Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

If he actually had something to say other than calling all superheroes faggots it might not be so dull to read. Alan Moore made a whole comic about superheroes being bad, it was pretty good.

Wanted: adolescent fantasies will not improve your life, and pushing extremes simply to push extremes will not make you happy.
Kick-rear end: Looking for excuses to hurt others because you hate yourself will not improve society, nor make you happy.
KIngsmen: class based societies are very harmful to those trapped within them, but rather than wallowing in your own misery, you ought to at bare minimum work to take care of the people around you
American Jesus: beware of any religion that claims it can solve all your problems with a wave of a hand, because actual acceptance and salvation can only be achieved through a personal relationship with God, not miracles and ostentatious clap-trap
Superior: Ditto

It fair enough not to like his writing, but to claim he's not trying to say something in his books is really giving them a shallow read...

edit: his work reminds me a lot of Graham Greene's Catholic novels (Brighton Rock, The Heart of the Matter, etc.), and Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange. You aren't supposed to enjoy Pinkie Brown or Alex being thugs and seriously harming others, and Scobie agonizing over his affair, and whether to commit suicide are supposed to cause pause in the reader and make them reflect on their own life and choices. That Millar himself is a deeply committed Catholic is surely no coincidence.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I think he used it as an example of a story that wasn't about how superheroes are faggots.

Which is kind of a weird example, because I'm pretty sure there's some parts where superheroes have gay sex or rape or something.

Wanted is a story about how superheroes and fantasies won't make you happy, especially those comics published after 1986, and how pretending to be those characters will gently caress you up a great deal. It is about how the industry, post-Watchmen and DKR, turned on the superheroes of the Christopher Reeve-era Superman and Adam West-Batman and went nasty. (Neither the Reeve nor West analogue are treated poorly by the narrative, they are treated poorly by the characters in the narrative. We the audience are supposed to experience shock and horror at what happens/has happened to them).

It was aimed as a very specific audience, and unfortunately failed to cause the self-reflection and doubt it was supposed to among that group.

It is also a nasty, gory, cynical book full of stuff I'd never show my mother.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

And if that hot dog had wings, how would it wear its pants when it was running on a treadmill trying to ascend into the air while trying to calculate if 0.999... is equal to 1?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

Yeah like Chicago's opinions on hot dogs should be respected

Don't be foolish now, Chicago has the best hot dogs

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Toto is amazing

Toto were a surprisingly hardcore band. In addition to their copious cocaine use (for which Bobby Kimball was arrested in 1981, when he tried to sell some to an undercover cop), one of their little idiosyncrasies was a game they would play on their tour bus. You started at the back of the bus, and did a shot. You then needed to finish an entire beer while running from the front of the bus and back, and do another. If you failed, you had to do it again. While the bus was driving. And you couldn't spill any.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh yeah? I unironically like The Fall, and think it gets a bad rap for what it is. Bring it!

I agree with you, and think you hold the correct opinion. Albarn set out to do his version of Daft Punk's Human After All, and did it quite well. I don't think the Gorillaz have ever put out a "bad" album, just ones that sound and feel quite different than others. (Daft Punk too, for that matter)

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

X-O posted:

I have no idea who Aaron Diaz is. Sounds like kind of an rear end in a top hat though. What company does he work for?

Patreon

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Madkal posted:

I would love nothing more than to discuss the inherent Jewishness (and Judaism) in Eisner's work (and I am being very sincere and not sarcastic here), and in some ways I would agree with you because a lot of his work, from stuff in Contract with God, Into the Storm, Name of the Game, deals more with being Jewish in a secular (particularly New York) world, and how it affects the characters in the choices they make with two opposite forces pulling them away from who they are. The one story, however, that stands out the most for a Judaism point of view is Contract with God which deals with a religious man's relationship with God that could also be a metaphorical claim of the Jewish people and God.
Eisner's stuff is really compelling and broad but at the same time personable, which is why it seems so ludicrous that some dipshit lumps him into some generic "mediocre white man" bullshit.

Completely agree. It's about as "mediocre white man" as something like Ulysses or The Grapes of Wrath are. Yeah, they're about un- and underemployed failures, but there's a bit more than just that going on in them...

It's not, like, John Updike or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

I believe it is because the schedule for making and releasing manga is so insane, color is only used on really special occasions or as a special bonus. Manga artists live on such a strict schedule already that the time it takes to make it all in color would delay the process. There are some that are all color but those have less of a frequency than the weekly/biweekly magazines

Yeah, the work schedule is nuts. Here's what Hiroshi Shiibashi's life looked like when he was working on Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan. (No idea why it says anonymous when his name is right there on top...)

Color is special, usually for debuts, anniversaries, and major events.

• Locked thread