Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jack Trades posted:

Scalebound gameplay they showed looked like total garbage.

Yeah it never clicked with me, I assumed it was going to get better with time but uh...

Sorry Dragon-friend, we'll meet in another game.

Also I give Platinum Games a 50/50 for existing in 5 years...unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

WaltherFeng posted:

I don't know. The funny thing is that the only unique IP they've managed to pull off is Bayonetta. The rest are mechanically sound but lack in other areas imo

Exhibit A: Vanquish. In a world where everyone was chasing Call of Duty, they released mobility-focused bullet-hell shooter where staying in cover was a trap. Plays incredibly well, has a strong art design, but blankets it in an execrably stupid story, sloppy plot beats, and off-putting characters.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

lets hang out posted:

Who cares about the characters and story in vanquish lol

All of the people that didn't buy Vanquish, because it's almost unimpeachable on a pure gameplay level.

I lent Vanquish to 4 people with my highest recommendation. 3 of them didn't get through the first level because they found it dumb and confusing. It didn't matter to me, it didn't matter to the fourth guy, but it matters to a lot of people. And yeah anecdotes aren't data, but Vanquish flopped and I'm sure a good chunk of that is because it's absolutely not a narrative experience in any way that matters, and that is a GIGANTIC priority for people that buy single-player only games.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Those people have bad taste because even the first level in Vanquish owns.

I think you're forgetting it sits behind a very bland tutorial with very stupid dialogue and also a cutscene with, shall we say, Heavy Anime Elements (and an 18-wheeler delivering a heaping helping of Steven Blum ham)?

One of them gave up, btw, when after multi minutes of cutscenes she didn't care about, she ran Sam down a corridor for about 10 seconds - and into more cutscenes.

Now I personally think that Vanquish is extremely excellent and the first level does, in fact, own - but we're talking about why Platinum ended up with other people's IPs. And the answer is that their stories, plots, and characters are all off-putting to the average person, which is who they needed to appeal to for mainstream success. So much of video gaming is sold on flash and hype and those initial impressions to trailers - and Platinum just falls down in this area. I'm not saying that it's fair, just that it's reality.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

DatonKallandor posted:

It's almost perfect except for the part where it's an ultra-fast paced FPS on a gamepad. Had Vanquish come out on PC it'd have been legendary. On console it's that-one-platinum-game-nobody-remembers-for-long.

Titanfall 2 is an ultra-fast paced FPS and it's doing just fine on consoles, actually. In fact I would say a lot of Vanquish's DNA made it into Titanfall.

(I'm actually super glad we're discussing Vanquish, btw, it rules)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Anarchy Reigns is literally one of the funnest party games in the world. It's the new version of Kung Fu Chaos and honestly I'm still salty about it not finding an audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's lots of things with awesome premises that botch the execution. Vanquish's story was one of them. Lucky for us, the gameplay wasn't.