Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
LAST VIDEO: Havoc - Levels 16-20

Let's go!

WHAT IS LEMMINGS?

Lemmings is an action puzzle game made by DMA Designs and released by Psygnosis in 1991 on the Commodore Amiga, Atari ST, and PC. Afterwards, it proceeded to be ported and adapted on virtual every console or system that exists out there, receiving over 20 ports on systems like the NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis and Playstation, to name a few. Even consoles like the maligned 3DO and CDI weren't left out.

You play the part of a presence who has to watch over the lemmings and ensure that they get from their trapdoor to the exit safely. Only problem is that Lemmings are a little dumb and stubborn; they'll keep walking in straight lines until they hit a wall, or plunge down a cliff too high from them to land safely, fall in water and drown, walk into a buzzsaw and so on and on. This is where you come in: you can tell Lemmings to perform tasks in order to help them navigate their environnement like miners, floaters, diggers, blockers and so on. By using your skills wisely, you can guide enough Lemmings to the exit in order to save enough of them to go to another level and do it all over again.

How do the game mix things up? Through the course of the game, you won't have the same amount of skills available and you'll always need to find new ways to use your abilities in ways that'll ensure your Lemmings' safety. It's also pretty addictive; you won't stop playing until you can figure out how to beat that one level that is blocking you. The game's got a lot of levels too, offering you 120 scenarios to solve, split into 4 difficulty levels. Fun eases you into the game, Tricky ramps up the difficulty while Taxing and Mayhem will tax your abilities and make you wonder how it is even possible to win. But there's always a way and this Let's Play will show how!

HOW IS THIS GONNA WORK?

With so many ports and versions of the game, it can be tricky to pick a version to showcase, moreso considering many of the versions are unique and had different levels made for them. I'll try and stick to the original vision of the game and play a version inspired by the original Amiga version. I'm playing Superlemmini, a game engine based on the Windows 95 port of the game which restored missing levels and made the overall game physics and logic match the Amiga version while adding a few bells and whistles to it, like a Fast-forward button, Action Replay, the ability to assign skills to lemmings that go in a certain direction and so on. It makes the game way more convenient and fun to play.

Each video will showcase between 5-10 levels, depending on how complicated they are. The early Fun levels are a breeze and won't need much explaining, but as the game progresses, things won't be as smooth and we'll have to devise more elaborated tricks and tactics! There's a reason why Lemmings is a game that almost every have played, but very few people finished it. We'll see this when we get there.

Additionally, I plan to also play through Lemmings' stand-alone expansion pack, called Oh No! More Lemmings. The game features new graphics, the same exact skillset and gameplay that Lemmings has, but 100 new levels that will tax even Lemmings veterans out there. This time, the game features 5 difficulty settings: Tame, Crazy, Wild, Wicked and Havoc.

Set on a journey of rescuing many rodents today! Let's do it!

VIDEO LIST - LEMMINGS

Level 1 to Level 10 - Let's learn how every skill work and start solving basic puzzles!
Level 11 to Level 20 - We know what we can do, so let's do it well! These basic scenarios will help you brush up your skills and get ready for the real challenges.
Level 21 to Level 30 - The last stretch of Fun offers some trickier adventures to deal with!

Level 1 to Level 10 - Welcome to Tricky! Things start off gently, but we start getting some levels that have a little more bite.
Level 11 to Level 20 - Welcome to the proper start of Lemmings. Things start to transition from giving you lots of skills in every level to forcing you to apply more creative solutions!
Level 21 to Level 30 - The end of Tricky gives you a slight idea as to how the rest of the game goes. Some easier stages combined with complete dastardly levels that will stump you!

Level 1 to Level 5 - Welcome to Taxing. Hope you've become proficient in the use of your abilities. The game expects you to be both accurate and timely here!
Level 6 to Level 12 - Taxing really loves to have a wildly fluctuating difficulty. Levels go from easy to hard to what the gently caress in the blink of an eye!
Level 13 to Level 20 - Things are more stable now. Levels are hard, but for the most part clever and have cool solutions! Don't miss Taxing's cross-promotion level too!
Level 21 to Level 25 - We're in the end stretch for Taxing, but things are getting really nasty! Come on over to my place and be the king of the castle! Or not.
Level 26 to Level 30 - Taxing is about to roar off to an exciting end but kinda peters out without much grace.

Level 1 to Level 5 - Mayhem is here. The first few levels are all over the place; they go from great execution to really obscure or quick puzzles.
Level 6 to Level 10 - Things are more consistent in these levels, it's mainly about figuring out the right sequence of moves to get to the end, sometimes with a harsher time limit.
Level 11 to Level 15 - "We all fall down" comes back one last time and Lemmings drown in solid floor. Now that's Mayhem!
Level 16 to Level 20 - Just a minute... we're in the second half of Mayhem and things are gonna get really ugly!
Level 21 to Level 25 - The calm before the storm. Is it me or are these levels easy? Also why is there a tiny red light at the center of my forehead?
Level 26 to Level 30 - BOOM! Headshot. The last five levels of Mayhem are here and they are merciless. Get to this epic end game screen!
Quick Look at Some Ports - Let's have a look at about 9 different ports and versions of Lemmings!

VIDEO LIST - OH NO! MORE LEMMINGS

Level 1 to Level 20 - Welcome to Oh no! More Lemmings! A challenging expansion pack for Lemmings. Not that you'll guess looking at the Tame difficulty.

Level 1 to Level 10 - Oh No! More Lemmings starts for real now. Crazy is as it suggests. Difficulty is all over the place, going from late Tricky to Mayhem in the blink of an eye!
Level 11 to Level 20 - The latter portion of Crazy attempts some wily tricks on you and gives LOTS OF LEVELS ALL SPELLED IN CAPS. HURRAH FOR BIG LETTERS.

Level 1 to Level 10 - Wild levels aren't too hard to figure out for the most part. However, pulling off the solution well enough to succeed is another story.
Level 11 to Level 20 - Wild levels certainly love to reuse level concepts a lot, didn't they? Also HURRAH FOR CAPS LOCK.

Level 1 to Level 10 - The first half of Wicked got something for everyone. However, it also has Superlemming and a lot of timed bomber antics!
Level 11 to Level 15 - It's time to start slowing this train down since levels get a bit longer. It's all fun and games until Monty Phyton gets involved somehow.
Level 16 to Level 20 - Grab your Five Alive can and make your way through 5 mostly nasty levels. A map of things to come for Havoc.

Level 1 to Level 5 - Havoc truly deserves its name. Lemmings stops pretending to care and will throw a gauntlet of hell at you. And this is only the beginning!
Level 6 to Level 10 - Things get a bit milder now, but some of these levels will definitely make you go AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHH!!!!!!
Level 11 to Level 15 - The table is set for the final stretch of Lemmings. You better be on top of your game when it comes to multitasking!
Levels 16 to Level 20 - Game over, dear Lemmings. You're dead and you don't know it yet. The end game levels are just plain sadistic and soulless. Enter at your own risk.

Psychedelic Eyeball fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't point out the PAWS button.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Oh man, I remember being utterly devastated as a kid when my hard drive with the save file of my game crashed. I was so close to beating it all. :smithicide:

What are you doing to me, Psych?

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Oh my god, Lemmings. I'm so happy that this is a thing that exists :h:

I can't say enough good things about them. These games are good games and they still hold up today, hearing the tunes strikes me right in the nostalgia bone, and even though they're emulated from a different platform they're very similar. I grew up with the Nintendo and Sega versions, and those had an interesting two-player mode that...would've been tons of fun if I could ever find anyone to play it with me :(

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I played Lemmings as a kid! quite a bit! Fun is fun and quite easy, but the game ramps up FAST after that. The legendary stopping wall in my house was only ever Tricky 19.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I only ever really played Oh No! More Lemmings, and I suck at it. I still have the DOS version around, pick it up again once every few years, and never get much past the first difficulty.
Frustratingly good game?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Massive nostalgia. gently caress, I still have it on a floppy somewhere around here.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think I played the SNES version of this game, it wasn't very good. Looking forward to more.

e: THERE'S A HOLE IN THE BUCKET, DEAR LIZA :byodood:

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 25, 2016

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I used to play the hell out of the SNES version. One of the only bonding moments I can remember with my dad, actually. We'd go against each other in the Versus mode, which was usually an adventure in who could get pitfalls out first and make the other person waste time building ramps.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, I never beat Lemmings, mostly because I was too young and dumb to really appreciate it much when it was out, though I watched my dad playing it a lot.

I wasted a lot of time with the sequel, though, I guess it appealed to me more because it had more options for blowing things up.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

nielsm posted:

I only ever really played Oh No! More Lemmings, and I suck at it. I still have the DOS version around, pick it up again once every few years, and never get much past the first difficulty.
Frustratingly good game?
ONM Lemmings's first difficulty level is super easy, and the rest of it is very much insane (I had Lemmings for Windows 95, which was a bundle of Lemmings and ONML). It definitely has that expansion-pack-sequel feel to it.

Great to see an informative LP of this game, it's something I've been hoping to see for a while :). On the subject of ONML, will you be carrying on past the original Lemmings? I should read the OP properly :v:.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 26, 2016

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lemmings is so good. I played the hell out of the SNES version, and thought it played pretty good. Multiplayer was always cool, as you'd be trying your hardest to get your paths to the goal, all the while trying to stop any sabotage lemmings that your opponent tries to mess you up with and sending your own. The good levels needed a little bit of cooperation, and most of them ended in violence outside the game.

I'm thinking the SNES sound chip sounded a bit better than the version we're seeing, but that might just be preference / nostalgia.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Wanamingo posted:

THERE'S A HOLE IN THE BUCKET, DEAR LIZA :byodood:

Oh god do I remember that video, this is definitely a fun game in versus mode cause of just how badly you can gently caress over your opponent: Something the Freelance Astronauts demonstrated quite well.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 26, 2016

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Awwww hell yes, so glad to see this game getting some love on this forum. I have a special pride for this game due to the fact I was born and raised in the city that it was made in, back when its original creators at DMA design was just starting out in Dundee, Scotland.

And it was only just recently, back in 2013, that a local art sculptor named Alyson Conway went and made statues of the Lemmings in order to celebrate their worldwide success.

It's not even fully finished, she actually said that if more funding came into the project enough, she would make more lemmings to be in a small parade along that little wall you see just above the grass. She planned originally on making a statue for each different job of lemming but for now only managed to get Climber and Builder in.

Godspeed those little buggers. :patriot: can't wait to see more of this LP, I hope this isn't too much clutter for the first page.

Wanamingo posted:

I think I played the SNES version of this game, it wasn't very good. Looking forward to more.

Ohhhhhhhhh god no :cripes: God I forgot all about that vid. gently caress.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 26, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Lemmings Amiga music has haunted me for now literal decades.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Been waiting for this ever since you said you were planning on it. I'm glad this is finally getting an LP.

Hartseeker
May 24, 2009

Strap one on, it's time to jam!
What a coincidence, I just started playing this because of Psyche's recent stream. Glad to see you're doing a full LP seeing as I suck at everything above Fun difficulty.
Also, there's something extremely charming about hearing classical and public domain music with this game's sound engine, even as a first time player.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This game is a classic and I kind of wish there were more games like it. I think I made it somewhere into Mayhem but it was like only 10-20 levels or less before it became too much so I'm looking forward to that.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If you play the original Amiga version you can also do 2 player mode! Maybe rope in some of the guys from the worms tournament.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Wow, this takes me back in all of the worst ways. Massive nostalgia pain going on right now. If it was the DOS version, I wouldn't know what to do with myself right now...

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 26, 2016

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I spent so much of my childhood playing this on the family Acorn Archimedes I got somewhere into the toughest difficulty I think, I remember the level that I got stuck on perfectly it was really simply in principle and there were versions of it on easier difficulties that I had no problem with but gently caress I could not pull it off.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I hope I'm not the only one who immediately went and watched the versus videos after seeing this thread. Looking forward to seeing some true mastery over lemmingry here.

e:

Wanamingo posted:

THERE'S A HOLE IN THE BUCKET, DEAR LIZA :byodood:

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Lemmings is so good. I played the hell out of the SNES version, and thought it played pretty good. Multiplayer was always cool, as you'd be trying your hardest to get your paths to the goal, all the while trying to stop any sabotage lemmings that your opponent tries to mess you up with and sending your own. The good levels needed a little bit of cooperation, and most of them ended in violence outside the game.

I'm thinking the SNES sound chip sounded a bit better than the version we're seeing, but that might just be preference / nostalgia.
SNES version also was my entry point in the series, along with the PC version. There are mild differences between the PC and Amiga versions (the SNES version mostly stays true to the Amiga version) which mainly involve the number of Lemmings in some levels and the amount you needed to rescue. I think a bunch of levels in Taxing/Mayhem were made easier on the PC but I'll be tackling the Amiga versions for the first time ever. There's one example where things will get quite different, as the PC version requires you to save 80% Lemmings, as opposed to 100% on Amiga.

The Amiga music is kind of a mixed bag ("How Much is that Doggie in the Window" sound really bad for instance), but it still beats the DOS Adlib version, where some songs are plain nasty. *ahem*

nielsm posted:

Frustratingly good game?
Oh No! More Lemmings' difficulty curve is just so strange. Tame levels are insultingly easy to the point where you could beat them with your eyes closed (they're way easier than anything in the Fun difficulty), but they don't prepare you at all for the other levels that'll come. It assumes that you played Lemmings and made it as far as Taxing because it gets maddeningly hard quick. You might be able to beat Crazy Level 1 ok, but anything past that is highly uncertain.

Scaramouche posted:

If you play the original Amiga version you can also do 2 player mode! Maybe rope in some of the guys from the worms tournament.
The SNES version also has a 2-player mode. I'll see about the possibility of setting this up, I'm just hoping Internet latency and all won't interfere too much.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

The SNES version also has a 2-player mode. I'll see about the possibility of setting this up, I'm just hoping Internet latency and all won't interfere too much.

Two-player Lemmings is a hilarious friendship destroying experience and I cannot recommend it enough. Not that I want to see your friendships collapse or anything.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

I'll throw in to the potential two-player games sometime, somehow. I've always saw those as extra levels to play alone with the added mechanic of not being able to control some lemmings.

It's fun.... :smith:

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
drat, Psych when the hell was the last time you made an LP?

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I played so much Lemmers. It's a good time. Until you realize the game hates you with every bit of its code.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
See, I always played Lemmings for relaxation and stress relief after being bullied at primary school. How to do it: up the spawn rate. Wait until every one of these bastards is in the playing field. Doubleclick the nuke button.
Enjoy fireworks.
Over and over again. Boom, hee hee.

Really nice and relaxing game, no ill effect on a child's fragile developing psyche whatsoever.

e: Admittedly, when my parents found out how I played the game, there was some concern, but that was the nineties with the whole Videogames Cause Violence scare. We know better now, right?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 26, 2016

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

See, I always played Lemmings for relaxation and stress relief after being bullied at primary school. How to do it: up the spawn rate. Wait until every one of these bastards is in the playing field. Doubleclick the nuke button.
That 'pppopopoppopopoopoppppopopopopopop' noise is just so satisfying somehow. It's like even when you lose, you win! :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

anilEhilated posted:

Enjoy fireworks.
Over and over again. Boom, hee hee.

Really nice and relaxing game, no ill effect on a child's fragile developing psyche whatsoever.

e: Admittedly, when my parents found out how I played the game, there was some concern, but that was the nineties with the whole Videogames Cause Violence scare. We know better now, right?

I'm fairly sure many adults did the same thing.

Though I imagine they and you at least tried to play through the stages a little, right?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think I got about halfway through Taxing, but will have to wait for the LP to get to a level I don't remember.
And let's face it, blowing cute little humanrodents up was more fun.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Testikles posted:

drat, Psych when the hell was the last time you made an LP?

He's been doing Binding of Isaac: rebirth for a while. But eventually that got a bit to tedious. It was fun while it lasted, but I can't blame him for stopping that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hartseeker posted:

What a coincidence, I just started playing this because of Psyche's recent stream. Glad to see you're doing a full LP seeing as I suck at everything above Fun difficulty.

I don't think anyone can really suck at puzzle games with no random elements now we have the internet. The only problem is when something needs pixel-perfect positioning.

Psych, I know you've only just got started, but in the long term would you plan to do Lemmings 2: The Tribes and ANWOL as well?

Aerobot
Apr 28, 2013
Dear god, this is like nostalgia being injected straight into my brain stem. My favorite part of the game was the awesome level designs; the crystal one in this video was one of my favorites. (80s kids shows made me obsessed with crystals, what can I say.)

I'm really excited to see how far you get. I was never really good at this game and I want to see the final levels!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Wanamingo posted:

What are you people even talking about?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Wanamingo posted:

If you don't know what they're talking about, watch these two videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMod7e7dwj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0GixHuiL7g

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I have so many great memories of this game -- just hearing the music again is a big nostalgia trip. It's astonishing to see how well it's aged, too. It's such a shame we'll never see a proper rerelease: a lot of the game lends itself really well to trying for achievements like completing levels without sacrificing a single lemming, or avoiding using a certain skill, or stuff like that.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Lemmings was one of the very first games I played, at about age 4-5. It would be well over a decade after that until I actually beat it. I've also beaten ONML and Lemmings 2 since then. I almost always try to save as many as possible, and I find it very satisfying when a convoluted scheme to rescue just a single extra lemming pays off.

People have been talking about versions with 2-player mode, so I'll note that Super Lemmini has all the graphics for 2-player elements, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't have actual multiplayer support.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Jedit posted:

I don't think anyone can really suck at puzzle games with no random elements now we have the internet. The only problem is when something needs pixel-perfect positioning.

Psych, I know you've only just got started, but in the long term would you plan to do Lemmings 2: The Tribes and ANWOL as well?

There is definitely a level that requires pixel-perfect positioning, its the one I couldn't do. Lemmings 2: The Tribes is amazing and I would also like to see the LP continue to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Jedit posted:

I've never been able to beat Lemmings 2 so I'm not too sure about this. I was able to fully assemble the medallion, but it was mostly made of bronze and silver, though. It's definitely an interesting game though.

ANWOL, I've never been able to make it run. Then again, I was trying to make the DOS version work, so maybe I'd have more luck on the Amiga? But then again, I've heard nothing but bad things about it. Even the developers themselves hated this game, apparently.

• Locked thread