Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, I get that none of these kids seem to come from especially happy places, but Shihoru's implied backstory is just getting darker by the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

"trapped in another world" and amnesia plots are older than time itself. It doesn't automatically equal literal game world.

On the other hand, this setting is littered with game elements and the author literally provided a list of the games that inspired the story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

So in the next episode, Manatee pulls a griffith on everyone? Will Moguzo lose an arm.

Christ, no. Shihoru's been through enough hell already without getting Casca'd.

Dunban posted:

I'm enjoying this, but I feel like every single episode so far has the same pacing issues. There's a somewhat brief action sequence in the first half of the episode, but the majority of the rest of the episode is mostly spent talking and wading in melancholy at their home base or in the town.

Not that I want each episode to be 100% non-stop action, but a little more wouldn't hurt. So far the series has barely explored or explained what each character is capable of, which is a shame because I think that the premise is really interesting.
Like I said, I'm also not sure why the action sequences are in the first half of the episodes - it feels like each episode loses steam and sort of mellows out halfway through, instead of ending with a bang.

I think you're missing much of the point of this show. This isn't like SAO, the story of people getting an opportunity to escape the mundane world and be 1337 badasses in a fantasy realm, it's about a bunch of ordinary kids trying to survive being thrown into an alien world, with combat being a shocking, brutal, and unfortunately necessary intrusion on their lives rather than something fun they do to look badass and powerful. Getting functional underwear and not starving to death is the conflict they have to overcome, not beating titanic bosses to earn a ticket to escape back home.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
From back on page one:

Paracelsus posted:

I'm also really curious about the "Ash" part of the title.

Welp, question answered, I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Did feel they could have dialled back the death-flags a little, though. 'Oh well, I can ask him another time' was pretty on-the-nose as it was, and then they followed it up with '... or so I thought'. Kind of killed some of the suspense in that ambush sequence, which was a shame, as it would have otherwise have been pretty suspenseful and shocking. LN overwriting strikes again, I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nielsm posted:

This will always be remembered as the week when Grimgar turned grim.

How soon we forget Gob-kun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think she was just choosing to use her melee skills because she isn't very good with the bow. But yeah, there might be some sort of tiered thing going on where they can choose whether to focus on a certain type of skill. Like, if Moguzo wanted to use a shield (not sure if warriors can use shields in this) he'd probably have a different set of skills to learn, but he wouldn't be choosing which skills within that set.

The show and LN (moreso the LN since it actually covers the MC going to his guild) seems to give the impression that they go to the guild and the guild says "okay, time to learn X, pay me __ silvers" and they do so, rather than it being the sort of thing where the characters are shopping for abilities. So they might be able to say "I want to focus more on melee stuff" or "I want to use X type of weapon", and the guild then chooses what skills to teach them based upon that.

edit: One impression I've had from everything I've read so far is that there's no good reason not to have a party consisting of one priest and everyone else as warriors. Like, why do you even need a death knight or mage when the warrior can one-shot stuff while having the benefit of plate armor. In a video game setting it makes sense to have a variety, since there's usually a trade-off between survivability and damage, but in this series if the warrior smashes your skull in with his bastard sword you still die.

Easy - having scouts, ranged firepower, and stealth is super important for keeping your party alive and safe in a world where all death is permanent. Yes, plate armour means you can take a hit, but it's better not to get hit at all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah I can definitely see how ranged damage might be useful against enemies that also have ranged attacks (or trying to reduce the number of enemies before starting a fight); I was kind of being biased towards the fact that almost none of the enemies they've encountered so far fit that bill (with one important obvious exception). I imagine more varied enemy types will necessitate the use of more varied strategies and abilities.

We've seen Shihoru and Yume kill goblins from across a street. That's automatically better than having to kill them when they've jumped on your chest and are trying to claw your face off. Similarly, being able to sneak up on a sleeping goblin drastically reduces your odds of getting a sword through your gut and/or having the little guy alert his friends.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And this, kids, is why you don't PUG.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Basically every change the LN readers have mentioned thus far has been the anime removing typical light-novel goonery, for which I am thankful. It's very easy to imagine how a different staff could have turned this into a far worse show.

Hell, now that's got me wondering what Heavy Object and Grimgar would have been like if they swapped staff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

All the sadbrains complaining about quality are aware that they'll fix it for the bds right?

Right, but that's not much of a plus in terms of your week-to-week viewing experience in the here and now, right? I mean, assuming that this is something that disrupts your enjoyment of a show.

I mean, the show looks good enough to me, but 'aww, crap, I have to wait for the DVDs for this show to stop looking like poo poo' seems a pretty valid complaint if you believe that a show does, indeed, look like poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

My hope is that those people then take a look in a mirror

I am sure that the denizens of the SA anime forum present their immaculately-sculpted bodies to their best advantage at all times.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Fair amount of Yume's rear end in this episode.

... Yumass?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

:smith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Do we have a pool on who's going to end up smooching Haru. My money's on Yume.

Light novel convention says nobody will end up smooching Haru until a dozen or so volumes from now (wacky sitcom misunderstandings excluded). But yeah, he and Yume do seem to be pretty obviously set up as the show's main couple. Unless they go ahead and pair her up with Ranta. Which would be awful, but it's a particular light-novel kind of awfulness that the show has not shown itself to be totally immune to.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

darkgray posted:

Usually it's very hard for a show to maintain tension throughout the entire run of the series, but some shows at least start out with a good deal of tension before they occasionally squander it. Try some of these:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/19775/Sidonia_no_Kishi
http://myanimelist.net/anime/16498/Shingeki_no_Kyojin
http://myanimelist.net/anime/22729/AldnoahZero
http://myanimelist.net/anime/11757/Sword_Art_Online
http://myanimelist.net/anime/168/Scryed
http://myanimelist.net/anime/12029/Uchuu_Senkan_Yamato_2199
http://myanimelist.net/anime/820/Ginga_Eiyuu_Densetsu

I'm afraid they're not all great, but I seem to remember they had some great tension in battle for a time.

SAO had tension in a fight? When was that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

seconding one of my favorite shows, space battleship yamato 2199

The Yamato crew's too competent to give the same 'oh jesus christ we know not what the gently caress we are doing' vibe as Grimgar's motley band of losers, but it is indeed a good show. Kind of feels like new-Battlestar Galactica filtered through an ultra-Seventies anime space opera. And yes, I do know that the original Battlestar Galactica was an ultra-Seventies space opera, but I stand by my description.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
... well, that episode brought a whole new meaning to skill grinding.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Is the best translation really No Life King, rather than King of the Undead or Lich King? It just makes him sound like some shut-in rather than a terrifying undead god.

Sounds about right for the resident DM. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Zodiaco best grimgar

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

.Clash posted:

Yea this along with turning out the lights and that 3 frames per second "animation" was some serious bullshit. Oh and mage girl suddenly has nukes?

I assume, given how damage-light her arsenal is, that they just stun and knock back enemies rather than seriously hurting them. Good way to make some space for your party.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

...the gently caress?

Is... is it just me, or is that an astronomically low number? And that's kind of industry standard? Do they make their money almost entirely through related products and licensing, and stopped giving a poo poo for this market? How the hell is that anywhere near sustainable?

How :psyduck:

A significant portion (though not, it should be stressed, a majority - there's also kids' stuff like Youkai Watch, which has a far more sane and recognisable business model) of the anime industry depends on selling to a tiny audience with astronomically deep pockets. Yes, it is a strange and alarming way to do business that can end up massively distorting the product and narrowing its appeal, why do you ask?

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

i don't have any numbers for 2015, but in 2014 the market value of the industry grew with 10%. blu rays aren't very important, just like in the west

Anime is pretty diverse, and different sectors make money in different ways. How much of that number is mainstream kids' shows dragging the insular, ultra-niche otaku bait along with them? Because I hear that the kodomo demographic (as opposed to shonen, shoujo, seinen, and josei) is making bank in a way that massively eclipses anything Western adult fans bother paying attention to.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 31, 2016

• Locked thread