Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Little Mac posted:

Hey chat thread. I do some podcasting with some friends and we were going to start a comic podcast, mostly just for fun. It's going to be called Event Fatigue and we'll basically just be talking about event books, one per episode, in no order and not confined to any one company. The trick is that we all have different backgrounds as far as books go: I've read pretty much everything ever, one host is mostly up on modern stuff at a Marvel Unlimited pace, and the other is a lapsed fan.

I want the show to be interesting and funny, giving necessary background both in-continuity and behind-the-scenes, with recaps and sort of a book club feel. We're not popular and that's not really our goal, but I also was hoping to get some interactivity in it. We're starting with the 1985 Secret Wars, which is the obvious starting point, and I figured I'd ask my favorite comic forum for any questions you'd wanted answered about the book - keeping in mind my hosts various backgrounds. So anything from our thoughts on a particular moment or why something happened, which can be researched and answered, or whatever.

Basically I guess I'm asking for kind of like a letters column type of thing? This might just get shitposts in response, but I like talking comics with my non-comicy friends and I like talking comics with you guys, so this is where the two shall meet. If you have anything, you can reply here or PM me or something. Here is chubby Wolverine being scared and angry simultaneously as an offering:

Ooh, sounds cool. I'm alwas looking for new comics podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lonos Oboe posted:

I am totally up for any comic podcast that is halfway decent. Looking forward to it.

If anyone can suggest any others I would be interested. I tried a few and they are either hard to jump into or just grating.
Which ones did you try? I only ask so I don't recommend stuf you've already tried out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lonos Oboe posted:

It was ages ago and I can't really recall. But if you suggest something and say it's worth getting into I am totally up for giving it another try. I'd appreciate the suggestions

OK then.

I can recommend:
Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men - X-actly what it says on the tin, plus they also occassionally get in big name comics creators to answer their questions. You get to learn about such luminaries as Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau, Harvey & Janet, and the fact there's a roster of clone X-Men tooling around in space since 1988 that are never mentioned again.
MultiversalQ - Two guys talk about the various parallel universes that show up in comics, as well as assembling a great big list of all of them ranked. They also take listener suggestions - not just of issues, but if you have a premise for a What If? and put it on the list.
House To Astonish - Comics news & reviews, along with the Official Handbook to The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, where they find some obscure character or team & discuss how to integrate them into current continuity.
Journey into Misery - British man explains to his girlfriend various complex comics characters and concepts. Yes, even Hawkman.

Actually a fair few comics podcasts (including some I already listed) did a crossover last year, so that might be a good jumping-on point for a few others I've not yet mentioned.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm a Dark Age character who only shows up after my debut to retain the trademark to my name, and is otherwise widely disliked by all involved for being brash and overopinionated.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Squizzle posted:

Next on the docket: If red kryptonite made Superman incapable of eating sandwiches, could he still eat hotdogs?
Judge John Hodgeman already ruled that hotdogs are not sandwiches, so obviously yes, he could.

Travis343 posted:

I will punch the multiverse until everyone is a good poster
I'm sorry but I don't think it's possible for me to be a good poster, no matter how hard I try.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like Gorillaz and I'll fight any man who says otherwise!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DrProsek posted:

You don't like Gorillaz. Fight me nerd :colbert:

(I too enjoy Gorillaz)
Oh yeah? I unironically like The Fall, and think it gets a bad rap for what it is. Bring it!

Madkal posted:

Let's join forces and become the Gorillaz Defenderz
This, too, is good. We can all get ready for the new album together! And discuss which band member maps over to various superheroes. (Noodle is Cassandra Cain/Blackbat, and I have the jpegs to prove it)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr Hootington posted:

Gorillaz is good and fun music and I'm excited for the eventual 5th album.

It's coming this year. :getin:

Rhyno posted:

Blur was cool.

Still are, if The Magic Whip is any indicator.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Holy cow, they're working on the album already!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I agree with you, and think you hold the correct opinion. Albarn set out to do his version of Daft Punk's Human After All, and did it quite well. I don't think the Gorillaz have ever put out a "bad" album, just ones that sound and feel quite different than others. (Daft Punk too, for that matter)
Yeah, people judge it like it's another full-fledged album when it was basically Albarn2D dicking around on his iPad. Also it was originally given away for free until the label made them monetise it (but wouldn't give them the money to finish the trilogy of albums Plastic Beach was supposed to be the first of - or even a finished video for Rhinestone Eyes :argh:).

Teenage Fansub posted:

I got very confused about this Wax talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_RELjHhD2s

e: also Gorillaz having an album called The Fall is dumb cause it made me think for a second one of you liked good music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp81sTev4cw
I'm sorry, it sounds like you're implying that Gorillaz is not good music. We of the Gorillaz Defendaz don't like that kind of talk around here. :toughguy:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Greekonomics posted:

Clearly you weren't looking hard enough!

When I hear 'Alan Moore' and 'The Fury', that is...not what I think of.

Lurdiak posted:

So I made a thread in CD and people who like the Star Wars prequels derailed it so much it had to be put out of its misery. I'm officially declaring that if you like the Star Wars prequels I'm putting you on my hit list.
You do realise by doing that, you've let the terroristsMrBibs win?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Little Mac posted:

Thanks! This was my first time editing audio in awhile (our other podcasts are edited by Cody, one of the other hosts) and there seems to be just no good Skype recorder for Windows. I'm going to try having us all record separately next time around. Also, yeah, that's kinda the feel we were going for since that's what the conversations that spawned the podcast were all about.

Our next episode is getting recorded this week and it should be a lot shorter since decompressed storytelling is a thing. We're doing Civil War, because why shouldn't a podcast about comic book events have a movie tie-in episode? Do you guys have anything that you think needs to be discussed or questions about Civil War you think would make for good podcast fodder?

Also, if I'm shilling too much about my own podcast it's only because I'm excited and can gladly stop anytime.

I think you guys can make some hay out of the fact they hyped up how they 'had stories for years' about an unmasked Spider-Man, when they already had plans to undo it and the marriage in one fell swoop - I would not be surprised if the unmasking was editorially mandated to get Peter in a place to make that stupid deal. :arghfist::spidey:

And man, you guys were a bit too harsh on the Wasp, imo. Then again, you were working from Secret Wars.

Also when are you guys getting on iTunes? I am lazy and dislike making effort to find podcasts.

Actually, on a related note for the thread in general/mods: do you guys think a Comics Podcast thread would go here or in RGD?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Little Mac posted:

I definitely wanna talk about the unmasking and how it was handled afterward (mostly badly). I know Quesada hated the marriage for awhile, but I don't think they had plans to undo it at the time of Civil War, did they?

I like the Wasp, but Secret Wars Wasp is baaaaaadddddd.

We're on Stitcher! iTunes should be approving us shortly. <3
Warning: This is going to be a whole chunk of :arghfist::spidey: about OMD, so if anyone reading is not interested in that sort of thing feel free to skip it.

I think Quesada stated that he came into EIC, he had a list of things he wanted to 'fix' - 1) The number of mutants, (resolved via House of M) 2) That all the heroes were apparently too friendly, (resolved via Civil War), and 3) Spider-Man's marriage. Besides, people at Marvel have hated the marriage for years - they tried getting rid of it back in the 90s by killing off MJ but backed down when the fans revolted. Look at it this way - after Matt Murdock, Peter Parker should be the poster boy for 'why letting your identity be discovered is a terrible idea'. His girlfriend? Murdered. His Aunt? Kidnapped and buried alive. His pregnant wife? Drugged into either early labour or outright miscarriage, with the baby never seen again. All of this, mind you, is the work of one guy who knows his identity. Even if he supports the idea of holding heroes accountable, he should have never publicly unmasked in a press conference - especially since nobody else had to do that.

Of course, Aunt May getting shot also gave them an excuse to put Peter back in the Black Costume in time for the release of Spider-Man 3, too - but I'm absolutely certain they only put Peter into that whole situation so they had an excuse to use a magic retcon to undo it and the marriage in one fell swoop in the name of getting things back to 'normal' - like how John Byrne planned to use the Shaper of Worlds to undo the marriage in his run before deciding that was a dumb idea - just like the writers decided using Mpehisto to wrap the Clone Saga was dumb. The whole OMD retcon was editorially railroaded - to the point the writers of Sensational Spider-Man had two concurrent stories where Peter spoke to Aunt May via Seance and God Himself, and they both told him he had to let go and move on. I mean part of it was probably because they were getting booted in favour of the 'Brain Trust' - but it seems like a great deal of the guys actually writing the books were not fans of the retcon. I would not at all surprised if the unmasking was set up with OMD already on the drawing board.

Also, it's worth noting that I don't think they ever established what exactly the registration act did - it wildly fluctuated on how strict it was depending on the whims of the writers - most of whom sided with Cap.

Also, don't forget to mention how they managed to turn Tony Stark into such an rear end in a top hat they decided to mindwipe him and revert him back to pre-Civil War characterisation rather than address all the shady stuff he did.

And don't forget Sally Floyd telling off Cap for standing up for Civil Liberties by reeling off a list of pop culture stuff (most of which is hilariously dated now - who even uses MySpace any more?) and calling Cap out of touch. And literally participating in a cover-up.

I don't think anybody came out of Civil War looking good.

Oh! Maybe mention Annihilation was going on in Cosmic Marvel at the same time, to put things in perspective.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

If Scott Allie didn't get fired I don't see how Eddie will.

Burn comics to the loving ground and start over with less assholes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So Dan Slott decided to weigh in on the Berganza issue. Ugh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

The other article said he was sent to classes, and hasn't done anything like that again though.

That's a good result. Rehabilitation is better than punishment.

How much of that is because he's apparently been specifically barred from working with women in the same office ever since, though?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

He was also banned from going to conventions so to have no contact with any women while working. He's clearly continuing problem.

Also isn't he not really that great an editor? You'd know better than I would, but I've heard the Superman books haven't been doing so great. If they were going to dump anyone for not performing up to business expectations, surely that guy should be on the way out? Especially since they're launching a new imprint that the guy leading the charge stated he was looking forward to working with Shelly Bond?

I mean they're literally killing off New 52 Supes in favour of Pre-Flashpoint version, if that's not an admission of failure I don't know what is. Then again, lots of people were perfectly happy with Kyle Rayner (& John Stewart, & Guy Gardner,) and Wally West and DC felt the need to bring back Hal & Barry (AKA the most boringest Green Lantern & Flash), so I guess it might just be standard operating procedure.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't know, it says in there that those were part of the program sanctions from WB, and he passed and had them removed.

Ultimately all I really know is what those 2 or 3 articles say, so maybe it wasn't enough. Maybe something should have been done earlier. Maybe he's still the same guy but smarter and concealing it. But it's not accurate to say nothing was done. Punishment isn't the only option.

I'm sure that's very comforting to his victims.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

It might be. I'd put Silk up there, though.

Actually I'd argue that Silk is the best character that's debuted this decade, from the big two at least.

I think Ms. Marvel gets the crown for that, actually. Silk also loses points for her...deeply unfortunate introduction in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man & Spider-Verse.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

I liked how each writer had a potential love interest in mind and some outright sabotaged the budding romance with the competing love interests. That's a real sense of coordination the likes of which I haven't seen since that issue of Peter Parker: Spider-man where Peter said you'd have to basically be retarded to not recognize him with blonde hair and a different haircut.

Or the two consecutive issues of Sensational Spider-Man where Peter talks to Aunt May via seance & God Himself, both telling him to accept her death and move on right before the arc that involved him selling his marriage to the devil to save her life.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

muscles like this? posted:

I thought it was incredibly stupid that Peter called in Tony Stark and Reed Richards and they both told him that somehow science couldn't fix the incurable OLD LADY BEING SHOT. There's nothing they could do about it.

That's because the entirety of OMD is basically set dressing for Joe Quesada telling the readers 'I'm getting rid of the marriage (and writing MJ out of the book), because I say so'. It was basically the endgame ever since he got in the big chair (since he'd accomplished the two other things he wanted - making mutants a minority again & making heroes stop trusting each other - with House of M & Civil War).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ghostlight posted:

You actually do need to check these things with the authorities on the issue.

To be fair, Aunt May wasn't actually dead at this point, just in a coma. Also the X-Men had a kid on the roster who once regrew someone's heart from scratch in seconds. But nope, only Satan can help, because Joe Quesada is apparently pathologically opposed to divorce (Jean was supposed to divorce Scott in New X-Men, but that got shot down).

Mr Hootington posted:

Quesada did lots of good for Marvel, but it makes me laugh every time I read his three major goals. The X-Men still haven't recovered and HoM and CW are two of the worst Marvel crossovers.
I mean, Quesada did more or less save modern Marvel, but he also serves as a illustration of the problem when a fan of a shared universe gets put in a position where he can dictate the direction of that universe - often they will cater to their own preferences for how things 'should' be. See also Geoff Johns at DC finally making his fan letter idea of Lex Luthor being Superboy's human 'parent' canon, as well as resurrected Hal & Barry. I mean, I'll be honest I (and a fair few other BSS posters) would probably also do that sort of thing if I was giving that kind of power. (Avengers Academy will get its own series again! The Spider-Marriage and Baby May will be back with a vengeance! All-New Wolverine will quit the X-Men again and become an Avenger! ALL SHALL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR!)

sporklift posted:

So it looks like DC is gonna reveal the TRUE identity of the Joker ... and it's not who you think!

So my guess is Bruce Wayne's secret, unknown brother.
It's Martha - it was Flashpoint Joker all along!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Did they ever explain how Batman is simultaneously chairpunching people and wondering around Gotham amnesiac?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Travis343 posted:

Comics that are published at the same time don't necessarily occur chronologically at the same time within their fictional universe.

Yeah, but what's the chain of events after Endgame? Is it chairpunching then amnesia, or amnesia then chairpunching?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Last Days of Superman story that's happening now definitively takes place after Darkseid War and Batman's had a costume change directly after getting his brains back that he didn't have before going all Tron in Justice League, but the end of this will probably contradict it having taken place in the past. Shhh. Don't worry about it. Shhh.

:psyboom:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

You shouldn't thank me. Its the one that has a character ask Captain America about Nascar, youtube, and myspace.

I enjoyed the Iron Man tie in, but some people did not like it.

Didn't it also have Ben Urich (& Sally Floyd, but Urich is the big deal here) willing go along with a coverup that Tony had a nanite-controlled Norman Osborn shoot the Atlantean Ambassador to provoke a war, I think to encourage people to rally behind the intiative? Kind of OOC. Did they ever address that plot point, or was it never spoken of again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gavok posted:

What If: Annihilation is the best Civil War comic.

The second half of What If: Civil War is also pretty drat good.

Die Laughing posted:

Better watch that language with Gavok and I here.

As for Civil War tie ins; Civil War: Runaways & Young Avengers was a lot fun despite, or maybe because, it is very loosely connected to Civil War proper. My only warning is that it will make you want to read Runaways, Young Avengers, and Marvel Boy. Which are all great in their own rights.

X-O posted:

And me. What ifs are the best.
:agreed:
I wish they'd revisit some of those earths some time. I know they brought back Rick Jones Hulk for Contest of Champions, at least.

Man, has that What If/Elseworlds thread fallen into archives already?

• Locked thread