Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

'diners, dine-ins, and dads
Next thread title.

pahuyuth posted:

'Dine Dad reporting in:

Eating KO Kipper snacks slathered in freshly prepared Colman's mustard, with plastic fork and paper plate, all the while scratching my back on the corner of the wall while watching The Wire

Am currently pleased

Dadliest post of page 17.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I WILL ALLOW ALL ONION CHAT ITT

ONION RANKING:

RAW
1) red for nonfatty things green for fatty things
2) white
3) shallot
4) yellow
5) sweet
6) leek

SWEATED
1) shallot
2) Cheapest unless you need color

CARAMELIZED
1) sweet
2) yellow

BRAISED (IN SOUPS OR ROASTS)
1) Motherfucking leeks forever
99) yellow
100) green for some Asian poo poo

ROASTED OR GRILLED
1) sweet

That is the wisdom of experience, chilluns. Write it down.

Also grilled green onions are awesome with steak.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

They are gutted. Apparently sometimes you can get one that still has guts and it tastes bitter, according to mouth-full-of-sardines blog guy. I do not know how they gut tiny fish.

You just squeeze 'em and the guts fly out the wazoo.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Hmm...

I wonder if a sardine vinaigrette would be good. Sardine oil, sherry vinegar, and some mustard emulsified and served on salad.

This is exactly how, and I think the only way, my dadly neighbor eats salad. Of course he puts the 'dines on the salad too. He prefers HOT TITUS so his taste is suspect but he's still a 'dine dad.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sheep-Goats posted:

I wonder if they eat the bone
bones, they eat the dang bones

Sheep-Goats posted:

When I want to buy Chinese foodstuffs I will go through the poo poo on the shelf until I can at least find something made in Taiwan. Would never eat a Chinese food product if there was another option. The reason is I lived in China for a while. can read.

Fixed for me.

Thump! posted:

I'll pose the question again since it was looked over but now we're talking about affordability, where's the best place online to get tins of quality dine's at affordable prices?

I got four-packs of KOs at Costco last year for a tiny bit under $2/tin. Shop sales, or find other quality products. I try everything but so far the king is the king. Those russian ones are comparable but even more expensive than KO. Right now I'm working on trying all the never-heard-of foreign brands at the local asianmart.

Sup dads, it's my birthday toda...well was until 11 min ago. Didn't eat sardines but I can still smell the fish sauce from my pho lunch.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 7, 2016

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
nah dude brown rice is tasty but hard to cook correctly

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Cook it in the oven. Also make sure it's fresh. Whole grains have protein and fat in them that can go rancid.

Basic recipe:

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups brown rice
1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter
3 cups boiling water

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place rice, salt, and butter in a casserole dish that has a cover. Pour boiling water over rice; stir.
Cover and bake in preheated oven until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven, fluff with fork, and serve hot.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sizone posted:

is there a way to make it that doesn't require exponentially more energy than it contains? seriously, boiling the water and running an oven at 400 for an hour is way more of a carbon foot print than that poo poo can possibly be worth.

I should break your goddamn nose. Carbon foot print indeed.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Admiral Bosch posted:

I also won top prize in the haiku contest! I get the feeling a ton of people did, but here was my winning entry:

I won a gift card
At a work Christmas party
Gonna buy some 'dines

I knew that was a goon as soon as I saw it. I also got top prize.

xmas eve draws nigh
delicious little fishes
give me strength to wrap

DiggityDoink posted:

not sardines but if you wanna be a pro dad, get a smoker. smoking your own meat is definitely near the top when it comes to dadliness

you get to drink beer and slowly watch something turn into the best food you'll ever eat

I cure and smoke my own bacon. Once you try it you will be unable to go back to that poo poo at the grocery store.

Also reubens are awesome. Rye bread is dadly.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 19, 2016

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Here's a little tribute to the moms in this here dadchat thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWSJR2pL46M

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
The funny thing is that now I'm spoiled for the good poo poo, I actually eat a lot less bacon. Which is good for continuing to be a dad and all.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

the yeti posted:

Y'all got me buying odd brands of canned fish now just to see what they're like. Thanks thread.

Ditto. I'm waiting for my Royal Taster's Kit so I had mackerel on the brain. Grabbed this from the asian supermarket and had for lunch the other day:

Just ok. The fish was hammered to the point where it was even still like it was crisp on the outside almost, but the "chili" sauce was just sweet and uninteresting. Doused with grace until interesting. Still, a worthwhile experiment.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
you're making me uncomfortable

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
All is forgiven in fishy brotherhood, friend. :ehug:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I got my prize too!

Here's a "First place" package:

Three tins of 'dines, a 'dine can lid, a coupon for a tin of 'dines, and a 'dine bottle opener. :cool:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
That's pretty dadly imo.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I made my own cloudy pickles. It's cheap and easy.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
poetry and pickles

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Huge_Midget posted:

This thread is great and full of wonderfully dadly things. The recent pickle/kimchi talk makes me happy. However, have you heard about the good word of liptauer?

What is liptauer you ask? It is a wonderful dadly concoction of cheese and magical spices, utterly perfect to go with black breads, pretzels, etc. There are recipes out there to make your own, but I will stand by my opinion that the liptauer that Zingerman's makes is the best stuff on earth. Also, if you don't know what Zingerman's is you obviously aren't from the great lakes and I feel sorry for you.

I am going to have this in my face. I love sheep milk cheese. Once a Slovak exchange student stayed with us and I made bryndzové halušky from scratch, but I had to use feta because I couldn't get bryndza.

Also kimchi and definitely jiggae are totally pro-dad.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
dads hate wasting poo poo. we pay for the poo poo.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
asofetida also comes out your pores and makes your rear end smell fetid.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I gotcher plump bulb right here

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sheep-Goats posted:

In the North of China you can get these really cheap bowls of noodles in broth except the broth is quite thin and the noodles are plain wheat so there's very little flavor. The way you eat them is you pour some of this black vinegar into the broth

Koreans eat raw garlic too, like after dinner mints! :confused:

I love me some black vinegar. I make my own hot-and-sour soup on the reg. I add white vinegar to it though because the black adds great flavor but not enough sour.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
We've officially jumped the shark. There will be sardine floaties at the swimming pools this summer and shithead hipsters in King Oscar t-shirts.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Planet X posted:

Interntional use of antiflatulants is highly undadly. Proceed with caution

post of the century

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Well that sounds capital, BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress, absolutely capital! I shall sally forth!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
More fancypants 'dines for lunch at work.

omega 3 status: nom
bones status: eated

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
That's a Campari you philistine.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Epic High Five posted:

runny yolks are kinda gross and don't taste better

Objectively wrong.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I like to know a nice trout farm. I ain't got time for fishin'.

I like fishing, don't get me wrong. I just don't have a lot of time.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Epic High Five posted:

Switched to Beach Cliff in Louisiana Hot Sauce for this week (they're okay 'dines, and only like a dollar for the daily stash) and the sauce they use is tough to pinpoint. It's DEFINITELY not an LA-style red vinegar weak rear end sauce, it's got a little kick but still no hotter than a Sriracha. I dunno it's weird, but good I approve

I had an emergency can of these at my desk. Ate em today because I forgot to take my KOs out of my lunchbag and they were super cold. Pretty boring, weak sauce. Big mushy fishes. Doused in sriracha and ate on saltines anyway.

Sizone posted:

hi, welcome to not gws, no one gives a gently caress

my sides, lol

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sheep-Goats posted:

Anchovies are never dines despite being small and oily. This is due to the funk. The funk is mostly from the processing rather than the fish but the fact remains.

Good quality anchovies are not funky. They're kind of a nice place inbetween 'dine and anchovy, taste-wise.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/12196163/Edible-cutlery-could-this-simple-invention-help-save-the-world.html

Dadly as gently caress.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sheep-Goats posted:

Canadians have a little of that UKness in them that makes them prefer really bland branding. Like in the UK if there was a new orange soda they'd call it "Orange Drink" and be really proud of that poo poo and in Canada it'd be like "Citrus Sip" and in the US it'd be "Savage Sections from Roky Erickson"

Roky Erickson fuckin rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsARUH_t8Ao

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sheep-Goats posted:

Gg on the pizza I don't gently caress with breads

Fucken traitorous bread

Bread made me its bitch for years but I finally got the hang of it kinda. No kneads are a good easy start.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUV4e58SkXc

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
do not fret, dadfriend

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Not fish related but I had bun cha hanoi for lunch in honor of @bourdain and the prez.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

King of Bees posted:

Happy memorial day and I hope you got a chance to grill! 😉

I grilled some kickass burgers for my wife, kids, and a neighbor kid that was just hanging around.

Appetizer for me and the wife (no kids accepted the challenge)

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
grow out the dang bangs
eat the dang bones

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Bought a Capresso kettle on Cook's recommendation and could not be happer.

https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-Gla...p_89%3ACapresso

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Got hungry. Eating KO's in Dijon. Don't like the mustard. I like dijon, but this dijon isn't that good. The profile is full but flat. The fish are fine but there's too much mustard and it's thick and hard to separate from the fish.

Eating it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sheep-Goats posted:

I just put fridge mustard on regular deens when I want mustard deens, but I do understand the lure of the can

the king sent 'em to me for free because I wrote a haiku