Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

quote:

the [Japanese] army and navy have independent nuclear stockpiles

:japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

The Turtledove Postulate is also a problem with his work. This is a Postulate of my own devising, which holds that, the more original and interesting the novel is, the more likely you are to encounter truly cringe-inducing sex scenes. His more recent, hackier work has mostly done away with those.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

unwantedplatypus posted:

Uhm, actually its VERY important for the narrative that the reader be exposed in detail to the rape by proxy of a chinese women by WWII aliens :goonsay:

Then there's the infamous scene with RE Lee in Guns of the South...

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Ikasuhito posted:

Maybe it's just been too long since I read it, but I don't remember anything involving Lee that I would really consider infamous. What are you referring to?

he fucks his invalid, wheelchair-bound wife

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Krazyface posted:

I recall the best parts of Timeline 191 being the ones where he actually writes fiction (like a WWII in which four countries get the bomb within like a month of each other), instead of just writing history with the names and places changed.

I still like How Few Remain because he actually had to sort of invent a new war between the CSA and the USA in the 1880s, instead of just having them dropped into WWI and WWII like they were later on in the series.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm surprised that the Germans dont get any boosts to Mechanized research.

They do, but they're multi-purpose boosts and more likely to be consumed by tank or doctrine research.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

Stalin: *as Ukraine starves* We did it, Beria! We saved the Soviet Union!

Beria didn't really come to power until the worst of the mass famines were over. Stalin should be addressing Kaganovich here. :colbert:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Dramicus posted:

From what I understand, it isn't supposed to be a practical focus tree, it's just an extended "Game Over" screen.

I'm curious as to what the final focus, "The Answer", does

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

White Coke posted:

Will Japan be able to make submarine aircraft carriers that can drop bubonic plague bombs on L.A.?

Submarines carrying kamikazes to destroy the Panama canal locks :japan:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

"Comrade Al Capone" has been done before; I'm assuming that's where they got the inspiration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_the_USSA

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

wasn't the full mod release scheduled for today at one point? I'm guessing that's been postponed to the indefinite future

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

If the game is set to be historical and follows a mostly historical path up through Germany doing Danzig Or War, Poland will join the Allies.

and at some point in early 1939 Britain guarantees Poland IIRC

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

AoD and DH, of course, benefit from being essentially overhauls of HoI2 without any delusions of grandeur about massively expanding the scope or complexity of the game.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Antillie posted:

Russia is just as much of a monster as the US in end, they just take much longer to get to that point.

Arguably they're *more* of a monster -- I think a Russia with all of its build slots filled has way more factories than the US

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

OperaMouse posted:

Didn't just about all the uranium come out of Belgian Congo?

for the Manhattan project, yes

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

started a TNO game as Germany and got one look at the starting army, suffered a catastrophic loss of sanity points and alt-f4d

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 22, 2020

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

something I noticed from poking around with Japan and Germany in TNO is that the explicitly shambolic and dysfunctional Nazi economy makes a comfortable surplus while the prosperous and booming Japanese economy runs a sizable deficit. also not really sure how to fix that.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

has TNO fixed the blank text boxes for Japanese events yet

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Zane posted:

i was interested about that. there is a lot of historical evidence that speer was tacitly complicit.

Speer would have been hanged if we knew then what we know now. He turned in a shameless performance at Nuremberg to escape the noose.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

yes, finally! a government-mandated GF! :ussr:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

is Japan still missing half of its locs so a good chunk of their events are blank

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

We're never gonna get anything post 1972 tho and that fills me with great sadness.

sure we will, it'll just take until 2027

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

the thousand week reich guys came up with a system where you have to manually produce nuclear bombs. its hosed up imo

where's the button to get scientists for nuclear research

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Grunch Worldflower posted:

People are largely free to work on whatever they feel like which is why countries like Nepal and Bhutan have in depth focus trees despite Russia having a major overhaul "in the works" for approximately 374 years.

This situation, of course, bears no resemblance whatsoever to vanilla HoI4.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

how often does "respectfully disagree" outnumber all the other reacts on a dev diary post lmao

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

HoI3 is by far the one I've played the least of (aside from HoI1, I guess), but I remember being fond of, uh...the customizable victory conditions?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

TheMcD posted:

The new DLC update? I feel like the release date for that is still "this year" and nothing more.

some people were theorizing that it would have a thematically appropriate release date of June 22nd (Barbarossa, and also Bagration), but that was pretty clearly not in the cards given the complete nothingburgers from the last few DDs

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Beartaco posted:

I've never actually played a proper game of the USSR, entirely because of how boring that focus tree looks. How did Trotsky work in previous versions of HoI4, and how does he work now?

Trotsky's gimmick was making it easier to foment communist revolutions in other countries, which was originally done through the diplomacy screen. While fairly straightforward in single-player, in practice this system was completely broken and anti-fun in multiplayer and had to be reworked. Ever since La Resistance, boosting ideology and staging coups in other countries is done through the espionage mechanic. Unfortunately, actually trying to overthrow a foreign government via espionage is insanely fiddly and time consuming, and the USSR doesn't have that many spies to do it with. So Trotsky's gimmick is now practically useless.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Dear god, no thanks. Way too fiddly.

Agreed, the impression I'm getting from all this is "tedious" more than anything.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

really queer Christmas posted:

Meinhoff's supposed to be a vision of a communist revolution, but if no one knew what communism was. So they just do communism as imagined by hitler's germany

that's old/outdated/was-never-really-a-thing lore, FWIW

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I think my favorite American President in TNO is John Glenn.

His whole plan is to proliferate nuclear weapons to all of the OFN to facilitate a later global nuclear disarmament. Which means it either ends in a world without nukes or a world without sun.

he also completely obliterates the American economy to the point where you're stacking like half of your GDP in debt every year lmao

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Agean90 posted:

helicopter bois are insanely fast use them to encircle everything. Otherwise the same rules as base hoi4 apply

just as an FYI, the helicopter boyos are being taken out as part of the massive overhaul patch that definitely hasn't turned into a mission creep boondoggle and will definitely be released soon (TM)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Am I wrong or is the loot mechanic in Russia TNO just poo poo? Border wars suck and just ruin your oob, and none of the loot decisions seem worth the bother.

disagree. the OOB disruption isn't that bad considering the small number of units you're working with at game start, along with the fact that you should have a pretty good grasp of when the actual big boy wars start after playing a game or two. and the actual benefits are pretty strong: stability bumps every time you take one of the decisions, along with a head start on boosting societal development, which is the most reliable way of turning your country into less of a dysfunctional mess (especially for the schools, agriculture, and industrial equipment categories). and that's in addition to the stability, political power, and other benefits you get from winning the raids.

the actual border wars mechanic *is* a bit crap, yeah, but that goes for the base game too...

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 7, 2021

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Hellioning posted:

TNO is not a conquest mod, no.

Well, except for one particular path...

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

It was definitely possible in older versions of the game but apparently you can't really do it in the current build.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lmfao I didn't know this could happen in TNO
as a jew, idk if I should be sad about the apartheid state or root for them against the nazis

lol Irgun is a fairly moderate outcome. sometimes you get avraham stern and Lehi

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Farecoal posted:

The what now?

in TNO, Iraq explodes into like eight different mini-countries for a Civil War at some point in the early 70s. Saddam Hussein leads a faction of Authoritarian Democrats - not liberals, really, but a far cry from Baathism.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

DrPop posted:

Did a very satisfying TNO run as Komi to Ultravisionary Zhdanov and then Kardashev. Desperately want some post-71 official content for Russia.

were you able to get kardashev without cheating? I had to disable decision checks to take all the power struggle events at once, otherwise I couldn't do any better than 50-50, and ties go to the other guy

also for whatever reason my government type never switched off of revolutionary front :v:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

TNO devs have announced they'll be removing the Atlantropa dam in a future update...greatest betrayal....

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Magadan can still be kinda tough because the Far East is a bit gimped compared to the other regions. Standard vanilla playthrough Russian warlords would be, like, Vyatka or Zhukov's WRRF or maybe Tyumen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Switzerland getting a focus tree while all of Scandinavia and South America are still stuck with the generic one is extremely funny