Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Hello, thread.

What's the count so far this year? I didn't enter the sweepstakes this year because I inadvertently caused an earthquake last year by suggesting an absurdly high number. (I claim moral victory for last year's sweepstakes. Whatever the prize was, I definitely don't want it.) I have learnt my lesson and will use my powers only for good. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

As a thread we made it through another climbing season with a fair amount of infighting, theft and bad feeling but at least no one died. And we all saved $25,000 each. Good job, team SA. :) See you next season!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Norway is pretty much the most expensive country in the world (unless you already live there). Beautiful but impractical. Alps in Austria and Switzerland would be more affordable.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

So, thread, what about the new neighborhood?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

It was inevitable, I was just waiting for it to show up here.

Nice place you have here, PP. :) I thought PYF would also work but this is a good place for it. Posters in QCS were complaining that this thread was the height of meanness, when mocking the most insane egoism was only ever 25% of the contents. GBS died for our sins.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Here to be bummed out by Steck's death. :(

My adventure was finding where the hell this thread was at. I know that this is technically the right sub-sub-sub-sub-forum but what the heck mods....

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

That's a shame. The previous Everest threads on GBS have been pretty good. Every so often you would get a cry baby saying how mean the thread was but you'd get a lot of traffic. I don't know anything about GBS really. I'm a A/T, PYF and TFA poster.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Ahem.

Died on Nuptse hence not technically on Everest.

:eng101:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Epitope posted:

Well you say you aren't in favor of outlawing all of it, so sure I respect your opinion and think its totally reasonable

Although it wasn't understood at the time it started, the evidence is that GBS causes brain damage. Personally, I am in favour of banning GBS and replacing it with a more humane form of posting and of providing proper professional care to posters who have suffered permanent degenerative injuries due to GBS.

I know that people say "people who take up GBS now understand the risks" but it is we, fellow posters, who have to care for these posters when they become invalids, drooling, white-noise posting and babbling memes. Do posters have the right to not only ruin their lives but the lives of those around them? I know the jury is out but frankly it would not surprise me to see (in 20 years time) solid scientific research proving that passive-GBS does cause serious harm to non-GBS posters.

Won't someone think of the children?

:(

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Xibanya posted:

Yeah the saddest story about Everest I can think of is the kid of someone who died climbing. Apparently the person who died, his mom iirc, asked him if he would be OK with her going and he said yes. And he was like 11.

Yeah. Kid was essentially guilt-tripped by his mom into it. :(

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Can we make use of the phrase "pearl clutching" a probatable offense?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Cross-quoting this from the GBS thread because it looks awesome. Anyone ever play it?

Vakal posted:

That reminds me of a board game I used to play a poo poo load of back in grade school called Mountaineering.

Basically you built a deck of cards representing climbing and survival gear and then made your way up the mountain hoping you had the right cards to overcome whatever lovely situation you were enviably going to land on.

I don't think we ever finished a game without someone dying, so I learned my lesson early about keeping my rear end off the mountain side.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Nice piece of fish posted:

How does Everest not kill more people each year, especially with the traffic? We lose people (mostly dumb tourists) to avalanches every year.

Location. If it was mainland USA you can bet there'd be +100 deaths. The cost, travel and permits restrict all but the richest. Actually, if it was in a US national park surely there'd be a restriction on climbing? Does anyone need a permit for Denali? I guess the difference is that Everest has a bottleneck for the main SE route so crowds actually cause deaths whereas on Denali I don't think that's the case.

Probably wrong on that.

Deathpool: I'm in for 12.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Yes, I can imagine if Everest was in the US/Canada then there would have to be some sort of permit/application process to stop the most unprepared fools from putting too much pressure on rescue services.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Well at least he might be the oldest person to die on Everest.

Sadly, his record will be surpassed. Betting that within the next few years we'll get a 90-year old dying on Everest.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I thought they weren't going to let people get permits for stupid things like "gayest polish person to die on Everest with a Scooby Doo butt plug" anymore.

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-fascist!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I know this isn't exactly the right thread but I was watching lots of documentaries on the Eiger. Has anyone ever descended the north face completely? People climb it but come down by the easy flanks. Surely descending is harder? I mean, physically climbing is easier upwards because you are looking in the direction of travel.

And how you climb DOWN an overhang??

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

High Lord Elbow posted:

Seems like an important question to answer before you start climbing UP an overhang to me. You know, in case you get stuck and have to back up.

Tell that to Kurtz and Hinterstoisser. (Little Eiger joke for those in the know. :) )

Yes, obviously the ascent is usually the hard route and the decent easy(ier). EVerest is same there and back, which is doubles the bottleneck problem at the Hillary Step. Actually, come to think of it most Himalayan descent are the same route because of the use of camps. Even if you decide to descend more than one camp in a day you tend to go via the camps because they are the easier rout and you have supplies and shelter in case you need rest.

So, has no one ever done a 100% descent of the north face of the Eiger?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Steck did it faster. :colbert:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Arivia posted:

holy poo poo

is he even in the grave yet?

Rest in Pieces :(

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Free-climbing an overhang in Spain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1P97VVt6_k

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

So this makes ascent easier?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

Harder, on account of it's now unknown and also possibly more technical.

Silver lining, first ascents are an option.

Well, that was the case until the old ladder was in place. I imagine that as soon as sherpas get ladders and ropes in place it won't be too hard for amateurs.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

FunMerrania posted:

Jesus. How many is it now?

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Deathpool: I'm in for 12.

Guys, if I win the deathpool I want it quoted and retweeted more than news of the 1st Indian woman to summit Everest from both sides. Anything less will crush my dreams. I believe in the power of your retweets, goons!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

I truly want to see Nanga Parbat from the Faerie Meadows before I die.

Well, if the Taliban have their way those two events could coincide.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

BBC coverage of the same story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40025553

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Even my 12 looks like it might be low. Anyone who went higher than 12?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

How come CO1 deaths haven't been a thing before? Is it because people have been using different kinds of stoves before or is it that tents have got more airtight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

gohuskies posted:

Sounds like the story of the four dead climbers in their tent may have been bogus? Instead of four bodies, it's now being reported that four different people may have just seen one body and misinformation got out.

Ah...the fog of war...