Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
It's time to to go Feros! Who do y'all want me to take with?

Believe it or not we've just got Feros and Virmire and then it's endgame time. We've got a couple more sidequests to wrap up but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I don't care how many kills Ash gets, she's terrible in 3 so she gets to spend time under the tanning lamp :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I discovered something this morning. I thought as long as you could see your target you could shoot it, but I was wrong. Past 400 yards you can shoot stuff but it does no damage.

...so you'll have to settle for a 398 meter headshot :legion:

monster on a stick posted:

Kaidan and Liara, most kills gets to be your waifu.
Done!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Mixed nuts

We head to Feros because there was a rumor about Geth being here. It's no rumor, fuckers are everywhere. Also everyone in the colony has gone a bit batshit. We turn on the lights and get folks water and hotdogs. Shoot some robits. Y'know, the usual. Like most sidequests doing all this poo poo is completely optional but we get a couple of levels and some cash out of it. Speaking of which I abused Dr. Michel's bug and sold bunch of crap so we're now sporting Spectre gear. Due to our level we can only get VII but it's more than sufficient as you'll see.

Poil posted:

Just make sure Kaidan is using an assault rifle.
Honestly he couldn't do any worse with one than he did here :downs:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

J.theYellow posted:

WHAT IN THE gently caress, KAIDAN.
This was pretty much what I was yelling that whole time. He's either shooting a wall, a crate, one of his loving teammates, or standing right in front of someone.

hard counter posted:

Let me just say Kaidan was lucky this wasn't for the virmire survivor spot :stare:
He is, or I'd strap him to the drat bomb myself.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

"If we use a powerful biotic, can we improve the power of this bomb."
"No, Commander, that's highly unlikely to work."
"I'm willing for you to take that risk."
"All that sweat is bound to improve conductivity! Get me some duct tape."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Maybe Liara cornered him and threatened to kick his rear end. His AI sucks but not usually that bad :tinfoil:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Geth who

We go to Trump Tower ExoGeni headquarters and find out what the Geth are after. Apparently it's a sentient head of cauliflower. It's really too bad you don't get the option to stop by the ExoGeni corporate offices and go full ham ala Dogma on their board. We defeat them via a not-surprising OSHA violation considering the state of everything else in the colony and along the way discover robots praying to light fixtures.

Ethan Jeong's P/R check is a real loving challenge to hit if you aren't cheating. You basically need a full bar which means if you haven't done every single goddamn main and sidequest up until now you just end up shooting him. Which is fine and satisfying in and of itself, but kind of a bummer if you were trying for a peaceful resolution and see those greyed-out options. I'd also like it more if the renegade option involved slapping the poo poo out of him.

Sorry this episode is long, but it made more sense to do it all in one go considering what we still have to do.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
^^^ I think it's low/lovely polygon count. Wide cheekbones look ok head on but turn the head at all and you get boulder face.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I am no fan of Mako, but this particular Mako section should have been thrown into an incinerator
It's made even more lovely by the fact you have to do it twice - out and back.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ikanreed posted:

I totally saw you knocking my fellow colonists out, but I'm going to conclude suicide is the correct resolution to this situation.
Yeah I don't know why you didn't have an option to talk him down or chuck a grenade at him. I guess it was more ~emotional and edgy~ to have him blow his brains out.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

My Q-Face posted:

There's that. It's something to do with fighting off indoctrination, sure, maybe as foreshadowing for a later encounter? But what I want to know is what happened to that guy in the tunnels who was fighting it?
Once we resolve the issue of mind-controlling cabbage he's fine and back in camp.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

My Q-Face posted:

Ah, I must have missed him then. Can you talk to him afterwards?
Yeah, you can talk to everyone you didn't murder.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fire Storm posted:

Well, it would be quite odd to talk to the people you did murder.
I dunno, Shep spent the last 15 minutes of 3 talking to a dead kid :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Feed me Seymour

We have a loud and heated disagreement with a plant. We win, of course. There are a few things about this mission that bug me in the narrative sense. Firstly nothing bad happens to ExoGeni. They used colonists as test subjects and neither the Council or the Alliance gives a gently caress. When you take the options we did you'll get an elevator blurb about how the colony is turning a profit and ExoGeni stock goes up. So they make money off of being horrible assholes. Also we get the endemic memories of the Protheans, but we (and Liara after she brain-drains us) have no idea of what the Protheans are really like. I can sort of excuse this being the first game and maybe they hadn't plotted out what we find out in 3, but still. You'd think things would be less of a goddamn mystery. Also we kill a thing that is probably the only of its type in the galaxy and nobody says "well poo poo we exctincted a species that's too bad."

This video is fairly short. We've just got our companion quests to take care of and then it's Virmire and end game.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

My Q-Face posted:

"Hey Commander, have you embraced eternity lately?"
"Of course he did."

DukeofCA posted:

The Thorian was a dick, no one cares.
Well, it was smart enough to bargain. Had anyone else communicated with it before Saren it could have been "Hey, you don't need to possess people, we'll take care of you in exchange for information." Thing's been around for tens of thousands of years. Also maybe it was delicious, we'll never know :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Well, curing Thorian influence doesn't necessarily translate into fixing what the Reapers do. I don't think they use spores :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

My Q-Face posted:

No, but the spores may counter the effects. Shiala spent a lot of time on Sovereign and got indoctrinated, but is fine after her encounter with the thorian.
This is a good point which I completely ignored.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Personal personnel

Doing a bunch of poo poo for people. The only one of these that really matters is Wrex's. If you don't do Tali's you can just threaten her in 2 and she goes "yup, that's Shepard!" Garrus's never comes up again. If you don't do Wrex's though...well, you're a horrible person :colbert:

I also realized I'd forgotten to do the Luna mission. Do y'all want to see it? It's 3x go to a base, shoot a turret, go inside and shoot some robits. The only thing interesting is the ending, and that only by virtue of knowing it's an embryonic EDI. I'll still do it off-camera if people would rather us get to the good stuff.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
AFAIK the only difference is that if you push him paragon he rejoins c-sec, and if you push renegade he tries out for the spectres. It all happens between games and makes no actual difference to the plot.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Judge Tesla posted:

There's some very flirty dialogue between Shepard and Liara in Lair of the Shadow Broker in 2 if you are in a relationship, it makes for a funny contrast with what happens throughout that content.
LotSB is fantastic in general. It's where Liara finally finds a sense of humor, and turns out she's actually funny.

YOTC posted:

A+ for music choice.

Poil posted:

Especially for Liara.
:haw: Normally when I put music in I get a copyright notice. This isn't a big deal since I don't monetize my videos. I didn't get one this time, so apparently Pat Benatar and the estate of Marvin Gaye don't give a poo poo if their stuff gets used in LP's. Thanks guys! And a bit of trivia: If you go see Pat Benatar in concert (and yes, she's still touring in small backwater venues and you should see her because she still sounds fantastic) she won't sing the words "Before I put another notch in my lipstick case" because she hates that line - she always lets the audience do it :v:

give me thread posted:

I can't seem to watch the latest video on my phone. It says the video is not available. Is anyone experiencing the same?
I just tried on my phone and it worked fine, I dunno.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Buttass posted:

Random thought. I never really followed Conrad's thread through the third game. He keeps going on about his wife, but doesn't it eventually turn out she's made up?
His stuff in 2 makes me think no, but she's probably really glad he's out getting shot in the foot by Shepard saving the galaxy. If you do Jenna's quest properly in 1 (which we did) then he may live happily ever after with someone who isn't his wife!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Torrannor posted:

"This video is not available in Germany, since it contains music from UMG, etc."

:negative:

Anyway, if it's just conversations with crew members then I didn't miss much. It's not as if I haven't seen it all before when I played through the game.
GEMA sucks :mad:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Styx Theta

We speedrun the Luna mission. It's exceptionally annoying because it's just the same 3 bases but every time you take out a node it adds more dumb poo poo so each one takes progressively longer. The only thing vaguely interesting about it is retconned in; the VI is neonatal EDI. Lucky for us she doesn't hold grudges. And we get a specialization.

Virmire's up next. It's broken up into two parts, so who do folks want along for the ride? The second part I'm taking Wrex, so only 1 squadmate for that section.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DeusExMachinima posted:

uh, at the rate (of hilarity) that things are going, take Kaidan always :v:
What did I ever do to you? :mad: Actually Kaiden will be occupied in the second part now that I think about it. We have a dramatic cutscene to set up!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sir Potato posted:

I've never played ME1 before, only 2 and 3, and so I've only done the Genesis comic in regard to ME1 "gameplay," does the specialization transfer over anything at the beginning of ME2 or do you just start off from scratch like normal?

Great LP, though, SP. I've always wanted to actually play the game and I've tried, but like others have said, it hasn't aged well and the gunplay was just unbearable for me and I've never found a good LP worth watching of the game. Very much appreciated.
Kurieg posted the details but you just get some bonuses for importing a save. Genesis only covers the major events and is missing a lot of flags (understandable as a lot of stuff can transfer over). Now they have the Keep that they used for DA so you may be able to fine-tune a world state when Andromeda comes out, although it may not matter since it's set in another galaxy parallel to the events of ME3.

And you're welcome - I love ME and usually replay the trilogy every year or so. If you really want to experience ME1 I suggest getting a copy on PC and just hacking the hell out of it so you can one-shot everything and worry about the story. I make fun of stuff in the game but I have a great deal of affection for it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Dragon Age Inquisition had a system called the Keep so you could import saves across generations. I could see ME using something like that if it even mattered. From what I understand it's completely separate from this trilogy so other than having Jennifer Hale or Mark Meer record your going away message I don't think it's going to matter much :v: After 3 they probably want to just leave sleeping dogs lie and try to start over.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Beach Blanket Blasto

Me 'n Lazyfire put on our board shorts and flip-flops and head on over to Virmire to check in on the STG. Turns out Saren has built a secret lair and is breeding an army of Krogan. The actual science behind this is never explained, nor is the fact that since Krogan are a very long-lived species how they're accelerating them to adulthood in what's assumedly a couple of weeks. Don't blame the game for this, cloning is a common sci-fi trope and nobody ever explains how all their clones are automatically grownups.

Because we're good people and bothered to do Wrex's personal quest, he's upset but sides with us in the matter. Should you skip it, he gets really mad and then Ashley kills him rather spontaneously. Like no signal from you, just blows him away while you're arguing with him. I don't know why you'd want to kill Wrex as he's completely awesome, but should you choose to do it then the ME universe becomes a much worse place, IMO. His fill-in for the rest of the series is his half-brother Wreav, who is way more regressive in his thinking and will probably end up with the full extinction of his species.

Kirrahe is an awesome dude (bit of a cloaca, though) and the first time I heard his speech it was pretty moving. If you do everything right in the next section then he survives and turns up again in 3, where he is also awesome.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Halloween Jack posted:

I watched my wife play through the end, and she didn't get a good one because she isn't a pedantic side-mission completist to me. Please just spoil and tell me there's a "Why am I talking to my recurring nightmare? gently caress you I'm a go make blue babies. Peace out" ending.
Yes, it's called Citadel, and you play it after the stupid ending sequence and pretend that's how the game actually ends :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I've got the second part of Virmire recorded and I'll have the update out shortly. Got one more short-ish video to wrap up everything on the side and then it's end time. We're taking Liara for plot reasons, who do y'all want as the second?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Drakyn posted:

Wrex agreed to help you blow up a bunch of clogans in exchange for a shot at Saren's head, and it seems rude to go back on such a reasonable implied deal.
Well not to spoil anything but I took him on the 2nd part of Virmire. However I have no qualms about taking him everywhere and don't give a gently caress if we can't open crates.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

whowhatwhere posted:

Who? Oh, Quarian info dispensary. I don't think she actually does anything after joining, does she?
To be fair to her, she's extremely useful on geth-heavy missions on higher difficulty due to AI Hacking/Damping/Overload. But plotwise not much.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Ashley's rear end in ashes

Lazyfire joins me again as we take out Saren's Krogan factory. Along the way we find out that he's also fiddling around with indoctrination and his ship is AN ACTUAL REAPER dun dun dunnnn. Which means Saren has been riding around in a sentient robot's colon the whole time, ew. We sort of take the piss during Sovereign's little speech but it's pretty cool the first time around. In the first game they do sound detached, arrogant, and rather alien. They get much more chatty later on, sort of destroying the illusion of uncaring machine gods.

We're also artificially forced to leave one of our crewmembers to die and sorry Ash, you'll get a nice plaque on the Normandy SR-2 someday. This section probably gave quite a few people fits the first time they played it, thinking they did something wrong. But nope. It would have been cool if you got something like in DA where you could have the other squad members who are ostensibly sitting in the Normandy with their thumbs up their asses mount a defense or rescue mission, but Bioware decided somebody gonna die. It is also kind of nice that there isn't a happy ending no matter what and someone you might be attached to eats poo poo.

Virmire seems like a point of no return but it's not, you can continue to do missions after you get hosed over. Including ones for Hackett which is just goddamn silly considering, but I guess nobody likes Udina and won't rat you out. You can even go back to the loving CItadel and run around in the embassies with no one giving you poo poo.

One more update to wrap up loose ends and then it's final mission time! I'll probably take a short break in between games, like a couple of weeks but then we'll dive right back into 2.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It would have been 100x better if they could have worked in a BttF joke there somewhere.

Recording our final wrap-up sidequests tonight so update in the next day or two. With some judicious editing should be able to take care of the final mission in 2 updates. :toot:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MA-Horus posted:

Or hate your team-mates that spout the same lines over and over again.

"I WILL DESTROY YOU!"
Maybe I'm giving credit where it isn't due, but I'm pretty sure that's Bioware taking the piss regarding the enemy chatter in ME. Also it gets brought up again as a joke in 3 directly.

Sir Potato posted:

I"m really excited for the next updates. I've seen the game being played before, but somehow I've never seen Ilos so I'm really interested to see how different it might look. Hopefully it looks different, anyway.
Oh, dear :( I mean, I guess it does (stuff grows there) but we spend 90% of the time in what is effectively a sewer, sorry.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's totally possible to do non-romance runs, I've done them on both FemShep and ManShep. Part of the problem is that unlike DA2 & DAI there isn't a clear romance/flirt option so probably what happened with Ash is you progressed her too far into romance (probably by nothing more than being nice) and then when you shot Liara down the game's math said "romance=Ash." If you got the scene where someone comes to your cabin you're considered in a relationship even if you tell them you have a headache at that moment. It's not a great system and why I was a dick to Kaiden a few times; if I wasn't then I'd end up in a conference room having uncomfortable conversations with K&L over "choosing one of us."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hard counter posted:

Earlier Bioware games were bad about this. In DAO I got treated to a terrific cut-scene of my PC loving Zevran because I had good approval and I misread his proposition question re: my comfort with his bisexuality. No Zevran I'm not that okay with it :mad:
All of the romance cutscenes in DAO are just eye-gougingly :stonk: Semi-triangular pixel people loving with underpants on because nudity was too much. I'm kind of glad DAI went with full naked because a) the graphics are a ton better and nobody looks like a horror and b) yes, this game is rated M for mature and seeing tits or man-rear end makes a lot more sense than people going at it wearing knickers. If that's too much for you then do a no-romance run (or romance Solas so you don't see anything :haw: ).

Sir Potato posted:

Ah, well, I suppose that's what I figured might happen. I've only seen one picture of Ilos, probably the Wikia image, of like a really vertical space with pods and poo poo sticking out and thought maybe the whole level might have been like that. I guess I'm still too used to ME2 and 3's large-scale game zones.
That's the sewer part where you spend most of your time. You are outside for maybe 10 minutes and you can see a tree or two!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Also (and Mass Effect suffers from this same problem) apparently there is only 1 store in the entire universe that makes/sells underwear because everyone wears the same stuff. Like not even a color variation. "These are boy underpants, these are girl underpants."

e: and now I've actually spent irreplaceable minutes of my life discussing videogame underwear. Goddamnit.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 29, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

I think we've found the thread title for the 2nd game.
If I didn't already have something picked out I'd go with it

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
For posterity's sake

The Council/Udina gently caress us over (what a surprise) and we steal the Normandy in retaliation. Please remember this moment, I sure will, you rear end in a top hat Udina. Also we make Conrad pee himself and check in on some group called Cerberus that we'll probably never hear from again.

Kahoku's stuff is especially stupid: "I totally found out about this black ops group and they're after me, so I'll flee the military because I'll surely be safer on my own outside of my ship/base/loving entire Navy :downs:" There was another Cerb mission I did and forgot to record all of it, but it's another "go here and shoot some poo poo in 3 identical bases" where this time instead of Rachni you shoot husks so we're not missing anything at. Cerberus is also responsible for our unit getting thresher mawed on Akuze, They're sooper dooper evil guyz! Good thing we won't have to work with them later or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Usually if I gently caress with Shep's appearance I shave her head - makes more sense if they've been operating on her brain :v: But I did already record the first part tonight so I can edit the unskippable poo poo at my leisure, sorry. Same hairstyle :(

• Locked thread