Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That is exciting, I wonder how hard it will be to make

Most recent recipe is 2 aerogel, 2 plasteel ingot, 2 lubricant, 2 uranium. Most of that's not hard to make (and thankfully it isn't Yet Another Thing That Requires Silver), but there hasn't been a working recipe for aerogel for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SinineSiil posted:

Can someone explain what terraforming is in this game and why is pop-in tied to it?

Terraforming allows you to remove pieces of the ground and place generic bits of ground somewhere else. This means that the game doesn't have a simple map that it refers to for the sea floor, it has to track all locations and record whether ground is there or not. As a result, the game has to save and load massive amounts of "ground/not ground" data.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also, tech is a bit more annoying to find, being relegated to wrecks mostly. Need a grav gun to get into the Aurora, having a hard time finding one in it's usual haunts.

The ones in the Mushroom Forest and Floating Islands seem to be the current homes, plus there's a fragment in the Aurora now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dyz posted:

I haven't played in a while, how do you need the grav gun to get certain things? Never needed it in my old playthrough.

For the Aurora, there are piles of crates blocking doorways that need to be removed. In wrecks, there are perforated square hatches that can be removed by the repulsion cannon to access vents.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

StrangeAeon posted:

Now if only the Moonpool fragments weren't in the Grand Reef or Mountains. :shepicide:

The Mountains one is especially stupid, because it's way deeper than you can go in the Seamoth without a Pressure Compensator, which you can't build until you have the Moonpool.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GlyphGryph posted:

Well, isn't the point to get you out of the seamoth exploring those areas by hand, putting yourself in greater danger (before acquiring the moonpool and it's upgrades which allow you to negate that danger once the area has been 'conquered')
It's a bit too far beyond the envelope compared to everything else in the game, especially for players who don't know where it is to start with, or even that the moonpool is a thing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GlyphGryph posted:

This is what I see as the biggest problem. So long as they know the stuff is down there, I think most player would be able to get it.

It's pretty bad if you don't get that one piece of equipment (the rebreather, I think?) but once I grabbed that extended forays out of the Seamoth into deeper ocean was both fun and doable. I actually got the moonpool and explored a wreck before I realized how much the rebreather helped, so it's still doable even without that, but I returned a few times to grab more stuff before remembering I should upgrade the seamoth to go deeper now that I could.

I think the bigger problem is just not having any clue as to the fact that you should be looking for moonpool fragments or where you should be looking for them (and that's a bigger issue than just here, it's just that the challenge of the search in this region brings it into pretty sharp focus)

I think the only real clue about the moonpool existing is that you probably have the upgrade console by then and it needs to go in a moonpool, but that also means that once you can build the moonpool you'll almost immediately be able to make the Seamoth solar charger and render the moonpool's ostensible biggest function (recharge your vehicle) obsolete. Some of the progression in this game is really wonky.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheCenturion posted:

Explore the Aurora, and fix the reactor. Then you can start tooling around at your leisure.

It's just gotten a bit harder to jump right into that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

Is lifepod 8 supposed to be on the surface or seafloor? Because I found it rock solid "floating" on the surface without bobbing up and down.

It's supposed to be on the seafloor, which is where the signal is. I was wondering what was up when there wasn't a pod there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Cleaning my laptop's fan has made the game playable again! :toot:

The Seamoth seems way more power-hungry than it used to be. It'll use most of a charge on a single expedition to a wreck. Once you've made one it feels like a race to get a moonpool or power cell recharger, and the solar recharger upgrade feels like a relief rather than a convenience.

Does the Repulsion Cannon no longer work on doors/grates in wrecks?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

I ended up getting the Multipurpose room in the Jellyshroom caves after getting the Seamoth, but that seems a bit late in progression. Is there an easier place to get it?

It seems like something you should be getting far earlier.

You can get it from the Floating Island or the Mushroom Forest wreck.

I'm not sure what real purpose there is in gating the MP room, aside from taking either a little longer to be able to start using the Bioreactor if you know what you're doing, or a lot longer if you don't. That doesn't seem like a goal that's worth the increased hassle.

The game needs more signposts, because it's way too easy to get turned around and lost even with a compass and the thing you need might be in a zone that you had no idea even existed. Lifepod 17 is a good start, but some sort of wreckfinder tool would come in very handy.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm still not clear on what the point of MP in Subnautica would be. Helping your buddy mine for titanium, I guess? 50/50 risk of a pubbie going on a knife spree in your base?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's something new in the active lava zone.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

The couple new creatures and the lava or did I miss something?

I think it's down at the bottom. When I was playing yesterday the section was labeled lavalakes, now it has a long alphanumeric sequence and there's something that sure as hell wasn't there before.

It's probably a precursor base, but it's just a big jumble of rectangles right now and there's nothing to do with it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

I found the sandy area underneath the active lava zone. Is that what you're talking about? I figured it was where the Sea Emperor was going to be.

It's not sandy, the floor is lava. I went down through the lava castle to get there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Evil Mastermind posted:

Still no sign of the mod station or the moon pool, though. It's getting rather annoying.

If you have a Seamoth and the Pressure Compensator you can grab on the Aurora, try the Blood Kelp wreck. It's between the Grand Reef, Sea Treader's Path, and Dunes, a little over 300m down.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oasx posted:

It would be nice if the game removed all the extra fragments of a specific blueprint once you collected a full set. It is annoying find a moonpool fragment for the 10th time once you have already made one.

I think this has already been implemented, at least as far as not-previously-visited areas go. By the time I hit the last couple of wrecks in my post-Exosuit patch playthrough they were almost or entirely devoid of fragments.

I kinda miss the easy source of titanium, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think there are some rather large adjustments that need to be made to basic parts of how the game works, like completely gutting and redoing how terrain works or stopping the game from rendering the sky when you look up in enclosed areas like inside the Aurora or the active lava zone, that don't look like probable candidates to be squeezed out along with all the other stuff in ~3 months.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Section Z posted:

Also, all you need for air is a room with power. So as long as the hull is strong enough, you can just build minimalist hideaways with a bioreactor in the middle of nowhere, or solar if it's still not deep enough to permanently block out the sun. Which itself, is often more practical than air pipes unless it's not actually all that deep. But I like it because I can also shove proper lockers down there that way.

A single corridor with a hatch and solar panel has served me well anywhere with the slightest bit of sun.

You can also use power transmitters to beam solar power down into the abyss.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is Experimental mode gone? Just started a new game and didn't see the option anywhere.

Experimental mode is enabled outside of the game by right-clicking on the game's name, selecting properties->betas->experimental, and having automatic updates on. It's not something you select inside the game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Looks like the transfuser may be getting cut. There's no longer a "Transfuser" update and the card for implementation of the transfuser got moved to "Maybe".

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dyz posted:

Just explored the deep lava and couldn't find a single sea dragon.

He was hard to miss when I got down there last night.

The power-draining worms are extremely annoying when you're in the Cyclops. You keep getting out and pulling them off, and they come right back as soon as you're back inside.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

Have you tried checking wrecks around the mountain? You might also get lucky around the Dunes, Blood Kelp Zone, and Grand Reef but I'm pretty sure you want to be around the mountain.

Watch out for the Reapers.

The mountain wreck is below 400m, so that's a bad idea. He wants the Grand Reed (250m) for the moonpool and the western Blood Kelp (332m) for the modification station.

There's also a pressure compensator module that can be picked up in the Seamoth room in the Aurora, which will make things much easier.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Evil Mastermind posted:

Have I been missing something, or is there an in-game way to see which biome you're in?

Press f1.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Away all Goats posted:

I believe the Devs have also said that they plan to move most (all?) of the fragments inside wrecks eventually.

They're mostly there already. You can find seaglide and solar panel fragments around the shallows for obvious gameplay reasons, and power cell charger and water filtration machine fragments in the sparse reef, presumably so you actually have a reason to go to the sparse reef. Aside from a few battery charger fragments around wrecks in the grassy plateaus, everything else is inside wrecks.

I kinda miss the old loot distribution systems a bit, because right now you can ignore most of the map at any given time. You used to actually scour the seafloor looking for fragments, and when the grassy plateaus had sandstone rather than all of it being found in kelp forest caves you had an actual reason to search the bloodgrass. Now it's just a place you pass through once you've visited the two wrecks marked by lifepod signals. You can ignore either the underwater islands or the koosh zone completely, or even both if you don't care about the stasis rifle, and there's no reason to go to the Dunes ever. If they had fragments both in the wrecks and scattered throughout the surrounding biome, increased the number of fragments to complete the blueprints, and had crates with more advanced materials like computer chips or enameled glass in and near the wrecks, I think that would both encourage people to poke around the biomes more and take away some of the grinding for materials.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One thing I really wish they'd let you do is open the PDA inside the seamoth and prawn, because clearly you need to get out of your air bubble and back into the hundreds-of-meters-deep water in order to eat, drink, or use medkits.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The transfuser is back on the roadmap for November.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ImpactVector posted:

But yeah, once you know what you're doing, you're probably going to want to build at least a small base and seamoth before you actually do too much exploring. Swimming is just so slow and wrecks are a total pain to explore without a nearby vehicle/minibase to go to for air.

You have to explore wrecks to be able to make the Mobile Vehicle Bay and Seamoth, though. The best wrecks for both are marked by lifepod signals.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Carcer posted:

How common are warpers? I haven't played the game much since it updated so I don't know. If you have to deal with warpers about once every 10 minutes then it’s probably not too bad, but based on the crazy spawning of some of the other aggressive fish if you've got to deal with a warper every other minute in some biomes I'd want a more concrete solution than "punt it with a prop cannon".

There's one out near the mountain island and one in the deep grand reef. There's probably one in the active lava zone, but I don't recall running into it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Carcer posted:

That wasn't a challenge. That was me stating there’s a problem that is a pain in the rear end to deal with. I don't think I should be dodging multiple predators in the "safe" shallows to get into or out of the lifepod.

I mean, you shouldn't, because that's a thing that shouldn't happen unless something in the game is broken. Even if a stray stalker pokes their snout into the shallows they don't just stick around, and sandsharks shouldn't make it anywhere near that far. Has your pod floated to a spot where the kelp forest meets the grassy plateaus or something?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Oh god my cyclops dissapeared after I reloaded the save I made after crafting it. Took me forever to build that thing. Looks like there might be a workaround but I'm not sure I can be bothered now :/

You can console in a cyclops and go into creative mode to add any improvements you'd made.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I have issues with being in water where I can't see the bottom due to almost drowning in the ocean when I was ~10, and at first this game could make me feel really uncomfortable in certain spots, but eventually that faded to the point where it was no longer much of an problem in-game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

endlessmonotony posted:

Go under and a bit to the side of the evacuation pod, make a foundation, then a tunnel on it, then a Solar Panel (in the Power tab of the Habitat Builder), then a hatch.

Then make a Scanner - you need two weird mushrooms that are everywhere around the evacuation pod, some copper and titanium. Same parts for batteries that power everything - you can recharge empty batteries later.

You need the scanner to scan the solar panel parts lying around the safe shallows and kelp forest before you can build panels.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I believe the switchover to static terrain is set for the update that should be coming in a week or so.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Fragments have been massively shuffled from last time I started the game. I got all my Seamoth pieces from a shallows wreck near the Aurora, both stillsuit pieces sitting on top of a kelp forest wreck, a compass from a lifepod, and propulsion and stasis gun pieces in the open in front of the Aurora. Seaglide pieces were also scarcer, found one in a lifepod and one on the edge of a kelp forest. Small fragments outside of/not on top of wrecks seem to be in crates (the ones that are open on the side, not the ones that contain consumables/batteries/signals and that you have to open) now. Sandstone also seems to not be entirely confined to caves, which is nice, but I'm getting more gold than silver.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The crafting timer isn't really noticeable outside of the mobile vehicle bay. Which takes maybe 10 seconds.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You can see the islands at a greater distance by looking up through the surface of the water. This is probably related to how you see the sky if you look up through the surface even when you're inside the Aurora.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cojawfee posted:

Was there anything useful there in the first place? A bunch of those stupid spider things. A useless cave. Not much else.

A bunch of lithium you don't have to dive for, bulbo trees to take samples from, basalt.

I wish they wouldn't remove tech fragments you've already got the blueprints for (although propulsion cannon fragments seem to stick around). It makes wreck exploring a lot less interesting as you go along, and I don't think the titanite it would give you would be game breaking. It would do a lot to enable making interesting bases without so much tedious mining.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OwlFancier posted:

Not that I know of? I still find stuff I've already scanned and it still breaks down into 2 titanium, still a useful source of titanium.

Fragments that have already been loaded are still there and can be scanned for titanium, but when it initially loads wrecks it removes fragments that you already have blueprints for. So early wrecks will be full of stuff, but later ones will be empty unless you had previously gotten close enough for them to load (which is unlikely for ones like Underwater Islands, Mountain, Sea Treader's Path, Koosh, Dunes, or the second Grand Reef wreck). So you can't access a bunch of wrecks early on, and later there's no point in doing so. The result is large swathes of territory where there's never much reason to visit if you know what's out there, and a series of massive disappointments if you don't. Who wants to scour the Dunes with all its reapers just to plink at a few outcrops? A trove of titanium is at least a decent consolation prize, and a reason to keep a storage unit or two on your seamoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dongattack posted:

Aww... There's no point to having the Seamoth anymore is there when you got a upgraded PRAWN suit? I assumed the whole time that i would be able to dock both in the Cyclops, but since you have to chose i can't see any reason to ever NOT take the PRAWN suit. If i could dock both i could use the SM as a fun and nimble explorer at least.

edit: i think the most cathartic experience i've had in this game is grappling onto a big baddie and drilling it to death

Seamoth is faster and better at getting back up out of places that it has gone down into. There's less point in taking it in the Cyclops, but on its own it's much more flexible.