Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Well I'm happy for you, but I didn't say that you can't ignore it, I said the game won't let you. You can't skip any of the cutscenes or the voice logs, and despite nailing Hayden's whole deal in the intro they still fumbled later on and have multiple segments where all you can do is just loiter around while he says the same thing at you over and over- things he could be saying while you're going through the level. To me it feels like the developers were shooting for having as little story as possible, and in that way they succeeded as much as you can in a modern high-profile video game. Where they failed was how they deliver that exposition to you.

??

Theres like...3 scenes in the entire game where this happens.

are you a child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

And those three scenes are bad, which is the point of what he's saying?

it's a combined 5 or 10 minutes in the entire game. The scene in Hayden's office is just an health/ammo restock. They aren't painfully badly written or voiced and they are brief pauses, he's real dumb to whine about it.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Criticising the game for having completely flow breaking exposition scenes is real dumb?

Games don't go at at the same pace all the time my friend!!

even in the kill poo poo and blow it up simulator, short breaks are good things.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The more I think about it the more I feel like the game we have here is probably not what was originally envisioned.

I guess I keep coming back to the story, which feels like somebody took a mostly-finished script, cut out a lot of bullshit and fluff and pretentious nonsense, scribbled in a few scenes of their own and then filmed it. With the massive volume of codex info and the whole backstory of Robot Doctor, I can't help but wonder if the original story had once been far more prominent.

I guess it's spoilers to say further, but the game really irritated me when it plants the incredibly obvious trap in my suit when I visit Samuel. I don't mind his character being there, it's kind of nice to have a malevolent, yet not exactly menacing figure posing as your "support" instead of the usual cute girl archetype. I mind that he basically steals the ending from me, laughs in my face as if he's won. Then he uses his bullshit teleport thing to send me someplace else (I hope some weird alien dimension to kick off the sequel with something different). But that ending is so unsatisfying and stupid, it's clumsily set up in a way that's pretty insulting to the player and then ultimately it doesn't pay off. We don't see WHERE he sent us--a final haunting vision of some brand new kind of hellscape or an alien exterior or something--and the result is me being mocked by a guy who has done gently caress and all this entire game.

I'm sure the ending has already drawn a lot of ire already since the game's hardly new, but I still can't quite get over how unsatisfying it is, and I can't help but wonder if it--like a lot of the sort of needless amount of plot the game still has--is a relic of a previous direction the title was taking or if it was just a poorly thought out attempt at a sequel hook.

you are going to kill samuel hayden

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Kill the Robot

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
yall talking about movies wheres that dude in here who couldn't finish the 2 minute cutscene of olivia pressing imaginary buttons

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
dont forget smashing that zombies face to start the game

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Mister No posted:

With that codex entry, I took that as an assumption that the whole reason the demons invaded Mars was because Sammy took the sarcophagus. Until I get through a 100% save again to double check, I'm gonna go ahead and head canon that.

The demons aren't attacking humanity out of malice, but fear.

idk m8 im pretty sure the demons are assholes who eat people and dimensions according to "the lore"

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Spacedad posted:

My favorite story moment in DO4M was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQTTIp_M8A

The game put itself on pause for a little bit to watch the antagonist conduct a synthwave symphony from literal hell. It really added a fun little layer to the game's atmosphere I enjoyed a lot.

I'm hoping for more clever moments like that in the next game.

two of three times i can remember the effects on this scene (the displays on her side she interacts with) didnt display, so i just watched olivia wave her hands around at nothing and it was magical

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
This thread has consumed itself. wrap it up please and ban everyone, it's time to start over.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
half life 2 sucks

source: noone talks about half life 2 in 2018

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i like the new content

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Barudak posted:

The Doom 4 we got lost an entire 1 point on a 10 point scale with me for just for that single exposition closet. I'm pretty extreme in my attitude, I'll admit that, but if you had a Doom 4 where that occurred dozens of times you would not end up with a good game that people uniformly praise. Think about old games that couldn't stick to the genre they are and so people have to couch any praise of the game and recommendations with that knowledge. Thats what would happen except possibly worse because its happening with non-gameplay.

are you that impatient

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
you travel back and forth from venus like it aint poo poo

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Relative to hype and budget and expectations? (and pre-release media slobbering)

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait so ARC calls the demons "mortally challenged" too? I thought that was just a silly joke about crazed UAC propaganda adopting woke language for literal blood-drinking demons.

This is one of the tells about how bad the writing is in this game. I don't know what changed, and I saw some people 1500 posts ago talking about writer turnover, but this is the biggest thing about the almost incoherent nonsense that is all over the codex. Mortally challenged was a bad joke to begin with, but it's not even a joke, it's literally the generic term the enemies of Hell in this universe are using.

The gameplay is super fun and frenetic, and I can't even imagine finishing some of the later Slayer Gates on Nightmare. But my god, did they butcher everything that the first game did to set up a simple, straightforward and enjoyable world/story narrative.

The closest example I can think of is the disaster that is all of Starcraft 2's story compared to the original. But that was Blizzard! We know they suck! What happened id? :(

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

it's supposed to be really dumb. it's hosed up stupid weird corporate human resources speak.

they are clearly no-longer-paid interns who are learning valuable on the job experience and forming connections that will last them into eternity

What?

Isn't ARC supposed to be a military coalition formed from the remnants of the world armies too? What is this corporate nonsense? Why would they stick with it long after breaking away from the UAC? It's just really lazy writing.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

You learn about it in the lore codices - ARC is the (non-cultist) UAC, because Hayden showed up shortly after the demonic invasion began with a shitload of baller technology in tow as well as a mostly-intact global manufacturing and logistics concern that could be tooled to military production within the day, so they straight up put the super-genius cyborg savior in charge.

Except that's not actually relevant to the matter at hand because the stuff refering to the "mortally challenged" etc. is from the cultist faction of the UAC, not the ARC faction.

I'm aware. But the ARC broadcasts specifically and repeatedly use the phrase mortally challenged and 'the challenged'.

Is literally every member of ARC from the UAC? We're told it's formed from the remnants of the (non-cultist) UAC and the cobbled together militaries, with the UAC providing the technology, research, and mass production facilities.

It doesn't make sense. Even if they were from the UAC, why would they continue using that term? The UAC spokesperson woman is the only voiced enemy who says it, but the entire surviving human coalition has adopted this as their official term for demons? I don't understand this at all. The writing is really terrible on a technical level, but this stuff, and basically everything about Hayden is just terrible story telling. I have whiplash from the massive shift from 2016.

Mentioning the UAC spokeswoman, does anyone else get Mass Effect vibes from her animations and expressions?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Augus posted:

The Unmakyr is incredibly cool and fun to shoot but it also seems kinda not worth it? Since it shares ammo with the BFG and the BFG is an instant room clearer and all.

BFG is way better, but maybe not against the handful of enemies who don't instantly to a bfg shot? I'm not really sure, but it is extremely fun to clear a room with, even if the bfg is always the better choice.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

slow_twitch posted:

I last checked this thread thirty pages ago and here you are still incessantly complaining about this game. Why don't you just go do anything else instead?

Believe it or not the developers didn't build this game to suit your every fancy.

They don't run this thread either.

If you don't want to read criticism of Doom Eternal why read the Doom eternal thread? The game had alot of flaws. I'm glad seeing other people have the same feelings I do.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Post-game questions:

Am I to understand that the Maykrs are just another type of demon like the ones in Hell, just a different kind of evil?

Where did Doomguy go at the end of 2016, and how did he get back?

How are you supposed to find the code for the second file on the computer? I know that it's FLYNNTAGGART, but that's cause I looked it up.

What does getting all the toys give you?

Who was screaming "nooo!!!" at the end of the Khan Maykr boss fight? Vega?

Also, I'm loving gobsmacked at how many tutorials were in this game. It feels like the game was constantly being interrupted by random dumbassed windows explaining things that I'm supposed to learn by playing the loving game.

This game had a very bad case of Tell, Don't Show, really.

The Maykrs are supposed to be aliens, sort of, but angels basically. The codex presents them as aliens with such advanced technology and metaphysical existence that they and their home planet exist in another dimension, making it almost impossible to reach. Similar to the Hell Dimension. The game isn't really clear if they were ever genuinely providing a utopian resting place for the souls of the dead Night Sentinels and any other culture, but they appear to various races//peoples of the galaxy as godlike beings, and were worshipped as such.

They became evil because the current Khan maykr wanted to escape the natural lifespan of their race, because apparently samuel loving hayden who is also a maykr stole the god-like figure that reincarnates or reconstitutes their leader every ten thousand years. They needed to corrupt the night sentinels because they can't go to hell themselves, for unexplained reasons. So someone had to build the giant factory of suffering inside the hell dimesion that gives them argent energy, which somehow lets maykrs stay alive forever. I guess.

As for who was screaming, I thought it was Khan Maykr herself. But I can barely hear any of the dialog in the big fights in this game.

Yeah. I think. I don't know. 2016 was so straight forward.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Really don't like the fact that doomguy was given his powers by someone else. It was a thousand times better when he just kinda became the unstoppable force he was through sheer anger and maybe extended exposure to hell or whatever. Hell I really liked imagining that he was still more or less human, just a preternaturally skilled one who had been honed to perfection by eons of specializing in one single activity.

Similarly, it bothers me so much what they did with hayden, if he's really a maykr. Hayden was a great villain to leave for a sequel in 2016, but part of that is because he is so laser-focused on making humanity great at any cost. Now he's just some epic alien mastermind. It's so bad, so dumb, everything about him in this game is a terrible retcon of a really fun villain. And they still have the obvious seeds of something interesting, with Hayden going back to earth in the most dramatic fashion possible, which does seem in character with the god complex he has, and then loving up. As usual. Instead...he's part of some awful cosmic struggle stretching milennia.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The backstory is basically the Makyrs, from Not Heaven, were an interdimensional imperialist culture that convinced everyone they met to convert to worshipping them, and presumably give them tithes and whatnot. They find a culture that's basically the Spartans from 300 with some Warcraft 3 design elements and decide to go on a poorly veiled neocon Iraq War style crusade, complete with lines like "they'll greet us as liberators! We're bringing FREEDOM!!". They learn about Hell, and that it has oil (Essence). They learn that you have to trade blood for oil, and that jazzing it up by adding the energy from the old gods of the Warcraft planet makes high octane super oil, so they come to an agreement with Hell to give them access to the worlds they know about and to torture as many souls as they want, as long as Heaven gets a cut to keep living the lifestyle they're accustomed to. This goes on in perpetuity until Doomguy gets so mad after Doom 2 that he falls into a portal, meets the Spartans, gets involved in the anti-Makyr insurgency because he's a radical third world revolutionary out to destroy all capitalism/Hell, and things go from there.

You never really learn what happens after 2016 but it goes full blown Army of Darkness/ Warhammer 40k/90's metal album cover wild at every opportunity.

Edit: Mick Gordon did an excellent job as usual. The black metal choir was a good touch and A False Idol is a good track to get all hosed up on bloodlust while shooting demons to.

My reading was that the maykrs don't make their deal with hell until well after doomslayer has come to the night sentinels, because they hadn't encountered hell at that point. It was doomguy who warned the maykrs and the sentinels about hell coming, and the night sentinels don't go to war with hell until after he's joined them.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Assessor of Maat posted:

There's some time loop bullshit going on, I can taste it.

Don't give them ideas!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm guessing the body was either a transfigured previous Khan or a stillborn future Khan that never got to see the throne.

Or just a boring old maykr plebe who didn't get finished.

The codex also says that the maykrs have collective mind, and can see all potentialities. We're also told Samur was essentially a renegade for choosing to make the slayer divine. But the maykrs are supposed to be incapable of defying a khans will.

I don't rule out that it's supposed to be part of the khan's willingness to do evil to perpetuate herself, but I really think it's just more poor and inconsistent writing that doesn't explain why Samur was able to get away with it if he was defying so many people. How did he do this in secret?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

How do you not press eight different buttons every time you move your hand?

claw grip gang

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

For real, the Betrayer, a character who appear only in a single scene, has more character depth than anyone in 2016.
A hermit in self-exile gives you the means of killing the last living remnant of his son, that meant so much to him that he was willing to doom all of his comrades in arms for to get back, in an attempt at some sort of redemption despite it making his betrayal ultimately pointless.

Meanwhile what were the motivations of Olivia Piece for example? Studying Hell made her loopy now she does what hell wants.
Writing of the century right there.

lol

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Byyzylbyb

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

yes

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
doom eternals lore tidbits were jokes yes, but the joke is that they were really awful and lazy attempts at writing

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I might be dumb as poo poo but is there a way to buy the Doom Franchise bundle on Steam and get the deluxe edition if you already own the base game? Its really cheap, enough to make me want to check out the DLC but the Year 1 pass and Ancient Gods aren't on special by themself, and if I try to buy the bundle that has the Deluxe Edition it just says I already own it.

new steam account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Infinite ammo isn't even that relevant, you don't get it until 2/3 of the game is finished. The higher ammo capacity is the real reason 2016 is clearly the superior game.