Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

um excuse me posted:

Sears: Who the hell shops at Sears? Even the Craftsman tools aren't what they used to be.

old people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

johnny sack posted:

Sears stores. The one closest to my house is two two gigantic floors. The first floor has tons of women's clothing, makeup, purses, shoes, accessories, etc. It has a very tiny men's clothing section. Then a medium sized craftsman tool section -way smaller than the women's clothing section.

The second floor is a whole bunch of kids clothing, a few random pieces of furniture, mattresses, random appliances, and overpriced televisions.

Nobody is ever in there shopping. Definitely more employees than customers at all times.

Jesus christ this sounds exactly like the Sears I work at and it's also in a mall and people use it for easy parking

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

vyst posted:

Blizzard carries the brand.

I don't know why they bother with anything else. Blizzards are good though.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

it always amazes me that the worst CEOs get paid a ton of money for almost destroying a company

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

bradzilla posted:

Cashier: "Can I get an email?"

Customer: "No thanks"

Cashier: "How bout a phone number? It's for coupons"

Customer: "I know what it's for, still no thanks"

Cashier: *getting irritated* "Are you sure? You can save $5 off your next purchase if you sign up today."

Customer: :mad: "Jesus Christ I said no twice already, can you please just ring up my poo poo?"

Cashier: *silence rest of transaction*

This is why no one likes to go to Sears. And then when you do finally get checked out, they give you like 10 receipts somehow.

it's because the cashier gets in trouble if they don't get an email and phone number and credit cards. seriously they can and will get fired if they don't get enough.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Sheep-Goats posted:

"Can I get an email?"

"Do they evaluate you on that?"

"Yes."

"Bill gates at fart dot com."

"Phone number?"

"123 456 7890"

and the person gets fired for putting in fake information :rip:
It's better if you just don't give them any info since obviously fake info gets them fired faster.
also I just discovered that the registers we use are IBM 4694s and they were made in 1991. They're literally as old as I am.

Cowman has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Feb 13, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Moridin920 posted:

3 months ago

it was actually super disappointing given the price and overall quality of the food. Like the food was okay (but not quite as good as I remember BK being) but gently caress off for $14 (burger fries and drink) I can eat at a restaurant. I'll give them another chance next year maybe but idk my faith was shaken.

Oh also last month I had McDonald's and liked that they had the pick 2 for 2 (because I usually just get 2 McDoubles n fries anyway) but then I went back last week and it was gone and I ended up paying what I felt like was an outrageous amount of money given the food I got.

In n Out is way cheaper than both and way better in terms of taste and overall quality of ingredients than both.

what loving burger king do you go to where a burger fries and drink are $14?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

5guys is good and the one near me just got shakes and they let me put everything in it and it was good.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

in nonchipotle news expect Sears and KMart to be dead by the end of this year. They're cutting positions and losing a lot of money really fast alongside the store closings.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Some news about Sears. The store I work at is cutting 3 management positions on Friday. They were told about this about a week or two ago and still don't know what their severance packages are if they even get any. The 3 people who got cut have been with Sears for a long time. One I know has been there 20 years (she was a teacher and used Sears as a second part time job) and another even longer. Currently the "Fine Jewelry" department, which is where they sell the $1000+ rings has one employee who can only work after 5 because of her other job. They had one other person there for a while but she quit to become a CNA, which is good for her. Before then they gave the department 50 hours to use for the week. We were open from 10am-8pm Monday through Thursday and 10am-9pm Friday/Saturday and 12-6pm Sunday. 50 hours covers Monday through Thursday and 10 hours on Friday. We were open a total of 68 hours so allowing for overlap (to cover breaks and stuff) Jewelry needs a minimum of 70 hours to operate all the time. They're making nonjewelry employees cover it which means that there are less people on the floor keeping things stocked and neat, which is where I work. They also aren't training them and the managers don't even know what jewelry specific stuff there is, like care plans and poo poo like that.

I said those were our times for a reason. We're now opening 11-8pm Monday through Friday and then 11-9pm Saturday and 12-6pm on Sunday. This alongside the cuts has led pretty much every worker to believe that we're about to close even though management is insisting that we're fine. Everyone's looking for another job, even the new hires, and no one is happy there. It's totally dead most of the time and the store has the most depressing and soul crushing atmosphere you can imagine. There's also a bit of drama brewing between two of the high school aged cashiers over some dumb bullshit so that's gonna be fun when it gets the one instigating it fired. The one instigating it sold ~$1300 in gift cards to some guys using a fraudulent credit card and the other one is the guy who got the manager. The other cashier who was with them sold ~$3000 in gift cards to the same guys at the same time, she got fired.

In summary, Sears is going down in flames and it's a spectacle and super depressing to be a part of. I need a new job.

Oh and our store manager was alerted about the cuts via email. Never got a call about them, just an email.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Captain Yossarian posted:

I thought that, but just close it, is my opinion. I mean they went through the work of putting a sliding motion door or whatever in the middle of a piece of plywood. It was pretty great honestly :)

You really should have taken a picture of that because it sounds amazing.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Gamestop is doing fine I think because of the absurd markup they do on pre-owned games. They'll buy it from you for like $5 then resell it for $55. I haven't traded a game into Gamestop in forever because of this but don't they just give you store credit?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Yeah holy poo poo this is my main turn off with retail commission jobs

How the gently caress are you supposed to engender any kind of lasting teamwork on your staff if it's literally an attitude of "gently caress you got mine" between all the employees

And for a new guy getting into it where the guys already there have established customers who demand they see this person, it's sometimes loving hard as poo poo to meet those quotas

gently caress that method of retail business, it only makes the customer feel hassled and doesn't produce good results, only desperate employees

In other chains that are going down the drain, Family Video

Yea it's awful and only makes the customer pissed off. At the Sears I work at the appliances department is a drat soap opera because people are stealing sales and in general being really underhanded and sneaky. It's terrible and just ends up with confused and pissed off employees and customers.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Ryoshi posted:

The Sears thing should not be a surprise to anyone that has ever had the displeasure of visiting their corporate HQ.

The roof of their building leaks basically all the gently caress over when it rains, and since the majority of the campus is an enormous, open, glass-walled atrium the end result is that any time there is a light drizzle outside the atrium is literally filled with dozens of rollable dumpsters used to catch errant rainfall.

There's an unlicensed Red Box machine in said atrium, but it's not connected to the Red Box network at large and has not had its selection updated in years. Because it's not technically a Red Box any more they cut out a big lovely looking slice of bread from craft foam and call it the Bread Box.

The HQ keeps samples that vendors bring in and then sell them to their employees in the "sample store", which occasionally leads to fun things like them selling hundreds of prop phone chargers that didn't actually have wires in them, or old lovely off-brand net books from 2007 with no cords or batteries.

The CEO runs the company like a gladiatorial arena - departments fight over limited funding in adversarial meetings explicitly scheduled to pit managers against each other, because everyone remembers that old adage "a house divided is totally awesome, guys."

That same CEO forced IT to spend millions developing an internal social network and then forced employees to use it specifically to spy on them.

One of their call centers was, last I heard, running hundreds of machines off of a single aging T1 line, and their techs couldn't figure out why things were timing out regularly.

And while I haven't worked there in years, the network thing mentioned above is in no way the first time they've decided to just not pay a vendor.

What's weird is that all of this is very visible and people are aware of how lovely it is and half their employees are STILL absurdly loyal to the company. Sorry, not employees - "associates".

Sears isn't a surprise if you've ever been in a Sears. It's pretty loving depressing and terrible especially since I still work at one :argh:

Oh yeah the social networking thing is bullshit. If you have a problem, instead of calling a support line or anything like that you make a post on it and hope someone notices. It hit 100F the other day and none of our shorts are on sale due to a fuckup in the system or something. The site is full of people asking what the hell is going on and none of them get responded to in a reasonable amount of time. It's really stupid.

Cowman has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Jun 29, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Snowdog79 posted:

I have the distinct pleasure of going there tomorrow for a meeting. Glad it's not raining in Chicago right now....

Please take as many photos as you can for this thread/me. I really love to hear how terrible Sears is doing.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Krispy Kareem posted:

Sears is obviously terrible and everything, but don't you charge full price when demand is high? I thought shorts went on sale in the Spring and Fall and went for full price in the summer when people realize, "oh poo poo I need shorts."

Full price in this case is about $40-60 for a pair of shorts that would cost ~$20 anywhere else.

Realize also that most people who shop at Sears aren't rich. Sears is middle to lower class so $40-60 on shorts is a big deal.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

naem posted:

The last time I went to a Sears I bought one of those flannel shirts that come in a plastic bag with lots of plastic clip things on it, for a Halloween costume (lumberjack). The shirt fell apart before the night was over. It might have been on the shelf longer than I've been alive

We couldn't sell all of our winter poo poo so we stuck it in the back for next year. First time we did this. We're also still selling some kid's winter gloves not on clearance even though it's 100F outside. We also got in some winter/fall clothes apparently. I don't know who does the orders but they're idiots.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

not anymore pokemon go's a goldmine

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

They posted this article as well and it's incredible how the store I work at is pretty much in the same state. Some of these I had trouble figuring out if it was from my store or not.

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-that-show-why-sears-is-vanishing-2013-10

My manager is godawful at organizing or she just didn't like me for some reason. I've been there 3 years and lately my hours got slashed horribly. For the past couple months I'd been getting 15-16 hours one week then the next about 20-25 because I would complain about not getting any hours. 2 weeks ago I got 11 hours and said I literally can't live on this and was told that I would get more hours because some people were calling out and corporate was giving the store barely any hours. Last week I worked 5.5 hours. I talked to a coworker yesterday who's using it as a second job and normally works 2-3 days, probably around 15 or so hours. She told me that for some reason they gave her a bunch of hours last week that she didn't want and told them that she didn't want. We work the same job so if my manager was competent she would have given me those hours so I would be happy and my coworker would be happy. Instead I got nothing and coworker got more than she wanted so both of us are pissed. The store's a mess because there aren't enough employees and nobody will stay hired since they work a week or two then leave. It's going to shut down soon I guarantee it.

I put in my 2 weeks there and am moving onto a job I actually am looking forward to and will probably enjoy. I would have just walked off but I didn't want to ruin references.

Edit: Forgot to add that the stuff about Men's being way overstocked and shoes way understocked and toys and poo poo just being stacked randomly by the escalator and everything being old and broken is apparently common because that's how it's been at my store and every sears I've seen.

Cowman has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Jul 26, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

natetimm posted:

FYI folks, loss prevention in those type of stores at that shoestring level is probably way more interested in busting employees than customers. I had a buddy who got caught stealing from Circuit City while he worked there back in the 90s. They called him into the office, threatened him with the cops, and eventually he relented into letting them search his house (wtf?). They ended up robbing him in the end, because once their loss prevention goons got into his house they just took everything Circuit City ever stocked.

our LP person quit and so there's no LP to speak of and now we just get poo poo stolen all the time and no one does anything.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Yep, exactly what I meant. As far as I know the Lowe's in my old town is entering year 6 of zero shoplifting protection.

I feel like it's some kind of facade the average person hasn't figured out yet, but once they do it will be an even bigger problem for Big Box retailers. Effective All Hours Loss Prevention is expensive and one of the first things cut as it doesn't actually affect the day to day operation of the store (stocking shelves / receiving freight / checking out customers)

And also to save money employees are vehemently prohibited from taking any measures to stop theft (avoiding lawsuits after thieves sued for injuries when employees representing a store injured them)

It's also really difficult to even just say someone's shoplifting because if they're not and you/the police detain them then they can sue for something like false accusations (forget the name of it). You have to basically see them shoplift and be 100% sure they didn't put the item down and have it on them and that there's video proof and all sorts of poo poo like that. I'm so glad to be done with retail. There was a lot of weird pettiness that I tried to keep out of but heard a lot of it second hand.

Cowman has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Jul 26, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Three-Phase posted:

I was at a KMart recently and it was pretty shabby.

However they did play both The Macerana and some song from 2 Unlimited or whatever over the audio system. That was mid-90s as hell.

They play a ton of 90s music and it's infuriating. There's also the incredibly boring Muzak that is just a droning ambient techno song that's terrible.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Remember that if the LP person got injured while trying to stop a theft the company would have to pay for workman's comp which would be more expensive than letting the shoplifter go.

We apparently had a dude walk out with a TV and no one stopped him because everyone thought he bought it. Same with vacuums and poo poo. As long as you act like you've bought the thing you probably won't be noticed by the regular staff and if there's not a LP person then you pretty much can walk off with anything without any issues.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

buttcrackmenace posted:

Back when I sold appliances at Sears, all female staff were all issued those transparent plastic purses, and were required to display them to LP staff when exiting the store.

There were no such restrictions placed on male sales staff - most of us in "big ticket sales" carried briefcases and were never required to open them up to LP staff.

Super-discriminatory.

this was back in the late 80's. Surely someone got sued behind that shity policy?

they still do that although I don't know about the briefcase thing because I never saw an employee carry one. I also never had them check my bag whenever I bought stuff there even though we were supposed to do that.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

SickZip posted:

The trajectory of oil and oil stocks over the last year is proof that the financial world is staffed by retards.

WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THESE PRICE MOVEMENTS COMING??

Oh...

so basically according to this I need to buy a bunch of oil right now because it's going to jump up $10 very soon so I can sell it for a profit

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Obviously they didn't say "Alright everyone, We need to be paying less money!"

It was probably a decision by some of our "Career Retail" managers to try and cut costs, but we had 110 people go through all of the training classes at other stores and help build our Lowe's when it opened, and we had almost everyone after a year, with only a few new cashiers.

Once they started slashing wages for new hires, and not giving any existing people wages the turnover rate skyrocketed. I was fired for bullshit reasons and had my unemployement denied by a manager that I didn't get along with. We started losing someone weekly or more. Commisions were no longer going through so we had salesmen quit. Department manager wages got locked, so some people were actually not taking any increase in pay to become department managers so a lot of them quit.

All the cashiers were cut to like 8-10 hours a week, sometimes 0. They also quit working with peoples schedules, so I had them scheduling me during my college classes I had been attending for a year, and we ended up losing a bunch of parents due to their schedules switching from days to nights. What had been 110 people working for a year straight with almost zero turnover turned into me being one of about 8 of the original employees left over the next six months, with all new employees making drastically reduced wages.

sounds exactly like what's happening at the sears I just quit working at today. They upped everyone's pay to $8.50/hr and then slashed hours so technically you made less than before. I don't know about the new hires but they barely last a week for the most part because they're only getting a handful of hours. It's terrible and I'm glad I finally left that drat place because it's collapsing hard and fast.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

How many hours a week are you working to make that 120k

and what the hell kind of mechanic gets paid $120k a year?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Booblord Zagats posted:

Aircraft, diesel for generators/military contracted trucks, certain sea faring vessels, turbines or a senior position at a high volume dealership.

Mechanics who can keep their nose clean and get certified and/or security clearances make incredible money

he said he works on cars

Zahi posted:

Honestly why don't the people who work in retail hell just go get trade degrees? You don't need to spend tons of money getting an MBA in an insanely competitive field making what 50k a year? I make about 120k working on cars, nothing special, and my trade degree was fully paid for by my company since everyone is so strapped for skilled labor right now in the trades. Skilled meaning "not a total retard and able to listen".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm looking around but I don't see anything else about the K-Mart closures other than the initial "Phase 1" and "Phase 2" stuff, but that poster said his cousin got ghosted completely and his K-Mart was closed with zero notice.

If it's widespread I'd assume people will start talking about it more though.

Really not surprised about this. It's probably how a lot of them are going to close in the near future which is terrible.