Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Deified Data posted:

My first Big Boss Baz Bonesplinta waged a hidden Waaagh all across the Old World without anyone being the wiser. Grimgor probably thought enemy generals were falling over dead in fear of him, not the stabby Goblin slipping a knife in their ribs.

Mine was something one-finger, and he failed literally everything I sent him to do. Should have done a hand check, make sure the grot could hold a dagger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
What's been fun lately is seeing something like a Luminark of Hyesh beam coming in and two shotting my general, but whenever I take one the shot clips through whatever I'm firing at and does 0 damage. How I win sometimes with conditions like that is well beyond me.

That said, how the sod do I assassinate generals as Dwarves? I don't think they can, but it's worth asking.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
^ It's not really a problem in campaign since the AI is less of a dick about flying casters that kill your general by flying in and out with their kill general spell, it's more a multiplayer issue.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Shoot it with guns. That's about as fast as you're going to get unless you can get your Lord into combat with it at the same time.

I was afraid of that. Been noticing the Brettonian and Dwarven lack of "use ability on general" ability to kill it really fast really hampers their rosters, but at least Brettonians can pick apart a flyer general if your opponent takes one.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

oswald ownenstein posted:

Yeah that's my experience 100%. Boar units are complete rear end. Slow as poo poo, poor in melee - what exactly is their upside?

If it was strong charge but weak, you'd expect speed

Wolves are definitely badass for being so cheap

Boars are a bit unique in that they come in variants that are armour piercing and variants that are armour piercing and anti-large for a relatively low cost. The orc boar boy biguns are actually pretty good at protecting against cavalry, going cavalry against cavalry. They also make better flankers into a big melee ball if your opponent is running loads of heavy armour, such as dwarves.

Orks aren't a great cavalry faction, but their cavalry does have some good niche roles that you can make use of.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Fangz posted:

I'm pretty sure sex in warhammerland involves lying back and thinking of the heldenhammer with no enjoyment involved.

Have you Heldenhammer's abs? I think thinking about Heldenhammer is how peasant women get themselves in the mood for their crooked toothed, foul smelling pleb husband.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Verranicus posted:

So my friend is letting me play his copy of this via the Steam family share thing while he's away on business, and I'm super stoked. Any tips for a new player?

Also, are there any must-have mods I should grab, and how is the battle length in this compared to Rome 2 or Attila? I'd like drawn out, more realistic fights if there are mods for that.

Multiplayer is just about the craziest wild west I've seen in a total war game in a long while. Either learn to general snipe or protect your general with every faction against every faction, or just spam something OP and hope your opponent doesn't know what they're doing.

Right now, stick to playing as Empire or orcs in multiplayer until you get a hang of things, the missing roster elements of every other faction makes them difficult until you get a hang of things. People are starting to wise up to undead bullshit and so they're probably going to stop being a top spot faction.

Of course most people just play single player, but for me, the fun is the multiplayer. :p

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah you can try that strategy. I haven't had much luck with it but it might work. The thing is to do Light Snipe good you gotta put him on a Pegasus and that money adds up quick and it's money you want on monster slaying units. Also a decent VC at that point can also use Gaze of Nagash or whatever which is just "vampiric magic missile" so you still can't out range them or anything, and a flying Light Wizard is a very juicy target for that spell. Honestly having Spirit Leech AND vampire magic missile on every VC wizard is a lotta bullshit.

Also I don't think that artillery is a waste in MP, just that it's a waste against VC specifically. I feel like I can use it to good effect against basically any other faction.

You probably shouldn't put the light wizard on a pegasus, he just gets rushed by some air unit if you do and zoned out. He can snipe most any vampire general from the ground just fine or if the general is on foot or horse, it's a lot harder for him to safely spirit leech you anyway.

If your opponent is using gaze of Nagash instead, just put your general inside a unit of spears or something. The damage gets dispersed a bit if it hits a unit and it seems to mess a bit with the missile's ability to hit a target. By the time he'll have killed your general you should have killed his as well, and his is a much larger investment than yours.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
^ I use a few of the buffs/debuffs. They aren't as popular since they don't seem as immediately visual but things like the cloak of fire and curse of the midnight wind, the latter overchanneled are absolute game changers, arguably more than general sniping if your opponent can protect his lord effectively or keep his general protected.

Chomp8645 posted:

Oooo I didn't realize/think about this. That could help a lot with their snipe attempts. I can always count on you for analysis Yukitsu!

Still it sucks that bringing any flying hero/lord against VC is basically a death sentence for them. I feel that's a problem in a general sense if not a balance one.

If you want to take a flying lord against vampires, take the Brettonians. Just charge anything in the air with pegasus knights, they'll easily take out any air play the vampires can muster, and Leoncuer is a load stronger than Franz with some damage reduction that works against spells and a bit of health regen making him harder to snipe than a normal general. You can even retreat him over your damsel for 12% more magic res putting him in total about on par with a dwarf and giving him time to regen for when your air battle is done.

It's possible to do an air counter play as other factions, but it's risky. You need to essentially do something like take 2-3 air mounted captains and hope your opponent can't kite them all to death properly, I've done that with exalted on manticores being lead by a death wizard as chaos though.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Lord Koth posted:

Err, it may or may not actually be a normal pick in MP(I don't know, I haven't touched that aspect), but Terrorgeists will rip through their points value and more of Pegasus Knights. Given that they have absolutely hideously high damage, armor piercing AND anti-large, along with packing quite a bit of armor and regeneration, Pegasus Knights really cannot handle it.

Pegasus Knights may win against other flying stuff the VCs have, but that monster is an extremely hard counter.

edit: They cost 2000 as opposed to a Pegasus Knight's 1200, but it is perfectly capable of ripping through 2 squads of them at the same time.

Have you tried it out in match made yet? The terrorgheist almost always loses that exchange with one pegasus knight unit at about half health and the other close to full. The charge bonus on pegasus knights is actually very substantial and it allows them to keep an aerial opponent caught in stun animations for a fairly long time. And even then no one takes the terrorgheist in match made since they're simply speaking completely awful for their points value.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

Tried playing MP for the first time, I think I got matched with a top player. I took Dwarves, he Orcs, I lost pretty badly. My Quarrellers and Thunderers didn't do jack poo poo and got rear charged by boars. I should have taken chaff dwarves to cover my rear, I am playing Dwarves on SP now and they are so drat slow. Maybe I should play some custom battles before MP.

Post up replays or something, we can all commentate on things you can change,

Sadly, a lot of this is in knowing what compositions to take and I can help a bit around that.

Against dwarves, 100% of orks need to take something that has AP damage. That's their heavy cavalry and their black orcs with black orcs being the stronger of the two, so you can expect to have to beat up on heavy armour. If he doesn't take them, he can't easily crack your armoured line. Trolls are too easy to rout with just crossbows, their cavalry doesn't have the damage to attack head on and the arachnarok while good against dwarves won't win them games on their own. So knowing that, if at least some of your army is designed to counter armour, I recommend the longbeards with great weapons as a super economical counter, you can win in a general infantry push.

Most will try to shut down your missiles so some warriors are a good addition to block against rear attacks and can fill in at the front if need be.

Other than that your personal mix is gonna be what you like, but you'll typically want some ranged units as dwarves, unlike many factions dwarves can win games with a lot of funds in missile weapons.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

Funny, but my composition WAS pretty much oriented around Longbeards with Great Weapons. I watched your Rome 2 videos on factions and noticed the whole price-per-unit thing as being a factor in not sinking too many funds on elites, plus I've read enough of the thread to understand armor-breaking is a big deal. I believe my composition was the Slayer king, a Runesmith, a Master Engineer, two Gyrobombers with brimstone guns, two Thunderers and two Quarrelers, six Longbeards w/GW, and one... I believe Dwarven Warrior w/GW.

I think my biggest roster mistakes were spending money on the Master Engineer (he didn't do poo poo worthy of the battle) and likely the Gyrobombers, because for all their armor they got torn apart by (Savage?) Arrer Boyz of all things. Tactics-wise I totally failed to micro my ranged better after unleashing a few volleys and pulling them behind my line, but by that point the front lines clashed and I had no units on reserves because I wanted to match his line to prevent envelopment, and the boar cavalry had easy access to my uncovered rear. I also hadn't realized it, but Longbeards w/GW also lack charge defense against large, so the enemy trolls (who kept being routed and returned) and cavalry bowled them over like they were some filthy Empire umgis who can't hold in their liquor. The Black Orcs also managed to beat out the Longbeards w/GW, which was kind of sad, but I think that's because the enemy general used some +Melee buff on them while I failed to do so until after it had cooled off.

Gyrocopters are a point sink in most games, you only use them against the Empire and I'd never take 2. Their high AP damage and good mobility makes them OK at sniping demigryph knights but that's about it. They sort of overkill other knights and don't have a good rate of fire.

Longbeards with great weapons will lose against black orcs because your guys cost 3/4 of what his do, though yours get efficient trades in that encounter. If you have say, 5 of them to his 4, you should win out since it takes a while for him to kill your units.

Never get the great weapons on the standard warriors, they just don't do enough damage even though they're theoretically a damage dealing unit and their defenses suffer a lot. By contrast, standard shield and axe warriors are cheaper, last longer and are great at holding your back line.

Master engineers are OK against orcs but only if you take a few catapults. I would only take him or the rune priest, not both.

Also, you can use this if you want to get a bit more multiplayer info on the dwarves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-HqQhYxBF8

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 17, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
I don't know where my head is, but every time I see VC I've been instinctively interpreting that as Vietcong.

As an aside, I really do hope they do a bit to nerf crypt horrors or buff trolls. The fact they cost the same is the only thing that really offends me because the difference is pretty clear.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Fangz posted:

It's kinda wrong IMO to compare units across factions like that, because there's so many interacting factors that influence things. Unless you mean multiplayer costing, anyway.

I mostly focus on multiplayer. Currently, the Vampire Counts roster is suffering a pretty bad lack of diversity since people just take like, 7 crypt horror units every match since that's an easy way to win. There are some unit counters against them but they're so economical it usually doesn't matter. By contrast no one takes trolls since they run from combat on contact. They're not terrible, but very situational and possible to counter. Actually, redact that, trolls are terrible. They just run away so much as you point a gun at them.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

Just wanted to throw out there that, once again, your videos explaining MP factions (for Rome 2 and Warhammer) are off the chain and I really learn a lot from your stuff. Sometimes it confirms my suspicions of a unit, other times it makes me rethink its use entirely. I started using Greenskins after your video explaining them and was able to win three straight matches against two Empires and one Greenskins player who tried to assassinate my dudes, but overloaded on Savage Orcs when I had Big 'Uns.

That said, Crypt Horrors really should cost something like 1100 for what they do.

Hey, glad the advice helped. The game needs a bit of fixing though, hope they don't change so much of it that I need to completely redo faction vids but at the same time, the multiplayer is a bit of a cheese fest.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
https://youtu.be/cSmd8cx6nWQ?t=1893

The state of multiplayer in a nutshell.

Also, I know at least Olive Branch will probably want to see the video. If you're trying out multiplayer, ignore the assholes that are propagating those cheese armies and use something that actually works. :p

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

Empire's one of my favorite factions to MP with, mostly because Deathclaw Franz is hilarious to charge into melee with and a single Steam Tank does serious work to force enemies into my swordsmen and crossbow lines :v:

EDIT: Holy lol that sad assassination attempt and army composition, what was that poo poo

That's about what half the people I play against do. I'm curious if you guys are getting a lot of games against this sort of thing as well or if I'm just getting terrible luck.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Hey Chomp, you were thinking of rangling up a tourney for this weren't you? Still interested in running something like that?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Chomp8645 posted:

:You can also find a link there to my incredibly low production-value videos of previously streamed goon multiplayer matches of Rome 2 and Shogun 2 on youtube.

You know, I played about 40 of those matches and I think you've only posted up my losses. :derp:

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

President Ark posted:

for those not aware of the story behind them, blood dragons are one of the vampire bloodlines descended from a warrior who just wanted to have honorable fights and wasn't into becoming a vampire but got tricked into it; he became a hermit who only turned people very rarely until he discovered something - after killing a dragon in single combat and drinking its blood he was cured of all the negative parts of being a vampire. i think the lore has waffled on whether it's just a really amazing fight that enables blood dragons to shake off the bad parts of vampire or killing and drinking a dragon's blood specifically, but they're this whole order of black knights who just want to have good fights.

Pretty sure it's dragon blood since Zacharius the everliving has the same traits as Abhorash last I checked. I think that in universe a ton of his followers believe they can become like their leader just by doing sit ups all day.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Dandywalken posted:

Man, Irondrakes loving suck. Their small unit size makes em useless for me, Im disappointed.

Anyone find a good way to employ them? They should have some sort of AoE value to bathe a unit in damage, since it seems they kinda just kinda piss in a stream of piss rather than 'palm.

The fire ones are pretty OK if you can channel people into a checkerboard. Get the enemy stuck between two units then fire into the channel between them.

The torpedoes are pretty OK at dealing with demigryphs and trolls but they aren't cost effective, just OK.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Pretty sure global recruitment is just there so if you're deep in pillaged territory that you can't claim for yourself and need to replenish your forces because you aren't managing your units well, it gives you an out other than walking all the way home. Every other game they've made you need to march units from the recruitment province and let me just say, I've had games where it's taken me 15 or more turns to get units from my core recruitment provinces to a front so the 6 turns isn't that punishing.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Gejnor posted:

Okay im drawing a blank here, 15 turns? Where was this front? The other side of Norsca?

Previous games. From the blacksmith in southern Japan to fuel my drive north. Or my Spanish iron mines to the far east of the map. Or getting Grenadiers to the Americas. Or sending falconets to help me conquer the Aztecs. And etc.

Unless your advance is slow as molasses, it's rarely possible for me to fully upgrade my production centers so that they're within a turn or two's march to the front lines and by the time I have a province set up to recruit my best units, it'll have often been more like 20 turns of dedicated building. It's easier for me to just keep a constant stream of production from my recruitment province and have them slog increasingly long distances across the map but it's also not rare for my late game to consist of mostly trash tier troops with no veterancy and no blacksmith upgrades.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 27, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Kanos posted:

This was poo poo design and one of the worst aspects of the old games and anything that mitigates it is a good thing. Using lovely militia, levies, and basic line infantry for the entire grand campaign because teching up and transporting troops around everywhere takes a million years and is annoying and frustrating. Big armies of high tier dudes and super units mashing into each other is way more fun in the late grand campaign.

Yes, the system in place is mitigating that. It's still rewarding players who actually produce sensible supply lines though as it takes those players half the time to recruit new units while some guy who wants his giants a million turns away from the front takes more. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me to make a super rewarding global recruitment pool. If it's faster to just walk back to your recruitment provinces, you should, but if you don't want to walk it back you should be penalized.

That aside, I actually think all guard stacks were pretty stupid as well. It makes more sense for me for armies that get eroded to consist of worse troops whereas players that could keep all their units alive could continue onward without penalty, or players that knew how to properly arrange supply routes for new troops to constantly stream along to reinforce your armies should be rewarded.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiXtA2pNRAw

State of multiplayer in three random matches, also to give myself a huge disadvantage if we ever do competition, here's my playstyle.

Despite the huge amounts of well justified griping, I don't actually think the state of the game is in that bad a place. There's a ton of matches that are pretty fun so long as you kind of know what's up.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

How do shields work, exactly? I understand the concept that it totally negates 30-50% of incoming small arms fire (arrows and bullets?), but is that percentage a guarantee of blocked damage, or does each projectile roll a hidden dice to check if it is blocked or hits past the shield?

Also, could I screen an unshielded unit with a shielded one standing on the same space, so that an arrow that targets my fragile unit could be blocked, Roman tortoise-like, by a fellow shield-bearer? I am picturing a little goblin jumping to shield an arrow meant for an Orc Big 'Un, though the orc would probably just pick up the goblin itself to catch the arrow with its head...

It seems to be based on a percent system. An arrow that hits a specific model has a percent chance to be blocked by the shield but it's determined as the projectile hits. You can mass together two units together so the blocking unit takes the hits but this also increases formation density which causes the units to take more damage overall so it's a question of taking less total damage or taking less damage on the unit you're blocking for. Currently I don't bother with mixing units together since combat is fairly fast paced and melee seems to be the bigger focus.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Gejnor posted:

Personally i really, and i mean like really.. reaally REAAAAALLLLYYYYyyy wish Orcs had a mid or high tier unit in their vanilla roster that uses a shield.

Wut kinda grotty lil git carries round a shield when e's already bigger an arder? Someone gunna hit you, you chop em'. Then e' won't it ya.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Gejnor posted:

's not der chopperz dats boferin' me boss, is dem arrers! Iz finkin' we gots to be more likez Mork an' be Kunning and all tha'!

Den ya chops da git what's shooting them arrers at ya. They aint firin themselves!

More seriously though, shields don't change the damage by a huge amount in this game. shielded units still take pretty bad damage running in against a gun line, but even without shields, tough, high HP units will make it to the top of that hill with good numbers.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Crap, wraith spam was already becoming real in multiplayer, especially with nehek looking like it got buffed the games against vampires are gonna be freaking rough.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Fangz posted:

Whuh? I thought it was agreed that wraiths were weak?

I certainly didn't say they were in my faction focus. They're hit or miss, their weakness is they crumble easily if outmanuevered but they'll beat any armoured unit in the game cost effectively. They do poorly when you have just one unit or whatever tossed into a fight but when you have a block of them with characters sitting on them spamming invocation, they're almost impossible to kill. It's beatable but it's something Undead players are starting to experiment more with.

You don't even need to deathstar them as mentioned above. I use them against dwarves consistently since none of the dwarven units easily counter them and they're a counter against their entire roster.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 29, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Vargs posted:

This is not my experience. I tested em 1v1 against greatswords, chaos warriors (both variants), longbeards, grave guard, and big uns. They lost every single time. These are very similar cost units, with some being cheaper than cairn wraiths.

I think they got hot fixed at some point. On release, they didn't seem to have the 75% physical resist that they were supposed to which made them completely unusable. Currently, they perform very well against things like great swords, chaos warriors and long beards, although I never use any unit 1 on 1, that would just be silly so maybe they still lose those.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Vargs posted:

I literally just re-tested this stuff right now.

Don't know what to say. You can see people getting chronically wrecked by them in quick battles because they can't kill them, even without blobbing them.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Dandywalken posted:

Wonder why flamethrowers wouldnt be good against armor anyways. Its sticky napalm poo poo, and they used it to kill tanks back in the 50's. I imagine it'd adhere to and seep into joints to cook any wearer of plate-armor alive.

I guess its always just been kind of a thing in games that flames sucks vs armor, sadly. Then again, in WH40k Flamers are poo poo versus armor as well so... :(

To be fair, the armour in 40K is fully sealed and meant to stop you from dying from things like an engine plasma surge so it kind of makes sense there. And I'd also rather be wearing a suit of armour than not if I'm going to be napalmed, sure my suit's gonna roast me alive but being in a really hot suit that I might be able to peel off or extinguish in time is gotta be better than being entirely on fire.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

ZearothK posted:

Seems good. Uh... Spoilers for final third of the Witcher 3.

I've seen the fatality where the guy gets flamed without the helmet, it's not any prettier. Besides, needs a better seal on that helmet, think that cheater was firing it into the eye slit.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Necroskowitz posted:

It looks like the meta has finally caught up and there's finally a viable dwarf strategy for online battles.

It's not a very viable strat. His opponent took 2 hellstorms and loads of non-AP spears against dwarves for christ sake. It's actually shockingly easy for a more standard dwarf counter list to beat that one, though I wouldn't say more standard build dwarves can't win matches either.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

hemale in pain posted:

If they put a tiny amount of effort in to it you can avoid most of the really bad cheese but they don't.

Most of the pure cheese strats are basically really easy to beat if you can guess it's coming or if you take it into account when building your army. If they got rid of it, where would I get my free wins crushing cheese on ladder?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

NT Plus posted:

I've never gone into multiplayer so I don't know these "cheese strats" since nobody ever elaborates on it. What sort of cheese should I come to expect?

Demigryph spam (easy to counter, nerfed so it'll be replaced), vampire deathstar (wraiths, necromancer, buffed will be even more around), crypt horror spam (nerfed, probably dead) general sniping (all factions, been in total war since all of them). I think some people were complaining about some orc comps with all giants but I've never seen it and assume it only works against vampires.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

jfood posted:

Increased both the Cunning and Fightyness stats of Greenskins across the board, except for the Gork aligned units.

They instead get an increase to their fightyness and cunning stats.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Ravenfood posted:

Running multiple Vampires is (was?) totally worth it in campaign for being able to spam Bjuna/Leech really quickly. Once they get decently leveled they each bring +15 to your reserve (so 2 casts of leech or 1 of Bjuna) and they can fight well unlike the other casters. I can't see anyone else bringing multiple casters with much frequency, though.

Why do Vampires get lore of Death and Necros get Lore of Vampires anyhow? There's literally no reason to build Necromancers as anything but economy agents that I can see; your lord has Vampire Lore covered and your Vampire heroes have Death.

Lore of vampires is more accurately necromancy which isn't the same as death magic. All of their legendary lords or generals use necromancy to create the undead armies, so thematically anyone capable of being a general has access to the lore. Necromancers also get it. Vampires don't just to distinguish them and give them a more unique role.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Spiros posted:

For those of you newish at TW games like me, you should watch people on twitch. I've learned so much in 2 hours.

Any good recommendations? All the people I've seen on there make me feel dumber and dumber as I watch them but I think that may be residual twitch chat more than the player themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Chomp8645 posted:

Tournament Talk Folks!

We have nine names so far so we're probably going to move ahead with something. If we could get to 16 players or more for a strong bracket that would be just swell! We will probably not start the tournament until at least the weekend of July 8th so the holiday doesn't mess anybody up and we can get more names. Noted Total War Guy and long time club member Yukitsu is going to handle the formal running of the tournament and we're working on the actual rules.

Join the group here (it's public): http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights

Post in this thread if you want to play: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights/discussions/0/358415738186952298/

I'm going to fling out what I'm thinking of right now and want to hear what people think about the rules. I'll have them finalized by Monday based on feedback and I'll have the brackets ready for the 8th.

First, I want each match to be a best of 5, each faction once per opponent. That way we won't see each match be an Empire or Vampire match and it promises to show even the top players with a wide variety of factions.

To avoid too much faction counterpicking, I want each player to send me a list of 5 factions that they'll play in order. So if I wanted to lead off with Empire and end with Vampires, I may send a list saying Empire, Greenskins, Chaos, Brettonia, Vampire Counts and would play them in that order against my opponents list.

To reduce the risk of a clean sweep stomp, I'm going to allow a player that's down 2 matches and about to face elimination a chance to recover by selecting their faction for game 3. This can be any faction they want, even if it's later on their list or if they've already played it. To give them the edge, they're allowed to pick their faction after seeing their opponent's faction.

I'm going to go along with a variant of the ESL rules for composition.
-Max 1 death magic
-Max 2 heroes (not including the lord)
-Max 6 of any one unit
-Max 2 of ranged cavalry
-Max 2 of demigryph knights and any giant. (giants, varghulf, arachnarok etc.)

I'll sit and wait for the patch to really solidify, I may remove the small cap on demigryphs if the nerf was effective, or I may need to add a unit cap to blood knights as well who are a similar type of unit.

Since there is literally nothing at stake and I want this to be a super casual tournament, I'm going to be running it single elimination unless you all would rather have it be double elimination.

Also, since I'm now organizing and running this thing, I obviously won't be competing, but I'll still be happy to take on any challengers.

• Locked thread