Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Do I want this? I kind of want this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I couldn't help myself, I bought it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Bang a helmet on your souls characters and it's grand.
I assume you can do the same in this.

I do wanna try this in co-op but it has to be the PC version which I feel is gonna be out after DS3 comes out.

They said June earliest, because of their agreement with Sony.

I don't get the complaint about faces but it's prolly because I know Ska studio's stuff. That said, I feel like everything else about the game is absolutely gorgeous.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Feenix posted:

I'm guessing much like Souls, if I'm getting my poo poo pushed in at the Bandit area I should probably head to Village of Smiles instead. Yea?

Yes, smiles seems to be next.

Does anyone know where to get a drat rank 2 sword?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Lakbay posted:

You can transmute a weapon using a boss's ashes at an alchemist but I'm four bosses in and have yet to find a rank 2 or higher weapon of any type off the ground or an enemy.

Yes! I ended up doing this, thank you! :D! Wish I'd known earlier, lot of bosses were insanely tricky with my awful damage.

lets hang out posted:

Those 3 bars under your level look like they match the colors of your stats in the menu. It's like a simple indicator of your build for I dunno, videos and screenshots I guess.

I noticed this too it's cool.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The skill tree is super easy, go to whatever nodes give you the EQ you want.

maybe grab the extra potion slots early.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tensokuu posted:

The one thing I can't figure out is why I have a sword that my skill tree will let me equip (level 1 greatsword) but when I equip it, it has a line through it. I can still use it but I have a feeling I'm not getting the full damage out of it.

Also I really wish o knew the difference between the convents.

The swords allow you to use greatswords in one hand at a level lower, or two hands at that same level.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tensokuu posted:

Yeah looks like that was my issue with the sword. Still wondering the difference between say, the starting convent and The Three.

http://saltandsanctuary.wiki.fextralife.com/Creeds

Super WIP but there you go. Big difference is where you find the default shrines and the items you get. Devara gets holy buff for their quest item, etc and focuses on prayers

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Lakbay posted:

The level 3 marksman skill seems to be bugged and I cannot learn it even when I have the required amount of pearls.

Also wondering if upgrading is bugged since my weapons do similar damage no matter what

You need marksman 2? Not sure if this is a nobrainer thing or not sorry.

And can't say I've noticed that I'm doing the same damage, bare in mind it will display different values from 1h->2h and different enemies have different armor, and one upgrade isn't huge, etc.

May bare testing from level 1 to like max when I've got the resources for it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Bit late game glitch will be vague, spoils a brand

Got air dash, able to leap through some floor transitions, nothing gamebreaking yet

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Light armor/heavy/two handed are sort of interchangeable and most weapons have alternative dex/str paths if they're viable but it does encourage certain builds. The +1 stats are mostly irrelevent though, in the long run.

Also holy crap the 2D metroidvania elements begin to shine when you get all the brands.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Megasabin posted:

What do you mean the light/heavy/two handed are interchangable?

In terms of your armor to weapon you don't need to worry about matching to armor type, there's like, 3? strength nodes on the way to heavy armor, so it isn't really punishing if you're a dex build and a lot of the light armor skirts mostly willpower with a smidge or two of dex as well.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

lets hang out posted:

holy gently caress saltless are miserable to fight

Yes, disengaging allows you to get back close however, they stop throwing if you get far enough away, then you can hop in and wail on the,.

Notorious QIG posted:

Picked up this game and it owns, killed the Sodden Knight and currently down in in the Village of Smiles. I have to say that for whatever reason I think the art style is better when you're actually playing it than when you're watching videos of it.

I've said before, this game is friggin' beautiful.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Megasabin posted:

When you look at a weapon's stats does there are two numbers separated by a -->. Is the 1st number the base damage and the second number to the right of the arrow indicate what your damage is when affected by stat scaling?

Is this like souls where you should be greedy with what weapons you choose to level up cause of a paucity of resources? Or is it easier and you should just level up whatever.

Upgrades are purchasable and you'll findtons of them, maybe save the like, level 5/6/7 stuff for specifics? but other yeah go hog wild

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I just beat the Tree of Men boss, it was a miserable experience. No part of that fight was fun.

The Hunter can parry with his/her sword, yes.

Really? Was he tricky? I found his damage kind of pitiful. I enjoyed the gimmick/mobility of the fight.

Megasabin posted:

Can someone explain how you conquer other monasteries? I'm just past the second boss, so I've only seen 3 monasteries total. The first one you claim as your own, and the other two have been for different religions, but I see no option to change them to mine. Also what's the deal with those mini-monasteries you can find that just have a single white orb and no options other than to heal?

Additionally, what are the equip rates % for slowing down your movement and rolls?

Crystal Orbs, it's an item you could have started with, but you'll find tons throughout the game.

75% is the only one I know for sure and it's, imo, the ideal one to balance around. Keep in mind weapon swapping changes your weight, so sword+shield will have more weight than that same sword twohanded

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Beat it, game clock was 19:55:31. Incredibly fun! Starting up new game + now.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Megasabin posted:

So once you have a crystal orb you just use that a monastery?

:eyepop:

How many hours has this game even been out? Hasn't it basically been 24 hours?

Uh! I slept for six and took a few hours for my girlfriend so...that+20 hours? XD

And yes, set the crystal sphere(sorry misremembered it) in your slot and use it in a sanctuary

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 16, 2016

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I keep finding a bunch of really sick level 2+ heavy armor sets.

I'm spec'd in light armor :negative:

Light armor is no slouch, freeing you up to either go for a lot of the stats you want, or heavier weapons/shields.

but yeah, the heavy armor sets look great. Any game that lets me play dress up is fantastic.

edit: spoilers for ending 'name' and thing that happens

if you pick to rule you get a set of class 5 heavy armor in ng+

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 16, 2016

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Digirat posted:

How was this only made by 2 people

Probably the coolest part of this. I caught the stream last night when they hopped on to a skype call with the streamer, they seem like really cool people. I hope this game super takes off.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Spoilered for gameplay tips and a creed

As a note you can use a stained page to 'desecrate' an opposing creeds shrine, resulting in a crazy fight. Losing is apart of joining another creed.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 16, 2016

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

goferchan posted:

I'm afraid of doing this ^^

You should be!

Losing the fight means you are locked out of that sanctuary, as the fight will restart when you re-enter.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

lets hang out posted:

I tried this and nothing happened. :(

Maybe because I'm in The Iron Ones?

You were standing in front of the alter itself?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

He's extremely tedious and has a nasty tendency to kick you into a bottomless pit.

Yeah but almost all of his lethality is muted by just chilling on the side platforms, which you have to do to attack him anyway, plus you can duck through the middle when you need to, just wait for him to do an attack. I did die to him a bunch, but it's a short trek to his boss room too from the nearby sanctuary which helps a lot.

edit: yes i am an unrepentant fan who can see no wrong, haha.

Thievery posted:

I'm currently exploring Hagar's Cavern, and managed to upgrade my dagger to rank 3 with an amber idol I found. It's now doing dual poison and regular damage which is nice but a bit annoying since I guarantee everything will end up being immune to it at some point.

I seem to find loads of heavy armour but not much light stuff, best so far is rank 1 assassin gear.

When I fought the boss of the Red Cage dungeon, he bugged out in the second phase and stopped attacking me, instead just standing still in the center of the room. This was great, except the only weapon I could hit with was a spear and it did 8 damage a hit.

There's a shop in both the...first? dungeon and the Castle of Storms that sells T3? light armor. I may not be remembering properly. I really like Hagar's cavern, but it is an incredibly hard spike in difficulty.

Weapon Spoiler?
Got Trinity Greatsword, most t5 weapons seem to have invisible abilities and this ones is Fast Attack and apparently HP Leech. That+the fast attack charm (may not stack) it hits so quick, I love it.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 16, 2016

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Pretty much the only time you want to leave the side platforms is when they're simultaneously shooting fire though, which you have little to no control over. Even then, you still have to go through half of his healthbar on a really tedious, repetitive cycle of baiting an attack and jumping to hit his stupid head.

It's a terrible boss.

What was your build against this boss(/in general)? Like stat/weapon/armor wise?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Nickoten posted:

Wait, aren't Ska Studios the people who made Survival Crisis Z? I'm tempted to buy this game just for all the entertainment that game gave me. The style isn't my thing but they've made at least one really fun game I liked.

They are, a million years ago? It's why I'm a fan of them too :D

acumen posted:

Just wanna say that Pitchwoods loving sucks, that is all.

I think I died there more frequently than any other location.

King of Solomon posted:

A lot of Dex, light armor, and a +4 Taichi. My damage output was pretty respectable and I very rarely died from damage.

I went str/two handed sword/shield but I think the only difference between these builds, functionally, might be balance(the stat), which I'm not entirely sure what it does. I think Tree of Man will be throwing you around a lot regardless

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
You can spend gold on dust, but it swiftly becomes irrelevant.

For the witch, staying close to her at all times helps a ton, everything she can do can be evaded by a dodge roll to her opposite side, or by airdashing at the right moment.

Holy gently caress the final boss on new game+ is -insane-

Queen of Smiles
a shield helps a lot? the sword attack where she summons them around her is the best time to pour on damage, just play safe until she does that

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
^^^ looks about right

SALT

Tried a mage, managed to kill myself with elemental inbalance and gave a sack all my on hand salt?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

lets hang out posted:

everything about the nameless god including the forced damage run to him is bullshit

you are not wrong, bring the cheapo health potions.

Satorr posted:

God I wish I had even the crudest of maps for this game. I never felt like I needed one in any Souls game, but 2D games like this that recycle scenery are a lot more difficult to memorize.

http://saltandsanctuary.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

Helped me a ton but it is insanely vague sometimes.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

lets hang out posted:

I beat the game and it was good. Does anything change on ng+ aside from all the numbers being higher?

Numbers get bigger that's it

Also holy poo poo magic is loving awesome.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Any experience with prayers? I diverted some points on my two-handing paladin into getting class 1 prayers and the extra potion next to it but if they're lackluster I'll probably grey pearl them back out.

I dipped into them for level one with zero commitment, so I got no pay out. They probably won't be a great thing to focus on early, but looking over the list it looks like you can summon angelic ghost blades, magic death rays, get rid of wounds, orbits and stuff like that? Seems good as an aside but you'll prolly want a wis weapon.

They have the benefit of not needing an implement like magic which is a huge benefit.

edit: to clarify, no experience, but they seem neato as a secondary thing.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Kobogartimer posted:

The game crashes on me every once in a while when I try to rest at a sanctuary, and unlike Souls games, it never autosaves. Does anyone else have this happen?

Only when I died it sometimes crashed and I lost that run. Happened twice.

Tip for all bosses

Play a mage, naked, dodge roll everything, nuke like there is no tomorrow. People who complain about i-frames have not played naked.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Megasabin posted:

How do you convert something not peacefully?

Ruined Pages(I think?). It's the arcane item buff. It's a hard fight, so brace yourself. Consider failing once to the villagers inside.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Orv posted:

Aside from looking lovely, personally subjective as that is aside, there are a few places where enemy attacks blend into the muddy slop that is the environment. Mostly had problems with it in the Bandit area with those axe guys.

I find this weird, maybe because I played from a 'monitor' sized TV about two feet from my face? The game never had an issues like that.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The only hard jumping section is optional

speaking of which! just got the last achievement

edit: MAGE IS SO BROKEN AHHH

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 18, 2016

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

I couldn't make it past the village of smiles with mage. What makes the class broken?

Soon as you get lightning barrage you're set. Also you should be 100% naked for insane dodge rolls. This is my second character so knowing when to dodge certain attacks helps but yeah, the damage you put out without needing to engage up close is incredible. Then storm ring, charged ring (optional) conduit of mind and cyrstalmoat ring, have an energy phial or two and you can burn down pretty much any boss.

It's not faceroll easy, but it is tons of fun and killing one of the later bosses in about 5 seconds felt really good.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

I'll give it another whirl on my second playthrough. In frustration with early game mage troubles I went and rolled a paladin and it's been six hours yet. Wish I picked a better name than fartface though lol

A real winner, that fart face.

Also the blood magic spells look rad in a silly grimdark way.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I believe the cyclops is a required fight.

If you haven't fought the Jester, Alchemist, or Lady of Smiles those should all be accessible though.

Use poison on the cyclops then just chill out. Or go armorless.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
My personal opinion on poison build, and indeed anything sort of gimmicky is maybe steer clear on your first run. It's probably doable but it's gonna be a hugeass slog when you're still trying to acclimate yourself to the game

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

AzMiLion posted:

I was rolling pure mage up to the third lamb, then noticed i could turn one of my axes into a magic axe, since I already got the mage tree as far as i cared too i dipped into the berserker side of things. Now tearing poo poo up with lightning axe. This game has some cool builds you can do.

Mage is easymode if you dip into light armor and use a rank 1 or 2 that has been decently upgraded, run into a boss and just blow em the gently caress up, and when you inevitably run out of focus just tear into them with a lightning axe.

If you run out of focus just energy phial!

but gently caress, magic lightning axe sounds rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So the boss in the Castle

loving dragon rear end in a top hat. I got the blacksmith apron on for its fire defense, but his physical attacks just chew me up. I'm level 19; should I be leveling up a bit more before taking him on, or are there some good tricks?

Fire resistant shield inside will help but not with the physical attacks. Learning when to dodgeroll his stuff is key. I went naked and I kind of recommend it for the iframes on that dodge.

• Locked thread