Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ZDar Fan posted:

...did that woman just get a vagina?

That's Wonder Woman and Persephone (Hades' first wife) bickering as Diana prepares to marry Hades after being shot through the heart by Hades using one of Eros' Love Guns.

:comics:

Not pictured: Persephone bleeds all over the room while helping Diana get ready because she’s slit her own wrists up the arm. Not that you can escape the Underworld by killing yourself. It's just to show how edgy she is or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Three Shorts (ABA) has been used extensively all over.

Two Shorts (or AB) was mostly just Nickelodeon (Doug, Spongebob, and Rugrats) and then later Cartoon Network. Also, 80's My Little Pony 'n' Friends did it, because it rotated the second half between several different "'n' Friends" shows.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lurdiak posted:

It helps that most of it is Joe DiMaggio talking to another Joe DiMaggio.

But Joltin' Joe has left and gone away...

Hey hey hey... hey hey hey...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
A lot of these long, slow, annoying story beats (see: "Hello Megan") only work if your show is good enough despite them that the audience sticks around to see the payoff.

Young Justice wasn't that show.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, the last shot of the series is Spiderman and Madam Web departing on a new trip to find Mary Jane and bring her back home for good. So yeah, hardly a conclusive ending. For a while there was a persistent rumor that Spiderman Unlimited was the continuation of that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Tell me "Ravages of Time" is about Spidey meeting Ravage 2099.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Return of the Joker was better than all that trash.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Reinanigans posted:

Yeah, but...that's like the best episode of an animated show ever, so....

It was a big rock...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Reinanigans posted:

That Joker is me

Fair.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Unmature posted:

Because anything even remotely niche won't sell. Nerds don't spend money unless it's on Funko Pops. anime body pillows

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

redbackground posted:

Also, buying tv shows on disc lol

My roommate bought The Complete Buffy for like :50bux: which had 39 discs. We made it halfway through Season 1 before just torrenting it because gently caress changing the discs.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

X-O posted:

Isn't Voltron just an excuse to have giant robots fight monsters in space? Doesn't seem like you need much of a "story" for that.

You don't need an excuse for that, either.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

X-O posted:

Mask of the Phantasm is definitely the best animated Batman movie and makes a serious case for best Batman movie regardless of being animated. Under The Red Hood is a good movie though, and it is literally the only good use ever of Jason Todd.

Death in the Family was the best use of Jason Todd.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
YJ Season 1 was good? What bizarro world did I walk into?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The obsession with having to start with the origin seems like a more recent thing. For some reason at the same time that comic superheroes became more prominent in pop culture, everybody became really self conscious about being some weird nerd thing that normal people might not be aware of.

I don't think they started with the origin even when Batman started out in the comics.

Batman's debut was Detective Comics #27. His origin was revealed in Detective Comics #33. It didn't take them very long to get to it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ufarn posted:

As has always been the case, DC should just give Lauren Faust a big bag of money and let her do whatever animated project she wants.

DC just don't like success.

But they are giving her a new series next year???

I don't understand your point.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

But they are only 2 minutes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TFRazorsaw posted:

a loud, ugly thing that's crass

TFRazorsaw posted:

insists on itself

TFRazorsaw posted:

no longer funny.

TFRazorsaw posted:

insists on itself

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TFRazorsaw posted:

What? You don't see how a show that constantly overdoes it's jokes, as if it were reminding the audience its trying to tell you one, insists upon itself? It's constantly reminding you what it's premise is, as if it were going "why aren't you laughing?" That's what "insisting upon itself" means.

It has an entire episode that's just two characters going "waffles waffles waffles". It incessantly reminds you of its premise and its single joke. That's insisting upon itself by definition.

"Insisting upon itself" is a nonsense phrase invented by Seth Rogen for Family Guy, "a loud, ugly thing that's crass" and "no longer funny."

I had hoped you were doing some sort of meta joke, but apparently not.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I have no memory of where I heard it before, only that it entered my vocabulary at one point and it seemed to make sense.

Also Seth Rogen doesn't work on that show as far as I know.

Todd McFarland?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cartoon Morbius was ironically much more unsettling than comic Morbius.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What was the lame rear end knock off transformers where they didn't turn into planes or cars or dinosaurs, but instead turned into regular loving rocks?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
But, Domino doesn't even wear a mask!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought she was ok in the Injustice comic.

DEFEND YOUR POST!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm confused about everything where Magneto appears as an antihero, because I only ever remember him being a creepy genocidal maniac. The first X-Men I read was the Claremont run where he puts Moira MacTaggart in a skintight metal gimp suit.

To be fair, he lost his poo poo on Moira after finding out that she genetically tampered with him to brainwash him when he had been de-aged back into a baby.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just watched the opening bits of JL:Dark and flipped it back off after they did a rundown of ordinary folks straight up murdering their families and friends in grotesque ways and John Stewart chimes in with "The one week I fill in for Jordan, and it couldn't be some hairy-rear end monster?"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

catlord posted:

I agree, I rewatched most of it when it popped up on Netflix a while ago. It's no B:TAS, but it wasn't trying to be. That one Hugo Strange episode was absolutely supposed to be Scarecrow though, it's super obvious they were forced to change it late.

Why were they forced to change it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

HELLO MEGAN kept going and got its own episode fairly late in season 1.

I still hated it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Woof. I tried to watch the Vixen film and cut it off after about 10 minutes. You really gotta work to write dialogue that bad.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah I meant hyperborean age == Conan probably involved

I want a Hyperborean Age comic, with post-apocalyptic mutants and poo poo for Conan to murderhobo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kingtheninja posted:

drat, I mean that's great news but I never did finish wolverine and the x men.

Neither did the creators

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

X-O posted:

I agree. They were not good.

Shocker

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yo, how is Justice League Action? I never caught it when it was current and I just saw some of the personnel and it seems pretty interesting.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bessantj posted:

Was Gotham by Gaslight any good?

I didn't scare for it. The plot was thin and the voice acting felt weak.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://twitter.com/AllisonByProxy/status/1201079938415243265?s=20

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I've hated just about everything I've seen that the comics have done with Harley. They just really had to squeeze as much grittiness and darkness into everything, with multiple levels of mental illness, neither of which correspond to any real psychology.

I guess they just really felt the need to overcompensate for using a character created for a children's cartoon, like what Marvel did with Firestar when they upgraded her from dealing with some mean girls at school to an elaborate program of gaslighting and abuse to craft her into an assassin. And they didn't even have the 90s as an excuse.

At least Harley's big storylines aren't getting cancer from her own powers or getting turned into a rotting shambling undead.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://mobile.twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1197933464143548416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought she started out as just a one-off female henchman and then that all spiraled out of control for reasons.

That was a weird thing about B:TAS that you don't see as much these days, all the supervillains had like a posse conjured out of nowhere. I think the only other villain with female henchmen was Mr. Freeze for some reason.

How's the wife, Vic?

That's New Batman Adventures, not B:TAS. I don't remember him having The Ice Girls in B:TAS. I think that was only later after Timm/Dini realized they could go Maximum Horney.