league where you'd have to drop someone good-ish?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I need a drop.... Trayce Thompson or David Peralta?

That idiot in my pro league dropped Rich Hill this time.

edit: Also sounds like Reed is getting close to a callup, so now is the time to pick him up.

FYI

https://twitter.com/JaneMLB/status/740665911049388032

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

getting concerned about McCullers. the Ks are great but the walks are a killer

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

thinking about dropping Beef Welington and picking up Russ Martin again

or maybe just saying "gently caress it" and not rostering a catcher anymore

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Drop W. Castillo for Russel Martin? Y/N

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I waaay overpaid in FAAB for Shawn Kelley, but at least Dusty is now saying he's the closer while Paps is out.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Any chance Rosenthal loses the closer's gig anytime soon?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

nothing wrong with benching all your players at the end the week. if the site lets you do it then it's a legit part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sounds like he's just getting a cup of coffee tbh

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/743486941342109698

and from Rotoworld:

quote:

Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune hears that Willson Contreras' stint in the majors this time around isn't expected to be long.
Contreras will be called up Friday, but Gonzales says the move is intended to be similar to what the Cubs did last year with Kyle Schwarber when they brought him up for a week before optioning him. The thinking is that they want Contreras to get acclimated to the majors so that when he comes back up -- possibly for good -- he'll be more comfortable. For what it's worth, Schwarber spent about a month in the minors after being sent back down last season and then returned for good. Contreras probably isn't a great bet in fantasy leagues this year, but it's possible he could steal playing time from Miguel Montero if Montero doesn't pick things up.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 20, 2016

• Locked thread