Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So I've been using this Playable Synths mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3925/

Which is working well except for a really obnoxious bug. Basically whenever your limb, or the limb of a power armor suit you're in, gets crippled your character gets the blue electric aura like enemy synths do before deaths. Its really annoying and the only solutions seem to be racechanging or sexchanging (which only turns it off until you open the pipboy or go into first person) or entering and exiting power armor (ditto). I've tried a bunch of console commands like dispel magic effects and the like but its super stubborn.

The only thing I've found is someone in the comments mentioning they got rid of the effect on being crippled in the Creation Kit. Is that something you can do through FO4edit, or something I'd need the CK for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CascadeBeta posted:

How does the horizon rebalancing play with new weapons? I tend to play the new fallout games by slapping as many weapons in them as possible.

He says the changes he made are to balance weapons so they're on par with the the vanilla combat shotgun which he considers a baseline good weapon so ymmv depending on how the new weapons are statted.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So I've been playing the Horizon mod posted here a few pages back and Im really torn on if I like it or not.

Certainly I like a lot of it. Toning down the frequency of needs popups is great, I like that player/enemy HP doesn't scale out of control and it feels fundamentally fair.

However, I feel like healing items and bullets are just too scarce. You have to rely on melee to an absolutly absurd degree and the out of combat healing items are insanely scarce. I've found 3 total in about 8 hours and I've never seen any merchant carry them. And crafting them loving gobbles up cloth/adhesive to the degree you can't really do any weapon/armor modding. It is incredibly tedious and makes any 'big' encounter cost way more in resources than you can get in loot and tacks on some travel time to head to a doctor because healing limbs is also super rough.

It just feels more tedious than anything.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Smol posted:

What's the gooncensus on Horizon?

Its good if you're really into 'I never want to use weapons other than pipe pistols and melee' because ~realism~

I just found it a slog. Its punishing and you basically treadmill incremental rewards forever while using the same lovely guns because the most exciting safe you open has 4 whole .45 bullets in it. And you had to kill 20 raiders to get there. :effort:

It does do some good stuff with level scaling and rebalancing enemies I wish was standalone though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

horse mans posted:

As a counterpoint, read my latest posts in this thread. I think Horizon is fantastic for a ton of reasons.

EDIT: Something I think some people aren't realizing is that you have to completely rethink how you scavenge. All your muscle memory and visual cues for what was important scrap in the vanilla game has to be completely rethought. Pristine boxes of cigarettes and cigars are some of the most valuable items you can find. Alcohol is iffy because it's incredibly valuable but also very useful for antibiotics. You should be picking up all the food you can find, all the ingredients you can find, and get your scrap storage system set up as soon as possible so you can call cargo bots as you go.

Also, in vanilla Fallout, you can find one good gun and stick with it forever. You have to think about things differently in Horizon. You should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, sell ammo, and you should have a rotation of weapons for different situations. If you know you're off to kill humans, a pipe rifle/sniper rifle, a good melee weapon, and maybe a 10mm will do just fine. If you have to clear out super mutants, a more powerful sniper rifle, laser weapons, and a revolver would do the trick. If you need to take out robots, find a powerful shotgun, etc. You can't just lean on any one weapon to take you through the game, because it won't stand up against everything you encounter, and you're not going to have enough ammo to realistically combat everything. You're also going to have to do a whole lot of running and hiding.

It's better than vanilla in almost every way. The sense of satisfaction of just finally producing purified water at a settlement is more empowering than anything you do in the vanilla game.

No I picked up on that I just don't find it fun or rewarding. Progress is glacial and incremental and half my fun in these games is playing with cool weapons (Energy weapons and not tactilol bullshit thats in every shooter).

Also I played a few versions ago when eating was absolutely hosed which it looks like has been fixed with some lower level recipes and lowering rads on prewar food. Constantly having ~25% health because even with a stack of various meats being able to cook poo poo required a fully operational settlement or two of crops (which were almost impossible to find) so you had to eat prewar food that radiated you to hell. Then you had to trek down to loving Diamond city to cure it and it was just this viciously unfun gameplay loop.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 7, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Smol posted:

Is Horizon so punishing that, say 50 hours in, I won't have enough ammo to use <my favorite weapon> consistently?

Yeah unless your favorite weapon is a pipe pistol/rifle.

You'll have a smattering of other ammo but not enough to use any one kind of gun consistently except pipe stuff.

You get about as much ammo for other weapons as you do for the alien blaster in vanilla roughly.

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 8, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Considering the majority of the US military is and was stationed on the west coast I find it hard to believe that the east coast got nuked harder. Los Angeles is called the Boneyard for a reason.

It probably wasn't nuked harder, the East Coast just seems to be infested with hyper-advanced secret societies that deliberately stymie the growth of any kind of government :v:

(because Bethesda is bad)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

horse mans posted:

I'd be curious to see how the people complaining about scrounging for ammo would react to Fallout 2, where most builds won't fire a shot until level 6, and a single 9mm round costs 5 dollars.

Combat in Fallout 2 isn't a first/third person shooter and actually supports interacting with the game world in ways other than shooting people.

I'm much cooler with not shooting in a turn-based game.

Also in general you burn much less ammo per encounter and can actually build up significant stocks of it in the mid-late game which you really can't in Horizon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On Horizon talk, is it not possible to just buy the ammo you need or craft/luck perk more ammo and would laser weapons not have enough ammo?

No, not really. It takes the scacity thing really seriously, I wasn't joking when I said I killed 20 raiders and the most exciting chest in the place had 4 .45 bullets, a bandage and some antibiotics.

Outside of 20 energy cells on the dead minuteman with the crank musket I don't think I found a single cell in the world or on a merchant.

Also ammo is expensive and most merchants have tiny stocks (like 3-12 bullets) that take days to refill.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fewd posted:

Question for Horizon early adopters; how well do standalone weapon mods work with it, if at all? Horizon faq hints that mods which touch loot lists can poop things up. Also does Horizon touch original weapon damage values much? Standalone damages might end up being balanced to rear end in that case.

Not well. It rebalanced all the weapons to match its new environment so any standalones are going to stick out like sore thumbs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Do the modders have any sort of consistent algorithm for how they've decided to set the new damage values? Modding stats on a weapon is pretty trivial to do with FO4edit so you could probably roll your own compatibility patch if you knew what damage values would be consistent with Horizon's rebalancing.

He might, but I'm not aware of it. A lot of the beta tweaks were also rebalancing weapons against each other so there probably isn't a consistent conversion from vanilla stats.

You might be able to ask on the page, or just look for the closest equivalent in FO4 edit and copy the stats from that. :shrug:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Don't ever eat pre-war food, it costs way too many rads for the nutrition you get. As a corollary, hunt literally everything so you have food. Any radstag/molerat/etc you see should be butchered. With melee to save bullets.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gilg posted:

Trying out Horizon, any tips if I want to play settlement-less? It looks like they're the best way to get purified water and fast travel is tied to them as well, but I'd really rather not deal with settlements.

There really isn't a good way tbh, he tied a lot into settlements. Ignoring them would be like playing vanilla FO4 without ever healing; technically possible but miserable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

I'm pretty sure the perk requirements on recipes are either the regular oerk you can get by level up OR the Magazine one. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to craft Medicated Bandages with just 1 rank in Medic since it needs a Medical Journal 7! perk.

Its a mix. Some require both, some are either or.

He notes in his talk page that he doesn't have a good way to distinguish which.

Also the Eyebot mod is the greatest mod in the game. My eyebot buddy rocks a Minutemen hat and shoots giant rocks at people out of a jury-rigged pipe.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 21, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Which Alternate start mod are you using? The most popupar ones are explicitly incompatible with Horizon according to their pages.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I just want something that stops the insane health scaling. I'm honestly mostly fine with how the vanilla game plays out but goddamn does health scaling throw loving everything off after a while.

Its why I really, really want to like Horizon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Have they said anything about Fallout 4 VR being as moddable as regular fallout 4?

Skyrim VR is completely unmoddable so I assume the same will be true for Fallout.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Has anyone taking over updating Mod Organizer 2 since Tannin got hired by Nexus? I really don't want to use NMM but MO2 even the beta had a lot of issues.

Just use NMM. MO2 is a trashfire and NMM has a lot of the utility of the older MO releases.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Post poste posted:

I have no power armor and I haven't been spamming VATS.

I am bad at video games. Thanks.

If you're bad use VATS. Its literally what its there for.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
If you want to record it, yeah.

There's a reason Bethesda didn't go with the bespoke ENBs people go crazy with and its mostly because they make the game muddy and unwatchable unless your rig is really good. And when you record you lose a lot of visual detail due to compression and bitrate.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dalael posted:

What is VANS?

It's a Horizon perk that replaces one of the ones in Vanilla. It lets you buy a rank every 5 levels that gives you 5 perk points.

If you never take it you get a damage and health buff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Azhais posted:

They don't really decide, all the town plans are things people submitted. As the towns level up they'll get more things generally speaking. They start with survival and scrapping to get materials, then as they stay successfully they'll upgrade and have shops and the like.

Nothing stops you from going to the little sensor module on any given building and changing some industrial heap to a medic template or something.

And you should if you have a bunch of farms. Most of the planned settlements absurdly over-produce food.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Azhais posted:

My experience when exploring the settlement plans is that they all really follow some random person's preferred commonwealth design. Like some places are farms and produce tons of food, some places are cities that produce nothing and basically require supply lines from said farms for food and water.

So if you build the entire region it works out great, but for individual places it's absurdly over or under producing.

Other people make each one self sufficient, which is better imo

See, my issue is the opposite :v:

The issue is every place is basically designed in a vaccuum and there are a fuckton of farms.

So you have Abernathy/Grey Garden/Sanctuary/Sunshine Tidings/etc focused super heavily on food while even places like Hangman's Alley/The Castle get a bunch of food stuff for no reason.

So everywhere produces enough food and water for itself and basically nowhere is actually like a city that relies on imports or whatever. And you just have this massive food surplus and 0 commercial/recreation areas.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I think that even if you use a city plan the buildings can be set to "random" instead of drawing from the original designers choices. Since I'm bad at making towns I flipped the setting to reflect whatever the designer had picked, but it's still been a challenge to find a place to stuff in a Logistics building.

I'm really liking that mod. No more figuring out supply lines, and it's easy to summon each provisioner to be equipped. They get descriptive names so you can tell which route they serve.

For supply lines I always just made a bunch of Automaton robots, stationed them all in Red Rocket (where I kept my poo poo) and send them out as a spiderweb of supply to every settlement. It lets me indulge in using all the great robot mods from the 'I speak Japanese only' guy and you get so much raw robot stuff from the Automatron questline its simple to have like a dozen running around as long as you aren't trying to go maximum best parts.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kafouille posted:

Synths in Horizon are horrendous bullet sponges, you definitely need to scavenge around a fair bit to build up your stocks before you hit Arcjet or Fort Hagen.

Not really, their vulnerable point is just their arms and legs instead of the head. It makes them stupidly easy to take out in VATS with little ammo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I need a beefier rig to actually run rise of the commonwealth. It was fine for a while but now that Sanctuary is up to level 2 with about 24 settlers I just hard crash when I get too close.

The higher level settlements look really cool but goddamn are they intensive as gently caress.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Looks like Sanctuary is maxing out at only 20 settlers despite having Increased Settler Population and using the Spawn Settler Button to try and force it. Does the button not work properly with an increased settler cap? Posts on the mod page seem to suggest it should be working all the way till 56 at least.

Spawn settler has issues with the default cap of 10+cha. It should still be getting more over time though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So I decided on Armorsmith, a couple of ambience/weather mods, a couple of "realistic" physics mods, but then I once again realized I forgot that mods will probably disable achievements, so I'm considering a straight-vanilla run for my first pass at the game, because I'm a bit of a sucker for achievements. I'm kinda hoping that the GUI/user interface isn't as bad as vanilla Skyrim compared to modded versions.

Use this mod and re-enable achievements

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12465

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

WebDO posted:

Sim Settlements question: Sanctuary allowed me to build anything I wanted and all was good until the town leveled up, and now it says it's at max capacity so I can't manually add anything. This is an error, right? And if so, how do you fix it?

Go into the Sim Settlements menu and increase the build limit. Be warned too much poo poo will probably make you crash (RIP my save with a level 2 Sanctuary)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Yo since the Fo4 thread is rip I'm just gonna put my misc questions that arise while playing it in here even if I'm not using any mods on my first run if you don't mind?

So I just finished the whole intro quest line and started to gently caress around with the settlement building a bit. But it seems really awkward to me to place things since I can't move once I'm in the building interface. Do I really have to trail&error a bunch of times until I stand in the right spot so that I can place a dumb bed where I want it to be? I mean if so then actually building a house seems like a nightmare to me :ohdear:

You can absolutely move while in the build interface though?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

I guess this is where I come in with the mandatory Horizon plug. It's a total mechanical overhaul so if you only want to fix automatics it's not for you, but if you're looking to rebalance the whole game into a fair but challenging survival experience including fixing a lot of niggling issues like bullet sponge enemies, automatics sucking, settlements being useless etc., I heartily recommend it.

Provided you aren't scared of wading through some obtuse documentation to figure out how things work, anyway.

Automatics arguably suck worse in Horizon since every bullet is individually more important since they are way rarer/more expensive. The absolute best idea in Horizon is to stack damage over everything and never ever use Automatics or you're pissing vital caps away for no reason.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Wrr posted:

I personally like Horizon a lot, even if some of its features can get a bit overwhelming. The respawn system works well and really does make me feel like building settlements matters more.

I like Horizon but the dude who makes it is such an incredible tool.

quote:

The problem is, Horizon isn't a dummy-proof mod you can drop-in along with 200 other random mods.. so it doesn't get the recognition that I think it deserves. Especially based on the staggering amount of time it took to actually turn Fallout 4 into a polished RPG game. People are too afraid to mess with their 300 mod load-orders, so they shy away from it... not realizing what they are missing out on. Or, they just don't understand what it really does. Or worse, they install it broken, and blame the mod, and leave.

If more people understood it should be treated as a new Fallout game, and then build UP from it.. they'd find there's no other way to play Fallout 4. I'm obviously biased, but I honestly have no idea how anyone could play this game without Horizon/Architect at this point.

I could have easily made 40 separate gameplay mods and spammed them all over nexus to brag about all the mods I created, but the game will never work properly unless you are balancing it all from 1 single master source.

Maybe when I release Architect (finally), it'll get more recognition.. although we're nearing the point where I think less and less people even play Fallout 4.

Whining about how the plebs don't worship your greatness enough in your own mod comments is pretty peak :nexus:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, honestly I never use anything approaching a 'realistic' gun if I can help it. Games are there to let us explore stuff that can't be in reality so always give me a pew-pew laser pistol and gun made of glued together scrap over another loving 'true tactical M1 with REAL IRON SIGHTS' or whatever the gently caress real gun.

If there was a mod that removed all the weapons from the game except the energy/pipe/completely impractical melee weapons I would install it in a heartbeat

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 11, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Chronojam posted:

I'm not 100% sure on this but supposedly it's something to do with how it calls the physics for weapons firing and also the leftovers from weapons effects, including pre-placed things so when those do the patented Bethesda item jiggle or whatever it'll immediately crash just because you got close enough to have it activate.

Some people say they had luck by turning down visual effects, but I disabled Fallout 4's use of PhysX for the card in the control panel. Problem solved!

(Horizon + Sim Settlements + Conqueror + Start Me Up + NPCs Travel + additional encounters and worldspace elements, I'm wandering around an FO4 that can surprise me)

You can also avoid it by just unchecking the 'weapon debris' option in the start menu

I was having a consistent crash at the first place this happens, the bridge in Sanctuary that leads to the vault during the tutorial. Turned that option off and it hasn't been an issue since.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

It turned out to be the horizon weapon pack that was breaking things, dropped that, started again and had no crashes since.

3d scopes is https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9476

Yeah the weapon pack is wildly out of date at this point.

Horizon has a ton of abandoned patches and add-ons from over the years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Opals25 posted:

I think some comments earlier were saying Horizon likely had a new version coming out pretty soon didn't it? Maybe I'll just wait for that to drop haha

It's had a new version coming soon for like six months at this point and the author is mostly radio silent. Might as well jump in now