Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
'Dine Dad reporting in:

Eating KO Kipper snacks slathered in freshly prepared Colman's mustard, with plastic fork and paper plate, all the while scratching my back on the corner of the wall while watching The Wire

Am currently pleased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

drat, are we twins? I have these ingredients almost exactly and I was going to post about 'dines rolled up in lavash with mustard, horseradish, cream cheese (or brie) with spinach and kale thrown in.

Your choice of beer is spot on as well.

Re: Kippered herring- what brands do you 'diners like? I've only had Crown Prince which are good I guess without having anything to compare them against

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Randarkman posted:

Mackerel is great for dinner as well. Barbecued mackerel is amazing.

Goddamn that looks delicious but I can't find any mackerel at the big chain grocery stores around here. The only time had it was when I got my KO taster pack. Where did you get yours?

Likewise the only kipper snacks I can find are Crown Prince brand which are pretty good but I'd like to try some others. I guess I'll try someplace like Trader Joe's.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Saw some jars of herring in wine sauce and herring in cream sauce (both refrigerated) at the grocery today. Anyone had anything like this? I love kippered herring but haven't had it any other way.

Also opened an issue of Men's Health magazine to a random page which had a big ol' 'dine sandwich picture in an article by Alton Brown. He eats a can of 'dines every day. We are in good company, 'dinegoons.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

ChrisHansen posted:

Count me in as a pickle recipe wanter

Same.

These are delicious-

Now how about some beef jerky talk?!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

ChrisHansen posted:

I went shopping and forgot my free dine coupon but bought them anyway. It felt pretty dadly

forgetting everything is the epitome of dadliness so yeah

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Met a couple of old guys from Guyana and we started talking about recipes to make in a simple rice cooker. Imagine my delight when they brought up sardines! The oldest guy was singing their praises like no one else I have ever heard, even in this thread. Dude was loving awesome and told me all about his days as a young boy eating fresh 'dines.

Dadliness and 'dines are truly universal. :coolfish:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I felt like the King Oscar sardines in hot sauce were not nearly hot enough so I drowned them in some ghost pepper salsa

This poo poo is goddamn amazing but now my entire soul is on fire and I can't taste the 'dine and now I have the hiccups from the heat and it's driving me crazy and my drat kids won't let me finish fixing the lawnmower which I was taking a 'dine break from in the first goddamn place

10/10 will eat this salsa every day because it's less of a fiery hell than Dad life

/frustratedDad

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Epic High Five posted:

Tilapia is good but the fact that it's so expensive despite the fact that it's a bottom feeding cichlid that you could grow in a glass of water that eats everything on Earth activates my latent "you're getting ripped off" Dad sense

Like seriously it's the midwest so I know some fish is going to be pricey but that fish like a freshwater rat

I like swai

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

final2percent posted:

I had a stomach flu kick in right after eating a season can

spent 7 hours spewing sardine-stank from both ends

now the thought of eating sardines is no longer appetizing but still causes salivation

pray for me, sardine thread

I wish you well goon sir. Godspeed.

Eat more tiny canned fishes for a swifter recovery.

Source: none. proceed at own (delicious) risk.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I will chime in to say to NOT use Wasaba Light wafers. Those things turn into a flavorless paste the instant any liquid touches them.

Capt. Holt from Brooklyn 99 would like them, but not I.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Oh happy 'dine day! Found out that Sprout's Farmer's Market, which is chain of about 200 stores in the US, carries Bela brand 'dines in my area. I think they were $3.50 a can and I got 16 of the fuckers- half packed in olive oil and the other half in lemon olive oil. Gonna make some of the 'dine spinach tomato soup tonight.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 23, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Got some Crown Prince Natural Kippered Herring, and did not enjoy it very much :( There was barely any flavor to it all, least of all the naturally smoked. It was just bland. I like Brunswick kippered herring much better but I don't think it is MSC certified like the Crown Prince. Roland brand is pretty good though. Forgot about that one til just now.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Tried the belas with the red pepper on the tin. Fish were large but decent. I detected no pepper flavor at all. Disappointed.

Bela is by far the best brand I've had yet, but the Lemon Olive Oil flavor is a bit too overpowering for me. Still the Bela fishies are big and tasty on their own. Way better than King Oscar IMO.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
No 'dines in that picture, in what looks like a prime 'dine eating workshop. -10 dad points

Pop quiz: Of the tools in that room, which would you use to open a tin of 'dines if the pull tab were to snap off?

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 27, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Currently taking a break from mowing my lawn- sitting on my mower eating a tin of Bela 'dines with my fingers and washing it all down with water straight from the garden hose.

The dude Dad abides.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I came home to find my eldest eating my Belas. This will not stand.

My goddamn kids eat everything in sight and they too like sardines but goddammit they will NOT eat MY 'dines. So, I have taken drastic measures... I now have 4 tins in my car, 4 tins in my desk at work, 4 in my locker at my gym, and several hidden throughout the house and garage. My hellspawn have now been told that their 'dine rations are IN THE CUPBOARD AND NOWHERE ELSE. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. gently caress you, spawn of mine. Get the hell away from my little canned fishies. I will fight you and win.

I mean I love my kids generally but some most days I love my sardines more.

I think I have problem am I still an OK Dad????

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Dirt posted:

Hello Sardine thread. :coolfish:

I read this whole drat thread at work the other day on my phone for some reason, and now I have a craving for a food I have never tried. I also googled a bit about dines, because I was bored, apparently they really are very healthy to eat! I am not a big seafood guy, so this is all new to me.

Picked up one can of these bad boys today:

Probably gonna eat as a snack later tonight. I will let you know how it goes. I have no idea if I will like it or not.

I too started with those and they are good gateway fishies.

Saw some "fresh packed" herring fillets at the local grocery fish counter and was about to buy the gently caress out of them... until I saw the sodium content. Was something insane like 2100mg/90% of the RDA or something crazy like that. Did not buy.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
edit: got-dang double post

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Found these mofos today-

Anyone tried them? I've never had anchovies before except on pizza or as paste. Tomorrow I'm gonna lay in my hammock and eat the gently caress out of these and some Bela 'dines.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

I'm Crap posted:

dines consumed straight from the can, over the sink, bottle of hot sauce sambal oelek in the off hand = best dines

ftfy

Today in the parking lot of the grocery store a gentleman asked me to jump start his car and in return gave me $10 for my "trouble" and said "get yourself a six pack". I spent it on more 'dines, of course.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

I'm Crap posted:

yah, the hot sauce i was using was sambal oelek from a huge half-liter squeezy plastic catering-sized container

also i was shirtless and two six packs in

I like your style

Here is a fun read ROYAL ORDER OF THE KNIGHTS OF SARDINE

"The next time you pop a tin, stop and think about The Royal Order of The Knights of Sardine, and the sacrifices they made for you to enjoy that tin of Sardines."

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
goddrat that is a mouth watering thing of beauty right there

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

numberoneposter posted:

got a hankering for some deaners

I got my deaners did u get urs????

I've had quite a few people (cashiers, other customers) make positive comments upon seeing my 'dines in the checkout lane. However they do look at me strangely when I get at all googly (goonly?!) eyed talking about my canned fishies. I am not ashamed. Bought 20 more tins of Belas and 6 Wild Planet white anchovy tins today.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hmmm. I will try it based on your recommendation, good sir. I see it every time I'm at the store drooling over the KO's and such but have not made the plunge. Same thing with oysters. What brand do you get? In ink or not?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Both recipes look delicious but I'd go with the tacos!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Nice haul but an even better calendar!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Anyone had John West Kipper Fillets in Sunflower Oil? Saw them today in the "international foods" section of Publix but they were $6/tin so I passed. Also, got a can of this

It is poo poo.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Thread inspired me to eat my very first dines. Just finishing a can of Bela and these are tasty.

You started out very well. Bela's are the best I've found in local stores.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

VendaGoat posted:

She's either further east then me, or I have yet to find her.

I married her. sorry you're welcome. My awesome but totally crazy rear end wife absolutely loves gin but her identical twin sister only likes scotch. Fuckin weird family they are.

I found out that my local large chain grocery store (Publix) can order pretty much any fresh fish (so they say), so I'm gonna give it a whirl and place an order for some 'dines and mackerel. Anyone here have any experience ordering fresh fishies through Publix?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So envious of those grilled fishies, goddamn.

Me? I'm shooting pool drinking beer and eating my emergency 'dines alone in my basement because my 5 goddamn kids and Memorial Day weekend guests have eaten literally everything else. I didn't even get to taste the stuff I grilled for everyone. Now go away ya fuckin moochers.

Such is Dad life but hey I'm eating dines anyway so whatever.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Had a new brand of 'dines today- Henry & Lisa's Portugese sardines in olive oil. 3 large meaty fish in the tin, and the olive oil was bit thicker than say, Bela's in olive oil. Actually they were pretty close to the Bela's in every aspect except that Bela's are lightly smoked. Same price too, at $2.99. Not a bad 'dine but I'll stick with the Bela's.

Oh, and for JacquelineDempsey - the tins were just plain :\

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Rice cookers rule. I've had my cheap $13 one longer than I've had my wife of 17 years and it's still going strong. Wife says I have an unhealthy attachment to it but what does she know it was around before she was?! My 5 kids know not to go near it upon penalty of an rear end whoopin', I tell ya what.

I bought a high end Zojirushi rice cooker to replace it a few years ago but returned it after seeing that it cooked rice no better than my cheapo one. Sure it had programming and was "smart" blah blah blah but gently caress that. My little one-setting on/off rice cookin' buddy has never let me down and we'll be together forever.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ellie Kemper (The Office, The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) and Stephen Colbert ate sardines on crackers together on his late night show either Wed or Thur night I can't remember. She did not like them. They looked big and meaty and with bones like Belas.
I was eating some at the same time and they were good. That is my news for an otherwise uneventful week of sardine consumption. Thank you.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 3, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Man, King Oscar WILD CAUGHT dines in olive oil are AWESOME. The bones are pretty much undetectable (for you wimps) and the flavor is good.

Like a true Dad I bite off and eat everything but the tail straight from the can, and the save the oil and all the little tail ends to eat with some good bread and pimento cheese. Sometimes just the bread.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Local grocery chain started carrying some Bumblebee dines I've never seen before, all labeled as "Wild Sardines" in fancier packaging than normal Bumblebee-
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Hot Jalapeno
Mango Habanero

Picked up the Mango Habanero. Will eat in a couple of days and report back.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

pahuyuth posted:

Local grocery chain started carrying some Bumblebee dines I've never seen before, all labeled as "Wild Sardines" in fancier packaging than normal Bumblebee-
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Hot Jalapeno
Mango Habanero

Picked up the Mango Habanero. Will eat in a couple of days and report back.

Finally ate the Mango Habanero dines. there were about 12 dines in the can, and about 6 chunks of mango. The mango itself was pretty bland for some reason, but there were hints of it in the dines themselves. It was mildly hot, not nearly enough to make me sweat so it loses points for that. Bones were not noticeable, fishies were meaty, and the overall sweet-hot taste was okay, but nothing great.

I give 'em a B-

What say ye about sea creatures in shells like mussels? I like to cook them in some white wine and pesto.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm almost ashamed to admit this but I love all you 'deener Dads so here goes... I've never had any sort of oyster. What should I do?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Thank you for the recent oyster advice. I'm definitely going to try them both raw and grilled if I can find any decent fresh ones near me. Also, if anyone knows where in Atlanta to go to have good oysters let me know else I'll ask in the Atlanta dining thread.

As it turned out, my first taste of them was a can of Chicken Of the Sea smoked oysters bought from a gas station in very rural Southern Georgia. I mean, it wasn't even a convenience store. They sold Pepsi, chips and candy bars, and sardines and oysters and gas and that's it. That's gotta be worth some Dad points, right?

My four daughters were completely grossed out (though they love dines) but my Son, the young, strong, full of future Dadliness man that he is, shared them with me and loved them. I'm so proud.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Crazyeyes posted:

Buying oysters in rural Georgia sounds like a recipe for disaster, my friend. Glad it worked out for you.

I didn't even look at the expiration date. DAD HUNGRY! DAD OPEN TIN CAN! DAD EAT SEA CREATURES! DAD OK.

VVV I wish I had taken pictures of the gas station. Chernobyl is likely a step up from this place.