Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The funny thing about everyone freaking about crime in Chicago, is that its violent crime rate actually isn't particularly high for a US city. It's crime rate isn't low obviously, and it has some very bad neighborhoods (and a poo poo ton of nice ones), but a lot of cities have it worse. Chicago does have the most murders and shootings in terms of raw numbers though, due to the fact that NYC and LA have massively reduced their crime rates compared to past decades (so has chicago for the record, just not as much).

LegoPirateNinja posted:

i got yelled at by my san fran friends when i tried to cross an empty street

im from philly we cross when it makes sense, and sometimes when it doesnt

lol

SF residents jaywalk all the time, your friends sound like a bunch of prissy bitch weenies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

other places are worse than karachi/johannesburg/juarez/chicago, stop freaking out about terrorists/robberies/kidnappings/murders you sissies :smug:

Johannesburg and Juarez are way worse off than Chicago.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

oh cool, the same exact same excuse everyone who lives in a third-world shithole gives

I'm not saying it's fine, i'm saying that overall it's not as bad as a lot of people claim. But it still gets way more attention for crime that other US cities that have much worse crime rates.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Snatch Duster posted:

He isnt. This happened to me when I was in Chicago on business.

I've seen video of the cops doing it to tourists in SF too. It went something like: "hey you guys probably shouldn't hang out on this block at night, you might get robbed"

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but like most of the city is black.

Chicago is 32% black.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Give them opportunities to make better lives for themselves and their families?

preposterous, everyone knows that if you give the poors opportunities they'll just buy 50 big-screen TVs and keep shooting each other over drugs and petty arguments

Besides, 99% of "poor" people already have refrigerators. If that isn't living the good life, I don't know what is :smug:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

TsarZiedonis posted:

I'm going to Chicago next month with my girlfriend and I'm looking for an Airbnb to rent for a few days before her corporate hotel room is open.

I know nothing about Chicago. Where can I stay that's cool and also which parts of the city are the horrible death zones?

Parts of the south and west side are scary areas, but most of the rest of the city is perfectly fine. And even then, 90% of the people getting shot in Chicago, or any US city, are people who are involved in drugs, gangs, and other sketchy poo poo. You could move into the worst ghetto in pretty much any city, and if you're a white yuppie fart-tester who minds your own business, you're probably at worst gonna get some mean looks/comments, or get your car broken into, or maybe get robbed. Half the time people will think you're a cop or there to buy drugs.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Saurus posted:

One time I was on a bus that was entirely packed with black people except for 2 seats on either side of myself. They were the only free seats on the bus and no one wanted to get near me

Normal people avoid weird creepy goons?

:monocle:

The least you could have done is offered to share your cheetos and/or sonic the hedgehog coloring book, then someone would sit next you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

Chicago's actually gotten worse than most of Brazil

lol

The worst 50 Brazilian cities by murder total and rate per 100,000 residents, as of 2015:

Fortaleza - 2,422 - 60.77
Natal - 921 - 60.66
Salvador - 1,996 - 60.63
João Pessoa - 643 - 58.4
Maceio - 564 - 55.63
São Luis - 802 - 53.05
Cuiabá - 412 - 48.52
Manaus - 985 - 47.87
Belém - 1,101 - 45.83
Feira de Santana - 281 - 45.5
Goiânia - 847 - 43.38
Teresina - 360 - 42.64
Vitoria - 802 - 41.99
Vitoria da Conquista - 132 - 38.46
Recife - 1,492 - 38.12
Aracaju - 349 - 37.70
Campos dos Goytacazes 175 - 36.16
Campina Grande - 146 - 36.04
Porto Alegre - 1,479 - 34.73
Curitiba - 1,121 - 34.71
Macapá - 138 - 30.25

Rio Doesn't make the top 50 list, but it's also worse than Chicago, at 1202 murders and a rate of 18.6 per 100k residents in 2015 (a record low, which has spike upwards 40% this year). In 2015, Chicago had 468 murders and a rate of 17.2. Chicago isn't even close to being among the worst cities for murder rate in the US, let alone in Brazil.

• Locked thread