Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game are you excited for this month?
Yes
No
Only two times a day
View Results

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't think there's any games in June I'm interested in.

House of the Dying Sun enters Steam Early access sometime in June and overall its a solid game based off the press code I have, and made by a lone Goon. That said, EA isn't the same as an actual release but will be cool to play when its fully available.

Edit - I guess the new Witcher DLC came out this week so that can count for June.

Another Goon game, Brigador, finally leaves the wasteland of Early Access in a couple of days and everyone should check it out because it looks pretty great. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

I am glad that I am in a nice, healthy relationship, and I hope everyone can one day find themselves as lucky as I've been in that regard

I'm going to die alone. Bury me with my Steam library.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Stexils posted:

linkle is cool but id rather play as a female link than a new character
:psyduck:
Seriously, actual new characters are good stop getting so attached to your brands, people.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Heres your cjacobs update for the day, gamers. Currently at the doctors office, they have heard me out about. They symptoms and think I might be having gallstones or possibly an ulcer. So that guy that said dark souls gave me an ulcer might have been technically right lol

I hate to break it to you, but I'm a doctor for real and the only way to beat your mental illness or whatever is to keep playing Doom games for the rest of your life.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jake Gyllenhall was really good in Nightcrawler no not like the superhero you loving degenerate fucks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bloodychill posted:

He's a decent actor who just happens to pick some really awful movies to be in. That end of the world thing where everything froze was maybe the worst and has also been a touchstone for the dumbest climate change denyers.

Huh? But that entire lovely movie was predicated on climate change being real.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

I really wish Prisoners found an audience the way that Source Code and Nightcrawler did, it's an amazing (ly brutal) movie and Roger Deakins did the cinematography for it and does some amazing stuff in it.

Uh, I haven't watched it but apparently it made triple its budget at the box office and got nominated for a whole slew of cinematography awards, including an Oscar. :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Love Stole the Day posted:

The past 5~10 E3 conventions have been garbage. I don't know why people are still excited for it unless you're going there irl for the experience, like as a tourist attraction.

We just pretend to like it to piss you off. Hell, that's the whole reason the convention's still going on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jay Rust posted:

Hey, if you could have a sequel to a currently dead franchise, what franchise would you pick?

Freespace, and anyone who says something else is dead and retarded.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

9 minutes to hoi4

Merry Hitlermas.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I thought the reason they didn't release XCOM 2 on consoles in the first place was because nobody bought the first game on PS3/360?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I dream of, and for, oblivion.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone who unironically uses the word "normies" needs to be shot into the sun, hth.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's tough and quirky but really rewarding! Lots and lots of variety too.

Yeah, I'm loving it a tonne. Top-shelf warcrime simulator, that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

raditts posted:

What age was that? Dude looks like he's in his mid-late thirties.

He's 22.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Erata posted:

Well I guess you can't talk about horror games and stuff without bringing up Frictional Games and Amnesia and Soma. BUT. My favorite thing from their history was a little bit of trivia they revealed at some GDC talk I can't remember what year it was off the top of my head.

I kind of ruined Amnesia for myself. I was hiding and freaking out when the monsters first showed up but then I decided, "ah gently caress it", charged right at it, saw it's freaky face, died, and went "oh, freaky, but now I know what it is." Plus dying kind of made me realize that there was no penalty for suiciding against them and could actually be convenient. Great game though, incredibly atmospheric. I even liked A Machine for Pigs for what it was, but I can easily see why people were dissapointed with it. It's not very scary outside of the industrial environment and they actually removed a lot of the gameplay elements the first game had. Haven't played Soma yet, though I look forward to it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

I think I've figured out what bugs me about Mighty #9's visuals. The foreground doesn't stand out enough from the background imo, so instead of looking like 2.5D it just looks like a 3D game that you can only walk on two axes of for some reason. I know technically that's what 2.5D is, but I don't really like the look of games that don't differentiate the area you move around in from what's just set dressing. The foreground and the background in that video are comprised of the same grey, silver, brown/green colors.

That and the fx look like placeholder art.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also happy first day of e3 east coast goons. :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fysno8xdJWo
I hope Battlefield One is good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That's our Lurdiak! :iamafag: *Lafftrack plays*

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Real hurthling! posted:

Was that the one where you swing an ax with mouse motion control?

I think that was Die By the Sword though maybe Rune had it too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh weird, Treyarch did that? Honestly didn't realize they were that old, I guess I just figured they were always part of the Activision/COD smorgasbord.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
CODtalk got me googling and it's apparently still consistently the highest-selling franchise every year, even when it underperforms, so don't expect it to go away anytime soon.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Harrow posted:

I was initially turned off when they described this as "Souls-inspired" but Absolver actually looks kinda cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTy52Y5PJXY

Nothing about that looks like Dark Souls.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

I find it strange that it's the first time call of duty is doing something interesting and new for the series in a very long time

and yet this has been the response

It also used an awful Space Oddity cover not long enough after Bowie's death.

Also I've gotta disagree in that it looks like it's doing the exact same stuff as any other COD game but in space.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Literally any other setting is better than World War 2 or Generic War Happening In The Desert at this point. I am ok with space.

Well I'm with you there. Spacewar is bestwar. But outside of the delineated spaceship sequences, everything they've shown of the singleplayer looks like it ultimately plays like any other COD campaign, which is cool if you're into that. I guess they haven't shown anything of the PVP but this'll be the third game with mantling and doublejumping, so even that's not so new to the series. End of the day, I just don't like the way the series's multiplayer is so I'll be playing the much less popular Titanfall 2 instead. I recently got back into the first game after a year and I'm finding it a huge amount of fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ethanol posted:

Please elaborate on why you don't like the series multiplayer and why titanfall solves this for you I am very interested

Assuming you're not being fascetious...

Part of it is the slightly higher TTK, part of it is the "kitchen-sink" approach (everyone can simultaneously carry two anti-infantry guns, one AV weapon, grenades, cloaking devices, Hack-Knife[tm], and, of course, a Titan), most of it is the map design. Titanfall's maps are fairly large--smaller than Battlefield's but getting there--and open, and you can get just about anywhere with enough mantling, jumping and wallrunning. Whenever I've played the latter-day COD games I've just felt constrained, I guess. Plus Titanfall seems to embrace its sci-fi silliness more, what with its variety of energy guns, giant robots, and smaller, enthusiastically saluting robots.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 20, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

We went to the shelter to check on the little kitty and see how he was doing and the shelter was like "oh you wanted to check on that kitten?" and we were like "yeah" so they got a cage and 2 bowls and some kitty food and a cat carrier and gave him to us

I guess we have another cat now

Maybe stand up for yourself next time, huh?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

So much good genuine talent is being wasted on fuckin star wars these days :sigh:

Ah, boy. I'm just so tired of all these Star Wars.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Snak posted:

Yeah, I mean I think that MN9 looks like garbage. But that said, it's important to remember that making things is hard. And just because something didn't turn out looking very good (I say looking, because I haven't played it), doesn't mean that the people who worked on it didn't work very hard on it with the best of intentions.

There's a big tendency now to look at something that didn't turn out great and say "wow 'they' had all the money and 'they' just went 'yep this is good enough people will buy it anyway'" when even the crappiest games are usually the result of developers working very hard for long hours.

You can't win with today's immediate entitlement culture. With few exceptions, if your game takes too long it's "never coming out" and it's "vaporware" and if you release it too soon it was "rushed" and "unfinished".

This is stupid. If you're creating a product for consumers, the onus isn't on the buyer to follow the product's entire developement lifecycle and all its trial's and tribulations. If the end result is garbage, then nothing you did before matters. It's the same in any other industry.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quest For Glory II posted:

man you just cant win with entitlement culture. it's like, you have to actually make good games now. what the gently caress

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Macaluso posted:

As someone who likes Jim Sterling and his videos, I feel like his voice is just too distinctive to really work in a voice acting role. There's never gonna be a situation where I hear his voice and be able to hear the character instead of Jim Sterling.

No interest in the game but they really shouldn't have hired non-voice actors to voice act. Dan Ryckert's a treasure and all, but he sounds terrible.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jay Rust posted:

I kind of have to go

gently caress it's going the awkward. I'm incredibly nervous. It's pretty slapdash too: the Facebook invitation just says that we'll all meet in front of the school, please bring wine and chips

I do like wine, though

Hire a hooker to pretend to be your wife, show up in a smoking jacket.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

smuh posted:

This is an odd videogame thread by the way

It's half E/N, half Games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Doesn't the room after the brutal kill tutorial lead to an elevator cutscene which cuts to the Doom logo after Doomguy punches a monitor? I am wondering if Palpek thought that was the end of the demo.

I think you get two arena areas in the demo. It's fun but still really short and I wish they'd given you a later level as well to show how the game really ramps up.

I mean, I just bought the game in the Steam sale but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

There are 11,000+ people playing it right now according to Steamcharts.

So at least 11 times more than Battleborn.

• Locked thread