Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm glad anno cut out the conceit and made eva 4.0 a straight-up kaiju film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PenguinKnight posted:

Iowa gets a showing, but no Minneapolis :negative:

it's hosed up

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mukulu posted:

It's all hosed up. I just want to watch this.

apparently oakdale now has a showing, it's a 30 minute drive but that's not tooooooooo bad right?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
mothra is my fav kaiju and she's adorable the way she is

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mothra is a he.

hmmmmmmmmm, no

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I assume you seen the Malcolm in the Middle HD with booms in the shot and Darkside Dewey and the like.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Haha yeah, I remember it took me a beat to notice what was wrong with the Dewey one. Real horror

i want to know what you are talking about and google isn't helping

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

you know the question im more wondering is why the little bro needed a double

i guess he was sick that day

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

godzilla: the teen years

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
wow, can't believe you spoiled everyone turning into tang in the new godzilla film

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barto posted:

It's not the same plot, but the basic structure is the same. It's not spoiling it at all to say it's basically Evangelion re-imagined as a Kaiju film.
Which is to say, not at all the same film or story, and yet...It's very interesting, but I'm pretty confident in saying people are liking it because it's a great film by the director of Evangelion---not because it's a great Godzilla film. Saying more would be spoilerish, so I won't.

But yes, everyone does turn into tang because they can't please their father. It's a real pity. ;)

i was kidding you.i knew you didn't mean the exact plot :p

interesting you bring up it being evangelion reimagined tho, the later episodes of eva are basically 30 minute kaiju films, especially once it becomes clear the evas are all living beings. and in EOE the fight between Asuka and the Mass-Produced Evas is shot like a kaiju fight, tho massively faster then fights in any of the Zilla fims

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Timby posted:

The last time I saw it, I was in the hospital and high as a kite on painkillers, but I seem to recall it being a halfway decent movie up until the point where they get to Madison Square Garden, when it becomes a 30-minute raptor chase sequence.

the 30 minute raptor chase was the only part i liked, i wish it had been all that and less playing peek-a-boo in the city with a 100 foot tall monster

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so like, does it literally play evangelion music are are y'all being hyberbolic, watching godzilla burn people to the tune of Cruel Angel's Thesis is totes something i want

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lol, did Anno use the same music guy at least or did he ask some poor guy to remix the song

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Saw this last night and I loving loved it. This was way better than Godzilla 2014, all the actor performances were great and much better compared to the 2014 one (minus Bryan Cranston obviously). I loved the themes and the message this movie had, as well as the heavy political satire. Its gonna be very difficult for Western audiences to relate since it focuses so much on the Japanese government and how they slowly respond to everything. All of the early reviews I feel like missed the entire point of this movie, but I've been seeing a lot more positive reviews now that it is out here. Want to try to watch it again sometime this weekend if I have a chance.

bueracracy- an entirely japanese phenomenon apparently

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

gfanikf posted:

No you shouldn't. What makes Shin Godzilla such a success is that it is so good when Evangelion was such a steaming pile of horse poo poo. Seriously it's a week of my life I will never get back and I greatly regret it. Just know Shin is great, Evangelion is not and you'll be fine.

hmmm, nah

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

A reference to the worst Godzilla movie in the best Godzilla movie?

you're gonna have to explain how that's a reference to the 1998 godzilla

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

david_a posted:

I assume it's just that the '98 movie has the horde of micro-zillas.

oh right, i forgot they had godzilla be a...

hmmm okay so the word probably isn't hermaphrodite but i don't know what else to call a self-reproducing animal

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's hard to apply a label because we can't really tell what's going on there. The flaked off parts they found left behind which they thought might grow into a new creature would be an example of fragmentation, the new creatures growing from Goji's tail would be ... budding, perhaps? We don't really know what kind of reproduction it was without knowing whether those new creatures developed from unfertilized eggs (parthenogenesis) or from sperm (sperm-dependent parthenogenesis) or just grew like dividing cells.
Note that I'm not in any way an expert

i meant the 98 zilla, tho i guess it applies to this one as well, different processes of reproduction aside (budding vs eggs)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Since this seems to also act as a general-use Godzilla thread and it's in the same cinematic universe as the Legendary series, HERE'S KONG!

https://twitter.com/kongskullisland/status/796763662522273792

how do you know its in the same universe as godzilla, and does he get electrical powers in the inevitable confrontation again

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah are actually going to be in Godzilla 2 in 2019!

yes!!!! my girl mothra coming at you

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dylazodelan posted:

My understanding was it's not a definite that Mothra et. al. show up in Godzilla 2, but that Legendary simply got the permission to use those characters. And gently caress them for not getting Gigan, because Gigan deserves better movies than he got.

no mothra no sale

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pretty funny that they got John C. Reily to wear a jacket with the words "For Your Health" on the back. Dunno how intentional that was.

unless you think the jacket just manifested on him with no input from anyone, i'm really not sure why you wouldn't think it was intentional

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

he's such a happy boy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
its gonna be a movie length episode of Godzilla:The Animated Series

so therefore it's gonna be great

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

go die in a fire

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
mothra is my beautiful kaiju girl, and im gonna marry her

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Toho released a featurette on Godzilla: Monster Planet. It doesn't show the Big G himself but there's a few glimpses of some gnarly kaiju and tons of sets and spacecraft WIP shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJEIAZNny7U

well, if the auto-translate is correct, tamiflu caused the end of the world and an apple pig was responsible

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the actual best godzilla film is Godzilla vs. Bambi

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Burkion posted:

It's the people that made Transformers Prime, so I'm not surprised it looks decent.

It does make me fear for there being too many unique kaiju though. But Godzilla actually looks pretty good in it, so who knows

i personally want my anime about kaiju taking over the world to have lots of kaiju

i also hope godzilla wins

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh, okay i get you now burkion. my hope is that all the budget goes to kaiju animations, designs, and fights and the human segments are all the last 2 episodes of evangelion

not even the slightest bit sarcastic, pseudo-intellectual musings on the nature of kaiju interspersed with high octane godzilla fighting would own

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Goddamn. So presumably 5 years before Shin Godzilla 2 is in theatres. 6 years before it gets a limited US run. 7 years until the Blu-ray is out.

At least we'll have at least two American Godzilla features in that time.

i'm not gonna get the 4th eva movie until roughly 2050 so you can stop complaining about such a short wait

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's people who haven't seen a Godzilla movie but have picked up on pop culture osmosis the idea of him messing up Tokyo and fighting monsters and that being it.

E: Actually, what percentage of 98 had Zilla? I think I remember him being in quite a bit of that movie and that might have skewed expectations.

depends on if you count the baby zillas in it or not, they account for like, a half hour of the movie

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tommy 2.0 posted:

omg why does Godzilla make me so unreasonably hype

So does Pac Rim. Or basically any giant monster/robot media. Why? What THING in my brain is it attacking?

i had a book when i was younger called Godzilla likes to Roar, who doesn't like a big radioactive dinosaur who appreciates the simple pleasures

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

My understanding is Shinji's hosed up because he's a teenager and you shouldn't have teenagers fighting wars.

shinji is hosed up in a billion different ways and this is one of them

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

Thankfully I was in Kindergarten when G98 came out, so it took me several years to realize it was bad.

same, and i still like the part with the baby godzillas (but thats cause that segment was more jurassic park 2.0 then godzilla)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
everytime i see 'zilla it astounds me anew how unlike every real godzilla he looks like, like he's a chinese ripoff character or something

which I guess technically he kind of is

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

You have surpassed even the Mothra. You have earned the title of 'Big Mothra'.

there should be a "single tear rolls down cheek" emote.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

I will lobby for a cinematic return of secret best monster Biollante until the heat death of the universe. It'll never happen because Toho will never forgive that film's failure to make any money, but I can dream.

God, Godzilla vs Biollante is so goddamn good. So very, very 80's.

Doesn't spacegodzilla have a line about biolante being the reason he exists? Bam, there's your sequel, hope the monkeys paw was worth it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, Akihito is leaving the throne next year, which means we can just use the name of whatever the new era is.

i like the implication that emperor millennial exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
whoa whoa whoa, megalon and gigan tag-teaming godzilla and jet jaguar ruled