Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Most of the CC2 fighters have wicked enough animation and camera work to be worth poking around with different characters, MHA isn't bad for that either but, Jump Force and OPM uh, less so..

Tenkaichi 2/3 are still legit fun though and 1 has gokuyeah so there's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/930107043552043058/1006551076708827196/unknown.png

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm trying to remember a mainstream fighting game character who has an ability, for some reason I remember it being Down and Heavy Kick, where they put their hand in the ground and a tentacle or something comes up at full screen, mid screen, or close depending on where you position it. I really only play Marvel, SF and MK fighting games so it's gotta be in there.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I don't remember his specific buttons but maybe Omega Red? I might be completely wrong

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sounds like MK, isn't there a plant lady that does that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

poe meater posted:

I don't remember his specific buttons but maybe Omega Red? I might be completely wrong

This might be it, will have to test.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Omega Red definitely has a command normal that matches that description

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Medullah posted:

I'm trying to remember a mainstream fighting game character who has an ability, for some reason I remember it being Down and Heavy Kick, where they put their hand in the ground and a tentacle or something comes up at full screen, mid screen, or close depending on where you position it. I really only play Marvel, SF and MK fighting games so it's gotta be in there.

Actually that’s Saya from Nitroplus Blasterz. you just outed yourself as a degenerate anime player RIP

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blockhouse posted:

yeah I am also pro-Arcsys FMA both conceptually and also to take what little of vic's legacy remains from him

would main the gently caress out of ling-greed

potemkin but it's just alphonse elric in a funny coat

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
fake NITROPLUS BLASTERZ: HEROINES INFINITE DUEL fan detected, saya only has two ranges on that move and an anti-air variant

also man i forgot just how meat based and gross saya's moves are

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TGLT posted:

also man i forgot just how meat based and gross saya's moves are

We are all meat, OP.

Don't be self loathing.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
a new meaning to "meaty"

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Side note: Baki is a fun series from what I have seen but MAN is it lacking in any female characters at all

It would be like reverse Skullgirls

To Baki's credit its basically unsanctioned mma, usually in bareknucle/street fight competitions its not mixed gender. If you mean side characters there is a few of them and they are relevant to the plot. I think there is a manga about MMA or streetfighting but its all women I forgot the name but it was pretty good, and that had mostly women vs women iirc.

I actually hate the versus/jump force idea for anime since all the characters have such different power levels and how combat works is wildly different. Like DBFZ is alot about dashing/flying around but if they made a game about One Piece it would be more about devil fruit usage some kind of resource management.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jump ultimate stars was good but it had to limit the dbz characters pretty severely, they were all just kind of hovering around and had some slow moves that teleported them to a target

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Take a note from that one punch man arena fighter imo: in it if you pick Saitama then the whole game is about just survive long enough. If you do Saitama arrives and you win

So exodia could basically be the same thing, where you can draw a card every 5 seconds and you have to draw 5 times. But after the fifth draw you win

Yugi + Exodia could also work like Naoto in p4u2.
Hit the enemy with X number of specials/supers to build up stacks of a special gimmick meter (which has a limit per combo for ToD protection), and then when you go into a combo with full stacks you get to do a unique instakill move.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's best we don't talk about women in Baki. Only like a tiny handful get names and most of them exist to get menaced and/or assaulted or simply stop existing like Kozue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GGSTwhispers/status/1557018670462803968?t=ih9-JnglBWRlggJAjyM63w&s=19

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ulio posted:

I actually hate the versus/jump force idea for anime since all the characters have such different power levels and how combat works is wildly different. Like DBFZ is alot about dashing/flying around but if they made a game about One Piece it would be more about devil fruit usage some kind of resource management.

Power level stuff can be handwaved with easy excuses in the story if the writers want; Injustice did it with Kryptonian pills and DBFZ did it with the sorta-player-insert, so that's why Green Arrow doesn't explode into meat chunks when Superman punches him and why Vegeta has to team up with Yamcha and Krillin in a fight. It's not a big deal if they care enough to tell you why.

As for the different combat systems between series, a good developer could translate that into character resource management. Like, Yusuke from YYH gets only some many Spirit Guns in a fight, that's easy to make into a mechanic; make it the best projectile in the game, but burn through them too quickly and Yusuke's handicapped for the rest of the fight. Yugi can be a Phoenix Wright-style character and has to draw cards from his deck to level up, etc. Jump Force did a terrible job with what they had, but there's a great game that can be made with the idea.

:hmmyes:

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
All this talk about a YGO fighting game reminds me of an idea I had for a fighting game character

They'd play like a RNG character like Faust, but they pull from an actual deck of cards instead of pure RNG. So optimizing the character would come from understanding the deck, almost like in an actual TCG.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

theGrooseofLegend posted:

All this talk about a YGO fighting game reminds me of an idea I had for a fighting game character

They'd play like a RNG character like Faust, but they pull from an actual deck of cards instead of pure RNG. So optimizing the character would come from understanding the deck, almost like in an actual TCG.

that's sort of how dorothy from arcana heart works but instead of it being random you select the card to build a hand and that leads to devastating mixups

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

that's sort of how dorothy from arcana heart works but instead of it being random you select the card to build a hand and that leads to devastating mixups

AH was such a fun series, it really needs a rollback update.

Royal Flush!!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

This is how Platinum The Trinity works in Blazblue.
She pulls out random items but it uses a deck system, so she's guaranteed to get exactly one of every item before the deck reshuffles and she can see a repeat.
They're not themed like cards though. Also she can always see which item is "next up" before pulling it.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's characters in MUGEN for Yu-Gi-Oh, where they have cards above their heads and summon monsters and traps. I don't know an awful lot about them but I remember this tweet after the passing of Kazuki Takahashi

https://twitter.com/nocontextmugen/status/1545090940045430785

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Touhou Scarlet Weather Rhapsody/Soku expansion are this, and it's the most actively played Touhou fighter. It's... a bit overwhelming for new player onboarding because of the deck editing system and the sheer number of cards, but it has what you're asking as an entire system mechanic. Basically your super meter is a hand of up to 5 cards. As you gain the equivalent of an EX bar, 1 card is drawn from your deck that you build before getting into a match. There's a button to cycle through which card from your hand is "selected" and then a button to use the selected card. Every character has their own deck and you can save multiple deck profiles per character. There's 3 types of cards:

System cards: These are general game functions like invincible reversal, alpha counter, FADC, etc
Skill cards: These change your actual moveset. Specials are all uniform motions in this game and every special on every single character can be replaced by at least 1 other special that shares a motion. For example, the main character's 236 by default is two slow homing projectiles. A skill card can turn this into either several fast non-homing projectiles that shoot in a fan shape, or large projectiles that split into small projectiles that cover a large portion of the screen. Using a skill card more than once levels up the skill, improving the damage, number of projectiles, framedata, etc.
Spell cards: Supers. Can vary in cost from 2 to 5 bars. It's what you think of as a super, every character has like a dozen different ones. All cards remove themselves from the deck on use, but since supers cost multiple bars, the other cards it "uses" get shuffled back into the deck.

E: short vid showing the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkxE-joHxWM

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 9, 2022

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Countblanc posted:

Unfortunately if their metric is "popular in the West", One Piece is probably pretty low on the list of options.

Maybe if youre American. One Piece has always been pretty huge in France for instance.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Shinji2015 posted:

As for the different combat systems between series, a good developer could translate that into character resource management. Like, Yusuke from YYH gets only some many Spirit Guns in a fight, that's easy to make into a mechanic; make it the best projectile in the game, but burn through them too quickly and Yusuke's handicapped for the rest of the fight. Yugi can be a Phoenix Wright-style character and has to draw cards from his deck to level up, etc. Jump Force did a terrible job with what they had, but there's a great game that can be made with the idea.

When I'm hearing this I'm actually thinking less of the power systems and mechanics of combat and more the actual direction, and how they often vary so much between series.

Just as a simple comparison, Dragon Ball is very much straight fighting, with special techniques and dramatic moments; that fits pretty easily in a fighting game. JoJo's I actually don't think does, though, despite the multiple attempts; every JoJo's fight is essentially a mystery of 'how do I get my weirdly specific power to beat your weirdly specific power'. While there's certainly a good handful of characters there that could work in fighting games without a lot of figuring (the JoJos themselves chief among them, although Giorno would be a weirdo), I think getting a character that actually 'feels like JoJo's' would require a character focused on very weird tricks and probably some environmental exploitation.

Funnily enough, I feel like the JoJo's villains probably fit better in a fighting game than a lot of the heroes would in terms of recreating the feel of the original manga. Lean into making them the weird gimmick characters and there's something going; less Star Platinum and Silver Chariot, more stuff like The World, White Album, and King Crimson.

The ideal JoJo adaptation is to get the Ace Attorney team to make a visual novel puzzle game though. The fact it has fights has led us down the completely wrong road for JoJo Games.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cleretic posted:

When I'm hearing this I'm actually thinking less of the power systems and mechanics of combat and more the actual direction, and how they often vary so much between series.

all of this is why One Piece is the correct answer. i'm not even the biggest fan of it as a shonen manga but it's full of characters who have incredibly visually and conceptually diverse fighting styles without either the beamspam and yelling homogeneity of something like Dragonball or the like scope of something like Jojo or HxH where a lot of characters' powers are too abstract or puzzle-like to transfer easily

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Hunter X Hunter (pronounced Hunter Fights Hunter)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Just as a simple comparison, Dragon Ball is very much straight fighting, with special techniques and dramatic moments; that fits pretty easily in a fighting game. JoJo's I actually don't think does, though, despite the multiple attempts; every JoJo's fight is essentially a mystery of 'how do I get my weirdly specific power to beat your weirdly specific power'. While there's certainly a good handful of characters there that could work in fighting games without a lot of figuring (the JoJos themselves chief among them, although Giorno would be a weirdo), I think getting a character that actually 'feels like JoJo's' would require a character focused on very weird tricks and probably some environmental exploitation.

Funnily enough, I feel like the JoJo's villains probably fit better in a fighting game than a lot of the heroes would in terms of recreating the feel of the original manga. Lean into making them the weird gimmick characters and there's something going; less Star Platinum and Silver Chariot, more stuff like The World, White Album, and King Crimson.

The ideal JoJo adaptation is to get the Ace Attorney team to make a visual novel puzzle game though. The fact it has fights has led us down the completely wrong road for JoJo Games.

capcom jojo captures the spirit of a part 3 jojo fight pretty much perfectly despite necessarily being much more straightforward than the actual fights in part 3, imo. i do agree that jojo takes a heavy swing into intricate mindgames after that and a modern jojo fighting game that tried to include a wide variety of folks from later parts wouldn't necessarily work

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

Touhou Scarlet Weather Rhapsody/Soku expansion are this, and it's the most actively played Touhou fighter. It's... a bit overwhelming for new player onboarding because of the deck editing system and the sheer number of cards, but it has what you're asking as an entire system mechanic. Basically your super meter is a hand of up to 5 cards. As you gain the equivalent of an EX bar, 1 card is drawn from your deck that you build before getting into a match. There's a button to cycle through which card from your hand is "selected" and then a button to use the selected card. Every character has their own deck and you can save multiple deck profiles per character. There's 3 types of cards:

System cards: These are general game functions like invincible reversal, alpha counter, FADC, etc
Skill cards: These change your actual moveset. Specials are all uniform motions in this game and every special on every single character can be replaced by at least 1 other special that shares a motion. For example, the main character's 236 by default is two slow homing projectiles. A skill card can turn this into either several fast non-homing projectiles that shoot in a fan shape, or large projectiles that split into small projectiles that cover a large portion of the screen. Using a skill card more than once levels up the skill, improving the damage, number of projectiles, framedata, etc.
Spell cards: Supers. Can vary in cost from 2 to 5 bars. It's what you think of as a super, every character has like a dozen different ones. All cards remove themselves from the deck on use, but since supers cost multiple bars, the other cards it "uses" get shuffled back into the deck.

E: short vid showing the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkxE-joHxWM

I am reading some wiki about this game and wow, there sure is a lot of systems in this one. There's some kind of cycling weather system that rotates in and out some really big effects? Each character has a double digit number of different supers they can pull out? Seems downright impenetrable, tbh.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 10, 2022

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Ulio posted:

I think there is a manga about MMA or streetfighting but its all women I forgot the name but it was pretty good, and that had mostly women vs women iirc.

Teppu.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Teppu is also a series that is told from the point of view of what would be the rival character in any other sports manga and her main drive is to beat up and humble the girl that would be the protagonist

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Roluth posted:

I am reading some wiki about this game and wow, there sure is a lot of systems in this one. There's some kind of cycling weather system that rotates in and out some really big effects? Each character has a double digit number of different supers they can pull out? Seems downright impenetrable, tbh.

To the extent I played it, I didn't know what any of the weathers actually did besides the ones that are really obvious (no blocking + everyone has superarmor, the one where people get pushed and pulled around horizontally). Also yeah everyone has an insane number of supers but of course in practice you're not gonna see most of them because everyone has more or less figured out which supers/skills are worth putting in your deck.

The guy who owned/owns Mizuumi mained IaMP and absolutely hated SWR and was really into IaMP, the first Touhou Fighter. IaMP had no deck building at all and didn't have the random weather crap, and honestly most importantly didn't have Border Escape. In both games your magic bar is used both as a guard bar and a magic bar to use moves with. In IaMP getting guard broken turns off the bar entirely for like 10 seconds, and you take massive chip. In SWR, you only break 1 orb at a time (you still get stunned for a second when getting guard broken of course), and during blockstun you can break an orb to cancel the blockstun into a dash, called Border Escape. Most people who were really into IaMP hated this system, but I think SWR survived because it's a much less punishing game to try to get into and was newer and had a lot more characters/moves. Also Soku apparently did improve SWR in a lot of ways.

Both games also have a pretty difficult onboarding process coming from other fighting games too, because they're meant to feel like bullet hell games. Rather than offense being focused around mixups, the Touhou fighters are focused around magic management. All projectiles cost magic bar to use and remove magic bar on block. You can dash through projectiles safely, so projectile attacks tend to flood the screen, but if you try to dash through everything the opponent can of course punish with melee attacks. This makes both neutral and pressure extremely different from other games. On defense you have to decide what you want to block and what you want to try to dash through to not get guard broken. On offense you're trying to figure out how to force your opponent to block projectiles in a way where they'll run out of magic before you do.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Teppu is also a series that is told from the point of view of what would be the rival character in any other sports manga and her main drive is to beat up and humble the girl that would be the protagonist

The would be protagonist is also a straight up weirdo and a sociopath

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Ash Crimson posted:

The would be protagonist is also a straight up weirdo and a sociopath

Like so many other shonen protagonists!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Teppu owns. Fantastic read.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What happens in Bridget's arcade mode? My socials are suddenly takes about takes but I don't actually see anyone saying what actually happens, just "the people who think it means X are wrong".

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Countblanc posted:

What happens in Bridget's arcade mode? My socials are suddenly takes about takes but I don't actually see anyone saying what actually happens, just "the people who think it means X are wrong".

Bridget's Arcade Mode is literally Bridget questioning her gender identity because it's been six years since she proved her village's superstition about twin boys was bullshit, except now she's feeling conflicted and unsure about who she is, and in at least one ending outright saying "I am a girl." The other ending using very loaded language that heavily implies the same thing.

Also Goldlewis Dickinson is a supportive ally who prompts this self-evaluation and supports it every step of the way, including that it is okay for Bridget to later have a different feeling or thought from now, and that it is okay for Bridget's current feelings and thoughts to be different from how they were in the past.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This Dickinson fellow offers good advice, not gonna lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Bridget's in game bio uses she/her and people who are talking about UH WELL ONLY ONE ENDING SHE SAYS SHE'S A GIRL are desperate morons grasping at straws.

but also you have to be dense as gently caress to not understand what they're talking about when Bridget says she's scared of change and asks Ky how he had the courage to come out about marrying a gear/being part gear.

edit: gear marriage. obergearfell v hodges

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 10, 2022