Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

StoneOfShame posted:

As much as we laugh at her because she goes for the I wanna be the first/youngest whatever to climb Everest and posts stupid 'inspirational' bullshit she's probably a lot more cut out for it than a lot of people and seems to recognise the challenges and dangers.
The inspirational stuff about mind over matter gets brought out because it seems backwards when a possible outcome is getting to a camp and the guide or medic is telling you to go home because your body just didn't win the genetic lottery and has poor response to altitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pole and potato, mountain brothers separated at birth.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Kid slice of life stuff is often dialed back to a 8-12yo reading level for use in the classroom.

Hopefully with teachers with the presence of mind to color it completely insane.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Skeesix posted:

Well didn't the article say that his biggest mountain so far was Kilimanjaro? And that his dad is coming along even though his dad didn't climb mountains before the kid did? I think I just heard a richer l rumble in Everest's belly.

That said, I was under the impression that China has just plain not allowed foreigners into Tibet at all these days. So perhaps China's authoritarian ways are what will save this boy from himself and his father.
The China side has been the traditional buy your way in to do stupid stuff side. Anything is possible if you have a fat enough stack of USD to make the official stamping permits personally interested in proving you have no ties to Tibetan dissidents.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The one place the accounts all agree is that Steck's team was composed of grade A assholes, I guess you take what you can get when real alpinists are the genetic oddities that they are. So some caustic westerners were an easy target, but the more notable thing is that there is an undercurrent of sherpas getting super pissed about their situation getting paid peanuts to manage the revolving door of rich westerners. It should be interesting if 2 missed seasons has just made them desperate for that westerner cash, or else more pissed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bensa posted:

Steck by all accounts seems like a nice person, partnering up with a sherpa without an expedition for his Everest summit without oxygen etc. He mentioned that this was one of the things that hurt him the most, that guy was in the mob and didn't seem to him to be trying to help defuse the situation. Moro might be a bit of a personality (he was the one swearing during the incident) but he also pilots his own helicopter to rescue people in the Himalayas and has abandoned climbs to aid rescues. I don't know much about Griffith. What do you base your opinion on?
Both accounts reek of bullshit. but reading between the lines Steck's doesn't even try to hide his business like demeanor (which is a good thing for climbing mountains, except in the same account he either claims to understand or pretends to understand the recent tensions within the Sherpa community, at which point maybe make it a point to tiptoe) or Moro's temper. Like I know a guy who would move the world for friends, family, and coworkers, but put him next to a similarly hardheaded stranger in an abnormal, high stress situation and there's going to be a fistfight. So as great a guy he is 95% of the time, I can't even claim he isn't an rear end in a top hat when he ends up in those 5% problem situations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Do the climbers carry lose leaf tea or tea bags? This is important to me.
You eat loose tea at base camp so when you boil the poop snow you get some tea out of it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
High altitude supposedly fucks with your taste buds, the rat poo poo is probably a nice change of pace for your digestive system from human diarrhea tea, and you won't even notice the mental degradation from heavy metals because you are already loopy from lack of oxygen. Everest seems like the one place its not a bad idea to drink some nutrient cum.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ranbo das posted:

I hate to seriouspost, but couldn't you like, spend some time in an oyxgen chamber that simulated being at Everest's peak to make sure you didn't just die from altitude? If I understand HAPE and HACE correctly it's less about training and more about "did you win the genetic lottery" so theoretically a couple days in an oxygen chamber would let you know if you're gonna die or not.
Some of the more cadillac climb deals come with hypobaric chamber time just for pretraining, to make the acclimatization at base camp that much simpler.

But you can't really spend 2 months in a hypobaric chamber 24/7, and altitude sickness seems to be an additive stress situation for those vulnerable to it, so sequential days at altitude with no relief can be the killer even if you can hop in a chamber every afternoon and everything checks out fine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You could climb Everest, or you could take 80,000 doses of ecstasy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fly around the world 500 times while on 27000 doses of ecstasy and eating 1.3 million charcoal broiled steaks.

Maybe the Everest climbers are on to something, it certainly seems like the cheapest way to play Russian roullette compared to some of these alternatives.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Paineopticon posted:

I don't even want to think about how much feces is in that camp. I doubt anyone is sticking their rear end out over the edge
You probably poo poo in a chamber pot and chuck it over the side.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Local Legend posted:

Is a chamber pot really something someone would carry up a mountain?
Well making GBS threads in your hand isn't really an option because most accounts say if anything is coming out of your butt on a climb its going to be watery. I sincerely doubt anyone is dropping trou outside a tent so you poop into something or you paint the walls.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hopper posted:

God knows which of the countless parasites and illnesses got him, I'd wager the mountain is pretty chill. Friend of mine climbed it during his world trip and lived. (Or maybe the view of the Bavarian Alps from my Munich balcony trains you sufficiently?)
Its getting into the range for deadly altitude sickness. Some people's body just crashes hard for no discernible reason when climbing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I hate when the Ogre gets all butty.

efb; I should have known googling Shrek's butt would leave me with no decent example and only mild existential dread of fan art.