Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's Here :toot:

Finally, the month of reckoning. Decide whether you prefer Cameron and Osborne to Gove and Galloway, whether you want Britain Stronger In Europe or to Take Back Arse Of Reignity, whether you want the comforting status quo of neoliberal eurocapitalists or a brave new direction with Boris' Johnson, whether you're more terrified of The Market being slightly inconvenienced or by the existence of Moldova, and whether it's easier to get citizenship in Belize or Belgium when this all goes to poo poo.

Patriotic British campaigners encourage undecided or Euroskeptic members of Leicester's large Asian community to vote Remain.

A Summary of the Arguments
Brexit, Lexit, Remain, Reform, what's actually going on with these camps?

Here's some liberalesqe handwringing about both sides through the eyes of "what's best for me? :qq:" which is the closest that I could find to balance.

Vice Magazine has an analysis of the referendum through the lens of xbox spacemen or something, because of course they do.
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-look-at-the-brexit-debate-through-the-filter-of-mass-effect-909

Really the best case for Remain is whatever shite is coming out of the Brexit camp. Here's UKIP's Crisis of Infinite Turks video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yno5lHA-LY8

And here's something that even they quickly disowned:

And gently caress knows what this is. Some kind of xenophobic football accumulator and also the EU costs £350m which will all be spent on the NHS if the UK leaves which is how economics works:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07d9t6x/eu-referendum-campaign-broadcasts-vote-leave-310516

On the other hand, you can see why there's quite a few Black and Asian people worried about staying in, even if Leave also has its share of crazy racists:

And last but not least (although certainly covered least in the press) there's the #lexit campaign, which raises some very valid points but seems to run on the hope that the British government won't be complete shits post-exit:

https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-fb62-To-support-public-ownership-vote-for-an-EU-left-exit

A View From Outside
Here's what some non-EU countries are saying about the Referendum, because really the UK is the smallest part in this whole thing:

• The Sydney Morning Herald calls the referendum "the idiocies of an ageing and rattled parent".
• South Africa's Business Day believes that Brexit might require complete trade renegotiation with the SACU states and that this is a serious risk, but could go either way.
• UAE's The National thinks that Brexit might be good for Africa.
Russia Today writes that Brexit will condemn Britain to irrelevance according to historians.
Caribbean News Now worries that Brexit might decrease the influence of many Carribean states and territories on Europe.
• Malaysia's The Star makes some comparisons to Asean and worries of an 'ever closer union' but overall commends the civility of the debate.
India Today prints a press wire from pro-Brexit MPs of Indian origin saying that Brexit would allow better UK-India ties.
• The Hindustan Times on the other hand reports the opposite, that Britain leaving could harm trade opportunities for India.

What's the Likely Outcome

Bookies consistently see Remain as the most likely result, but as many previous threads have shown, bookies frequently base their odds more on where other people have put their money than on purely political phenomena.
Polls frequently show a close race, or sometimes put Leave ahead, but as many previous threads have shown, polls are sometimes total poo poo.

What Else Is Happening?
• Tories may have committed actual criminal acts in their local election campaigning (involving finance, not children). The only people who really seem to care are Channel 4 and the SNP though.
• Jeremy Corbyn wants war crime prosecutions for Blair. Let the blood gates open.
• Corbyn also paused and gave a thoughtful but non-specific answer when asked what class he considered himself. This is bad for class consciousness.
• Leicester won the Premier League against 5000/1 odds and also chased some fash out of the city, although the numbers were significantly different in the latter case. Then they came back the next week and the same thing happened and their leader got arrested.
• An appeal date has been agreed for the challenge on opposite-sex couples' access to civil partnerships in the High Court, as the judge who upheld the ban agrees that many people would regard the situation as unfair.
• The intelligence services (MI5/6) may have been involved in historic child abuse in Northern Ireland, or at least in covering it up. They have claimed that they will cooperate fully with the investigators, who they surely don't have any dirt on.
• The Queen's Speech called without irony for people to live within their means, announced the investigatory powers bill whereby data includes all data that isn't data data and we must no longer be passively tolerant of this, and the education for all bill where poor areas get forced academies.
• The Psychoactive Substances Act lurched into life like a galvanized corpse stuffed with bad definitions, and the Home Office has now decided that chemicals for research that are not for human consumption are exempt. So outside of head shops and blatant packaging nothing changes? Maybe? What a shitshow.

The Woven Threads of Union

The Common Market
UKMT May 2016
UKMT April 2016
UKMT March 2016
UKMT February 2016
UKMT January 2016 - Not The Best Month

The Heath Declaration
Paedogeddon/Press Corruption Thread

The Auld Alliance
Scotpol Thread

Las Brigadas Nacionales
EDL/Fash Thread

Das Vierte Reich
Europol Thread

The Eurail Pass
Trainchat Thread

The Poor Man's Charlie
Political Cartoons Thread

Le Nouveau Minitel
#ukgoons on synIRC. It's mostly active during Question Time, but there's always some people around (thanks crispix).

Please keep the following in mind

quote:

1. It's not a person's fault if they are poor;
2. It's not their fault if they are disabled;
3. Neo-liberalism doesn't work;
4. The Daily Mail lies (maybe even about Pig Dave and charity);
5. Neo-liberalism has never worked;
6. The British Empire was not a force for good;
6a. And neither is the European Union;
6b. But it might be better than the current alternative;
7. Neo-liberalism will never work;
8. Trans people are not "men in dresses";
9. Gendered insults are not okay;
10. If something is "so gay" it had better be something that is really happy;
11. Trains are awesome;
12. The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Bonus rule for our EuroPol guests

quote:

1. I have no idea if your thread is as racist/fascist/anti-refugee as people say, but don't do that poo poo here thanks.

Finally, please rise for our supranational anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKS-FTiRxM8

Let's Play Ball!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Welcome to the misery everyone.

I'm hoping we Remain, but everyone who votes Leave has to move to the Falklands.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Enough of this bullshit of weighing up my options, I want to know how Edmund Blackadder, Ellen Ripley and the cast of the Muppets would vote.

Abstaining due to the mainstream campaigns being bad news for everyone and the leftwing campaigns just being bad. Expecting a Remain result overall.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Do even 1% go to church every Sunday? I suspect "practicing" protestants are just as crazy as "practicing" catholics.

I only wish UKIP was as marginal as any major church.

namesake posted:

Enough of this bullshit of weighing up my options, I want to know how Edmund Blackadder, Ellen Ripley and the cast of the Muppets would vote.

Abstaining due to the mainstream campaigns being bad news for everyone and the leftwing campaigns just being bad. Expecting a Remain result overall.

Blackadder? Out
Ripley? In
Muppets? Split down the middle.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 1, 2016

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I voted for Pissflaps but only because "Remain - because I actually really like the EU but I'm not a Tory" wasn't an option.

e: Also I'm really looking forward to the thread getting back on track and talking about why JFairfax hates Catholics so much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaikPv034Hc

I love my possibly dying possibly travelling to are country to get treatment for the gay HIV that the NHS won't provide union.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Blackadder, whichever he thinks will give him the fastest route to power, but will probably be wrong. Ripley, Leave due to a misunderstanding regarding a UKIP leaflet about aliens. Muppets, most aren't allowed to vote due to residency, but Swedish Chef, Rowlf the Dog, and Traveling Matt support Remain whereas Miss Piggy, Statler, and Boris Johnson support Leave.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also Ripley wants to leave because she hates the loving company.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Blackadder? Out
Ripley? In
Muppets? Split down the middle.

Pfft Blackadder would be like Nigel Farage with better hair and more charm, living it up on EU expenses and doing sod all. So he'd probably put Baldrick in charge of the campaign for Leave while he secretly voted Remain.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lord of the Llamas posted:

There's a well rounded and thought out response to justify abuse and the institutional covering up of abuse??
Just to respond to this in the last thread; what I meant is that JFairfax has directly stated in the past that being a Catholic means you support the abuse and cover up, when in actuality you probably aren't going to find a lot of Catholics that believe that. The reason I directed people to that thread is that you'll probably get a better impression of what the ground floor view of that situation is from people who are actually on it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The worst abuse of chemistry in Breaking Bad was the pronunciation of methylamine

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've learned to be accepting of a variety of different pronunciations for various organic chemicals, simply because there's too many or too few standards, depending on how you look at it.

My organic chemistry teacher was from deep within Yorkshire though, and pronounced all foreign words through a strict forrin-to-Yorkshire filter. Took a while before I figured out how grigg-nard reagents were supposed to be pronounced. And vigorous condensers. Very knowledgeable about the actual chemistry, just didn't like the French going around putting French names on things.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's an amine with a methyl group, I refuse to believe that anyone pronounces it "meth-la-meen"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I've learned to be accepting of a variety of different pronunciations for various organic chemicals, simply because there's too many or too few standards, depending on how you look at it.

My organic chemistry teacher was from deep within Yorkshire though, and pronounced all foreign words through a strict forrin-to-Yorkshire filter. Took a while before I figured out how grigg-nard reagents were supposed to be pronounced. And vigorous condensers. Very knowledgeable about the actual chemistry, just didn't like the French going around putting French names on things.

Grog-nard is a much better pronunciation of the word as it is used though. It's onomatopoeic.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's an amine with a methyl group, I refuse to believe that anyone pronounces it "meth-la-meen"

It is at least consistent with a-loo-mi-num.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Guavanaut posted:

On the other hand, you can see why there's quite a few Black and Asian people worried about staying in, even if Leave also has its share of crazy racists:

Something seems wrong about this. Let me see...

Ah there you go.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Extreme0 posted:

Something seems wrong about this. Let me see...

Ah there you go.
:golfclap: I think the BBC deliberately left the UK blank to avoid the accusations of bias if they put the SNP or UKIP or literally anyone on there.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

British English manages to pronounce the meth- in methane completely differently to the meth- in any other methyl group, so it's always possible.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Guavanaut posted:

:golfclap: I think the BBC deliberately left the UK blank to avoid the accusations of bias if they put the SNP or UKIP or literally anyone on there.

I was going to put UKIP as irrelevent as England dosen't have it's own parliament.

If you are wondering where Denmark is. It's under the ocean where it belongs.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I know I'm gonna get a massive collective eyeroll from everyone for this, but all of those parties listed are right wing ethnic nationalists, which the SNP is quite obviously not. Exhibit A, Humza Yousaf.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
NVA aren't there for Belgium either, despite being kind of a wet free-marketeer Flemish version of the SNP.

Re: OwlFancier from the last thread: no, they haven't changed the wording on blood donation. It's also really kind of weird how the deferrals work.

So just to recap (with a bonus):
  • MSM: twelve months deferral, reset every time there is MSM activity.
  • WSMSM: twelve months deferral, reset every time the woman has sex with a MSM.
  • TWSTW: no deferral whatsoever.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-camerons-former-advisor-admits-8088612

Judge says that the word indecent has no real meaning and is entirely subjective based on what people reckon society as a whole might think about it. Defence responds by arguing that British society are basically a bunch of pedos anyway so.

Cross-posting from the Paedogeddon thread because I am loving dying to see how the Daily Mail/The Sun cover this. :allears:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gorn Myson posted:

Just to respond to this in the last thread; what I meant is that JFairfax has directly stated in the past that being a Catholic means you support the abuse and cover up, when in actuality you probably aren't going to find a lot of Catholics that believe that. The reason I directed people to that thread is that you'll probably get a better impression of what the ground floor view of that situation is from people who are actually on it.

I'm sorry you're an apologist for an organisation which so far probably has the all time world record for number of children abused by it's members.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Does the leave campaign actually have £50 million to blow on a ridiculous sweepstake or are the banking on the odds being astronomically against anyone actually winning?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

I know I'm gonna get a massive collective eyeroll from everyone for this, but all of those parties listed are right wing ethnic nationalists, which the SNP is quite obviously not. Exhibit A, Humza Yousaf.

:thejoke::thejoke::thejoke:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Guavanaut posted:

British English manages to pronounce the meth- in methane completely differently to the meth- in any other methyl group, so it's always possible.
No it doesn't, the British pronunciations are "mee-thane" and "mee-thyl". "Meth-il" with a short 'e' is an American thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What about meeth-ryl?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

jabby posted:

Does the leave campaign actually have £50 million to blow on a ridiculous sweepstake or are the banking on the odds being astronomically against anyone actually winning?

They've taken out insurance with Lloyds of London according to their website. The probability is pretty low, but it could happen. I'll sit down and try to work it out later when I look at the competition in more detail. Presumably (1/3)^number of games.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Oh disregard that. Apparently you also need to predict who goes through to the last 16 and who wins ties. So you're also trying to guess net goals. Can't be faffed to sit down and work that out.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Milotic posted:

Presumably (1/3)^number of games.

If every outcome had an equal chance of happening, in practice it'll be a lot lower I expect. But still too high to expect there's much chance of anyone winning.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Good news, everybody! Number of UK landlords rises to 1.75 million

quote:

The rapid pace of growth in buy-to-let investments has been illustrated by new figures showing the number of landlords rising by 7% in 2013-14 to reach 1.75 million.
Figures from estate agent ludlowthompson based on data from HM Revenue & Customs showed 1.75 million people declared income from property during the year, up from 1.63 million in 2012-13, as they chased returns on their cash that outstripped other investments.
Landlords banked a combined £14.2bn in net income from their rental properties during the year, up from £13.1bn the year before.
The HMRC figures are the latest data on landlord numbers, which are likely to have increased significantly since. Buy-to-let lending has boomed as cheap mortgages and rising rents, combined with low savings rates, have made property attractive to investors. Ludlowthompson said that over the past year the price of property in London had risen by 13.9% – a period when the FTSE 100 fell by 8.8%.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

LemonDrizzle posted:

"Meth-il" with a short 'e' is an American thing.
And a town in Fife. Which like most American things, should be destroyed.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Semprini posted:

And a town in Fife. Which like most American things, should be destroyed.
We're not all bad. We gave the world Blues music and ice cream cones.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

nobodyssweetheart posted:

We're not all bad. We gave the world Blues music and ice cream cones.

Ice cream cones led to Thatcher and are therefore a Bad Thing.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Kaislioc posted:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-camerons-former-advisor-admits-8088612

Judge says that the word indecent has no real meaning and is entirely subjective based on what people reckon society as a whole might think about it. Defence responds by arguing that British society are basically a bunch of pedos anyway so.

Cross-posting from the Paedogeddon thread because I am loving dying to see how the Daily Mail/The Sun cover this. :allears:

They won't. Not unless the news becomes so big they have to.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

JFairfax posted:

I'm sorry you're an apologist for an organisation which so far probably has the all time world record for number of children abused by it's members.

I'm pretty sure being Catholic doesn't mean you support child abuse any more than being a Muslim means you support Isis.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

sebzilla posted:

Ice cream cones led to Thatcher and are therefore a Bad Thing.
Mr. Whippy is all on you. We don't even have 99s or Flakes here.
Jack Kennedy invented the brownie sundae, though

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Did we manage to go through May without anyone cool and good dying?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Did we manage to go through May without anyone cool and good dying?

Burt Kwouk

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

JFairfax posted:

they weren't talking about the music industry though?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
When a mafia expert tells us Britain is the most corrupt country in the world, it's time to start listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

from the previous thread

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

But not inaccurate, everything that happens stems from a poor healthcare and social security net. Of course the journey reveals some very unpleasant things about various characters and the lengths they're willing to go to or not, but it all starts with Walt needing money for treatment and to secure his family's future if it fails.
But on he other hand, in the absence of the cancer would Walt have found a different excuse to start it off? If not hospital bills there'd be something else to spend the money on.
His arrogance and resentment and belief he'd never had the success or recognition he deserved were still there. And everything that prompts him to consider how easy it'd be - Hank's goading, spotting his connection to Jesse, ease of access to equipment & materials - is unrelated to the cancer.

Plus even with the treatment he was originally declined Walt is dead with a year. So it looks like it was the right medical decision that even a hypothetical perfect version or the NHS would have made.

• Locked thread