Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp

Calling it - nice cleric leader dude is gonna die next episode

Not that that there aren't death flags hanging over pretty much everyone... I'm not sure if this is the kind of show that kills of characters, but it sure feels like that so far.

That said, I enjoyed our intrepid heroes' grand quest for new underwear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Healer dead, called it

...not that anyone didn't see it coming

Whelp, in any case, that was a fantastic episode. Pretty much the best so far. I really liked all the different reactions to Manato's death - should be even more interesting next episode. And, hey, the other party showed up again, I'm curious what they have to say about all this...
Also, seconding that the goblins were great. It's nice what this show is doing to give them character, like the dude reloading his crossbow with his feet, goblin leader kicking big dude, and so on. I wonder if they're gonna have our protag's awesome dagger when they encounter them again. (And MAN I hope they do)

Unrelated: sure glad that this show didn't go the "trapped in MMO" route, because what kind of poo poo-tier MMO doesn't have revival

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i'm glad they're getting another chance to work with Mary next week, at least. i liked her a lot even though she and the crew had very different ideas of what a priest should do. i don't think it's weird to be on the front line, but saving heals for when they're necessary is something that they definitely weren't doing before (Ranta even thinks it's why Manato died).

I don't think their tactics were all that bad before - I had the impression that Manato stayed in melee most of the time to instantly heal any injuries, so that they could jump right back into fray instead of retreating. Could work, especially when the healer kicks rear end in close quarters as well. Ooooooonly it kinda falls apart when the enemy is smart enough to focus the healer, AND the retreat goes badly, AND you just heal too much. :v:
I think (and hope!) things will go better with Mary next time. Haruhiro seems like the type to see that Mary has a point - it's just that she does not give a gently caress for these losers, and with Ranta around, the two just got twice as aggressively annoying. (Clearly it's love.)

This is a really cool and relaxed show. Probably my top pick for the season. There's much less action than you'd expect, but what there is looks amazing. I'm perfectly happy with that, as long as we continue getting highlights like the intro fight, their first goblin murder or the disastrous retreat from the Competent Goblinstm.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Even I noticed some of the dodgier bits of animation this episode. Buuuuuut who cares, the bits of action were great. Ranta's Hatred move (or whatever it's called) looked especially slick, I think that was the first one-hit-kill against an awake enemy we've seen. Good job, Ranta :toot:

We've got what looks like an end boss lurking in the mines, so I bet they're gonna advance to the mines soon and fight the thing (nevermind how they could win against THAT, maybe team up with the other, competent gang?). And then come back to the ruined city massively overleveled and take revenge on the super goblins.

Also, new intro is much hornier than the old one

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hargrimm posted:

It's a shame that this show has such a nice aesthetic, but it just keeps getting underserved in the actual technical execution.

Like I guess the fancy cape emblem was too much of a pain to draw for more than one shot:

:(

At this point, I'm just hoping they're devoting all their time to the impressive action scenes we know this show can do...

Aaaaaaaaaany time now

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

GOBLIN SLAYERS :black101:

That was a nice episode. There might be quite a lot of song montages in the show, but I like them. Maybe I'm just a sucker for these montages of skills, little action bits, sneaking around and occasionally eating sandwiches.
It's about time we got a sweet nasty big action scene, though, and it sure looks like there's one coming up.

I'm still weirded out by the skill thing. It's perfectly normal moves that they learned... Instead, arcane and obscure techniques like "yelling hella loud at your enemies" or "quickly jump back" or "get better at aiming" have proper names and stuff. Uuuuuuh, okay? And levels are apparently an actual thing in this world? Really strange how RPG mechanics are around, but it's pretty much realistic, with the exception of the mages of course. Oh well. It's kinda charming.

Big fan of the Boss Cobold, too. That was one hell of an entrance with the swirling dust clouds and whatnot. Since it looks like the goblins are going down next episode, I hope that guy turns out to be the "final boss" of the season. Calling it now: Haruhiro's critical strike thingie (the move where he suddenly sees weakspots highlighted as green glow) will save the day against that guy when, in a sudden epiphany, he suddenly understands what it actually DOES :toot:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Great episode, they're really doing a great job with Deathspots! That's some giant poo poo-wrecking beast right there. Also funny how the kobolds kinda shrugged off Ranta's challenge and just pelted him with arrows instead.

It's really nice to see them come up with better maneuvers and stuff, especially when they're constantly being forced back themselves. That was a really nice trick with the firewall and the magic missile that the undead had there. Good thing they had that seriously :black101: move which took the warrior's arm off. This might sound weird, given how violent their first few goblin encounters were, but I think this is the first fight where actual limbs were being lopped off? Might just be because undead aren't the most durable of fellows.

A big flaming stink posted:

Also haruhiro hesitating to climb ranta probably got him killed.

Standing around and monologuing/thinking is kind of an anime staple, so I wasn't really sure how much time really was supposed to pass... But it does make Haruhiro look kinda slow :v:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I believe No Life King also appeared as a phrase in Hellsing at some point

That's true. It's one of Alucard's many fancy nicknames.
Given to him by Van Helsing, after the dude has thoroughly kicked his rear end and enslaved him to his clan. He says it while pointing out Dracula's kingdom lies in ruins.

This may just be because I'm not a native speaker, but No Life King never struck me as weird - sounds kinda poetic. I guess videogames did quite a number on my brain when "Undead King" sounds rather boring these days...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Cool anime. Somewhat lame finale. :geno:

I didn't like Death Spot's death at all. I expected it to be a super critical, and actually, it was even more metal than that - Haru (inadvertently) kicked his arm down as well, and he fell on his own sword :stare: Unfortunately, I couldn't see poo poo, and instead, we got Haru floating in the anime void, a lot of missing frames and filters, and done. Not to mention that the timing for the whole fight is kinda bad, too. First, they dissolve all the tension; then, they just drop a boss fight in their way, oh poo poo things are ramping up again, this is gonna be a close o- oh wait, it's done. Huh. And this might just be me, but Death Spots didn't seem nearly as intimidating as last episode. He felt much heavier in his last appearance... Dunno. I'm disappointed.

Also, cutting that Orc invasion arc, which I'm only hearing about now, is really distressing, would've loved seeing that. Maybe we'll get it in the future.

Overall, this feels like a stopping point rather than any kind of ending. Nonetheless, I want more. If only to see that Orc invasion arc!

Good show, final episode not really deserving of being any kind of finale, I want season 2.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

darkgray posted:

The first volume of the BDs is out and sold 4200 units, which is a bit below the mythical "season 2 line" of 5000. For comparison, KonoSuba v1 sold 9500 copies.

...the gently caress?

Is... is it just me, or is that an astronomically low number? And that's kind of industry standard? Do they make their money almost entirely through related products and licensing, and stopped giving a poo poo for this market? How the hell is that anywhere near sustainable?

How :psyduck:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

A significant portion of the anime industry depends on selling to a tiny audience with astronomically deep pockets. Yes, it is a strange and alarming way to do business that can end up massively distorting the product and narrowing its appeal, why do you ask?

I foresee a future in which anime is everywhere, except Japan, where the only way of getting it is buying one of 10 Blu-Ray discs (which are all bought by the same 3 guys)...
Are online subscriptions even as big a deal there? Seriously sounds like the way to go, because outside of merch, books & stuff, that does NOT sound healthy for any kind of industry (...which explains almost everything). At least with subscriptions + viewer statistics, you'd have more useful numbers than whatever this hideously mutated Blu-Ray market delivers...

Anime economy

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Davincie posted:

this is like saying hollywood is dying because people aren't buying dvds any more

Who said anything about dying, I said anime's going to be everywhere except Japan, no? :v:

I'm kidding

Seriously, tho, how's streaming/subscriptions or what not in Japan? Seems to me that's the future of the business, I'd be much more interested in numbers about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Pros
(...)

All the weird animals. That's definitely not a cat. Fat frog. Pig things.

Cons
(...)

You'll be pleased to hear, then, that the fat frog is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxn56l9WcU

I totally agree with your points, BTW :toot: Really chill show with absolutely excellent action scenes. But the final "fight" was underwhelming and kinda colors my impressions of the overall season negatively, like you said.

I kinda like Ranta, tho. He's a total unrepentant stupid jerkface and I like watching him needlessly antagonize

• Locked thread