Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I never really expected my childhood dream of "It's Legend of Zelda but, also, also all my other favorite games, and it's going to be super good" to come true, but here we are. BRB, I need to make a time machine so I can tell my seven year old self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You were a wiser man than I, evilmiera.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I want to be called the Nintendo eXtreme Entertainment System to be very 90's.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Starhawk64 posted:

Time-fuckery is pretty cliche by now. What I want since this is basically a re-imagining of the NES Zelda is either caves inhabited by survivors or small ramshackle communities ala Fallout. This is supposed to be a post apocalyptic Hyrule, right?

It might be pre-apoclypse actually.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Are there really that many bad ones? I think most open world games are kinda fun.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think Watch_Dogs squandered a lot of goodwill toward open world games by promising the moon, and then making GBS threads on our lawns.

Honestly that is on people expecting too much. I kinda knew that it'd be exactly what it was, except I did expect it to look maybe a tad better than what it did, but I wasn't hugely disappointed.

Except that I expected to play as a hacker, not an autistic uncle working part-time IT thinking he is batman and getting involved in underground like a retard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

:3: I have to find a Wolf Link Amiibo now

Bought a collectors edition just for this. I might remind myself of why I liked Twilight Princess at the same time, because I didn't think it was more terrible than Ocarina of Time. Heck, I put it after A Link to the Past as favorite Zeldas.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Davoren posted:

Lots of people are saying they are buying the collectors edition to get wolf link, which is making me slightly paranoid that the amiibo itself which I just bought off ebay won't be the right thing for some reason.

I did that just because I wanted the amiibo and because I figured why not also get the game as both are the price of a steal.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Little did you know it was actually F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Probably a main boss.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I for one am glad an official timeline exists, because we no longer have to contend with fan-timelines.

I'm pretty sure the only ones salty about it were the ones who had their favorite timeline invalidated.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BillmasterCozb posted:

i mean, everyone hated a certain upcoming metroid game after a 30 second trailer

I am actually looking forward to it.

Can't be as bad as Other M at any rate.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Twilight Princess was the better game, but only if you played the GameCube version, Christ people.

Left-handed Link are always the best Link.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I remember liking Twilight Princess for what it was when it came out.

I particularly liked how Link strived to be a hero for his little village.

I felt legit good when he saved that girl in the cowboy town.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I bought this with the Switch, I wasn't really expecting the world after Skyward Sword though.

Let me preface this with A Link to the Past being my favorite Zelda to throw you off from how I feel about the rest of this game. I don't have any controller issues with the game (albeit I have occasionally lost connection with my right hand controller at times, which has been a minor nuisance) and wow, I really *loathe* weapon degradation systems. They cheapen the rewards the game gives you and if it offers a way to remove it (at the cost of making weapons rarer) I'd take it in a second.

Yet, I am really in love with the rest of the game. It is astounding how much it just gets right, that I frankly wasn't expecting from Nintendo. Zelda's constant struggle to do things right, the way you are both just kinda trying to stay true to a legend you might have heard is true, how it's all taking place after you lost and you just have to sort of take down the bad guy after he already won, it's great!

I don't have a problem with the dungeons, because actually, how we define dungeons is all wrong. People probably go into Zora's domain and think "well, this is just part of the overworld, ho-hum, can't wait to get to the actual dungeon", never realizing that they've already stepped into it. All the way going from where you are forced to abandon your horse until you fight the boss *is* the dungeon. It's a dungeon designed around their decisions for how items and weapons work. It's a dungeon with no roof, which is why I think people are confused. The animal itself? That's just the final puzzle of the dungeon (and there's more after it too)

Thinking about it in terms of each zone being it's own dungeon is going to make a lot more sense for people unhappy with the length, I think.

After all, every dungeon in the original LoZ was as big as the overworld, it just played a trick with the mind to appear smaller.

The same is true of Breath of the Wild. It's a good game. Flawed, but good.

Excuse me while I repair my Zora spear again.

PS; Cook 5 big radishes together and thank me later.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The inability to craft arrows frustrated me early on and then suddenly I was hoarding a hundred arrows, never using my knight bow. (Just in case)

I wish it least every weapon type had an indestructible type as a reward from the trials, that'd make it feel like an actual reward rather than hang it up in my house.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm more unclear on what sets do, honestly. Also I prefer using the heavy armor with the Hylian hood. It's very stylish.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Since I worded my displeasure over the weapon degradation system earlier, I guess I'll go into it a bit more, especially for why I still think it's a bad thing, given everything everyone else says is correct.

Yes, thinking of the weapons as disposable doesn't inherently hurt the game. Being unaware how much longer a weapon has before it breaks is a bit of a deal-breaker for me to accept this thing. Thinking of it as a gun that eventually runs out of ammunition doesn't jive, because a) I know how much ammunition I have in my weapon and b) I don't throw the gun away when I spent all my bullets. It's a flawed analogy, even if I accept at face value what you are getting it.

Being willing to experiment with other weapons is truly a neat thing. I found myself switching between spears and longswords a lot. I have issues with greatswords. Axes can at least chop down trees thematically. The inherent nature of the weapons breaking isn't my sour point. All swords throughout ages were brittle things that survived maybe 1-2 clashes before being discarded or its owner being dead. Frailty of man and all that.

No, my big issue is that we have these trials, combat challenges, where the reward often is another weapon and that's supposed to be a moment of triumph, where you get a reward, but it being something that can break and you have no track of how long until you divorce it is something that diminishes the value of it as a reward. I appreciated the climbing cloth a lot more because I knew it wouldn't break. I can accept the weapons, even the ones that the ancient ones drop, breaking. I find it tough to argue that your reward is a weapon, like a firesword that will end up breaking.

It cheapens it. I wouldn't mind if all they did was add a few more unbreakable weapons as these rewards. Outside of these situations, breakable weapons is something I am a-okay with.

Anyway, that is my rant.

Back to the game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone messed around with modding in this game? I saw some people playing with a Linkle mod on twitter, but all is there any quality of life additions?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If you are doing the Korok thing, Zeldamaps.com is almost a necessity.

If you are zoomed all the way in on your map on your console, the korok seed icons you've done show up. So then I recommend you activate hero mode and trace your steps and note down where you've collected them, but also notice where you haven't been.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
2 years later and people are still talking about the seeds.

I just got all of the memories, is there a way to re-watch them in the game?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

What do you think the half-life of talking points is

It's none because there's always new people talking about them

I didn't mean that to be a complaint about posting. I think it's an indication of a controversial mechanic that needs reexamination.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's just such a wake up call when Nintendo in their first attempt outdoes veterans of open world design so hardcore.

Skyrim just doesn't hold a candle to it. Not just bug-wise, but how everything in its design is made to complement a style of play, from shrines to sidequests to koroks, there's hardly anything wasted or anything that feels lacking in comparison. It does help that cooking is actually a complete mechanic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

Is there a cheat to get like an extra five weapon slots immediately at start? That's the only thing that would be legitimately useful, the rest of the exploits I've seen posted just look like fun

R1 is an underused button.

But seriously, hoarding weapons is a bit of a problem, but early on you should really just focus on knocking moblins on their asses, take their weapons and beat them up with them or use the environment to beat them up. I would honestly not mind if the durability of weapons was a bit better though, picking up a rusted sword makes kinda sense that it'd break after a fight or two, but for a perfectly fine knights blade to crack soon after just feels a bit off.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I found that using fire arrow and ice arrows kill wizrobes in one hit, at least the ice and fire ones. Not sure what can take out the lightning one.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Buying Zelda games is a no brainer imo.

But it totally understand people buying too much crap these days and have to be selective in their purchases.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Playing ALTTP randomized or watching speedrunners play it is pretty fantastic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Bomb arrows is a callback to the OG, you could equip bombs and arrows at the same time and a programming glitch made feature allowed you to fire them.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

Untrue, that was definitely intentional.

(from here https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Bomb_Arrow)

I must have misremembered an urban myth about that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This crane game is way fairer than any UFO catcher in Japan.

I'd actually like a remake of Zelda 1 in this engine. It seems almost a natural fit as a minigame for this game. That or ALTTP with randomizer built into it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You can kinda cheese it by figuring out the rhythm and start tapping the button just before it flips back, it can be crucial for pulling the fish in closer.

Bloopers, just be careful of them breaking the surface.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I figured that in the sixth dungeon, but it saved my rear end in the seventh, even if the only thing I got stuck on was a bombable wall.

I was really trying to find a way to fall down there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Marin deserved better.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
While I was playing Link's Awakening, I was thinking about how the engine was pretty much perfect for a LoZ remake with minimal changes.

It is worth pointing out that Zelda 1 is kind of boring. I mean I love it, but it's more a like of a relic and the sense of adventure and exploration.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Have to do it on the spot where the walrus sat his fat rear end in the way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Spin attacks hurt him, by the way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I love that A Link to the Past is supposed to be a time-traveling story, but instead it became a story about switching between a negative world and positive world.

There's still some things still in the game that give away that it was the theme at a point.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Ooh, like what? Supposedly that was going to be the thing in Zelda 1 too.

Blind the thief, how the dark world is basically the light world, but decrepit, with landmarks worn down and bridges being broken and impassable. The layout of village of outcast being basically overrun with thieves and ghosts.

It's very easy to see how a lot of things are present-future elements.

Of course I have no idea when it was dropped for the two worlds concept instead. The game title in Japanese do not have the back to the future implication though. I think the problem they had was how to work the time travel gimmick in, but the way you transport to an equal spot in the other world also seems like a time travel gimmick that was adopted.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m at 42 shells and the 7th dungeon. gently caress this dungeon. I knocked down three of the pillars, and have no idea how to get to the fourth. I’ve gotten pretty lucky that this is the first time that I’ve felt stonewalled.

Bomb the wall to the North of the fourth pillar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The crane game in LA Switch is for babies. Just put the light above the thing you want, and move to the item on the platforms when it moves away from where you plan to stop.

Easiest way to get money.

Sadly new figures only unlock after each dungeon, and there is no reward for collecting them all.