Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just came across this.

quote:

Poverty in Wisconsin hit its highest level in 30 years during the five-year period ending in 2014, even as the nation's economy was recovering from the Great Recession, according to a trend analysis of U.S. census data just released by University of Wisconsin-Madison researchers.

The number of Wisconsin residents living in poverty averaged 13% across that post-recession time frame — the highest since 1984, according to the analysis by UW-Madison's Applied Population Laboratory. In 1984, the poverty rate peaked at 15.5% as the nation was recovering from a double-dip recession.

The UW-Madison analysis dovetails with an unrelated study that identified pockets of the country faring worse as the economic recovery gains some traction, released Thursday by a national nonprofit research group in Washington, D.C.

That study, by the Economic Innovation Group, found the gap between the richest and poorest American communities widening, and ranked Milwaukee the seventh most distressed city in America, with 52% of the population considered economically distressed.

Poverty increased more dramatically across Wisconsin than in many other states, though 46 of the 50 states saw a significant increase in total population living in poverty between the five-year periods ending in 2009 and 2014, according to the UW-Madison analysis.

Obviously much more at link. Those cuts and stomping unions sure did the state good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Where's that .gif of Scott Walker looking like a goober from the first debate? 'Cos I really want to post that right here.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just came across this.

Obviously much more at link. Those cuts and stomping unions sure did the state good.

Well obviously the solution is more cuts and more union-busting!

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
All of these governors seem to follow the same recipe: handicap public universities, schools and Medicare, give huge tax breaks to sports stadiums and businesses as a pretext for creating huge budget deficits and financial "emergencies", under deliver on job growth and drive out firms despite a nominally "free market friendly" regime because of the disappearing middle class. I thought Walker was different than Brownback but they both bragged about their extremely mediocre unemployment numbers while their states circled the drain.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Where's that .gif of Scott Walker looking like a goober from the first debate? 'Cos I really want to post that right here.

Dmitri-9 posted:

All of these governors seem to follow the same recipe: handicap public universities, schools and Medicare, give huge tax breaks to sports stadiums and businesses as a pretext for creating huge budget deficits and financial "emergencies", under deliver on job growth and drive out firms despite a nominally "free market friendly" regime because of the disappearing middle class. I thought Walker was different than Brownback but they both bragged about their extremely mediocre unemployment numbers while their states circled the drain.

On the plus side things look good for Russ Feingold to get the Senate seat back.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Thank you.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NsRmCapbYw

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Christ. If I were his opponent for the Gubernatorial race I'd just flood commercial breaks with this clip, no text or speech.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Working as intended!

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Only a 30 year high? Was there really a time in the 80s where things were worse? Hard to believe.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah. The Regan era was pretty un-loving-believable.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah. The Regan era was pretty un-loving-believable.

It's really strange how idealized the Reagan presidency is. Huge amounts of poverty, but we had shiny new military toys, and a constant deficit to pay for it.

Sad to Wisconsin going down this path, hopefully they can pull out before their state becomes permanently like Kansas or Oklahoma.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Thanks Obama!

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Pervis posted:

It's really strange how idealized the Reagan presidency is. Huge amounts of poverty, but we had shiny new military toys, and a constant deficit to pay for it.

Sad to Wisconsin going down this path, hopefully they can pull out before their state becomes permanently like Kansas or Oklahoma.

I know many people from Wisc who have moved to Minneapolis and have no intention of ever moving back. Walker has destroyed that state.

Makes me think just how close we had it in 2010 with Dayton and Emmer...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

karthun posted:

I know many people from Wisc who have moved to Minneapolis and have no intention of ever moving back. Walker has destroyed that state.

It's crazy how common this is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Can we rename this the WI politics thread? I'd been thinking about starting one because of this:

http://fox6now.com/2015/11/07/state-senate-gop-votes-to-dissolve-government-accountability-board/

The vote was last year, but it's taking effect soon. Basically, the TL;DR is this:

Wisconsin has a board of non-partisan judges who oversee elections and rule on whether the state government's actions violate state law. They are essentially the oversight on the Department of Administration (e.g. the Governor's office and administration) and on state elections.

This board ruled against the Walker administration and republican legislators on several occasions, so the Rs made a bunch of noise about "unelected judges interfering in political business" and passed a law killing the GAB and replacing it with a board of partisans appointed by the governor. So now our government oversight is stacked with Walker apointees and they have free reign to basically do whatever.

The way the republicans in Wisconsin have slowly chipped away at all the nonpartisan controls on state government are downright insidious. We've gone from a progressive state with a history of trying to keep government nonpartisan into a state completely controlled by one party with all of our protections against a situation like that being quietly eroded in ways that are too nuanced for a typical voter to understand and get mad about.l

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I wonder how long it will take for substantial backlash against the likes of Walker in Wisconsin and Brownback in Kansas for people to look around at the assorted desolation that used to be their state and boot them out of office? Is it just that they talk a good game on boostraps and Republican social issues so they're still getting a free pass?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I went to a screening of some pro-labour documentary a few years back. I guess this would have been around early 2012 back when the events of 2011 were still fresh and before the recall elections had occurred. I can't remember the name of the documentary but it focused on union workers and their struggles with teh government.

My memory is likely a bit distorted by time but mostly what I recall was a long series of interviews with fat, middle aged white people telling sob stories about how you'd never ever heard of anything as bad as Scott Walker. Quite a few of them admitted to voting for him or having voted for other Republicans in the past, and the impression one got was that they were simply bewildered that suddenly they were under this "unprecedented" attack.

I couldn't help but feel contempt for these idiots who had lived to middle age in the United States without cluing in to what the Republicans represent, and for being so utterly clueless about the state of the USA today that they could somehow fail to understand that nothing about their situation was at all extraordinary, or even unusual. My tendency is to be very pro-labour, even though labour unions are in practice so often terrible, and to generally sympathize with people who get hosed over by their employers. But in this case my barely suppressed private feelings were that a lot of people in Wisconsin kinda had this coming to them.

I feel like decades from now when the history books for this period are being written the catastrophic defeat of the unions and the Democratic party in Wisconsin is going to be a prominent early example of of the contradictory political, economic and social trends that ultimately shoved guys like Trump and Sanders (but mostly Trump) into the limelight. It's just such an incredible showcase of how broken both parties are and how completely ineffectual the labour "movement" has become.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
America is pretty singular amongst Democratic industrialized nations in not having an actual labor party. The democrats pretend like they are but it hasn't ever been true and things like Taft-Hartley cement that fact.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

karthun posted:

Makes me think just how close we had it in 2010 with Dayton and Emmer...

Minneapolis is basically big Madison, which is to say a pretty nice place.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I have a feeling Wisconsin will be eternally stuck as a southern state for the next century. There are just too many people here who think Walker is a god among men. They see stuff like this and cheer that it's probably the minorities suffering so good job, Walker, woo. Everyone outside cities drive pickups and want the roads to never be repaired so liberal hippy bicyclers wont leave the cities. It's depressing.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 1, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Wisconsin has always been hella racist. It just took 9/11 for people to remember that. Segregation set the stage for the brain drain.

I'm more confused why Minn is so resilient. Michigan and Wisconsin fell like dominos man.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shbobdb posted:

Wisconsin has always been hella racist. It just took 9/11 for people to remember that. Segregation set the stage for the brain drain.

I'm more confused why Minn is so resilient. Michigan and Wisconsin fell like dominos man.

I mean, if you ignore Bachmann anyway.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Every state has crazies. But the Minn crazies haven't been able to dictate policy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

My supervisor who recently moved to Wisconsin said the change in racial attitudes of whites between Illinois and Wisconsin are very noticeable. He says Wisconsin is far more racist than Illinois.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

My supervisor who recently moved to Wisconsin said the change in racial attitudes of whites between Illinois and Wisconsin are very noticeable. He says Wisconsin is far more racist than Illinois.

Which part of Illinois? Southern Illinois is straight up neo-confederate.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

Which part of Illinois? Southern Illinois is straight up neo-confederate.

He grew up in North Chicago. Not North-Side of Chicago, but the city of North Chicago, right by Waukegan. I believe he eventually moved to a nicer area in Illinois in Lake County and is now living in Kenosha.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

He grew up in North Chicago. Not North-Side of Chicago, but the city of North Chicago, right by Waukegan. I believe he eventually moved to a nicer area in Illinois in Lake County and is now living in Kenosha.

Ah yeah, Kenosha is horrible.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Shbobdb posted:

A 0.4% difference in the governor race stopped Minnesota from becoming a shithole state like its neighbors.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 1, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Doesn't Minnesota, unlike most other states, has a strong rural white vote due to the Democratic-Farmer Labor Party?

Bip Roberts posted:

Ah yeah, Kenosha is horrible.

I was the RA at the university there. The amount of complaints I got about the Black Student Union was insane. One kid in particular insisted they kept having parties in the building all the time during winter break. The problem is that I was on campus during the entire winter break and knew that wasn't true. A fair share of the whites there were mostly middle and working class and it was easy to see their disdain toward the blacks. "They get all of the Financial Aid money because they are black while I get nothing! (proceeds to not apply for scholarships)!:smugbird:"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Oh, also this went down today:
http://www.dailycardinal.com/article/2016/02/walker-signs-bill-barring-county-executives-from-serving-in-legislature

quote:

Gov. Scott Walker signed 46 bills into law Monday, including one prohibiting legislators from concurrently holding office as county executives.

Written by Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, and Rep. Robin Vos, R-Rochester, Senate Bill 707 passed the Senate with a 19-13 vote. The measure is intended to prevent government officials from taking two salaries from taxpayers’ dollars, Fitzgerald said in a Feb. 2 Wisconsin State Journal article.

Winnebago County Executive Mark Harris is running for a state Senate seat vacated by state Sen. Rick Gudex, R-Fond du Lac, after he received a job in the private sector. This bill makes his campaigning efforts for the Senate seat more complicated.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal article, Fitzgerald said Harris’ candidacy initiated Fitzgerald’s and Vos’s introduction of the bill.

“We’re definitely concerned about the double-dipping and want to address it directly,” Fitzgerald said in the article.

Harris said the bill surprised him, especially considering how Republican Paul Farrow worked as a senator and a Waukesha County executive simultaneously.

He also pointed out that Independent Bob Ziegelbauer worked as a Manitowoc County executive while serving in the state Assembly for seven years until 2013.

Harris is up for re-election as county executive in April 2017.

Emphasis mine. After two times having conservative county execs join the legislature, they suddenly are really worried about "double dipping" when a liberal tries. Yet again, this is too nuanced for the public to get mad about, but effectively tightens the republican stranglehold on the legislator.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Shbobdb posted:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Doesn't Minnesota, unlike most other states, has a strong rural white vote due to the Democratic-Farmer Labor Party?

Yes, the key difference is the labor unions are still relatively strong in the northern part of the state (which has a lot of mining) and turn out to vote regularly. Right now it's actually causing some tension within the DFL since a lot of the environmentalist liberals who live in the southern part of the state want to block new copper/nickel mines that are currently under consideration but that would instantly that huge chunk of DFL voters to the GOP, potentially forever. Our DFL governor is stuck trying to pull off a balancing act to please both sides which he's actually doing a decent job of; his strategy seems to be to drag out the process as much as possible (without explicitly halting/rejecting the projects) and hope the depressed commodity prices cause the companies to pull out of their own volition like the last time someone tried to open a copper/nickel mine in the area in the 80s.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 1, 2016

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Bruce Rauner sees this and thinks it's good. Illinois is next.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

trickle down

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I've lived in Wisconsin for 36 years and in a suburb of Chicago for 4. They are both racist as gently caress. The difference is in Illinois they are more open about it. I worked with a black guy here in WI a couple years ago and you should have heard the stupid questions he was asked. Old people literally saying "I know another colored boy, his name is ________, maybe you know him?" (town of 60k people). It was loving shameful and made me cringe. He is a great guy and took it about as well as anyone possibly could, much better than I would.

I could go on for hours about how depressing it is to see us cutting services and education to give billionaires money to build stadiums, Walker's buddies getting interest-free WEDEC loans and defaulting on them, and the rapid deterioration of our tax base and road systems, but I won't. I'd rather spend that time figuring out the best way to get out of here for good.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Gorson posted:

I've lived in Wisconsin for 36 years and in a suburb of Chicago for 4. They are both racist as gently caress. The difference is in Illinois they are more open about it. I worked with a black guy here in WI a couple years ago and you should have heard the stupid questions he was asked. Old people literally saying "I know another colored boy, his name is ________, maybe you know him?" (town of 60k people). It was loving shameful and made me cringe. He is a great guy and took it about as well as anyone possibly could, much better than I would.

I could go on for hours about how depressing it is to see us cutting services and education to give billionaires money to build stadiums, Walker's buddies getting interest-free WEDEC loans and defaulting on them, and the rapid deterioration of our tax base and road systems, but I won't. I'd rather spend that time figuring out the best way to get out of here for good.

The Twin Cities are just across the river.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gorson posted:

There's always Duluth. Raid the riverlands for Bell's and cheese by day, drink your way safely in the hills by night.

Wisconsin's issue is that they have too many individuals who live outside of Madison, and not enough inefficient cheddaries dependent upon government programs employing the rural populations. Y'all need to focus on expanding your core economic strengths rather than trying to woo new sectors. Log more; run more rail; make more cheese; incentivize individuals to live in one city if they wish to escape poverty while milking that city for a taxbase to support export-orientated cheese production.

Your road systems should be poo poo, but for 3 - 4 major corredors to support travel between Chicago, the Twin Cities, and Duluth. The issue ain't that your roads are poo poo, its that you don't have a good enough loving alternative like a Chicago-to-Fargo high speed passenger rail line.

What value does spending money on infrastructure to '95% white rural rustbelt town which lost its manufacturing plant to NAFTA and now is an epicenter of heroin addiction #93' add for the rest of America?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 7, 2016

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2016/05/14/the-drunkest-and-driest-cities-in-america/

:toot:

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Makes sense to me. I can't see how anyone could vote for scott walker sober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

evil_cheese posted:

Makes sense to me. I can't see how anyone could vote for scott walker sober.

and if you're drunk, you think you're voting for johnnie walker

• Locked thread