Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

At the start: "Oh, another musician memoir. :smith:"

At the end: "That was insane. :D"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nemico posted:

Everyone that liked the Da Vinco Code ep that's not already listening to Sunday School Dropouts should really give it a try. It's really good!

I hadn't heard about the show before the episode and started listening because of it. That's how you cross promote podcasts!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

I just listened to the A Spell For Chameleon episode and while I'd vaguely heard that Piers Anthony was bad, holy loving poo poo I had no idea he was THIS bad

The episode starts with a discussion about magical plant girls who are powered by piss, and then it gets worse

They haven't even scratched the surface of Piers Anthony:

Really, you could do a whole terrible book podcast just about Piers Anthony.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grondoth posted:

I bet those books are bad, but I'm not gonna listen. I grew up reading those things.

I overdosed on those books when I was young and they taught me to recognize completely poo poo books and that I shouldn't spend so much time reading poo poo.

The song in the episode is amazing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh my god, "exquisitely wrought novel" is actually the publisher's own promotional text.

Also the words "Kevin J. Anderson" are the biggest threats in that book's description.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I almost had an entry for that, but I couldn't decide between the premises I had, and then a bunch of stuff came up that kept me from just sitting down and writing. Good to know that this is only the "first" contest and that I'll likely have another chance next year.

I got tied up with a bunch of stuff and sending them something slipped my mind. I probably could have just used an excerpt from my own terrible Nanowrimo novel from about ten years ago in which I discovered that Nanowrimo is a terrible, terrible way to write.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Johnny Longtorso posted:

I didn't really understand why they chose to do The Girl on the Train. Seemed to me like it's a pretty unremarkable thriller, there's nothing really ridiculous (or even noteworthy) about it.

I suspect they just wanted something light to read and picked something currently popular thinking they might hit another Dan Brown and instead got something not really worth hating. Even at the end, they said that book was perfectly okay.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Djeser posted:

I prefer Semaphor Calibur V for its eight-directional signalling system

I was legitimately playing a semaphore game Nintendo created last night:

Looking forward to the new game for the Switch!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I will chime in and say I prefer when it's not just pot shots at airport fiction. I like the weird poo poo I've never heard of.

I like both. The mass market hits that are terrible balance nicely with the horrifying trainwrecks.

Also, they read my letter! :dance:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

Holy poo poo these two sentences just combined to make me feel old as balls.

The key is to have absolutely no context for who those people are so you can blissfully ignore it. (I know Rush is a band from having their book on the show... :v: )

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Worst part of the live episode is that they will not do Tyra Banks's Modelland as a future episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's a Read It and Weep episode on the book that really dives into how special that book is, though that podcast really isn't that great (and has been getting worse lately)...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

It gets over used on the internet but Dilbert's Dad is as close to the personification of the Dunning-Kruger effect as you can get.

Dilbert was fine back in its first five years or so when it was directly parodying toxic work cultures. Then Adams stopped working a day job, the Internet took off, and he became more and more unhinged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m listening to the episode now. They say they aren’t too familiar with Hannibal Lecter stuff, and suggest that it was written as a middle finger.

Wasn’t that actually the case? Harris was miffed about being contractually obligated to write another Hannibal Lecter book that could be adapted into a movie or something?

I believe so. But then there's the even worse books in the series that followed it.