Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
He Verstopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
We will all be disappointed.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Jos' media presence only makes Max look like a pissbaby

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

2 things:
-It's the first time he's screwed up, after a year of being of barely putting a foot wrong when everyone expected him to fail due to his age
-His dad is a known dickhead

Those 2 factors makes it much more fun to go after him, whereas had it been Sainz doing it, it wouldn't have gotten anywhere this much attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_kBlsz7QX4

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I might be extremely stupid, but with the seemingly chaotic security situation in Europe, do you guys think any European rounds would be affected in some way? I'm giving a large window for what "affected" could mean.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
It's been said before but the MotoGP/WSBK model is spot on. A nice feature is the option to buy single screen coverage at a lower price. F1 could more or less directly model a streaming service based on MotoGP and it would be amazing.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I'd argue that F1 is far less spec than it once was. Once upon a time, 90% of cars had DFV's, and before that customer teams ran Lotus, Brabham, or Cooper chassis. Check some of the car counts in the 60's, lots of repetition.

George Zimmer fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 25, 2016

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

promoter fees are too expensive, yet people keep building new race tracks
the audience is falling, yet people keep paying more and more for TV rights
budgets are too high, yet new teams are joining, with new sponsors and new partners

explain to me again why F1 is in trouble? because it's on a network that's inconvenient?

This sounds like a classic bubble and is definitely not indicative of long term health. No sport is invincible, look at how baseball has declined in the States. F1 isn't on its deathbed by any means but it's trending downward.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

it only sounds like a classic bubble because you want it to. that's what all of you are doing. you simply want to complain and feel sad about the sky deal so you've decided F1 is in decline and you will do whatever it takes to pretend that's the truth. it's not.

you cannot repeat "f1 is in decline" or "f1 is in a bubble" over and over again and make it happen. that's not how real life works.

If viewership and attendance are in decline, I don't see how you can say the sport isn't also in decline. Everything is predicated on those two factors. Nevermind the Sky deal, the numbers have been going down on the whole for a few years now. Virtually all motorsports have.

You also can't just say the sport is doing well because lots of money is being spent on it. That too is not how real life works.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

keevo posted:

I think we're all on different pages as to how F1 works and makes money so here's an infographic I found a while back that's pretty good and cool. http://raconteur.net/infographics/the-business-of-formula-1

Here's another one about who owns F1 and how much money they're making: http://raconteur.net/infographics/the-value-behind-f1

Regarding prize money:

Good articles both, but they have Lehman Brothers listed as owning 20%. There's either something I'm missing or this info is dated. Also worth noting that the bulk of F1's revenue is generated from attendance, TV deals, and sponsorship, all of which are contingent on people watching and buying tickets, the numbers of which have fallen in the past few years on a global scale.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

Have Formula-type cars ever been on Bathhurst?

Formula Fords go there as a support race for the 12 Hour.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

FTFY and Agreed :smith: I'd sure as hell rather go to new jersey than texas.

...have you been to New Jersey?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've been to both and I would only prefer Jersey because it's closer to here.

Fair enough. I'm right across the Delaware. South Jersey is depressing, North Jersey seems ok, and I'd definitely go to an F1 race there if it ever materializes, which it won't.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

please, continue to tell more pointless anecdotes while inexplicably being ignorant to the fact that collarbones cannot puncture your lungs

If you ripped out someone's collarbone and stabbed them you could :colbert:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I'd honestly support assigning grid positions via a lottery.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I still think Max is a pissbaby, but he's a very skilled pissbaby.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Pascal Wehrlein is cool and good.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Buttass throwing up a Hail Mary

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
If Stoffel doesn't have a ride next year, I'll cry

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Goetta posted:

Reddit says that Sauber is out of money and done after this race via some Dutch pit reporter. No idea if that is true or not.

One can only hope.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
F1 has been, dare I say it, better than IndyCar so far.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Norns posted:

What's the best series for GT3 racing currently?

Blancpain, IMO.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Race engines can get surprisingly finnicky at low RPM's. DFV's had a big warning in the owners manual that they couldn't run below like 2500rpm for any extended length of time due to tappet wear.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
That kinda reminds me of those bonkers time attack cars.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I'm not optimistic, but I'd love it if it came back.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's killed some good drivers, sure. What track has killed the most drivers, anyway? I know what team has. Lotus surely.

Yes, but I kinda feel like a lot of fatal Lotus wrecks weren't so much the fault of Lotus. Ronnie Peterson and Jim Clark's deaths could have happened to anyone in any car, in my opinion. Jochen Rindt is definitely an exception though.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Riso posted:

Jim Clark died in a formula two race.

Yes, but in a Lotus. I guess it technically wouldn't count.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Same Q I ask on all F1 message boards:

So guys, in your opinion, how much of it is the driver, and how much is the car?

These days? 70% car, 30% driver.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So was this one worth watching? I've decided that WEC and IndyCar are as much racing as I can watch today, but was gonna watch this on Monday or something if it was good.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

learnincurve posted:

the :\ part was because George Zimmer was one of the ones arguing that f1 was dying because viewing figures were down and just asked if he should watch a f1 race in the f1 thread with a straight face.

Hey, I still love the sport and always have, but I've been a fan long enough to know that some races can be skipped.

Still think F1 is going downward, sorry. This season has been good this far though and new regs are on the horizon, so maybe that'll change.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Three great races on the trot and they are not flukes, they are because the main pack is close enough to each other to be able to fight, hell there was even a manor in fourth at one point, and also because the three tyre thing has brought genuinely interesting strategy into play to the point that it was a 2-6 stop race in China. F1 is fine.

I will watch this race.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Mormon fundamentalist chic.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Dunno what Bernie's talking about, Nico seems to be doing just fine :smug:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Keke looks like a lovely Richard Branson

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
It was, but compared to 2014 it was a fluke. Fingers crossed.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

gret posted:

Is Vadim Kogan in the race?

*Kogay, and I'm pretty sure he's blacklisted. Why the gently caress didn't that Ferrari go down that escape road that the marshal was directing him to? Was he trying to make it to pit lane for a quick fix on his BLOWN ENGINE? Jesus.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I like the Red Bull canopy, please don't send death squads to my house.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I don't have any IRL friends who like F1. Is it boring and gay to go by yourself?

I've only gone to a race with other people, like, twice. Way better to go solo IMO. I get to stay as long as I want to indulge my autistic tendencies.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
My cat is actually named Senna, and yes she does occasionally run into walls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

also i think the FIA doesn't want to re-introduce ground effects because they know they are not capable of regulating it in any meaningful way

Outside of fan cars and double chassis, aren't ground effects pretty straightforward?

• Locked thread