Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

DrPlump posted:

Are the Sherpa's still trying to murder people for dishonoring them by summiting before them? Did the finally realize they where wrong when the mountain responded by avalanching them the year afterwards? drat I bet Ueli Steck's high altitude rescue helicopters would have helped with that whole thing.

It's Simone Moro who flies the helicopters, try to keep up h t h

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Rondette posted:

hhahahahaha, fuckin lol!

I told you earlier, I have magic powers. I can kill neighbour's dogs by the power of thought and also people who climb Everest.

burn ban the witch

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Austria has a shitload of hiking mountains.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Jose posted:

Ogre is a cool name for a mountain

See also: Eiger

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I can’t decide if “Trango Towers” sounds badass, or like a some lame public housing development.

They look incredibly badass, though:

I just meant that Eiger means ogre in german.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

GTO posted:

Wow, 5000m isn't even that high, relatively speaking. You can drive that high in parts of the Andes and Himalayas.

Altitude hits harder if you're exhausted/dehydrated/etc.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

elwood posted:

Update: I'm in Namche Right now. Still alive

Sweet. How's the temperature?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

elwood posted:

About 10-12 C in the sun and a bit above freezing at night.

Sounds like perfect weather for hiking if the huts aren't too cold at night.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/638511155582005248

Unfortunately I can't figure out how you're supposed to post a tweet but Trump says he's going to revert the Denali namechange.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

k2 probably has the most impressive list of kills, but no

all the mountains left with no recorded summits are either illegal to climb or crazy super isolated in the artic/antartic

Eh, there's loads of stuff left in Tibet and Kyrgyzstan at least. The ones left are either lower, like 5000m, or more isolated though. I know for a fact two swedish amateurs and a slovenian dude did a first ascent in either Tibet or Nepal last year, which was real climbing but nothing really extreme. There's also entire unexplored valleys and stuff in India and Pakistan where the military are really restrictive with permits, but there are a few serious mountaineers who do it every year.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Wow. Shows what I know. It's bonkers to me how huge and sparse the Himalayas are.

If you're interested https://www.alpinist.com writes about stuff like that, they also do an actual magazine.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web17w/newswire-xialongrezha Here's one article, apparently the maps didn't even have the right height of the mountain.
http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web15y/newswire-sherpa-americans-climb-first-ascents-rolwaling-himal Three nepalese sherpas do 3 unclimbed 6000 m-peaks in 3 days.
Pretty cool stuff!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

uwaeve posted:

I know there have been book recommendations and reviews in the thread before, but I'm having trouble paging through finding them. I've read into thin air, dark summit, and the climb. Are there go-to recommendations on what to read?

vvv thanks, any extreme mountaineering is interesting, doesn't need to be about Everest. In fact I'd like to read about the more technically challenging ones as well.

I recommend Kiss or Kill by Mark Twight. He was one of the best alpinists in the world in the late 80's to early 00's. He took huge risks climbing but was good and lucky enough to survive a lot of poo poo. There's a lot of written stuff on his website as well. He also wrote a textbook of a sort called Extreme Alpinism which is pretty much what it sounds like.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Did he already do the Everest part?

No, he was acclimatizing before the attempt.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

MorgaineDax posted:

Why even wear a helmet at this point?

Wearing a helmet probably saved his life a few years ago on Annapurna when he got a rock to the head right at the start of the climb. He still went up but said afterwards that the risk had been too high and that he would tone it down from now on.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Thank for the link, good article.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Tell that to Kurtz and Hinterstoisser. (Little Eiger joke for those in the know. :) )

Yes, obviously the ascent is usually the hard route and the decent easy(ier). EVerest is same there and back, which is doubles the bottleneck problem at the Hillary Step. Actually, come to think of it most Himalayan descent are the same route because of the use of camps. Even if you decide to descend more than one camp in a day you tend to go via the camps because they are the easier rout and you have supplies and shelter in case you need rest.

So, has no one ever done a 100% descent of the north face of the Eiger?

No one has ever downclimbed the Eiger north face, no. It's harder to climb downwards, and there's no prestige or sense of accomplishment in it since it's only used for retreating or descending from a summit. It's a good skill to practice as a climber, but no one that I've ever heard of does it on a larger scale as what you're suggesting.

E: Downclimbing is different from rappelling/abseiling where you slide down the rope, just to be clear.

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 14, 2017

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
RIP the Hillary Step. Let it from here on out be known as the Norgay Ramp.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, 9 dudes is a lot historically right? Feels not that big of a deal compared to eartquakes and avalanches and stuff, but poo poo.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

That's a convenient religious doctrine. We'll lease our holy ground to the government and we'll suggest to people not to climb, despite that there's a chain specifically for that purpose. So we get the money AND we're clean before the god/s because hey we placed the sign not our fault if they climb, right?

lol

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Levitate posted:

More posts about cool mountaineering please

Any recommended movies that are available on Prime or Netflix etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1tBf455jXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIv-s5hGw_s

This is 2 videos from Steve House, one of the best mountaineers in the world. These 2 clips are probably the best climbing/mountaineering films I've ever seen, even if the production values are kinda poo poo. He's filming it himself while climbing in Pakistan and Peru.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTalnzcO0xk

Alex Honnold to the entire world.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Hey, this was really cool. Beautiful cinematography and an interesting viewpoint.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Ah yes, Denis Urubko what a wuss, why not send a real man who's better than him at high altitude winter climbing, such as...umm...hmm

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Apparently Nepalese trekking companies and guides are scamming travel insurance companies into paying for unnecessary helicopter rescues.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unnecessary-rescues-soar-nepal-profits-insurance-payouts-034651607.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Turns out the death zone is bad for you, who could have known