Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

new office (coworking space) has a commercial espresso machine in the kitchen area, office staff are former baristas and they've been helping me learn to steam a milk :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

psiox posted:

are you sure this isn’t just a rebranded coffee shop that tricks customers into self-service

there isn't any charge to use it, the beans/milk/etc are included

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

finally scrubbed out the drip coffee pot properly today, now the inside is silver again instead of brown. the pot opening is only barely big enough to fit my hand into and has bonus pointy edges along the rim to make it extra obnoxious. this is probably the only real complaint with the machine after having it a year or two

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Mrs. Schadenboner got a 5 pound bag of ‘Bucks :france: Roast from The Church and had them rough grind it (she finds the sound of our coffee grinder unbearable) which is grossly excessive given the pore size on my Moka.

It’s real bad, y’all.

:smithicide:

new grinder time

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

afternoon french press

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lookin at dem grinders

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

learned today that its actually common for offices here to have a commercial espresso machine in employee food areas, and isn't just a special thing in the office we're currently in

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

which one did you get

i finally ordered a sette 270wi today, it had been on my mind for a few weeks

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sorta wish there was one of these that you could just run off a stove or maybe camping fuel canisters

MononcQc posted:

I just got this one as I needed a non-super expensive thing (I'm not yet a huge coffee drinker) that also didn't look like rear end if I wanted it to stay on the counter

could see that using a bell jar to collect the grounds for extreme quaintness, seems like itd be doable

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

had an evening coffee with the new grinder

pretty happy with it, looking forward to trying it out again in the morning

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

letting a smarmy londoner on youtube tell me how to do french press

lets see how it goes

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

letting a smarmy londoner on youtube tell me how to do french press

lets see how it goes

not bad

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tried this today with a new set of beans worked great

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i think i preferred the light roast i had before over this medium roast, tho its still tasty in its own right

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

had a litre of french press this morning, might have overdone it a bit

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just chew the juice straight from the beans

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

George posted:

most have the door crack right in front of you when you sit down

gotta keep the door crack aligned with your crack

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just drip the espresso straight into my mouth thanks

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

made coffee

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fika deez nutz

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

noticed the hopper was low on beans and checked the freezer and it's out, need more beans before tomorrow

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Uhhhhhh clr? Then lots and lots and lots of soap and water

after a few years living with incredibly hard water, can confirm that clr will clear it out

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

are we talkin actual cups or coffee machine marketing units

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

got a bag of beans from the roaster

gotta get there early before he starts the rounds at the shops

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

can't recall ever drinking coffee with a straw

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

had a coffee, put some ground beans into a mason jar for coffee #2 later

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bibendum posted:

Spent the weekend at my mother’s dropping off the kids

that's a really long poop, sounds like you need more coffee

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i've been just trying things from the fancy grocery store and i really like this medium roast, turns out they roast just a few blocks away so i can just get it directly

alternatively i also get beans from this roaster direct but you've gotta come by the store in the morning before the guy leaves to do cafe distribution

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

me, I'm the top of Boston common

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

wait, whats the "top" of boston common?

actually I would guess that the state house is the top of Boston common, both on a map as well as up a hill

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

think I've settled on a good roaster in wellington for getting beans by the kilo:

- ❌ immigrants son: good but no medium roast, like the place because it's basically the one guy running a small shop but it's often closed at random times for cafe delivery rounds
- ❌ l'affare: its ok but weirdly expensive for what it is
- ❌ countdown grocery store: tried a couple and they were very bad
- ✅ havana coffee works: have a bunch of options and the one we have now (ethiopian blend) is really good, also cheaper than laffare, also they have really good pies

of course there's a bunch of other roasters that I haven't tried visiting: flight, acme, husk, caribe, aro, rich, ripe, people's, mojo, supreme, ...

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

smart and final always sounded like their return policy to me

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if you already have a coffee zone then adding a good grinder doesn’t take up that much additional space

however I put the grinder away from the drip coffee because accidentally splashing water on a grinder isn’t great

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ya unless you specifically want espresso all the time there isn’t much reason to get an espresso machine, and maintaining them can be a pita, especially compared to most other methods which are really quite simple

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I’ve had the tall porlex mini for about 8 months and it’s been good, I don’t have any other hand grinders to compare it with tho

the only complaint I can think of is there’s a gap between the outer burr and the main body and I wonder how many grinds are stuck in there at this point

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

did a trial run with the new moka pot last night, beans were ground way too fine and it was struggling to brew anything so this morning I set the grinder as coarse as it’d go and got some good moka

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

looks like there’s acid in your coffee m8

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

prefect posted:

if you're going to put stuff in coffee, you should do it last, so you can watch the cool swirling

use the shade of tan to measure how much milk you’ve added so far

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Visual GNUdio posted:

drink more coffee

branded espresso mug is a bit much tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Visual GNUdio posted:

yes i should smash these cups that came with the machine and replace them with identical cups so i can drink coffee from cups other than the ones i have which will certainly make the coffee better

correct