Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of the bank missions (maybe all of them?) has a portrait of a Muton executive and their cat :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zore posted:

Volk is the kind of guy who absolutely walked away from the table when he heard XCOM wasn't going to help genocide all the remaining aliens post-war and probably kept up his paramilitary compounds.

I'd say that's up in the air, but it's a reasonable assumption. Volk was pragmatic enough to give the alliance a chance, but he could easily have gone right back to hating them afterwards. But I'd assume there'd be at least some of the faction who followed along with Dragunova and stayed friendly with the Skirmishers, after the awkward forced cutscenes where she and Mox go from being ready to chop each other up to being best buds within 5 minutes.

Edit: I hope Xcom3 brings back half of the star trek cast to do all their voice work again.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We all know what the perfect X-COPs DLC would be, though.

Going after known war criminal Moira Vahlen and her crazy Umbrella-esque menagerie of horrors.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'd say that's up in the air, but it's a reasonable assumption. Volk was pragmatic enough to give the alliance a chance, but he could easily have gone right back to hating them afterwards. But I'd assume there'd be at least some of the faction who followed along with Dragunova and stayed friendly with the Skirmishers, after the awkward forced cutscenes where she and Mox go from being ready to chop each other up to being best buds within 5 minutes.

Edit: I hope Xcom3 brings back half of the star trek cast to do all their voice work again.

I like that this happened almost entirely because Jake Solomon is a big TNG nerd and just wanted to meet them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Having a separate faction of outcast Elders who aren't into mass murder and subjugation could work, though.
Integrate The Bureau into canon further. :sickos:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I wouldn’t be opposed to an xcom fps or tps that wasn’t as clunky as the bureau. Something like gears where you just mow through poo poo constantly.

There was a lot of promise in that game just not a lot of payoff. I guess if you’re good at making tactical games that doesn’t translate well into other genres.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I got the impression that the Fade was just like, the engineered obsolescence of the hybrids that the Elders put in them to keep them loyal - anyone who breaks away from their control loses access to the gene clinics and succumbs to the Fade. The reason why it's hitting people now is that all the gene clinics have been shut down post-occupation.

Life, uh, finds a way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zore posted:

Not all were on Earth, and some explicitly fled.

Chimera Squad has them talk a lot about preparing for a potential return

Like remember this is not the first planet they did their conqueror routine on. At minimum you also had the Muton (Floater/Archon/Andromedon/Berserker), Sectoid, and Viper homeworlds. Their other species are more unclear if they were engineered or natural (Chryssalids, Gatekeepers, Faceless) or are robots (Seekers, Drones, Cyberdiscs, Sectopods, MECs, Spectres, Gatekeepers, Codexes etc)

While it's not the first one, per XCOM 2, it's the last one, and whatever they are fleeing from has killed everywhere else they've fled from. They can retcon that again of course but it's basically Earth or the terror from the deep.

quote:

Volk is the kind of guy who absolutely walked away from the table when he heard XCOM wasn't going to help genocide all the remaining aliens post-war and probably kept up his paramilitary compounds.

There's dialogue for all the hero class groups helping rebuild. The Templars chimed in about the Progeny and their leader being particularly hosed up by the Elders and to watch out for instance. The Reapers helped hold the chryssalid and stray MEC hordes off. The Skirmishers almost wholly integrated into society. The Reapers do seem least likely to actually go for it but their entire thing in XCOM 2 is coming in from the shadows once they win.

They're going for a very particular direction for XCOM 3 and I'm pretty sure it's "every non-supremacist group on Earth" vs. either "the psychic abomination from beyond space and time" or "fascism".

quote:

Integrate The Bureau into canon further.

Well, there is the Angelis Ethereal :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 27, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

I mean if that's canon Dragunova personally helping to bust Mox out after he saved her probably did an enormous amount of work w/r/t repairing relations between the factions

Night10194 posted:

Going after known war criminal Moira Vahlen and her crazy Umbrella-esque menagerie of horrors.

I want her back for xcom3. I don't care how you justify it, I want her back and I want her to have a robot eye, and I want more war crimes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grapplejack posted:

I want her back for xcom3. I don't care how you justify it, I want her back and I want her to have a robot eye, and I want more war crimes.

XCOM 3: Doctor Vahlen's Atomic Monster Men Versus The Nightmare Beyond The Stars (tm)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

XCOM 3: Doctor Vahlen's Atomic Monster Men Versus The Nightmare Beyond The Stars (tm)

:sickos:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Can the robot eye crawl out of its socket on spider legs while she wears an eyepatch?

Seems like something she would do.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Getting ready to start my second run. Last time, I went Grey Phoenix > Progeny > Sacred Coil. This time around I'm planning on going Sacred Coil > Grey Phoenix > Progeny. Gonna be starting off with the three agents I didn't use last time, Axiom, Claymore and Patchwork... who would be a good fourth member to round out this team at the start?

Man, those are all great. And my a-team cast!

Blueblood, torque, godmother or terminal maybe? Axion is tough AF and I ended up running him and godmother together a lot for shotgun supremacy. I never really got a chance to use blueblood and I've heard he's great. Terminal was my +1 to those,

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Have new factions for XCOM3 with associated techs/upgrades:
One is a bio-integration group led by Vahlen where you get stuff to bio-enhance your soldiers and give them the stuff other species might normally have, like acid spitting sectoids or berserker vipers or other crazy stuff.
Another would be a mech focused group led by some corporation or w/e who's focused on MECs, cyborg upgrades for your soldiers, and other tech based stuff like that.
Last one would be focused on psionics led by the Templars and they have their associated stuff as well as other psi-based or psi-enhanced things.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

They're going for a very particular direction for XCOM 3 and I'm pretty sure it's "every non-supremacist group on Earth" vs. either "the psychic abomination from beyond space and time" or "fascism".

Nah. My ideal solution:

Give us the flagship from the OG cover art and send us to space.

Not in an interceptor way - in a 'three way battle between the ethereals and their other mysterious foe'. As in, humanity gets smack-dab in the middle of the ethereal's war and sorta has to

Focus on boarding, one-of scenarios (instead of 'cruise ship' or 'terror mission' it can be 'rescue or strike mission on alien customs space station'), and the strategy layer balancing two foes against each other: The ethereals have to get past you to get away from the other foreshadowed threat, and run into problems.

Pave the way for humanity, or accept their help if they run out of ships and have to turn to you?

Tldr, same xcom, mixed up backdrop. A dash of Dawn of War 2's campaign map for different plantets/theatres?

Night10194 posted:

I'd agree! Give us the funky wierd rulers and her own twist on psionic humanity!

Or maybe she buddied up with the Bureau-thereal, and that's how she managed to have so much luck and access from advent to do science on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's a super evocative cover God drat

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

Nah. My ideal solution:

Give us the flagship from the OG cover art and send us to space.

Not in an interceptor way - in a 'three way battle between the ethereals and their other mysterious foe'. As in, humanity gets smack-dab in the middle of the ethereal's war and sorta has to

Focus on boarding, one-of scenarios (instead of 'cruise ship' or 'terror mission' it can be 'rescue or strike mission on alien customs space station'), and the strategy layer balancing two foes against each other: The ethereals have to get past you to get away from the other foreshadowed threat, and run into problems.

Pave the way for humanity, or accept their help if they run out of ships and have to turn to you?

Tldr, same xcom, mixed up backdrop. A dash of Dawn of War 2's campaign map for different plantets/theatres?

We'd finally be getting X-Com Alliance.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Finished the game today in Impossible Hardcore after a few failed runs (including one I mentioned earlier due to a bug? with the deputy mayor encounter). The credits sequence was great fun to watch, but if XCHIM (I like it better than XCOP) is canonical going forward, then the Shrike network, or whoever else was trying to sow discord in City 31 and using Atlas as a cover, is probably going to be a central antagonist in XCOM 3. The two human (hybrid?) figures in the shadows watching the monitors said that XCOM is already at war but doesn't realize it. Bring on the Old World fascists, we'll smoke them out like we did the Elders!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Grapplejack posted:

I love everything about what a crazed, snake-and-warcrimes-loving disaster of a person Vahlen is and she's probably my favorite new X-COM series character.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

It feels like the Elders's whole 'you'll never survive the upcoming bad thing (that we won't tell you about in any detail) unless you have our help' was probably mostly BS. If we're supposed to be too weak to handle the mystery bad, then the fact that humanity punted the Elders off the planet casts a lot of doubt on that idea. Also, if they were really being so altruistic, maybe lead with that instead of a genocidal invasion and occupation of the planet.

The Elders actually did explain their reason for this in XCOM-2012. The gist was that they wanted to unlock human potential before taking ownership of them, which (according to them) can only be achieved by existential threat rather than peaceful overtures.

This was also the lore explanation for why the Elders spent months slowly rolling out stronger and stronger aliens and ships instead of just landing a bunch of Sectopods on day 1- it was to give humans/XCOM time to adapt to each wave by developing better tech and Psi powers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Avasculous posted:

This was also the lore explanation for why the Elders spent months slowly rolling out stronger and stronger aliens and ships instead of just landing a bunch of Sectopods on day 1- it was to give humans/XCOM time to adapt to each wave by developing better tech and Psi powers.

Except X-COM 2 follows from 'what if they just landed Sectopods in Paris, eight o' clock, day 1', doesn't it?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Except X-COM 2 follows from 'what if they just landed Sectopods in Paris, eight o' clock, day 1', doesn't it?

Did they actually say that? I can't remember exactly.

I guess I assumed the first game was more or less how the real invasion played out with the exception of who won.

If the aliens just arrived and crushed all resistance immediately, why would XCOM exist, let alone have any credibility?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I think Firaxis had said that what lead to XCOM losing the invasion was a failed base defense, so XCOM was around at least a few months before it fell.

I suppose the Ethereals' motivations and plans work either way. EU/EW: humanity adapts and develops into a suitable avatar. XCOM 2: humanity failed, and now the Ethereals have to build their own avatar.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Loden Taylor posted:

I think Firaxis had said that what lead to XCOM losing the invasion was a failed base defense, so XCOM was around at least a few months before it fell.

I suppose the Ethereals' motivations and plans work either way. EU/EW: humanity adapts and develops into a suitable avatar. XCOM 2: humanity failed, and now the Ethereals have to build their own avatar.

Yeah, basically the proper timeline is however many months in XCOM:EU/EW -> The Base Defense Fails -> ADVENT rises and takes over -> XCOM2.

They don't explain why Outsiders stop showing up though.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Olive Branch posted:

Finished the game today in Impossible Hardcore after a few failed runs (including one I mentioned earlier due to a bug? with the deputy mayor encounter). The credits sequence was great fun to watch, but if XCHIM (I like it better than XCOP) is canonical going forward, then the Shrike network, or whoever else was trying to sow discord in City 31 and using Atlas as a cover, is probably going to be a central antagonist in XCOM 3. The two human (hybrid?) figures in the shadows watching the monitors said that XCOM is already at war but doesn't realize it. Bring on the Old World fascists, we'll smoke them out like we did the Elders!

That ending scene was so vague as to be essentially nothing. The big reveal is... no one we've seen before, in shadows, making vague hints that war is coming. Like, yeah, no poo poo, this is Xcom, war is always coming. Maybe they didn't have the plot of 3 nailed down enough yet to be able to do anything more interesting with it. :shrug: I'd be a bit surprised if future games make any reference to that ending at all.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
it turns out the Mayor faked her death and was actually Vahlen in disguise

RBA Starblade posted:

They can retcon that again of course but it's basically Earth or the terror from the deep.

considering they retconned you winning XCOM 1, Firaxis can and might do something like it again if they feel like it. I don't think it has to be one of those two options.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 27, 2020

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

BobTheJanitor posted:

That ending scene was so vague as to be essentially nothing. The big reveal is... no one we've seen before, in shadows, making vague hints that war is coming. Like, yeah, no poo poo, this is Xcom, war is always coming. Maybe they didn't have the plot of 3 nailed down enough yet to be able to do anything more interesting with it. :shrug: I'd be a bit surprised if future games make any reference to that ending at all.

Maybe 3 is gonna bring back Apocalypse Organizations or something along those lines, except make them actually work correctly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, basically the proper timeline is however many months in XCOM:EU/EW -> The Base Defense Fails -> ADVENT rises and takes over -> XCOM2.

They don't explain why Outsiders stop showing up though.

They got hot lady bodies as Codexes

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have discovered a truly depraved combo with Torque. The secret is this: Give her a reflex grip, which causes firing her gun to not end the turn. That's it.

The combo then works like this: Tongue Pull a guy and Bind him. Next turn, release the Bind, giving you your full turn. WIth action 1, shoot the guy you had in Bind, who is now directly adjacent to you, and absolutely nothing can survive upgraded Bind plus a can't-miss guaranteed crit. With your remaining action, Tongue Pull the next target and Bind him up. Next turn, rinse and repeat.

With Bind upgrades so she does more damage and won't break the hold if she takes a hit, it's an absolute uncounterable blender of gently caress All Of You, Now I've Got The Snake Bullshit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Reflex Grips are also essential on Patchwork and Axiom.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Night10194 posted:

Ok hear me out guys.

Xcom 3.

Bradford is gone (dead,suicide,don’t care)

Lily shen was always a hypocrite “Boo hoo robots are bad except for when i have them on an even worse scale”.

She is now going full on “Tony stark” with a full robot guard and refuses to see how that could be a problem.

Vahlen is back but she’s all hosed up from messing with aliens over the years (Viper gas has melted her lungs or some poo poo,now she has a scary darth vader muzzle) and she’s refusing to stop experimenting because clearly she was always mental.

I dunno about tygan who cares.

Game involves taking down at least two of them at some point,boom!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I kinda suspect that Chimera Squad will be followed up with a Chimera Squad 2 about whatever the shadowy conspiracy is, while XCOM 3 will mostly not address the events of Chimera Squad (except for maybe radio broadcasts etc). I think Chimera Squad is distinctive enough from standard XCOM that they will want to keep both lines going. They talk about a new Avenger being built in Antarctica, so the theory about going out into spaaaace is probably correct. I am very in favour, it would be fun to see what a Muton city is like, etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Do grappling hooks exist in this game? I'm on my third playthrough (no great imposition, the game rules) and I still haven't got the "I'll let myself in" achievement, and a number of lists online claim there is a grappling hook breach, but I haven't seen a single one so far and it is the only thing I can think of that I am missing.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I dunno about tygan who cares.

I care! Tygan was a good boy who just wanted to redeem himself and do SCIENCE :(

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Shoenin posted:

I care! Tygan was a good boy who just wanted to redeem himself and do SCIENCE :(

XCOM 3 will be a fight over the Advent burger recipe much like Plankton versus Mr. Krabs in Spongebob. Tygan will be on the side that redeems it for humanity. Choose your side wisely.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jerusalem posted:

Do grappling hooks exist in this game? I'm on my third playthrough (no great imposition, the game rules) and I still haven't got the "I'll let myself in" achievement, and a number of lists online claim there is a grappling hook breach, but I haven't seen a single one so far and it is the only thing I can think of that I am missing.

Keep an eye out for missions with a potential "Skylight" entry point.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)

A Perfect Twist posted:

XCOM 3 will be a fight over the Advent burger recipe much like Plankton versus Mr. Krabs in Spongebob. Tygan will be on the side that redeems it for humanity. Choose your side wisely.

Whats the Advent equivalent to Apple Pie?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Theres a lot of missions where you're hanging off a roof and come in through windows? Unless somehow you never got any of them!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Shoenin posted:

Ehh i thought he was naff,his delivery....very much....gets on my.....tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Megazver posted:

Reflex Grips are also essential on Patchwork and Axiom.

I'd say Godmother is another character who really needs a Reflex Grip. I was having a lot of trouble getting her kit to work in my first run until I gave her one.