Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica is a 2011 anime written by Gen Urobuchi, directed by Akiyuki Shinbo, and animated by SHAFT, with character designs by Ume Aoki.

it is a pretty cool show with characters you care about and a neat plot that builds to a satisfying conclusion. It is not the deepest anime ever written, but there's stuff to talk about if you want to. It was insanely popular when it came out and even now has a fairly active fanbase, but I'd still advise anyone who hasn't seen it to give it a watch. I like it a lot, even if it isn't as transformative or insanely complicated a work as a lot of people like to play it up as. It's a well-executed show.

Characters:

Madoka Kaname (Aoi Yuki)

Madoka is an average middle school student with a happy, normal family. Her favorite things are animals, sweets, and stuffed toys.

Homura Akemi (Chiwa Saito)

Homura is a mysterious transfer student who first appears to Madoka in her dreams. Her favorite things are flipping her hair and ominous statements.

Sayaka Miki (Eri Kitamura)

Sayaka is Madoka's childhood friend, and the more active of the pair. Her favorite things are music and sports.

Mami Tomoe (Kaori Mizuhashi)

Sayaka and Madoka's reliable upperclassman. Her favorite things are baking and being a senpai.

Kyoko Sakura (Ai Nonaka)

A local delinquent who clashes with Sayaka several times. Her favorite things are food and Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Kyubey (Emiri Katou)

The magical mascot-like creature that gives the girls their powers. His favorite things are technically not having a gender, and cuddling in Madoka's pile of stuffed animals.

The series was followed with a movie in October 2013, continuing the plot from the series. While it is generally regarded as having excellent animation and interesting writing, some people dislike the directions the characters develop in, plus the fact that it continues a plot they felt was fairly complete. Personally, I liked it pretty well, but I agree that the series was fine without it.

There have been rumblings about either another movie or another TV anime, with teaser trailers and brief concept animations being shown in various places, but no official confirmation of either has been made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Manga

There have been several spinoff manga of the series, as well as a full manga adaptation. Personally, the only one I'd recommend is The Different Story - it fleshes out a few characterization and plot elements that were only briefly mentioned in the main series. It's side-material, definitely, but it's interesting side material.

The other manga, Kazumi Magica and Oriko Magica, have pretty lacking art and mostly try to recreate the superficial elements of the series while lacking the heart and characters that made Madoka Magica work. They aren't completely terrible, but even on their own, they aren't very good.

As for the manga adaptation, it's got fairly appealing art and is otherwise a straightforward adaptation. That said, a large part of the series' quality is in the voice performances, music, and animation, so there's definitely something lost in the transition.

Some other manga exist, but I have no opinions to offer on them.

quote:

Puella Magi Tart Magica
Number of Volumes: 3
Release Date: First volume released on April 21st, 2015, second volume to be released on November 17th, 2015
Current Status: Ongoing, third volume has been solicited for release, but no date on a Japanese or English release at present
Mangaka: Illustrated and written by Kawazukuu and Masugitsune (Doujin circle: Golden Pe Done)

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Homura’s Revenge!
Number of Volumes: 2
Release Date: First volume released on July 21st, 2015, second volume released on October 27th, 2015
Current Status: Completed
Mangaka: Illustrated and written by Kawazukuu and Masugitsune (Doujin circle: Golden Pe Done)

Puella Magi Homura Tamura: ~Parallel Worlds Do Not Remain Parallel Forever~
Release Date: First volume released on August 18th, 2015, second volume to be released on February 23rd, 2016
Current Status: Ongoing
Mangaka: Illustrated and written by afro

Puella Magi Suzune Magica
Release Date: First volume released on September 22nd, 2015, third volume to be released on May 24th, 2016
Current Status: Ongoing, second volume is current release
Mangaka: Illustrated and written by GAN

Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie: The Rebellion Story Manga
Release Date: First volume released on December 15th, 2015, third volume to be released on February 23rd, 2016
Mangaka: Illustrated by Hanokage and script altered from the movie version by the Magica Quartet

These exist. You can check them out for yourself if you feel like it.

The Games

There was a PSP game. It isn't very good. There are few interesting moments of writing, but it was never released in english, and for the most part it's just cheap jokes attached to a rushed and uninteresting roguelike. Good music, though.

Grief Syndrome is a doujin game, but it's a popular and well-regarded one, so I'll mention it. It's a fairly uncomplicated brawler, but it's competent at what it does and doesn't overstay its welcome, and has online co-op with a third party program. It's worth a look if it interests you.

the yuri

:siren: HOMURA AND MADOKA WANT TO KISS :siren:

also kyoko and sayaka

The Rules

If you post the word 'deconstruction' anywhere in this thread, you will be probated.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 9, 2016

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

is this sort of like sailor moon?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please add that Kyoko and Sayaka also want to kiss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pandaK posted:

its' a magical girl show, so yes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

pandaK posted:

no, it's like pretty cure

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Please add that Kyoko and Sayaka also want to kiss

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDu-2h8ZDhI

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

pandaK posted:

It's good you should watch it

Endorph posted:

The Games

There was a PSP game. It isn't very good. There are few interesting moments of writing, but it was never released in english, and for the most part it's just cheap jokes attached to a rushed and uninteresting roguelike. Good music, though.

there was also that ps vita game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't forget homura combat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive literally never heard of the vita game until just now, which i guess tells you how worthwhile that is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

ive literally never heard of the vita game until just now, which i guess tells you how worthwhile that is

You can pair up any of the 5 and they all have endings based on that, so they call it the Shipping Pentagram.

and then there's a "true end" where everyone defeats wal-mart together and celebrates with hot springs and a sleepover, and then the post-credits ending owns you. It's subbed on youtube iirc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i googled it and got a kotaku review of the guy whining about how the girls being happy robs the series of its DEPTH, so i like the vita game now

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The following is a public service announcement:

Using the word "Deconstruction" in this thread (excepting this post) will result in an automatic probation.

Thank you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
disassembly

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Disconstruct my rear end

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Using the word "Deconstruction" in this thread (excepting this post) will result in an automatic probation.

Thank you.

Please make this a general ADTRW rule tia

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

littleorv posted:

Disconstruct my rear end

Oh no. It was deconstruct I was looking for.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So, uh... Some things you might want to add to the OP:

There's a lot more manga released for Madoka than just the adaptation of the series, The Different Story, Oriko Magica and Kazumi Magica.

Puella Magi Tart Magica
Release Date: First volume released on April 21st, 2015, second volume to be released on November 17th, 2015
Current Status: Ongoing, third volume has been solicited for release, but no date on a Japanese or English release at present

Release Date: First volume released on July 21st, 2015, second volume released on October 27th, 2015

Release Date: First volume released on August 18th, 2015, second volume to be released on February 23rd, 2016

Release Date: First volume released on September 22nd, 2015, third volume to be released on May 24th, 2016

Release Date: First volume released on December 15th, 2015, third volume to be released on February 23rd, 2016
Mangaka: Illustrated by Hanokage and script altered from the movie version by the Magica Quartet

I'll have more detailed reviews later, but Madoka manga in general has seen an increase in quality, and Oriko/Kazumi are increasingly becoming outliers in that regard.

Bad Seafood posted:

Thank you.

Can you explain your reasoning? The word has legitimate usage and Rebellion in particular draws on the concept when it addresses parts of the series (the ending, most notably).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i haven't read any of those manga, so so I can't give any opinions on them. I can mention they exist though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Lord Justice posted:

So, uh... Some things you might want to add to the OP:

There's a lot more manga released for Madoka than just the adaptation of the series, The Different Story, Oriko Magica and Kazumi Magica.

Puella Magi Tart Magica

I'll have more detailed reviews later, but Madoka manga in general has seen an increase in quality, and Oriko/Kazumi are increasingly becoming outliers in that regard.

Can you explain your reasoning? The word has legitimate usage and Rebellion in particular draws on the concept when it addresses parts of the series (the ending, most notably).

Allow me to deconstruct this post for everyone.

Manga

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Endorph posted:

i haven't read any of those manga, so so I can't give any opinions on them. I can mention they exist though.

Thanks. It's a bit irritating that people are only aware of Oriko and Kazumi when they're the worst of the lot, and make assumptions on the rest based on the quality of those two.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Endorph posted:

to be fair to madoka who has ever heard of any games on the ps vita

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i thought this show was really good when i first watched it but my reaction has sort of cooled over the years. the third movie rules though and i like all the impossible architecture and epic shaft animation and how well it wears its influences on its sleeve.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Justice posted:

it's a word with legitimate usage that has often been used as lazy shorthand for 'this thing is deep,' especially in relation to madoka magica. nobody's ever really bothered to explain what madoka is deconstructing, why it's worth deconstructing, or how it goes about deconstructing it. they just say 'uhh, deconstruction' to justify them really liking a cartoon.

nobody's really saying you can't discuss deeper elements of madoka magica but the word has been kinda ruined, not to mention nobody using it really knows what it means.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I did not like how the third movie went down at all and wish for the day where I can get an anime of Aoki Ume just doing Hidamari but with Madoka girls.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Lord Justice posted:

Thanks. It's a bit irritating that people are only aware of Oriko and Kazumi when they're the worst of the lot, and make assumptions on the rest based on the quality of those two.

It's a bit hard to have opinions on the rest. Western exposure to them is usually limited to "hey guys, here's phone pics of the latest Kirara Magica, that an eleven snapped with their phone"

except the wraith arc manga, which everyone in this thread somehow forgets... wtf.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i have a friend who really likes this show and he talks about how "it's not really even a magical girl show it's more of a Shakespearean tragedy" and i'm really hesitant to watch it therefore

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Space Flower posted:

It's a bit hard to have opinions on the rest. Western exposure to them is usually limited to "hey guys, here's phone pics of the latest Kirara Magica, that an eleven snapped with their phone"

except the wraith arc manga, which everyone in this thread somehow forgets... wtf.

All of them ones I've listed are released in English, or are in the process of doing so. They're on Amazon.

Endorph posted:

it's a word with legitimate usage that has often been used as lazy shorthand for 'this thing is deep,' especially in relation to madoka magica. nobody's ever really bothered to explain what madoka is deconstructing, why it's worth deconstructing, or how it goes about deconstructing it. they just say 'uhh, deconstruction' to justify them really liking a cartoon.

nobody's really saying you can't discuss deeper elements of madoka magica but the word has been kinda ruined, not to mention nobody using it really knows what it means.

In relation to the series, you're absolutely correct, and Madoka isn't doing that. Rebellion, however, is doing it to the series. I'd try explaining but... Well, apparently that would get me probated now, so I guess that's the end of that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Madoka is easily in my top 3 animes, it's great and deserves its hype. Rebellion kicks rear end, though yeah, the series stands fine on its own.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Before I get people asking me about this, Endorph gets a pass because she's explaining why it's banned.

Littleorv doesn't because he's Littleorv.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It is my firm belief that Sailor Pluto could beat up Homura.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

alcharagia posted:

i have a friend who really likes this show and he talks about how "it's not really even a magical girl show it's more of a Shakespearean tragedy" and i'm really hesitant to watch it therefore

Many people say many dumb things about Madoka. It's a really good show that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone that doesn't break out in hives at the mention of anime girls. Watch it!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Before I get people asking me about this, Endorph gets a pass because she's explaining why it's banned.

Littleorv doesn't because he's Littleorv.
:rip:

Lord Justice posted:

In relation to the series, you're absolutely correct, and Madoka isn't doing that. Rebellion, however, is doing it to the series. I'd try explaining but... Well, apparently that would get me probated now, so I guess that's the end of that.
you can explain it if you do it in 200 words or less

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lord Justice posted:

All of them ones I've listed are released in English, or are in the process of doing so. They're on Amazon.

It's on a list of a series of terms that can sometimes be legit but more often than not just completely colors a conversation, if not being outright useless.

If there's meat to what you're saying it should be easy enough to talk about it without using that specific term

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

a cartoon duck posted:

It is my firm belief that Sailor Pluto could beat up Homura.

I can beat up Sailor Saturn, who can destroy everyone.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I think homura and sailor saturn should be friends instead of fighting eachother, but that's just my opinion

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

alcharagia posted:

its not a shakespearean tragedy its a goethean tragedy

but you should watch it the franchise is only 6 hours long and it's great. just the psychedelic animation is worth watching alone, visually it's like monogatari but looks much better and isn't insanely creepy like monogatari is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Jostiband posted:

I think homura and sailor saturn should be friends instead of fighting eachother, but that's just my opinion

Saturn hung out with Saturn and Neptune and they were all pretty big on that killing magical girls they consider a risk thing. Either they would bond over their mutual willingness to murder other magical girls, or murder each other.

• Locked thread