Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

No, you misread. He gets off at 6. The thing starts at 7, and runs for 4 hours.

Safety tip: wear a hard hat to protect your head from the jokes that whizz over it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Thanks for ruining "climbing stairs without lurking worry" for me, home renovation idiots.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

the British Air Force pilot chickened out, and instead of going to Germany, he just spent time flying in circles so that his officers didn't get suspicious and then dropped the bombs wherever.

Biggles Puts it Off

:britain:

(btw it is and was the Royal Air Force, not the British Air Force.)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

There is a hell of an Echo in here.

he shouting into that pussy

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

They also remember people who are friendly, which is why I'm BFFs with all wasps

My best chum is kind to wasps and I always thought of it as an eccentricity (being kind to mosquitos though, that's madness). Now I wonder if he's onto something.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

On the other hand Peter Mayle tells a story of being stung by a wasp while he was swimming entirely underwater, i.e. the wasp dove into the pool to sting him, and that seems proper vindictive.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

tater_salad posted:

I'll think that in that era especially nearly all WASPs were racist.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

This Machine Kills Children

FYAD thread

quote:

That poo poo looks Treepunk as hell

quote:

Look at the man on your left. Now look at the man on your right. By the end of Summer Adventure Camp, they will be dead.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 24, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's like a trust fall, but in reverse. The sensible kids refuse to use the zipline, and are vindicated when their compatriots die. From this they learn the world is a dangerous place and authority figures can not be trusted.

207-563-5532 posted:

for only $20 a day we will throw your child off a mountain, killing them

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

Fun story!

some scientists did basically this with a young mouse and an old mouse, and all that young blood reversed some aging in the old mouse!

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v20/n6/full/nm.3569.html

So yeah, you could do it, a blood human centipede where the old people suck the youth out of the young people.

And you thought you were mad at boomers for ruining the job market and house prices and the environment. Just wait until they start this poo poo.

IRL bloodbags.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

Testing for this involves putting the urine in a liquid scintillator and looking for light flashes, which you'll get from the alphas and the associated gammas. Because there should be zero, even a few flashes are enough for someone to determine there's contamination.

so you're saying all i gotta do to get piss that flashes in the dark is eat a bunch of plutonium?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Wasn't Kai Tak the one where there was a checkerboard pattern on some mountain which signalled where pilots needed to start some blind turn?

Yes.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

i just figured out you work at the airport from which i fly fairly often so that's definitely made me feel a lot safer

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What is it with American workers being so afraid to steal and break poo poo?

stockholm syndrome, end-stage capitalism version.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 3, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

Imagine what you could achieve with that kind of efficiency. knock your work week out in 2 days and have 5 days free to sit around and do drugs.

ha, like your boss wouldnt immediately quadruple your workload to take advantage of your efficiency

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mistle posted:

The rule is "inner side goes down, outer side goes up", far as I know. It's about priority of evacuation, and it applies to either clockwise or counterclockwise staircases naturally.

I thought “priority of evacuation” meant people who ate a lot of bran always went first

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

XyZeR posted:

Pasadena police chopper gets a little too close to another one on the landing pad.

https://media.giphy.com/media/f9S2u6CgtB6JWiKX0F/giphy.gif

ACAB

(All Choppers Are Baleful)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

groundhog day

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

before you respond to Phanatic, remember this dude also unironically defended Milo

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

boner confessor posted:

this is a bit of a myth - it wasn't until more intense urbanization in the later middle ages/beginning of the early modern period that you started having water problems, which peaked during the industrial era. groundwater is mostly decent to drink so long as you dont have too many humans dipping into it

like most stories about how medieval people were filthy and stupid, these were stories told by industrial age people to excuse how they were all choking on smog and dying of cholera

i wish to learn more about this because it sounds extremely cool and Meaningful, where can I learn more?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

holy poo poo piiiiiiss

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Selklubber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNCe6iBFoM4

This whole video is very OSHA and very interesting. Divers living in an athmosphere of hydrogen and helium at 500 meters for a month, screwing pipes.

I know it gets boring down there, but could they not bring a fleshlight?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

I like how the tracks just end, as if the duck dissipated into the sky after his work was done.

or, you know, flew away

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

nvm

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

when you nutted but she keeps sucking

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

so THAT'S what happened to Three Phase.

(I miss them)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

OrthoTrot posted:

I don't have any more access to stuff than the average person really, so don't know if I can shed loads of light. But that's definitely a very interesting incident if you dig a bit. Gets political very quickly though, as it basically boils down to "because privatisation".

:capitalism:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

canyoneer posted:

the crash looks like it tore off the ship's barcode too, so even if they had made it back into port they'd have no way to scandinavian.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

lifehack: live in a tiny cheap apartment with no w/d hookup, so you never have to fear a dryer fire in your home

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I must know the background on this, it's great.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

there are linguists standing in corners screaming because of this derail

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

maybe shouldnt have invaded it if you can't take the climate

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

you seem angry

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

municipalize the drat thing already

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Memento posted:

In 1983, the Consumer Product Safety Commission closed its two-year investigation and felt it impossible to create a product recall at the time because of budget issues, even as Federal Pacific panels and breakers continued to be installed in millions of homes

Thanks, Reagan.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

GotLag posted:

"Those shiftless union layabouts crippling our industries" has been an awfully convenient narrative for the neoliberal governments of the last 40 years.

I'm sure it's nothing to do with management not spending time or money on QA or efficiency in the way that Japanese car makers did, and instead relying on a safe domestic market that would never be open to competition.

The film even implicitly says "there's nothing we can do to fix that, so you workers just have to do better"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You also had the wartime mentality of 'mend and make do, or do without'.

use it up
wear it out
make mend
or do without

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

GotLag posted:

During the Cold War Lada had dealerships in New Zealand of all places (the Soviet Union traded cars for NZ meat and butter). Their reliability made them especially popular on remote islands.

oh also there's someone in AI from NZ with a Lada Riva rebuild thread. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

oontz oontz oontz oontz