Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Is it only full moons? I was wondering if there was some trick to which nights have a star fall.

The moon guy say that the moon feels like it's going to fall when the moon is in it's full phase. I'm pretty sure the star fragments only fall during a full moon.

Speaking of, from my notes, here are the phases of the moon (from the moon guy):

New moon
Crescent moon
7 day moon
13 day moon
Full moon
Less than full
Three-quarters moon
26 day moon
New moon

Edit: Just beat the game today. Probably found 100 shrines on my own, and looked up the rest at various points. 130ish seeds and have all sets of armor upgraded to the max, except the circlets and the ancient armor hat (I ran out of star fragments).

Lynels are an absolute joke once you get their pattern down. They are still tremendous fights, along with all of the other minibosses.

What a fantastic game. (how do you check your total time played?)

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does anyone actually use the elemental wands as weapons? I've been carrying them around thinking they're important, but I've only been using them to transform chu jelly and got some use out of an ice rod during the Goron shrine runup (all the fire lizalfos archers basically disappear on a swing of the ice rod).

I carried around a few at various points in the game, thinking they would be useful.

I used one in my first major test of strength before I really understood the mechanics behind that fight.

Outside of that? I didn't feel that they were really worth the inventory slot.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

siggy2021 posted:

Is any of the jewelry you can buy worth it? I'm debating on chucking some of the gems I've been hording for rupees since they all seem to just grant the same thing other armor sets give you and you miss out on set bonuses.

They were worth it for me, because I ended up getting access to them very early on in the game. At the end of the game, they are worthless, because they are outclassed by the armor sets which do the same thing, and contribute towards a set bonus.

The amber earrings are the only exception, if you're stacking armor for a hard fight. They are very easy to upgrade.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1WEowGA68k ^ ^ ^

RCarr posted:

Is there a reward for completing the compendium? Anything at all?

Yes.

You get a envelope with a picture inside of it. The picture, refers to either impa or pura, but you can't see the actual picture, and anyone (read: the internet) doesn't really know what it's used for at this point.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Someone earlier in the thread (or maybe it was on gamefaqs :v:) suggested that you don't need to carry more than 30x of any monster part, and that's a really good rule of thumb for pretty much everything. Never sell ancient parts. In a pinch, if you are super hard up for money, sell gems that you have more than 15-20 of. Having beat the game, it was very, very good advice.

It also allows you to have some sort of meaningful rupee supply for buying things as the game progresses, since you're not hoarding literally everything for a potential use down the road.

The only things you want to have more than 30x of are items that are pretty easy to get, and only if you want to upgrade things to the max level. Those being amber and bokogoblin guys for the **** Upgrade Hylian Clothing set.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I'm sure that anyone with a functioning google-fu can find this, but in the spoiler box below is a link (no pun intended) to an annotated map, which basically contains every seed/miniboss/shrine/memory/etc and how to get each seed once you get there. It's pretty :spergin:

CLICK AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-interactive-map/

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lemming posted:

And to make sure your inner child is completely dead, here's a diagram of precisely where to stab

To be fair, to get some of the seeds, you have to do some very specific things and know exactly what you're looking for. Admittedly, there are a gently caress ton of them, so even if you get stuck on a few, there are countless others to get. I used the map for shrine clean up after I was basically done with the game. :smith:

Xaris posted:

Is it possible to tell the Shrines that you've activated vs Shrines that you've got the Spirit Orb from somehow? They appear to be the same on my map though I may be missing some little detail somewhere. I know they show a Treasure Chest next to them if you got all the treasure inside which I guess is a close enough metric.

Also is it only possible to tell what % you are at after you beat the game? Mostly just curious to know how much I've done already but it's not a big deal.

Shrines that you have activated but not completed have orange centres (along with in-game they have blue bases but orange shikah symbols at the top).

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 21, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lemming posted:

It's ok, robots don't have an inner child

:mitt:

gypsyshred posted:

I'm trying to explore Death Mountain. I bought the elixers, found the miners, found 8 lizards, but then my elixers ran out. No worries, I thought, I'll just buy more. But now that vendor isn't offering any more. Is there another place to buy them?

You could always make the fireproof elixirs yourself. You have the materials!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

gypsyshred posted:

Whats the recipe? Lizard+___?

Also, while you're at the southern mine, make sure you talk to everyone. There's a fellow traveller whom you might want to make his acquaintance.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I'm looking to upgrade all the armor to the max. Is there a good place to farm the following:

Yellow Lizalfos, Red Lizalfos, Swift Violets, Smotherwing Butterflies, Hearty Bass, and Stealthfin Trout

I'll assume you have the ability to track each of these things, which makes it infinitely easier

Yellow Lizalfos - Gueredo Desert, they are everywhere
Red Lizalfos - There are a few in the higher elevations around the goron city. There are a bunch right by the city, but they are all on platforms, and usually you knock them into the lava when you kill them. Very frustrating.
Swift Violets - The waterfall behind the shrine next to Dueling Peaks stables has a good concentration of them.
Smotherwing Butterflies - Around Goron City
Hearty Bass - Do a circuit around central hyrule's waterways, you should be able to get all that you need in 1-2 circuits
Stealthfin Trout - The lake around Great Hyrule Forest - this should take you all of 10 minutes to get all 30 fish you need. There are also a few in the pond by the Kuhn Sidajj Shrine.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I use cryonis for it's God intended purpose: Crossing large bodies of water, instead of wasting an inventory slot on a korok leaf to blow rafts around. :suicide:

RCarr posted:

Question about the coliseum:

Is there a reward? I beat the silver lynel, plus all the enemies along the way to the top. The two chests there had 5 bomb arrows and an amber... :raise: I was expecting something good. Did I miss something?

Sometimes, violence is it's own reward. :colbert:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Spergatory posted:

The reward is a full set of elemental weapons from all three elements that restocks every blood moon. I didn't even know there were chests at the top.

Oh poo poo. I was just farming the lynel.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ I had this problem too, so I sort of gave up and looked up where a fairy was. :smith: ^ ^ ^

What, what? You're supposed to use cryonis on that section of that boss?

God loving dammit!

(I had a ton of fun using arrows to shoot that poo poo out of the sky though. I did wonder why the game expected you to have 30+ arrows to get past a section though...)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

I am trying to tie up some loose ends before I finish the game, and one that's been bothering me is that I remember seeing a large, wafting, blue / green glow coming from a mountain top relatively early in the game. I think I tagged it and then accidentally deleted it at some point. Does this sound familiar? Does anyone happen to know what this may be?

You're looking for satori mountain. Make sure you have your camera ready. It's right by the ridgeland tower or mogg latan shrine

Also, no you can't save him as a regular mount.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Also I'm glad snow bowling exists else I'd run out of gems I use for upgrading Links jewelry collection when my hyrule should breaks or I wanted the 10k great fairy. Any other big money sinks?

Armor sets are a decent money sink too. Pictures, depending on your level of :spergin:, too.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I was explaining why this game is so good, and it's precisely because it goes out of it's way to break the LTTP Zelda Ur-mold. While it is lovely to lose dungeons, I think the absolute stunning breadth of experience is more than made up for it. The fact that you have multiple solutions to presented problems is tremendous, and it's a real shame to think that some people don't like this game because it isn't Zelda enough.

At the end of the day, it all depends on what you value in the Zelda experience. Is it 3 dungeons, followed by 6 more (or some numerical variation therein), with a specific item that's used to beat the dungeon and it's boss, or is it the sense of exploration and adventure you get by exploring the unknown?

Some people want the former, and I did too, until I played BoTW. Now I realize I liked the Zelda games for the sense of exploration and wonder, not the rote repetition of a system created in 1986 (and perfected in 1991).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fortis posted:

I get why they made it this way, but it's pretty annoying that I can't dye the Champion's Tunic. I've read that it's possible to dye the Armor of the Wild but can anyone who actually got it confirm? I've only read that in exactly one place. I'm not sure where I want to go with my final fashion choices but I want to know if I can at least see if I can approximate an LttP Blue Mail sort of look.

Because I'm a giant nerd, I dyed it blue until I could upgrade it to max level, then dyed it red, and used it to beat gannon, just like I did for the Original Legend of Zelda. :kimchi:

BigRed0427 posted:

I've been trying to get some Faron Horns off the dragon that lives in Haylia lake. Where am I suppose to aim on the dragon and what's the best method for farming them.

So, you'll want to start at the lake tower. From there, parachute north-northeast and land on the battlement (the highest point in the lake area, it's hard to miss) of the lake hylia bridge. Set a campfire and wait until night. As Faron gets close, you should be able to see (or hear) the wind pick up, and when he's close to your position, jump off the battlement. There should be a draft that carries you which allows you to float near him. Aim for the horn, and with the slow motion bonus, it shouldn't be that difficult to actually tag the horn - don't forget to account for arrow drop due to the distance. You might be aiming for the horn, but actually hitting another part of the body due to the distance.

Repeat ad nauseam for the number of things you need.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 22, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I found this creepy rear end pond at the top of a mountain with a bunch of ghost animals just staring at me. Am I supposed to do something specific here?

Did you see the horse-like looking motherfucker? What do you think you can do with something that looks like a horse?

EDIT: Can we talk about how awesome the soundtrack is? And how the piano as main instrument really contributes to the loneliness of the journey of the game? Or how the little bits of previous themes that creep in - Death mountain, overworld, etc - are like hazy memories of a distant age, which also contributes to the overall feeling of how things have gone to poo poo?

:spergin:

Double EDIT: http://apptrigger.com/2017/03/12/breath-of-the-wild-musical-nostalgia/ some more :spergin: here.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 23, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I wish the upgrade statues were marked on the map after you find them.

The upgrade statues are located in every town + every spring.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope they fix the sheikah sensor at some point. When the thing is going nuts and beeping like crazy and the whole thing is lit up, I shouldn't still be half a mile away from the butterfly that hasn't even spawned in yet. I'm trying to collect smotherwings and my sensor gets a hit so I hone in on which direction it is. Then I'm crouching slowly towards where I think it is and I get a constant loud beeping for minutes at a time with no drat butterflies. They need to quiet that beeping down a bunch too, holy poo poo that's annoying. Or just get rid of it entirely. I can make do with the symbol in the corner.

For butterflies specifically, the things are probably above you floating in space. They were very annoying to farm.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Surely a cutscenes of it coming out of the ground would have played. Also if i step off the platform it turns orange again.

Maybe you didn't do the sequence properly? That sounds like a bug :smith:.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Motto posted:

I'm pretty sure guardians have a weakspot on their underside if they happen to get flipped after chopping their limbs, but I've gone all-in on parrying so I dunno how effective that is.

You flip them with bombs. :torgue:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

I decided to go for my next divine beast last night, so I figured I'd finally try to climb death mountain. I'd never spent any time there. As usual, I forgot that this game doesn't really want you to "quickly" do anything if you're going through a new area you haven't explored. So instead I only made it about halfway up, and spent two hours or so just exploring, getting gems and koroks, two shrines, and killing baddies. It's really refreshing to be so far in a game and still feel encouraged and rewarded for taking some time to just gently caress around and explore.

My horse did burn to death though :smith: RIP Epona v.1

Death is not the end. You will see your horse again. Have faith.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Botw is a really grim game, papered over by bright colours and cheery art direction.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I thought there would be something special if I killed bosses with the Master Sword as well, but in the end, you still have a tremendous asskicking weapon that looks loving rad as hell when you whip it out for the gannon fight, as it blinks on :hellyeah: so I don't really feel as bad for there not being too many plot hooks for having it/not having it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's perfect for cutting down trees.

I think you mean smashing rocks for valuable ores.

(Sorry to the Kokoroks, who said expressly not to do that sort of stuff :smith:)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Where would I find heat resist armor or something I can craft for heat resist?

Your Journey begins at the Kara kara bazaar, as you need to find a way into Gerudo City.

If you're looking for Flame Resistant Armor, head towards death mountain.

comingafteryouall posted:

If you try to pull out the sword a second time without enough hearts, do you actually die?

yes

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

gently caress farming for fallen stars, what does the armor of the Hero set bonus do (the 8-bit link amiibo costume)

+damage on your master sword beam

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

i wonder how far that goes. I wish those descriptions were a little more descriptive of the boost it gives.

From what I've read, default is 10, boosted is 24. It's a pretty :geno: upgrade.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Do you have the "Yip Yip" bit they do at the end? I find it much more :3:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CrashCat posted:

My mistake, it was 16 :unsmigghh:

Well beaten but now you have an obnoxious huge shot of it

I'm glad that you dyed your bandanna blue like I did. The red colour did nothing for me.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

AlexJade posted:

I keep seeing this swirls of light color butterflies in places. Do you do anything with those?

Run up and examine them (with the A button). Yahaha!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Just got this today. Loving it so far, aside from re-learning some controls.

Question about materials: Is there a decent guide anywhere for them? Like, which ones can I just sell without worrying? What should I horde? Should I hang onto a certain amount of others? Stuff like that.

A good rule of thumb is if you can't jam it in your face to eat, keep 30 of that thing around (you will be collecting a lot of things). Health consumables come and go, you can use/sell those as you see fit, and everything else you have more than 30 of, you can sell for profit.

Advanced technique: Make elixirs with monster parts - 1x active ingredient+4x most expensive monster part you want to get rid of makes really good money, from what I understand.
I did not use the advanced technique, and I still literally never wanted for money in the game.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

Has anyone tried the Pro Controller? Is it any better? $70 for a loving controller is a little ridiculous though...

I pretty much used the pro controller exclusively, save for when I was using the switch in portable mode (on the toilet, like God intended).

The pro controller is waaaaaaaaay more comfortable and better laid out than the joycons, sadly. In a game that requires a bit of dexterity (controlling the camera and attacks with the same hand, for instance) the right joycon can feel a little cramped.

IGN or some other dumb website recommended it (along with turning the HUD to pro mode, so they're not entirely stupid), and having had the opportunity to use both, I prefer the pro controller.

Is it worth $70 of comfort? That's a much harder thing to justify. It's better, no doubt. It's just a question of justifying the buy in.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

Damnit, now I need to figure out a way to hide a $70 purchase for a new controller from the wife :ninja:

And then figure out a way to have the kids not immediately rat me out for purchase of said new controller...

I saw the IGN recommendation of turning HUD to pro mode, which I did and I do like the full screen feel to it and it really does draw you more into the game I feel like.

Reading that bit about turning off the HUD made the game way better for me, and I recommend it to everyone who isn't speedrunning the game. It makes a very good exploration game that much better, because while you have goals to accomplish, you're not gluing your eyes to the minimap to get to where you're going. You're actually engaged in the environment, and you see all of the little things that the Devs put into the game to distract you from the big picture (which is loving awesome).

Good luck on your pro controller purchase. :kimchi:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone know how I can equip the monster saddle?

Go to one of the stables that allows you to change out your horse gear (and mane :3:). Not all stables allow you to switch out that stuff.

The stable where you can do the time trial with jumping over gates has one. She's off to the right as you look at the entrance to the stables. She has a dumb hat.

Make sure your horse loves you though. I think that's like 80+ bond, max bond works, guaranteed.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Too fat, you mean. (apparently he's as fast as a **** dude, but I don't believe that.)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

In the jaws of the dragon.

A jungle dragon...or is it a jungle that looks like a dragon?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

So, I can't do this because I loaned my switch to a friend, but the thread has a new side quest:

http://i.imgur.com/HP1hMZxh.gif

AIRSHIP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is it weird that I think Breath of the Wild Link looks kinda wrong in green? None of the amiibo green outfits look quite right on him, nor does the Hero of the Wild set.

I really like the blue Champion's Tunic look. It just fits a lot better in this game somehow.

It's the short pants that make it look really comical, to me. Although it is more in line with his representation in LoZ for the NES.

As an aside, there's a reason Link doesn't have a hat in this game: The Devs thought it looked stupid: http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/10/14869766/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-link-hat.

I thought it looked fine.