Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

"UFC - now that's a real sport!" literally just heard, spoken unironically at a Steak 'n Shake.

I mean the scoring system, judges and athletic commissions are bad for MMA but what's your problem with it as a sport in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

"I'm okay with the races mixing as long as they go home alone or with their own race" -only would mention this if he saw a pretty white woman with a black man.

Had a dude tell me he was disapointed in me for dating black people because he didn't believe in mixing the races.

I'm gay and so was the guy who was saying that to me. :psyduck:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Telemaze posted:

If you are then I'm an idiot too, cause that sounds fun to me. No reason professors can't have interesting but goofy hobbies imo.

I guess unless they were one of those bigfoot people who are way too into it and get all weird. Like the bigfoot version of chemtrail-believers.

e:

The relative's daughter is now 17 and already has two children with two different fathers. So she never even finished high school. I reeeally think her mom should've concentrated on the smartness thing just a bit more.

I'd be kind of weirded out knowing my ostensibly logical anthropology professor believed in pseudoscience and cryptozoology personally, if only because that kind of stuff could seep into their teaching

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

luloo123 posted:

This reminds me of a story an English professor friend told me. Early in the semester, the professor mentioned that her husband was an archaeologist and a student responded "how can he study something that doesn't exist?" Another student that semester told her that he doesn't believe in Native Americans because "no one was around to see them." Apparently, their grasp of American history is a little fuzzy.

I would like to know more about both of these things. What the hell did either person think they were talking about?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

If you're not aware, it sounds like some weird bit of nonsense, but it's actually an old-fashioned racism thing. It comes from medieval depictions of Jews as literal demons, and was re-popularised by the Nazis.

Yeeeeeah people are dumb but I'm pretty sure at that point that guy was just being a huge rear end in a top hat and was basically going to drawn out extremes to make fun of her. There are certain people who will take rear end in a top hat jokes to an extreme and act extremely ignorant to get a reaction, and if they don't get the specific reaction they want they'll just ride with it the whole way through. It's more common in dudes from middle school to college cause they tend to get weeded out when they're not in a forced peer environment type of setting but that poo poo isn't totally uncommon among weird assholes.

Not even the most fervent anti-semetic idiot believes jews are literally born with tails

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

No, the person I was debating with at the time was trying to make the argument that minorities literally have different biological structures than "normal" human biology, so it's impossible to apply universal healthcare coverage to everyone equally. Not quite Jew-horn mythology but definitely more than "sickle cell anemia affects black people differently" reasoning.

It's both racist and an astounding denial of reality.

This is a fairly common belief among people in China and probably other east-asian countries. They really do think they're structured differently and that Chinese medicine doesn't work the same for westerners

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RillAkBea posted:

My sister is a nurse and... yah. She has a creepy obsession with people with Down's Syndrome.

Uh... in what way?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

We have Euro SA posters who literally post this poo poo.

It will never stop being amazing to me when the very sane, polite UK people I know will go from bitching about about racism to talking about how vile travelers are within the same conversation

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lol

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VoteTedJameson posted:

Guy:"Not only can a dust mite survive at ground zero of a nuclear blast, scientists debate whether they're even biologically alive."

Me: Where did you find this out?

Guy: "For fun I read biology encyclopedias"

I'm not even sure what this guy was thinking of because dust mites don't fit either of those facts. Was he thinking of water bears or something? Cause even with those I don't think they can survive a direct nuclear bomb and they're definitely recognized as living animals.

The only things I can even think of that have a complicated answer to "are they alive" are viruses, and even with them the growing consensus is that they are in fact living

http://www.sciencealert.com/viruses-are-alive-and-they-re-older-than-modern-cells-new-study-suggests

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

"Ghosts are absolutely real and I know or else why would there be so many good TV shows about them?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIE1GaMlnA

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kreyla posted:

My dear mother is smart, but we had long arguments about her assertions that dinosaurs were mammals and that India, until very recently, was a primitive and undeveloped area.

Well, India kind of is, in a way. Probably not the way she's thinking but still

http://www.yourarticlelibrary.com/economics/what-are-the-important-features-of-india-as-an-underdeveloped-economy/3052/

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Geniasis posted:

I think the pep talk was essentially an "even you can grow up to be Ben Carson" type of speech.

Which is pretty rough. Talk about kicking someone when they're down.

I too want to grow up to be a man dumber than a rock who can somehow still perform neurosurgery and run for president. It'd be like living a stretched out early 90s SNL skit

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

taco bell did wrong by the concept, it's probably going to be a hard sell to a lot of people now.

Uh the breakfast crunchwraps are one of the best breakfast inventions ever. The rest is admittedly sub-mcdonalds quality but those things are pretty drat good

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Birb Katter posted:

What about breakfast chimichanga?

...Get out

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

The ones I've seen are metal and don't have buckles (they look like this). Apparently they're called Brannock Devices and literally every shoe shop I've ever been to has had one. Sometimes the staff don't even bother asking if you know your size because I guess they just assume you don't. :shrug:

They're kind of an outdated thing in America, probably by 20 or so years. I don't know of any places left that actually use them or even have people to assist with measurement or fittings unless maybe it's like some fancy custom shoe place or something

I know this cause my dad used to manage a shoe place 30ish years ago and he was talking about how no places bother with that stuff anymore

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what shirt or pants size I wear either. When I need to know, I check. Then I don't bother remembering it because I won't need to know it again for quite a long time. It's not like I'm buying new clothes every month or something.

Is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwigmktix2Y

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maggie Fletcher posted:

"Oh yeah, I'm part Native American too."
"Really, what tribe?"
"Ojibway. Largely Canadian, but my great-grandmother was born on a reservation in the south."
"...but you said Native American."

The woman is really nice but kind of dumb, and the rest of us at the table spent ten minutes gently explaining to her that "Native American" referred to all of the Americas, not just U.S.

To be fair doesn't Canada refer to them as the First Nations? I've heard Native Canadians thrown around in the past too.

Of course that woman probably wouldn't have known that either

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

Why? It's no different than "Excuse Me Sir, Do You Have a Moment to Talk About Jesus?"

I would be significantly more freaked out if a middle aged woman came door-to-door to introduce me to the singularity considering the thing you mentioned is actually something that occurs regularly

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

I was wavering on looking up the Roko Basilisk stuff again to make fun of cyberpunk doom and gloom apocalyptic preachers, but then I realized this is the perfect thread for it. I haven't had the privilege to actually hear someone talk about this in person, but http://basilisk.neocities.org/

I wanted to find a single thing to pull out and quote, but no direct quotes quite sum up everything without being a big wall of text. Basically, some people fervently believe that if you don't help create a super-advanced AI that will cause the singularity, then that AI will torture you forever. The AI will do that not with time travel, but by using that universe-is-a-simulation idea - their thought is that if everything is perfectly simulated down to the subatomic scale, then there's no difference between the simulated you and the real you, so an infinite number of yous get to be tortured for an infinite amount of time if God the AI doesn't like you. As far as why they're not being tortured at this very second, I guess they drew the lucky straw for which instance of themselves their consciousness is in

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/hallq/2014/12/rokos-basilisk-lesswrong/ seems to explain it a bit, but it gets kind of long

Side note, WOW do reddit style comment threads mesh with that color scheme and lack of whitespace to make for a completely unreadable mess, especially with such a linear topic. You'd think on a place that wants to even pretend to host serious discussions people would want to build on others' posts, but nope, gently caress it, just toss a bunch of words into the soup!

Wouldn't doing whatever you were doing anyway indirectly be supporting/allowing for a world in which the AI is created? This God AI is a semantic rear end in a top hat

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scathach posted:

How does she explain lesbians and us half-lesbians?

If she's anything like a lot of religious people I've known, you don't exist and women who are lesbians are just playing a selfish game of pretend

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think getting PTSD from losing a very close SO/spouse is not something I would ever claim as stupid or unlikely. Who the gently caress would ever even question someone on that

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Birb Katter posted:

"why don't babies have nipples" brings up a nursing website that says they probably do but are too small to see at such a young age. Either their google-fu is weak as gently caress or it's a fetish thing.

...have you and those people never seen a baby somehow?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

Why were you looking at other people's pubic area?

Why the f wouldn't you

And also dudes should trim but not totally shave, to lay down my long awaited thoughts on the matter

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kith_groupie posted:

I'm glad you liked it. To be a bit more on topic, pretty much everything that comes out of the North Korean propaganda machine is some stupid poo poo, I think everyone knows that at this point. However, anyone see the doc "The Propaganda Game" on Netflix? It postulated that because some of the information about North Korea we get is incorrect (apparently Kim Un didn't execute his uncle via wild dogs, he just had him shot) that maybe, maybe you guys, all of it isn't true? Maybe......we're being lead to believe that North Korea is actually a pretty nice place to live? Maybe.....the truth is in the middle?

I watched it and the end result is that North Korea is definitely fabricating almost everything it presents itself as but that other countries also just make poo poo up in the media about it and other asian countries, like the bullshit about everyone having to get specific haircuts and how they fed that one government official to dogs without any evidence. It was mostly making GBS threads on propaganda of any kind. Maybe you didn't watch the whole thing? Cause it definitely didn't end with me thinking any better of NK

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

We would build some incredibly efficient cities, at least. And Dwarf Fortresses.

Dwarf Fortress is pretty much exactly how it would go. Autistic President Obama would spend all our money digging a moat that pumps lava through it before he goes crazy and kills Biden with a flaming axe that has a picture of the moat engraved on it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

no i'm pretty sure it's the insult "politicunts"

Content: Upon drinking an incredibly hard to find imported drink without asking: "I didn't know it wasn't for me." :what: That's not how ownership works you loving klepto.

Pretty solid excuse actually. I mean I doubt it was labeled not for them

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was joking. The type of person who would do that and make that excuse is the type who would eat other people's food at work and say the same thing

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BlueKingBar posted:

Well, mostly mammals and small birds. Anything that lives around the ocean floor is anything but. Cough, anglerfish. Cough, gulper eel. Don't Google those if you don't like spooky creepy-crawly fish things. Primates in general aren't really cute, except maybe gorillas.

If you meant apes instead of primates I can see where you're coming from but there are a ton of cute primates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu55-haigoI

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Before my parents moved recently, they lived near a development that had the same poo poo, and insisted on driving me around through it.

That's such a parent thing to do that it's kind of adorable

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

Nurses and engineers are the two worst professions for pseudoscience IMO, followed closely by school teachers. I have no idea why that would be, except that all three pride themselves on "practical, hands-on solutions" rather than "doing things by the book"?

I'm a massage therapist and our field is definitely up there for that type of poo poo. Most massage therapists I've worked with or learned from have been fundamentally broken people who believe all types of insane poo poo. I have to be really gentle when I give clients advice cause I don't want to be like "reflexology and any sort of energy work are total bullshit" since most other therapists accept it, but good lord is it annoying. Also how many people come in saying "I have chronic back problems and I've been seeing a chiropractor and he's amazing but for some reason I still feel like poo poo" and I have to diplomatically explain that it's because they're not actually doing anything that would ever help them

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

Absolutely not trying to shut the conversation down, but there's a thread for exactly this tucked away in SAL that I could see people missing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3100175

(just skim past the arguments if you choose to catch up from the start, I gather it used to be in D&D)

Cool, thanks. Didn't know that thread existed

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Alright, I don't get this one.

Of course he'd be local, he's living right there at the house the guy delivered to. You don't get much more local than that

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's a long, rambling rant. Basically the tl;dr version is if there is an extinction level event and we sent 40 people off to another planet to repopulate humanity so we don't die out, gay people would not be helpful in that.

There's so much stupid in the rant that it's hard to distill it down even further.

Is this guy unaware that gay people are actually capable of reproduction, and have done so in the past

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Anyone who smokes weed is all about 420 blaze it and huge weed leaf decals on everything or a spiritual hippy. The majority of people who smoke aren't just normal people.

source your quotes

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Can we stop talking to the mentally ill guy now?

I went out to dinner with my wife and her friends and a friend of a friend's friend came along with the group. We were at this place that does amazing fried chicken, so I suggested it to people. This person screws her face up instantly. I figure she's a veggie or a vegan so no big deal, I told her about this amazing mushroom steak they do. She went on a rant about how chickens are battery farmed, and that this causes a build up of bad energy in them and so when they're killed, the bad energy releases and infects everything around them with bad energy. She specifically said it 'sours' other foods.

It was pretty awkward but she calmed down really quickly after the rant and just had a water for the meal, then picked up something from a food truck outside when we left. It was really weird.

Why do people like this even bother going out to restaurants with others? Most restaurants are going to have something chicken on the menu.

I mean I know the answer is "so they can bitch about it and get attention" but I can't even see a good excuse they could make

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Celts being ridiculous anime warriors is great. It's like listening to 8 year olds talk during lunch period

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I thought dingoes were extinct? or am I thinking of some other southern hemisphere canine animal

You're probably thinking of the tasmanian tiger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

I met an Australian a couple of weeks ago and he was telling us about spike-tailed wallabies or some other such probably fictional creature. I asked him if they're related at all to drop bears and he looked a bit surprised because I knew what a drop bear is and then said "no, because these animals are real."

Is Australia just a country filled with everyone's goofy but racist uncle?

• Locked thread