Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BillBear posted:

DoW II had "battles" the size of bar fights, which is especially lame considering Orkz and the Nids were in that game.

At the same time, squad-based RTS games where you lead a finite number of dudes and can't resource up more has always been wayyyyy more accessible and and funner (at least in terms of how long it takes to have fun) than outmining your opponents.

The imperials in Retribution had a good mix; the big commissar guys could spawn a shitload of soldiers to help out at the cost of energy, but you still need to protect said guy to keep swarming out all those dudes between fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zzulu posted:

But if it all boils down to a bunch of units standing still next to eachother until one falls over then that is just dull

It really is a shame because DoW2 was really good about making war look chaotic and organic (compared to other RTS's). Units would get thrown everywhere, some would flee or look for cover, terrain would get blasted, enemies would go flying with giant hammer swings, etc.

I don't know a lot about DOW3 except for the ork demonstration, and while I dig the idea of orks being about rushing to fight and snowballing off each victory with the scrap upgrades, the fighting looked like a HUGE step back from prior games.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Senjuro posted:

Good arguments, valid points BUT have you considered the following: the Tau are loving anime poo poo.

It's still canon that the illuminati have infiltrated the imperiums highest ranks, are cooperating with harlequin eldar to access a giant space library, and are recruiting the emperor's descendents to execute at the moment of his death to basically psychic-shotgun the warp, known as Sensei

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just to add a dissenting opinion: I like that they're trying to work DoW2 unit customization into a game more suitable for competitive multiplayer, and i dig the return of DoW1 mans painting.

While I think its weird, on paper the moba game flow makes sense from a 'fairness' perspective; it can really suck to have a game immediately decided after one bad fight.

One thing I'm interested in: before Sega bought Relic there was a lot of noise about making a more fully fleshed out Last Stand game. Has that mode shown up at all in DoW3 yet? I loved that doofy mode even if the DLC tau was disgustingly overpowered. I loved teleporting around as an ork knockin blubs around and revivin friendies

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 5, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

If you think the Tau was OP, I guess you haven't tried the Necron DLC.

My build is almost unkillable(takes all of the shooty mans in a wave to kill him, anything melee just makes him live longer) and if he does manage to die, self resurrects after 10 seconds. The only downside is he is so drat slow.

I didn't even know there was necron DLC. Was this a part of that neat DOW dlc wave post-sega purchase?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's going to be hilarious if all the negative PR turns out to be because their presentater is really bad at the game.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IMO retreat had good and bad aspects but with the addition of soft victory caps ala towers it would be unnecessary at best, and draw the match to a standstill at worst.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I mean, retreating units is still a thing in other RTS', its just less effective than in CoH-DoW2.

Like I said, the addition of tower bases probably made the retreat mechanic grueling, as they likely could retreat most of their army back to set fortified bases as your army fell to attrition.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My biggest gripe with DoW3 so far is the fact that it keeps reminding me that they were working on a moba Last Stand before THQ went under, and I keep wishing that was still their main project.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tirranek posted:

Surprised to hear this considering the seemingly large number of DoW fans determined to crap on it.

TBF a lot of times these hatestorms lose momentum if the game is actually good/the problems turn out to be nonexistent. It's actually a far more savvy move than trying for a blackout release (which confirms peoples suspicion)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's worth noting that the second to last THQ CEO was a huge dickhead who was likely responsible for the DLC situation w/ Relic games. I dont think game devs actually care about getting people to pay money they wont see for micro's.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Dark Millennium was the WoW ripoff, and it actually looked good in the Alpha footage. Then the company making it died.

Eternal Crusade is brought to you by the fine folks who made Doritos Blast 2, so it is understandably a horrible piece of poo poo.

If thats the free kinect wipeout clone, those were actually good games.

I think what really killed DM and EC is the fact that having an action based MMO with enormous playercounts requires developers with very intimate experience with multiplayer coding (and the resources to support such). Not really something to dump on green devs.

Hell, if anyone ITT played planetside 1 they can attest to how janky enormously ambitious multiplayer can be.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Shadow of Mordor but it's Orks, and you eventually unify a planet for a waaagh.

Adopt the stylings and gear of a clan, or don't bother.

A great game that will never be.

Richter mode in the form of Yarrick, be piss weak until your name enters ork culture, then become increasingly ridiculous as they get more and more terrified/amazed at you. at the end you either call in the imperium or take over the warboss you just killed's waagh

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The most important question: does this game have tinboys

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Around the same time some Russian developer creates the ultimate imperial guard misery simulator.

Pathologic in space?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Artum posted:

Functionally jump capable dreadnought, eep.

Not just jump; apparently allies can use the tunnel as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Battleborn also made the mistake of putting most of its advertising budget in an animated music video composed of Badass Poses

• Locked thread