Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Watterson's 100% anti-merchandising, anti-licensing approach is extreme, but since virtually everything else is taken to the opposite extreme these days, I can't help but admire it. It's comforting to know that there's a franchise that will never be run into the ground.

It's, like, the only one I can possibly say that about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Penguin McMahon may be worth the price of admission streaming, not gonna lie.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pick posted:

I love, love, love animation, which is why I can also hate animation.

"I don't like animation; I love it. If I don't love it, I don't watch it."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think it's supposed to be your typical "grass is always greener on the other side" fable. Not to suggest that it's wrong to better your situation, but rather, a situation that appears to be "better" actually might not be.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cheese Pain posted:

E: Since there's conversation about old animation in the thread lately, what do people think of Prince of Egypt? I'd never seen it before so I watched it on Netflix last night.

The animation was lovely, despite some obvious CG mingling with traditional animation that looked a bit out of place (Though I'm sure it was impressive at the time). The hieroglyph dream sequence was fantastic. I didn't really think it was the best movie ever, and the squat tiny foreheads everyone was rocking were a little disconcerting, but the visuals definitely made it worth checking out.

It's certainly guilty of reframing the text in somewhat of an American action hero context, but certainly not moreso than most Hollywood movies (including The Ten Commandments), and in any case it's an absolutely incredible musical. You kind of always have to bend the story to fit a musical, so as long as you can get over that, it's a great watch (and listen, again and again).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

On the other hand Disney chooses to teach this lesson to the only disabled protagonist* they've ever had, and there's still a romance in the movie but it's between two able bodied characters.

Practically speaking, in the Disney version his disability is reduced to "being ugly". So it feels somewhat deserved that he's rejected by someone whom he idolized primarily based on her physical attractiveness -- i.e. something he felt he didn't have. Having gained more self-confidence by the end of the movie, he appears to be set free from the unhealthy infatuation (the same one that consumed Frollo) and he doesn't even really have to go through an actual "rejection" to get there. Seems like a win to me.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The little booklet that comes with the Miyazaki bluray collection actually has a lot of great little essays he wrote about his movies. I think most of them are actually the pitches he wrote before making them. But they give a lot of insight into what he was going for. With regard to the ending of Mononoke, I think the gist of it is he's a pacifist and he felt that a "kill the bad guy" ending would've compromised the whole anti-war, anti-destruction message of the film. He preferred to see the villain's ideals rebuked by way of redemption. (Well, and Ashitaka killing a whole bunch of dudes, but I guess that's not supposed to be the happy part.)

Similarly, the lack of any overt conflict in Totoro is intentional. There are still little conflicts here and there of course, but mostly the movie is just about making the most out of life's little disappointments. But it makes them feel as big as they do in real life, without piling any artificial conflict on top. Personally, I love that he not only felt it was worth making a movie about that, but did such a good job conveying the emotions that percolate in those situations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Alhazred posted:

Monoke doesn't really have heroes and villains though. Eboshi does cut down the forest but she also provides jobs and shelter for people that would otherwise starve. And while she does kill the forest spirit she only does it because it's the only way that the emperor will leave her alone. Meanwhile, Mononoke does try to save the forest but she does it by killing every human she possibly can.

I guess I should've said protagonist & antagonist, but the point basically stands.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
How much the look & feel of a movie resonates with you is very subjective, but makes a big difference in terms of watchability. If you love the way a movie looks, there's value in every frame regardless of the script. That's not to suggest that a movie is somehow "cheating" if it looks good but has a bad script, because visuals are a huge part of what makes a movie good. Ideally you have both good looks and a good script, of course.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah it sounds like the rewrites basically added all of the things that are interesting and beloved about the movie . I can't get mad at that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I rented it for free from the library, but Die Hard 5: The Russia One is the only movie I've intentionally set out to watch but had to flat-out give up on. It didn't even have the decency to be so bad it's good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel similar about it, and I really wanted to like it. I guess the movie just seemed TOO clever in a way. Like the whole thing was spent explaining how the brain analogy worked and doing clever gags based on that, but then there wasn't really an actual story. Probably would've been better as a short.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm not sure what would cause more hilarious controversy; live action Disney's Hunchback or live action Aladdin.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shadow Hog posted:

That tweet cut off part of the image, but here he is in all his lovely glory:

If you want a picture of the future of animation, imagine a poop making the Dreamworks Face — forever.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shadow Hog posted:

"Kidnap the Sandy Claws" is fine. Helps to build up the fact that Oogie-Boogie even exists, which is good, because for as much as I find him enjoyably hammy, he feels like he's just kinda there. He doesn't really have a whole lot of bearing on the overall plot of Jack trying Christmas out and everything going horribly awry as a result; he was just needed for a climactic showdown as Jack tries to set things right afterward (since I guess Jack's eventful sleigh ride wouldn't have been climactic enough). Otherwise, he didn't really have any evil plans from the onset that Jack was thwarting; about all you get is "gamble with Sally and Santa's lives", which he only bothered with because they were both delivered right to his doorstep (be it against their will or as part of a rescue attempt).

Sorta curious how they would've handled the original Oogie reveal they'd considered having but ultimately abandoned, where Oogie was Dr. Finklestein, somehow. Still seems kind of out-of-left-field...
As much as TNBC is basically my favorite movie ever, there's no denying the climax is very tacked-on Hollywood stuff that has basically nothing to do with the rest of the movie, thematically. Pretty sure the original story idea had none of that in there, either. But it's just so friggin gorgeous to look at and listen to that I enjoy it all the same.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Das Boo posted:

I remember being four years old in 1992 and getting ready to go see Aladdin in theaters. The Ali Baba episode of Popeye was on and, being four, I didn't know the difference between Aladdin and Ali Baba. Much to my delight, I thought I was going to see the ending of the story before I saw the movie. But we had to leave for the theater before Popeye ended and kid me never got to see if it was the same. :( (I know.)

Well there was also an actual Popeye Aladdin short, maybe it was that? It's one of the three legit color Fleischer ones, which were all based on existing stories/legends rather than the usual urban setting.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It'll be interesting to see how Beauty and the Beast does because I think of all the movies Disney has converted to live-action, this is the first one that's really in that particular pantheon of Disney movies that milennials are absolutely crazy about and have memorized by heart. And you can already see how that's influenced the direction of the movie, because moreso than the others, this one seems very concerned with replicating every single moment people loved in the original.

Make no mistake, there's zero chance it'll be a flop, but how well it's received could impact further ones down the line. Or at least how they're marketed, I guess.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bimmi posted:

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the film, but they've been all over the marketing in the last few weeks and it feels a bit calculated.

Calculated, AKA marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm just spitballing ideas here, but tell me what you think of this:

Disney's animated Beauty and the Beast, but the character of the Beast is replaced wholesale with Jim Henson's Fozzy the Bear.

Awkward nerd who knows all he has to offer is his sense of humor, but isn't confident enough to really put in the work to be a good comedian. Blames a "spell" but it's really just his own lack of drive keeping him down. Sounds like an indie masterpiece.

• Locked thread