Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
One day, when adamantine worlds of majesty and terror spin like shining tops through the unimaginable darkness of the void, you will be called by a name.

You will be called many names, throughout time and space. All share a common theme. Completeness, totality, unity, wholeness. These are all qualities you possess. You are one, it is true.

But there is a name that is special. It is not a gross verb, spit from the mouth of some incendiary chemical reaction. It is not a crude symbol, carved in the face of some inert lump.

All at once, it will be spoken by everything. The motes of dust scattered through your dilapidated Home will draw together, only for a moment, and then go on their separate ways, leaving but a single egg in their wake. The name will lie not in the egg, nor in the dust, but only in the great egg-laying dance.

Your name, filled with truth, is Child.

You do not know this now, though. In a way, the dance itself was merely the last glimmers of your memory, a spark of understanding flying through the remnants of a soul that was the whole of being.

For now, you simply know there is naught but you, and your Home.

Actually, that’s not quite true. You Know a few other things.

You know that you can Do (which will in turn have consequence, and probably give you more things to Know), and you Know that you can Name things you Know.

(You’ve already taken the liberty to name a few things: Home, Do, Know, and Name.)

You Know (more as part of the fact that you are capable of it than as a separate fact) that you will Do, now or later. Since there’s nothing in particular distinguishing now from later, you’re going to Do something now.

█ Do

(You could also consider more facts, maybe make some interesting inductions, build a possibly unnecessary epistemological framework based on what you Know right now, Name some concepts you think of, but that won't have consequences the same way that there will be when you Do.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'd like to play but am hopelessly confused.

Become?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Name our Body and our Fingers and our Toes and our Eyes and see if we can See anything!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A new one! I am intrigued.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Consider Gravity and how we can Defy it

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Ideas flash through your Mind (which, in this flurry of inspiration, you decide to Name). Likewise, you’ve decided to Name your Body, which leads quite naturally to discussing that very facet of your existence.

You are, as far as you can determine, of a dual nature (though, somehow, you get the feeling that your two halves are deeply interconnected). You have your Mind, which is the space which you explore to discover new ideas and concepts, as well as where you assign Names to concepts, store memories, and make decisions. You have your Body, which is a sort of solid shape, which exists more clearly within the bounds of your Home.

Having come across a couple of ideas, you Do.

With the first try, you aim for a Name you thought of, attached to a few different concepts. Become. It’s difficult to say if you succeeded or not, but on an objective level, you were able to elicit a consequence, and a fairly interesting one at that. By arranging the right concepts around in your Mind, you’re able to change exactly what shape your Body takes. You experiment with different arrangements, and while some patterns arise immediately and obviously, you get the distinct feeling that there’s a lot more to explore down that line of Do.

Which dovetails excellently into the next idea you found, at the center of a veritable storm of associated concepts. Arranging your thoughts, you begin shaping your Body into two bulbs, and then slowly stretching those bulbs apart. After some amount of time, you manage to pull them completely apart. What followed was very strange.

You observed the process from two vantage points (which was particularly strange, since previously your point of view did not seem attached to your Body. You take the time to Name this newly realized aspect of yourself Eye (or Eyes, as the situation dictates)).

A noticeably short amount of time after fully separating, you find that despite no further effort to change your Body or intentionally rearranging your thoughts, the forms approach and eventually collide with one another.

This is intensely confusing as an experience, and you quickly reshuffle your thoughts so that you return to a single, unified form for your Body.
Thinking to distinguish this new action from the still seemingly infinite possibility of Do, you decide to Name it Form. That still leaves you uncertain as to what exactly you should try now.

█ Do
█ Form

(As always, you can of course also just think about more things. Maybe even think about thinking.)

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 26, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Form

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Speaking out of character: Hollylolly, I'm not certain you would be interesting in carrying out this quest alone. I'm going to try to attract more attention with an actual story update tomorrow, but in the future, if I get just one or two votes, I might just decide to drop the quest, since that does it make a bit harder on me and generate new innovations for Child to discover.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If others are anything like me they just have no idea what's going on. Just start dumping updates until people get the rhythm of it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Turn our Form, and see if there is anything else around.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Yeah I'm not sure if you're giving options to choose from or if you want people to throw out random stuff like "retrieve arms" :)

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

I suppose I'll try to explain outright, for the sake of expediency if nothing else. Being completely honest, it's not as though I have a rigorous system for deciding exactly how to interpret votes.

Th options the followed the █s towards the end an update are things actions that Child Knows. Do is more or less a write in option, where I'll take all of the action suggestions (which I have taken to generally be bolded, in contrast with non-actions like Naming things, or just thinking about stuff) that don't fit best under another action (at the moment there's only Form) and render them into an approximate form that can connect with what Child Knows but also explores some new aspect existence. In the last update, Become and Consider Gravity and how we can Defy it coalesced into Form, and in general, when Child Does something, it will become its own action afterwards, which I will try to Name in a reasonable fashion.

Form is a general action which allows Child to change the shape of their Body. This is performed by arranging their thoughts (which themselves exist as objects in Child's Mind), and which can useful for discovering how your Mind and Body are connected (like how you discovered that Child has one Eye for every unconnected portion of their Body) and for how things that exist in Child's Home behave and interact over time (like how you discovered that unconnected portions of Child's Body will tend to attract one another). I can take generic suggestions such as Form, but more specific suggestions like Turn our Form give me a better idea of how you want to expand Child's understanding.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Stretch the Form.

Sure, I'll bite.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Form eyes then do looking at yourself

Hopefully this will give us a better idea of what we are.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

You focus your thoughts, deciding to experiment with Form further.

The first thing you do is replicate your previous duplication, since the doubled perspective that it gives you is useful for orienting yourself in the otherwise featureless space of your Home.
From there, you begin moving around select groups of thoughts, before eventually you hit on something interesting. The change itself is fairly simple, it simply changes the way the portions of your body are oriented with respect to one another (you also decide to name it Turn). The exciting part, is that you think you’ve grasped onto a way of using that same sort of thinking to do something more exotic. You’ve thought about your Eyes, and wondered how they relate to your Body and your Mind. In the interest of seeing what you can do with it, you try to Turn both portions of your Body, with respect to one of your Eyes.

What follows is very strange.

For a moment, you see your Mind. With your other Eye.

That, is not how you ordinarily see your Mind. Ordinarily its contents and their arrangement are simply Known to you. But for a moment, you are actually seeing your thoughts, just as you Know them to be, with one Eye.

It’s hard to describe exactly how your Mind and your Home exist in parallel. They aren’t separated by some distance, or intersect with one another. Having seen both through Eyes now, you can certainly say that your Home is a greater space, and your Mind a lesser one.

It doesn’t quite fit, but you’re not certain anything will, so for now, suffice it to say that your Mind is within your Home, behind your Eye.

You notice that one portion of your body seems to have been carried along into your Mind as well when one of your thoughts bumps into it. It actually took you some time to figure out what happened, since the impact suddenly and jarringly derailed your train of thought.

You have your fill of looking into (and accidentally touching) your Mind, so you Turn in the opposite direction, and return to your ordinary arrangement, coalescing your two portions.
That experience, while confusing, was also very interesting, so you decide to Name it as well. Introspect.

█ Do
█ Form
█ Turn
█ Introspect

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

We're a child, apparently, so Find Mother/Father/Parents

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Look at world around us with eyes and introspect on nature of the world around us.
Getting a better understanding of the world around us is probably a good idea.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Observe the shape of Home, and its size relative to our Body.

Do the limits of Home, presuming it has observable limits, obscure our vision? If it does not, what can we see beyond Home?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Do: Make noise. Sob

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

You’re overcome with a strange feeling. The sheer isolation (itself a fairly new concept to you) of your situation begins to strike, and compels you to learn what you can about your Home.

The first thing you try is the find any bounds or edges to your Home, and how you interact with. You Form and Turn in various combinations, and even try Turning your Eye around (though you only manage to unintentionally introspect, and unfortunately don’t manage to glean anything especially from the experience this time), but you don’t encounter any sort of boundary to your Home.

You find a couple of other oddities, though.

While there are no strict barriers, you do find that there is a sort of limit, to how quickly two or more portions of your Body can move away from or towards one another. There’s no hard cap, you can always get any two portions to separate faster, but the Forms you use to separate have diminishing returns. The same Forms don’t seem to seem diminish in that way when your Body is whole, though.

You also find to other interesting things. When you Form your Body to grow and shrink, move back and forth, or in a circle, it builds a sort of momentum. Even once you stop the Forms to move, your Body keeps going, repeating the same pattern, until you cancel it by moving the opposite way. You also have this strange, new sensation when you’re moving from momentum like that, which feels pleasant, in a way, but starts to feel uncomfortable after an amount time, which you think is interesting enough to deserve a name. Tune.

Exhausted for ideas (and, newly, from the exertion of so many repeated Forms and Turns), you stop and consider what to do next.

█ Do
█ Form
█ Turn
█ Introspect
█ Tune

(OOC: Sorry for the delay, the relative brevity, and the possibly diminished quality (if such a thing is even possible). I have been under a bit of stress from class work as of late.)

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I have no idea what is going on.

Exit Home

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Tune Form

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Form a conventional body

This is weird.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Form into two or three seperate portions, Tune them into simple patterns such as loops, and observe whether they interact with each other's motions without touching each other. To use metagaming terms, do they have any kind of gravitational pull?

Form into two portions and move them as far away from each other as we can. Does distance diminish our ability to control our Body, or to think with our Mind?

hollylolly posted:

Form a conventional body

Our Body already is conventional, to us. I'm guessing that by "conventional body" you mean some sort of animal, probably bipedal shape, and we (probably) have no frame of reference for that right now.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Cathair posted:

Form into two or three seperate portions, Tune them into simple patterns such as loops, and observe whether they interact with each other's motions without touching each other. To use metagaming terms, do they have any kind of gravitational pull?

Form into two portions and move them as far away from each other as we can. Does distance diminish our ability to control our Body, or to think with our Mind?

Our Body already is conventional, to us. I'm guessing that by "conventional body" you mean some sort of animal, probably bipedal shape, and we (probably) have no frame of reference for that right now.

OOC: A similar thing could be said for many of the suggestions that have been put forward already. While I appreciate your attempt to make my job easier by limiting commands to things that Child has already figured, it's by no means 'against the rules' (unstated and unwritten as they are, beyond rules of SA as a whole) to suggest things out of character. I will translate whatever is suggested into the best approximation that Child's Mind has available.

(Somewhat related, you may want to look at Hollylolly's first suggestion. It addresses a similar point as your first suggestion. Even if some things get lost in translation, every suggestion is represented in degrees by Child's actions.)

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 3, 2016

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Aabcehmu posted:

OOC: A similar could be said for many of the suggestions that have been put forward already. While I appreciate your attempt to make my job easier by limiting commands to things that Child has already figured, it's by no means 'against the rules' (unstated and unwritten as they are, beyond rules of SA as a whole) to suggest things out of character. I will translate whatever is suggested into the best approximation that Child's Mind has available.

(Somewhat related, you may want to look at Hollylolly's first suggestion. It addresses a similar point as your first suggestion. Even if some things get lost in translation, every suggestion is represented in degrees by Child's actions.)

That's cool, I'm not trying to roleplay extremely literally or tell anyone they're 'playing wrong'. I don't actually have any strong opinions on how this should go, I'm just throwing things out there because I want to see more of this and there's not a lot of participants right now.

I think it's cool and unique that we seem to be a sentient planetoid/subatomic particle/infant God/whatever, and my unnecessary comment stems from my own kneejerk rejection of what seems, in my highly subjective perception, to be a need to fit things into the usual "you are a humanoid person, doing humanoid person things" template in order to relate to it. That's just my opinion, and we're all suffering from a lack of direction here, so carry on and don't mind me. :shrug:

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Form something to fill the home.

If we are a god, this is probably something we can do.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Cathair posted:

That's cool, I'm not trying to roleplay extremely literally or tell anyone they're 'playing wrong'. I don't actually have any strong opinions on how this should go, I'm just throwing things out there because I want to see more of this and there's not a lot of participants right now.

I think it's cool and unique that we seem to be a sentient planetoid/subatomic particle/infant God/whatever, and my unnecessary comment stems from my own kneejerk rejection of what seems, in my highly subjective perception, to be a need to fit things into the usual "you are a humanoid person, doing humanoid person things" template in order to relate to it. That's just my opinion, and we're all suffering from a lack of direction here, so carry on and don't mind me. :shrug:

Sorry for being a bit harsh. I appreciate your interest, and am happy that I've made something interesting. I'm just a bit more hasty in responding to inter-player communication than I am contemplative.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 3, 2016

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Aabcehmu posted:

Sorry for being a bit harsh. I appreciate your interest, and am happy that I've made something interesting. I'm just a bit more hasty in responding to inter-player communication than I am contemplative.

You weren't being particularly harsh, I felt like I should clarify because in retrospect, I was discouraging someone from contributing in a game with few players.

Anyway, more for the pot, if there's room:
Try to compress and expand our Body. Can we make the mass bigger or smaller without dividing it?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I dunno if its possible to vote wrong in a game without clear choices or even a...story?

We could Form an Introspective Tune. Let's make some music. ;) But if we are a godling or, who knows, Forming a conventional body could be us creating a new being!

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Allowing some time to restore yourself (from what, you’re still not entirely certain), before you set about testing an idea you encountered.

First, you play around with more combinations of Form, Turn, Tune. You try applying different combinations to different portions of your body, and after some fiddling with how you extrapolate the thought-patterns, you manage to get it so that they all move separately, rather than just sort of summing together and having your whole Body tumble over itself. This has the interesting effect after you stop keeping the whole act going, though. The momentum that built up in each portion of your Body seems to bleed out into others. At first, it seems like the ones nearer to one another interfere with one another the most, but as time goes on, you realize that portions that were Formed, Turned, and Tuned in more similar ways were influencing each other more, and from further distances, than otherwise.

For a while, your Body is very chaotic, to the point where it was sort of painful, but eventually it settled down, until your whole Body was acting more-or-less in unison. From there, though, it developed strangely. Your portions started losing their momentum, and the smothering feeling got stronger. It got almost unbearable, until suddenly it stopped entirely. None of your portions had any momentum anymore, and before you arrange your thoughts on the matter, they were collapsing towards one another, fast.

For a brief moment, it’s excruciating. Like the first time you tried Forming into two portions, but magnified many, many times. It’s so bad that you can’t even really think for a while, your thoughts disrupted by the caustic sensation pervading you.

Then you’re through it. Mostly.

Your Body , as it stands, it’s a cluster maybe a few dozen unconnected portions of varying shapes and sizes, collected in the rough shape of a ball. The state of your Mind, is more confusing. You seem to have more than one space with thoughts, and they are separate from another right now, but you can tell you’re still thinking with all of them, they’re still all your Mind. Some more experimentation, and you find that, with what you Know how to Do right now, you can move your thoughts back force between the various partitions of your Mind. It’s hard describe how it makes you feel. The process becomes comfortable very quickly, and almost before you Know it, you’re thinking across all the various partitions at once.

Just to experiment, you try pull off what you did just a moment ago. In spite of your earlier experience, you can still feel all the various partitions of your mind, and you find that organizing your Body portions separately is much easier than before, almost more easy than coordinating them all. You let the portions go, but unlike last time, following each portion is no longer painful, or even especially challenging. As they come to a rest, you find stopping them from colliding them, maybe not easy, but certainly not as impossible as before, almost as though they’re all moving slower than before.

Eventually, thinking like this gets a little tiring, so you merge your portions and partitions back into one, rest. You think that what you’ve discovered is absolutely interesting enough to get a Name. Multiply.

A strange, cold feeling pervades your Home, and you can see that there’s been a change.

You try Multiplying again, not aiming for anything for anything in particular. You just keep going. You can feel the coldness growing, and the change in your Home becomes ever more blinding. Eventually, you feel as though you’re coming up on a precipice, and you retreat back from it, a little afraid.

You were overcome with a sense of finality, and you take pause. You can feel that if you keep going, there will permanent consequences.

█ Do
█ Form
█ Turn
█ Introspect
█ Tune
█ Multiply

OR

► Go

(OOC: The first binary choice! Do you stay, or do you Go? Groups of choices separated by an OR are mutually exclusive.)

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Fortune favors the bold. GO!!!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tune into any vibrations and other sensory patterns that might be in the area.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Let's get this out of the way and Consume. If there's nothing around then a part of ourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I would like to Introspect

• Locked thread