Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think what I'm digging the most is that this one is a lot more anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Played about 3 hours last night, here is a post about game.

I didn't follow any news about this game before buying it. Literally none, all I knew was that it was the new Obsidian RTwP game and that's all I need. So basically everything about it was a surprise.

I manually played through the intro (of course) and I feel like I made some pretty schizophrenic choices. I'm trying to play as a guy who is disillusioned with the system and wants to tear it down. I hope the game lets me do this! I don't want to be evil.

I'm playing Dual Wield/Lightning Magic. Both seem good so I haven't been gripped by the urge to restart again yet, which is super rare. I started PoE like 5 times before I got out of Gilded Vale.

The art style is absolutely fantastic. I actually love the character portraits and how they react.

The game is optimized! Holy poo poo! PoE chugs a little bit (which is insane to me because I'm running it on a laptop that's only 3 years old) but so far this game is running very smooth, even when spell effects go flying. That's great!

The roleplaying and story and world are super top notch. This exact analogy has probably already been said but this feels like the Torment to PoE's Icewind Dale, kinda. Maybe that's a bit unfair to PoE but not really.

Gonna go play some more before work.

Oh also I'm glad Obsidian or whoever was able to make the choice to put the price at $45 though I would have paid more gladly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Quest timers are the worst. Why put a time limit on a quest noooooo

Should I do the first main quest ASAP so everyone doesn't die or can I do some sidequests first? 8 days doesn't seem very long.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For the quest at the beginning to find the Iron Shipment in the town of Echoing Whatever, how do I get that town to uh show up on my map?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spikeguy posted:

So on my first playthrough I went with the Chorus. What a bag of dicks. I'm toughing it out but I can't wait for a 2nd playthrough to gently caress them over.

Everyone in this game is dicks

I hate everyone except Verse, Eb, Barik and Lantry. Obsidian seemed almost comically eager to make you like every party member but it worked on me so that's fine. Though to be honest it wouldn't have killed them to have made Barik as awful and evil as he looks/smells instead of Another Level-Headed Bro

e: I am not very far, but it doesn't seem likely that anyone will stop being dicks anytime soon

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oasx posted:

If you liked Pillars of Eternity then you will love Tyranny, in terms of gameplay they are very similar but Tyranny improves upon a lot of the things that Pillars did well.

Yeah like I said before, Tyranny is basically the Torment to PoE's Icewind Dale/Baldur's Gate.

e: I restarted and took Sword and Shield and Two Handed so I could have two Talents that work with any weapon, and then took the story choice that gives you the Fire sigil. I don't feel too bad about scumming this way because that story choice actually lined up with how I wanted to roleplay anyway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

This is a very serious and grown-up game for adulty-dults. :colbert:

Someone post a screenshot of the "Oh wait, I have a message right here..." and then she gives you "the local hand gesture for penis".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DancingShade posted:

People that think adults don't actually do that sort of thing all the time aren't actually adults, or have very limited real world experience.

Adult doesn't mean highbrow folks.

What? I know adults do things like that all the time, but that's not what anyone was talking about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basic Chunnel posted:

The only reason Tyranny might give older PCs trouble would be spell effects, which are numerous and constant. But PoE comported itself well on my 3-year-old laptop and I fail to see how this would be radically different.

Tyranny actually runs a LOT better than PoE on the 3-year-old laptop we have.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dialogue trees would be improved if every single one of them had [Glare Silently] as an option and also an added "I'm kind of a big deal." option.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Voices of Nerat is the kind of stupid dumb retarded Chaotic Neutral rear end in a top hat that I thought Obsidian were better than writing. I mean his actual dialogue is well written but his entire character is just the worst.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vermain posted:

He's basically Magical Joker, right down to being voiced by a very convincing Mark Hamill impersonator.

Holy poo poo, you're right.

Realizing that kind of makes me like him a little more, not gonna lie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a little weird seeing some of the same people that hated Jack in ME2 saying they like Verse. I mean compared to Verse, Jack is a loving saint.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JT Jag posted:

Also, and I think this is the most important part, Verse doesn't show up wearing a preposterous lack of clothing.

Miranda wearing a suit so tight it literally goes up her rear end was much worse than "this character has a shitload of tattoos and wears an outfit to show them off".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dolash posted:

Edit: Can anything come of (Lantry background spoiler)discovering Lantry joined the Sages as a Scarlet Chorus agent? It hardly does him any good considering he fails his mission of getting them to surrender and it doesn't spare him if you feed him to Nerat in Act One, but it seems like a bit of a bombshell and normally I'd figure it'd play into some story about him being a fraud or deceitful but it ended up just being some trivia.

I just got to that point in my playthrough and the complete and utter nonchalance with which he drops that truth bomb was jarring as gently caress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hold on, I've been nice to the Rebels every time I've encountered them, but I'm in Act 2 and the game thinks I "sided with the Chorus" despite having almost as much Wrath as Loyalty with them and everyone involved with them, are you really telling me that I will be locked into killing all the rebels I encounter from now on because that is extreme ultimate bullshit. I even let that one rebel leader go and convinced Tunon it was a good idea!

Come on!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zore posted:

You led the chorus to slaughter a good chunk of their leaders. So yeah, they're not gonna work with you.

I don't recall being given a choice.

e: from what others have said, is it also really true that now that I'm "locked in" to the Chorus path, I can't call them out on their bullshit or dismiss them without getting "locked in" to the Independent path? THIS THEOCRACY MAKES NO SENSE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zore posted:

You have the ability to join the rebels in act 1.

Why can't I reject the Chorus and the Disfavored both on purely pragmatic grounds (they're not doing their drat job) and help the Rebels without "joining" them (a country full of dead people is no use to Kyros)? My understanding is that the only way to do this is literally to say "gently caress Kyros, I'm taking over" which I also don't want to do.

Kontradaz posted:

I've been playing Act 2 for the longest time, this game has plenty of content and feels pretty fleshed out - I don't think I would mind a short last act at all given how much stuff happens before. Did some of you guys complaining about length and lack of areas bulldoze past Act 2?

It took me 16 hours to finish Act 1. I assume people who say they beat it in 24 hours aren't reading anything, because I'm skimming a lot as it is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Android Blues posted:

The problem isn't that you can't side with the rebels in Act 2, it's that the game assumes your character is now a fanatical devotee of whichever of the two evil factions you picked, and unless you betray them at one of the arbitrarily chosen opportunities the game gives you, you'll be forced to follow their exact agenda to the letter for the entire act. It's garbage.

Example: I sided with the Chorus at the end of Act 1, not because I particularly liked them, but because I thought they'd do a better job leading the attack. When they send you to the Burning Library in Act 2, you get a chance to [Betray Alliance] at the start of the quest and aggro their entire camp, or go into the ruins and look for the Silent Archive. I figured I didn't want Nerat getting his hands on the Silent Archive, but it also didn't make a lot of sense to time my betrayal so poorly, so I'd go in, get it, and then betray the Chorus once I had it for sure.

You can go in, kill all the Choirmen in the ruins, get the Archive...and then when you leave, you have an unavoidable conversation with the Censor where you have a series of non-branching "yep, it sure is great we got this forbidden illegal knowledge for the Scarlet Chorus" choices (literally just 1. on the dialogue tree with no further options), which always ends with you giving her the knowledge in the Archive to give to Nerat. There is no option to say "no, I don't want you to have this", or even mention that it would be a violation of Kyros' Law to give this to Nerat. It's shockingly bad, and the complete opposite of what I'd expect from Obsidian. Even the crummiest of narrative RPGs would usually let you say, like, "You die now. [Attack]" at that juncture.

Holy poo poo, that is really bad and exactly the kind of thing I was starting to get mad about.

Wiping your level of Favor with the faction you didn't back is also pointless bullshit, since backing that faction literally comes down to simply who you think should go into one battle first.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
But I mean, why bother having separate meters for Favor and Fear that can both be filled at the same time if you're going to completely wipe one of them at the end of Act 1? It feels cheap. At the end of Act 1 I had like level 4 Favor and level 2 Wrath with the Dishonored, and levels 4/3 with the Chorus. Like why even have a Reputation meter for those two if you're going to step in and undo all that work based on one single choice that doesn't seem, at the time, to even be that big of a deal (I sent the Chorus in first because they're expendable, not because I like them).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zore posted:

The permutations are insanely unreasonable. At some point you have to realize its a loving video game not a dude in your house who can change the story wholecloth if you decide to go schizophrenic murderhobo.

Like goddamn.

When a studio with the reputation of Obsidian makes a game with a harshly defined "Red path" and "Blue path" it seems reasonable to expect them to account for players who want to work with both - especially since that's What Kyros Would Do. Instead they only accounted for people who want to say "gently caress you both", from what I'm hearing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Greaseman posted:

It's not unaccounted for. You can attempt to say "Nope you both need to work together", and they go "No". That may not be the outcome you wanted, but it's there and shows that your hand is being forced.

Right but the player making a choice should not necessarily be conflated with the character making that choice. The game makes the mistake of assigning the character motives at times without any input from the player, which at least seems to fly in the face of the whole point of making the PC so malleable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zore posted:

I mean, you have to do that at some point or it becomes literally impossible to write a coherent story. I don't expect any game ever to let me wholly decide the entirety of a character's motivations because holy poo poo that would be insane.

Well I just think in this game it's done at times and in ways that are kind of really bad, and from what I understand I haven't even gotten to the worst of it yet.

Like I said, I "chose" the Chorus because they're expendable shitstains and Kyros needs elite Disfavored to stay alive. That seems like it's pretty consistent with the design and setting of the game. Are you really defending that Obsidian decided to use that choice - without any consideration for anything else you've done in Act 1 - to make me the supreme trusted ally of the Chorus and reset me back to literally zero Favor with the Disfavored? Sure, reset me to zero Favor with Graven Ashe, that makes sense, but what about all the Disfavored I've been nice to up to then?

Yeah yeah I know "Graven Ashe IS the Disfavored" but that's weak.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zore posted:

They literally go to war in that cutscene, with the Archons actually trying to murder each other, the armies killing each other, and you don't get why the one you don't back hates you.

I get why Voices or Ashe would hate the PC, and maybe even why "literally the entire army" of that side hates me, but what I really don't understand is why the side that doesn't hate me thinks I love them. I made a ton of pro-Disfavored decisions in Conquest and Act 1, so it seems really cheap to handwave all that away because of one choice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Android Blues posted:

Also, yeah, the binary choice at the end of Act 1 means that literally all the choices about the Disfavored and the Scarlet Chorus you've made up to that point, outside of Conquest stuff, were meaningless set dressing. The game shows you a complicated reputation system, lets you build rep with one camp or the other for 4 - 6 hours, and then goes "psyche! None of what you just did mattered at all, even a little tiny bit!" and sets it to One Faction - LOTS Other Faction - NONE. It is a terrible way to showcase a mechanic.

Thank you, that's what I've been trying to say. They may as well have said that Act 1 was a Prologue and asked "Do you want to play the Prologue or skip it?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CommissarMega posted:

Hell, I don't think the Voices trusts himself, no joke.

I've already encountered several times where he explicitly hints as much to you.

Kontradaz posted:

I don't think these goons believe in irreversible decisions, it doesn't compute for them. Games that don't let you do everything and join every faction and see every location in one playthrough are flawed in their eyes.

Zore posted:

Yeah, people always bitch there aren't 'real consequences' for your actions. And then when there are they bitch they can't do everything and change their mind at any time and also the game should account for the fact my character is actually :goonsay:

Both of you are engaging in ad hominem, do you really think that's the best way to have this conversation? And since I'm one of the people that kicked this off today, I'll also amend that neither of you are actually even paying attention to what I'm saying, so you're also doing Reducto Ad Absurdum. C'mon now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Midnight Voyager posted:

Nerat ate his son's brain. It is a fate worse than death. You are allying with the guy who ate his son. He's the guy all the Disfavored super love to the point where his caring about them heals mortal wounds. You are allying with the guy who ate their super beloved commander's son.

It's not that weak, it makes total sense.

Did... did you even read what I said? It definitely makes sense to reset Graven Ashe's Favor to zero, but it seems arbitrary to reset Favor with everyone else in the army, especially since the first thing you say there is a thing that even Tunon doesn't know until you tell him.

And also, why reset Favor to zero for the faction you don't choose, but not reset Fear for the faction you do choose? The Favor/Fear system seems to promise you that it will be a system that makes sense (maybe the only one in the metagame) but then, instead of just giving you a ton of Favor loss, it just resets. I had like level 5 Favor with the Disfavored, knock me back to level 1 or something but just setting it back to zero feels like Obsidian cheating.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Roobanguy posted:

it makes complete sense it resets the defavored favor to zero. they literally idolize the dude, and if he says you're an enemy than by god you're an enemy. e: misread this part.

No, it makes sense to give you a massive hit to Favor, not to put the developer's hand on the scale.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So what I'm getting from those posts is that the PC of this game is literally the only servant of an Archon who has any free will at all?

The way the system works, [Insufficient Reputation] seems to gate every character with an affiliation behind a wall, which isn't exactly fun. It would be nice if it were possible to pick the Disfavored all throughout Conquest and every part of Act 1 except the final choice and have a few Disfavored you meet be like "Oh hey, it's the guy everyone hates, personally I always thought you sounded alright, one decision shouldn't outweigh all the others".

Don't get me wrong this is a really good game, but it's clear they mishandled the "CHOOSE A PATH OKAY NOW YOU ARE ON THAT MOTHERFUCKER FULL TIME" part.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's...a war dude. Why in hells name would your hypothetical Disfavored engage in what is effectively treason against their General and literal object of worship like you are describing. You have sided against them in a war in the situation you describe.

But the one decision that makes all this true, that puts you on a path, is not a good one. Your decision is a call in one maneuver of this war. It's not Tunon asking "So, which army am I gonna install you with?" at the end of Act 1. It's not Tunon saying "Well, the total tally of your actions in Act 1 would suggest you sided with the Chorus more than the Disfavored. So you work for them now, okay?" Those would be major improvements over having what seems like a fairly minor decision to show a small amount of favor towards one or another army become the only thing that matters for deciding how both armies treat you for the rest of the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leinadi posted:

I'm really glad to see mechanical benefits to the reputation stuff, I think that's a good way to give the system some extra "oomph".

But it is supremely weird to have maxed out both Loyalty and Fear with a character and see them act all normal and chummy with you at the same time. It's just... weird. Wish they had had more balls to have companions who would actually betray you, try to kill you or just plain leave you if you go against their agenda or whatever.

I agree but why would they do that if they had max Fear? :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Oblivious posted:

Voices of Nerat certainly can't be said to meaningfully have a sex so, this is probably literally true.

The Voices has had dozens of sexes. Scores, even!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Have they said what the password is to opt in to the beta branch? I want bugfixes as soon as they can crank 'em out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well into Act 2 and I've found a good rhythm with Bark 2-hand gibbing dudes, Verse dual-wielding like a maniac and casting a few spells, Eb vomiting sparkly lights over everything, and my PC is a sword-and-board Warmage.

I'm sure someone will tell me that shields are garbage, but I'm roleplaying, god drat it :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is it possible to miss Sirin? I haven't seen her in Act 2 at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Malek posted:

I think even if you did every side quest (pick up) 1 at a time and go from start, to quest area, to turn in, and got a new one, you would still end up with a day to spare.

The Act I timer is a non issue.

The fact that it's a non-issue is precisely the best argument for why it shouldn't be in the game at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bleden Mark's name is perfect.

"Thou hast been stabbed! Pray, tell me who stabbed thee!"
"Bleden..."
"I know thou art bleedin', ye barmy git! Who did it?!"
"Bleden..."
"You know what? You can keep it."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I meant with regard to the Bronze Brotherhood, are they still hostile by default then?

I'm on the Chorus path and the BB are my friends.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't work in Marketing but I have to wonder, if Tyranny is underperforming (and I don't know that it is) one reason might be that the title is so simple and doesn't really clue you in that it's even an RPG at all. Pillars of Eternity is a name that screams "dungeons and also possibly dragons are in the offing". Tyranny, not so much. Could have done with a subtitle. "Tyranny: Fatebinder of Tunon" or somesuch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Verse doesn't even care if you do the Rebel path, as long as she gets to chop people up she's generally fine with leaving the ethical quandaries to you.

• Locked thread