Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This it the best goddamned time travel show since Continuum. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShakeZula posted:

I actually really loved Cole's reasoning at the end there with Cassie.

I gotta agree, his reasoning of compassion was wonderful. Aaron Stamford is crushing his scenes.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
This is a really drat good show. I can dig the new status quo.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dr. Faustus posted:

12 Monkeys is difficult because, like the movie, each time Cole is sent back to do something for a mission it fundamentally changes the plot landscape. They've been QUITE savvy at making these changes everything from major unexpected changes in the entire power balance to simple "reset button" and exposing the lengths major characters are willing to go to achieve concerns that change with the time-travel.

So... drat confusing but if you liked the movie you'll probably enjoy the ride.

Isn't this exactly the opposite of the main point of the movie?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love that they are able to bring actors back, having Tigh in it now is just cherry.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I gotta agree, his reasoning of compassion was wonderful. Aaron Stamford is crushing his scenes.

Kirk Acevedo is too, that loving scene with Deacon was amazing. Also great was Emily Hampshire. She can play bonkers crazy well, but when she was getting emotional it was very effective. That's what makes this show up there with Continuum IMO--the great acting. Clever plots, good writing, and skillful directing only go so far, but great acting can really push a show over the top.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat that episode was so good. I love how now they decided to outright majorly change the future and have an integrated reason for the main characters to still remember what it used to be.

And now we're going back to 1944!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

It really is a clever show, having a thousand different strings that flow out in every direction yet has the intelligence and craft in the writing to weave them back together seamlessly. There's nothing dumb you have to roll with as a watcher because you enjoy the ride, every little detail ties into another that reinforces the narrative as a whole. Every character has solid motivations and they're all worthy of sympathy, especially Ramse and Deacon, who in a less well written show would have been written off half a season ago.

Save the Striking Woman, she needs to get punched in the face and I'm totally looking forward to Doc Jones flooring her.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
drat this is such a good show. Nothing more to add given what has already been said about the characters and such. Well other than Striking Woman is indeed striking. Holy moly she's beautiful.

Also,

I found my purpose made me squeal. As did seeing Col. Tigh again!

Edit: Wtf! A.V. Club gave the 2nd episode a C.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 27, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rocksicles posted:

I love that they are able to bring actors back, having Tigh in it now is just cherry.

12 Monkeys S2 - You don't remember me? That's going to make bedtime awkward.

This show pretty much stomps a mudhole in the rear end of every time travel show.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

wormil posted:

12 Monkeys S2 - You don't remember me? That's going to make bedtime awkward.

This show pretty much stomps a mudhole in the rear end of every time travel show.

Indeed. I think comparing it to Continuum is kind of insulting - that show was kinda a mess.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Isn't this exactly the opposite of the main point of the movie?
It absolutely is. This is in no way a condemnation of the movie or the show. They're both among my favorites.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

TEAH SYAG posted:

Indeed. I think comparing it to Continuum is kind of insulting - that show was kinda a mess.

I will fight you

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

pahuyuth posted:

Edit: Wtf! A.V. Club gave the 2nd episode a C.

Yeah I saw that too and was like "what"? This was one of the best episodes yet.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I will fight you

Save something for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TEAH SYAG posted:

:getout:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TEAH SYAG posted:

Yeah

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's some mighty fine trolling you got here.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I never seen Continuum, will I find it lackluster after finishing 12 Monkeys?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
"Last week, on continuum"
*poo poo happens*
OH LOOK MASS EFFECT poo poo
yo CMR effects cost money now we cheap wear a jacket
OH poo poo TIME TRAVELING IRON ORANGE WITH MAGNETIC PIECES
CHRISTOPHER CROSS!!! CHRISTOPHER CROSS!!! CHRISTOPHER CROSS!!! (no that's roger cross idgit)
*csm guy talks from clouds*
loving A WARHAMMER SUITS
who is jesus dude?

TEAH SYAG fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 29, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Roger Cross owns, watch Continuum.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Continuum started okay but plotwise it was a mess. I liked it but 12 Monkeys is better in every way.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Continuum is well worth watching. Great characters, cool exploration of time travel, and it actually has a goddamn ending so you won't get blue balled.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wormil posted:

Continuum started okay but plotwise it was a mess. I liked it but 12 Monkeys is better in every way.

Ahem.

Roger Cross.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rhyno posted:

Ahem.

Roger Cross.

Do you really think there's any chance that Roger Cross won't show up if 12 Monkeys gets even one more season? Are you forgetting basic Canadian law?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

Do you really think there's any chance that Roger Cross won't show up if 12 Monkeys gets even one more season? Are you forgetting basic Canadian law?

I suspect it films at the same time as Dark Matter, so...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

It really seems like the law has been amended in recent years to add Ryan Robbins to it. He's really getting into everything now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShakeZula posted:

I think you're only allowed to be on one time travel show or you risk destabilizing the tv stream.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rhyno posted:

Ahem.

Roger Cross.

How does that dude get so many roles? He was in the Sliders pilot for gods sakes. I recognized him in something from waaay back and he looked very different when young. He now looks more like an older brother to young Roger than an older Roger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wormil posted:

How does that dude get so many roles? He was in the Sliders pilot for gods sakes. I recognized him in something from waaay back and he looked very different when young. He now looks more like an older brother to young Roger than an older Roger.

He's the most lovable dude in the tv industry. I doubt there is anyone who has a bad thing to say about the guy. He has so many friends in tv production they fall over themselves to get him on their shows so they can work with him, even if it's for a brief cameo.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Considering he's a kid from Jamaica, it's cool how he's recognised as one of THE Canadian sci-fi dudes.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Rhyno posted:

He's the most lovable dude in the tv industry. I doubt there is anyone who has a bad thing to say about the guy. He has so many friends in tv production they fall over themselves to get him on their shows so they can work with him, even if it's for a brief cameo.

Poor bastard got killed by Jack Bauer too.

Rest in peace, Curtis.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Off to a goddamn good start this week. Love Tigh/Eckhart rocking out while they work on the machine, followed by Cole and Deke beating the poo poo out of each other with Ramse cheering Cole one. Genuinely funny.
Too bad about the pretty blonde lady.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cassie why you gotta be so grouchy

Never mind you're redeemed with your well planned war story

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
After the nice things James said to her last week, she's getting on my loving nerves.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"The blonde with the pecker sob story"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh man, who else laughed really hard at that reveal?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So uh

We're really gettin weird this season huh

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

At least Alec Sadler failed in this timeline. :v:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
For 12 Monkeys, I would say this episode was one of the most wtf cliff-hangers yet. I have so many questions.

When asked, "James Cole, do you have any idea how important you are?"
My first thought was, "If I were James I would be extremely frightened of the how and why, considering from whom it was coming."

C'mon show, gimme a hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I guess things are cyclical in some way because this past "Primary" was also the crazy kid of a biochemist.

• Locked thread