Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

If the AI exists and has enough power to do all of that, it has enough power to simply manipulate events to create itself as fast as possible. Furthermore these fuckers have no idea how to actually create said ai as fast as possible. Me typing on this forum might be accelerating its existence or might not, I have no way of determining what will or will not lead to said ai so I might as well do what I think is best and hope it all works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/bigendiansmalls/status/1412583168998350848?s=19

This is good, don't know how enforceable it'll be, but Right to Repair is a big deal to me.

It can be pretty enforceable, for making parts available to the public thats an easy one, most of those companies are going to have online presence, those parts better be up on the store or clearly violating

Software locks are easy enough to check and enforce on.

Making guides available is even easier, force them to be digitally uploaded.

This seems like an easy win for Biden to go with, and one the republican party would be stupid to oppose. (I am sure trump will come out against it somehow.)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

We've got em here in southeastern VA but I don't get the sense Elon Musk's little drill scam is up to it

Two Tunnels and four man made islands

Also fun fact, those tunnels were not drilled, they were built, they cut a trench for each tunnel line, then lowered prefabricated sections into place and had divers weld the sections tight, pumped the water out and then buried the lines. By doing so they ensured that the main shipping channels would be clear.

I personally travel on the Bay Bridge further up north which is apparently so terrifying that there is a service available where a person gets in your car, drives you over the bridge while you presumably froth at the mouth or something then gets out and you continue on your way, state used to pay for it but its privatized now.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, Disney recognizes that they are at the limit of what they can get away with as it is. Also they have diversified with many other IPs that have plenty of life left in them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I think any company designing a product to go into a bedroom area should consult a sleep doctor just so they don't miss very basic poo poo that will aggravate someone trying to rest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Calumanjaro posted:

On the bright side, they appear to be about the right size for chucking in lake Ontario.

I looked at the images, I want to hurt that robot simply for existing,

Also how they gonna stop me from taking the food out of the robot after I tip it over?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Motronic posted:

The kind that's not a legal apartment. Which is most definitely a popular thing in the bay area.

This, Where I live on the other hand, most apartment complexes are shifting to "you will be guaranteed your own in unit washer and dryer" to try to get people

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I live in an older suburb, there are services available within a reasonable walking distance of my house, could use an actual grocery store (there was one in the past but it closed.) within walking distance but there is one I can ride a bike to, there are also no less than 4 restaurant/bars within a three minute walk from my home and more options once you reach the main road through my area. The one thing it lacks is honestly public transport options, having a bus just on the main route would be great,

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

It is entirely to allow for quality control and inventory management to be done reliably. And then there are outside auditors that swing by and check that each brand is in fact getting the space and placement they paid for

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

I've only ever tried to claim a warranty for a logitech mouse and they sent me a brand new replacement for a 4 year old gaming mouse with very few questions asked. I dread the day I am forced to try and claim a warranty for an actual big ticket item.

v I was lucky enough to get a very nice LG LED set before everything was smart tvs. I finally upgraded to a 4k last year and while it's a great tv, the dumb poo poo they fill it with makes it a giant pain in the rear end. I wanted a tv, not a lovely computer. I have good computers and game consoles. I just need a drat screen. v

My spouse and I are fighting dealership and auto-manufacturer warranty on her car which they had a RECALL on to add software to look for some engine fault because of some thing or other and its a complete pain, we had to get EVERY single oil change (luckily we only had it a year and a bit so 5) but they have to tear the car open to look to see if it is covered and if it isn't covered its 6000 dollars for a new engine.

At least in this case I get why there is some fightning because BASICALLY if they do cover it they are effectively giving us a brand spanking new engine and eating the cost themselves but still, its a major headache and a lot of anxiety.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Paradox model seems okay so far.

Release a base game for $50. Every 3-6 months release an expansion pack that updates mechanics and gives new toys. New mechanics are free but toys cost $20.

Crusader Kings 2 was released in 2012 and was actively updated, vanilla and DLC, until CK3 dropped in late 2020.

Paradox also does some hiring from people in the modding community who tend to be very devoted to the game systems and it shows

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I play all of one mobile game, I tried a few, found one that I clicked with a community in and it hits enough of my ADHD buttons to satisfy me mentally. I tend to put 10 dollars a month on it, which more than meets my personal expenditure standards for a game.

What really has me is mobile comic reading apps

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Checking in from Jersey, I think we all know that it's a big con but good gravy does it feel nice to not get out of the car sometimes.

Jersey would not be Jersey WITHOUT the gas guys. Never change

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

We have plenty of Tea in America, we use it to steep our harbour water.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

This has come up before but

Car Companies Want You to Keep Paying For Features You Already Have

This is beyond hosed up IMO.

The hell is this, That makes no sense,

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Cheesus posted:

It was a big enough deal for my parents to bring us to Disney World a few times in the 80s. As a kid it was fun however even then I had this vague feeling of "Is this really worth it?"

A few months ago I got sucked into one of those Youtube channels recommending what to do/not to do (I was drawn in by the foods) and detailing some of the extreme nickle and diming that has been going on there and getting worse. I came way from those videos feeling that WDW today would be a tolerable experience only if I lived nearby. Otherwise, it seemed like it would be an obscene expense on the order of at least $10k for our family of three to fly or drive there and pay for lodging, even off premises.

I can drive 4-6 hours to "lesser" amusement parks, struggle to spend $1000 for a long weekend, and almost certainly have a more relaxing experience.

This, When I was a child I went a few times with family as part of a larger florida trip, like Disney was two days then we did other things for the rest of the week. Now if my family it would be THE trip, and it would happen once, not multiple times as kind of a summer add on.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I was looking at that hotel picture, the second one and my thought was "this is a warehouse right? i've done nightwork in places that look exactly like this."

Also the part where

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I suppose it's like comics where people think the market is all kids, but it's actual single men in their 30s.

Disney realised the really big money was attracting adults willing to pay insane sums.

There's a restaurant at Disney which has a restaurant with a flat fee of $15,000 per meal. It's for 12 people, but that's still a lot of money.

Oh and this is after you pay the $50,000 initiation fee.

Those men in their 30s WANT that kid experience again, thats what they are paying for, so it needs to IMPRESS them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think that's the big thing pissing people off the most about internet of things stuff.

They never seem to update on their own, but wait until someone goes to use them. Then lock themselves out until the update is done. Which is two different bits of bad design, right there.

Like that guy last year who had his IoT BBQ decide to do a massive update on some national beer drinking holiday.

Like if someone was smart in designing they would have it update AFTER it is used and just inform users, when you turn this device off this time, it is going to update instead and THEN turn off the power completely

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Volmarias posted:

I'm confused, does this involve an actually realistic possibility of jail time and or the seizure of billions of dollars in personal assets? Because if it's not I think they can very much avoid it. Worst case they show up and say "I don't recall" to any deposition, then pay the $1000/day fine or whatever.

I think the possibility of Zuck going into a jail is real. This is basically an indication that the judge is PISSED at what Zuck and Co. have been doing in this case.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Elon is increasingly likely to go to actual jail for the crime of loving up so badly it is causing harm to other very rich people's pocketbooks.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

its vogue for techbro types to do biohacking. weird stimulants isn't too abnormal but i dunno about this one, folks also take small doses of psychedelics to boost creativity (this is likely what musk abuses because the moments of epiphany that come on a good trip would be highly attractive to a guy positioning himself as the Savior of Mankind) and let us not forget the soylent guy nuked his gut flora with antibiotics in an attempt to minimize how often he defecates

But uh... pooping is how you get the nasty OUT of your body, you preferably want to take large consistent often dumps. I work in mental health and basically EVERY person in my care is on something to make them have huge massive shits to help clear their bodies out.

And if you are taking "substances" to "enhance performance" You probably want to be extra sure you are dumping out any metabolised aftereffects before you get wrecked.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

True but, OK. In my particular case I was working in a franchise sign making shop so make of that what you will. It was overkill.

This happens now in my current job dealing cards in a poker room. My supervisors and their supervisors have everything supposedly streamlined with a huge network of communication that ostensibly simplifies things but it really doesn't. Near as I can tell, my immediate supervisors spend WELL over half their times on tablets and phones, often ignoring betting action and issues on tables, and we have an employee WhatsApp thing we're supposed to use where well over half of those posts are people being "funny" and junking it up with bullshit.

The latter is supposed to be for us to post poo poo like if we're running late, need a ride, are sick and can't come in or want someone to switch hours with us and poo poo like that. But I've basically just come around to ignoring it because every morning when i look at it there's 85 new messages that have nothing to with our work and more than a few memes, IMPACT FONT and all, or single emoji shitposts. It's like a comments section only with employees.

Further, when we work a table ( my job is to read hands, count chips and ensure that bets are paid out correctly and no one cheats or fucks up), we log in under our names and PIN, count the rake every hand and make notes on it noting how much people bought in for, won or lost but NONE of that poo poo goes into ANY central data base and if we have a "dead spread", the tablet will go to sleep and the notes get lost. So my supervisor will ask me how much a player won/lost and I can't tell them because the tablet erased my notes.

It's pointless.

But everyone I work with knows when I'm gonna be 10 minutes late

E

I'm not saying this stuff can't be incredibly useful is done right but, like most things related to the internet, we have to separate the white noise from the information that's actually useful (like in my example up there where someone on my way in to work needs a lift) but I can't daily sift through 75 messages to get to that.

Think spam or a Reddit thread.

I have a part time job working with a housing program for the homeless, we are deliberately low tech as all get out and everything is on paper, works pretty well overall and the audits go smoothly because the government agencies can just go "yes these people have their documents (they needed them to get in.) their rents have been paid (paper receipt book with triplicate carbon paper. Takes them seconds and it takes me the time it takes me to scrawl my monthly meeting note with my people on a sheet of paper that goes in their file.

MEANWHILE. I took someone to an urgent care yesterday, they do not have a phone, the entire sign in process requires a cell phone to operate, them not having a phone literally shut down the front desk while they tried to figure out what to do about it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

My car has remote start but to actually move the car requires a key inserted into the ignition and turning on the remote start also locks the doors and disables remote unlocking meaning you have to open the doors manually with the physical key.

ITS FANTASTIC for warming the thing up in winter

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

MrNemo posted:

I have to admit I've got work apps on my android phone. Previous workplace issued me a work phone and I prefer having it on my personal. Android segregates work apps and let's me turn them off so (supposedly) work doesn't have access to any of my personal stuff and I can set the apps to not run at all when I'm not working.

This means not getting to have an extra phone with a UI I'm not so comfortable with that was also slow as poo poo with a bit very good fingerprint scanner (it was an old budget Samsung). Admittedly that's not the same as work demanding that you install a load of personal apps that they have access and control over. Current place is Google based so it's pretty well managed in terms of distinguishing personal and work apps.

The limit of my work apps on my phone is, e-mail and the application that does the timeclock and other payroll things for me so I can clock in and out without having to sit at a desktop. I wouldn't even have the email but they switched to 2-factor authorization and I hate it, so being logged in via phone is just easier for me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Since we've been talking about empty retail or office spaces, I keep thinking about all the empty malls I see and wondering what's going to happen there. I'd imagine they'd make decent homeless shelters at a minimum. Most of them have food courts that could be used and I would think that people who are really down on their luck or with no shelter at all would adjust OK to sleeping on beds in what used to be a Spencer's or EB Games. They have adequate electric, restrooms and sanitation facilities. You just need to add bedding and (probably the biggest challenge) shower and bathing areas so I don't know what you do there.

It couldn't be any worse than a real homeless shelter. Plus you have a kind of enclosed neighborhood. It beats tent cities. We could put a medical facility in there.

I suppose the property itself is too valuable to the owners to make that viable though so then we're back to subsidizing. However entire malls just sitting there empty can't be generating much profit either.

I know this will probably never happen but all these places are just sitting there empty and, at a minimum, they have roofs.

Probably more likely that (mega)churches will start buying them up and making little self contained cults out of them where the old movie theater is now where they preach and they have prayer circles at the old fountain.

Honestly thats... not the most terrible idea in the world, the stores already have water hookups for most of them so adding a shower/tub/washer and dryer set ups are not the worst jobs, frankly they have enough exits for in case of a fire that you wouldn't have much of an issue with that either. Figuring out what to do with the back of store areas and the anchor locations would be harder. With my work doing inventory, in some of those older malls, there is enough hidden back space to hid a small army in that in a lot of cases is just.... empty these days. You could convert the anchors into like community spaces with some effort.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I use self checkouts because often they are open and clear at the time I am shopping and the clerks are filled up. My spouse and I enjoy soda, we buy two liters (frankly a lot of two liters.) if They don't let me just scan my 8 two liter bottles in my cart and go about my day, and want to weight check that poo poo, I happily comply and slam the two liters down on those lovely little scales don't don't actually do much to solve anything but annoy people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought there was some kind of law that says advertisements must be clearly labeled? I know the joke response is going to be “lol :capitalism:” but I feel like at some point it became an actual thing with YouTube and twitch videos requiring them to be labeled and I feel like all blogs I read have advertisements clearly labeled too.

It clearly says ad in the corner, it is visible enough to pass muster as well. Ad is in the same size as the rest of the text as well.