Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

muscles like this! posted:

Just read an interesting article about how The Incredible Melting Man was originally supposed to be a horror comedy but the producers took it away from the director at the last second and did some reshoots in order to make it more "serious."

Did they have anything on the Credible Melting Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Dead Talk Back is so weird because it spends a lot of time talking up all the psychic stuff and then just completely dismisses it at the end.

There's probably a reason why it wasn't released until 1 year before MST3K got it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Narsham posted:

Based on the frequent posts of a couple critics in an MST message board I peek at from time to time, I think you're spot on. A subgroup of people massively ignorant of the conditions under which TV is produced are convinced that Joel, on his own, is doing a lot of impractical artsy-fartsy stuff and insisting on higher production values instead of the bare-bones original show. Complaints about having all the extra puppeteers, for example, or not just having the three main performers with the puppets in the theater.

I also suspect that they don't understand other basic things like that the new MST3K is union, where the original cowtown show was not. But from the tone and content of their posts, somehow I don't think they'd be very open to the idea that paying people a fair amount for the work that they do is something to praise instead of condemning.

All the "Making of" features focused on crafting and pre-production and all the standard stuff that involves spending money on developing what goes onto the screen, and I expect that made these people angrier because why were they doing multiple concept drawings and models of stuff instead of just making it all? drat that Joel and his willingness to waste money; he's out of control without Jim Mallon to keep him in line.

Yeah, this stuff pisses me off. People don't realize the process behind making things.

I also don't think people get just how much work it takes to make something look thrown together.

Plus, the new stuff is being shot with HD cameras versus videotape, so now you can see everything in high fidelity. And the show wasn't a core group of people's full time job either. During the original run, that was the performer's main job. But now, the cast are doing this in between gigs. Joel mentioned how the voice actors wouldn't really have time to learn how to do good puppetry.

It wasn't like the Netflix stuff was overly elaborate. I think a lot of people think producing the show back in the 90s was just a 90 minute affair, and that's never been true.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Narsham posted:

I thought the same on first reading, but that is inconsistent with everything else that has been said and can easily be understood as an error in diction. I am 100% confident in my interpretation of what was meant, even if you are correct about the wording of that one specific communication.

Some useful additional information from the FAQ ("What if I can't be online for a live event? Can I still see it?"):
"After each new episode has its "live premiere," both the episode and a recording of the full live premiere event will be available to watch "on demand" in The Gizmoplex for at LEAST the following 30 days.

So, if you can't make it to one of our live events, you will be able to watch (or rewatch) everything you missed for at least a month! You just won't be able to join the live chat, or participate in any of the interactive parts of the event, because, you know... they'll already be finished."

In other words, this statement is in response to questions about viewing the live event after it is over. Because it repeats the e-mail message, the "both the episode and a recording" phrasing, it initially seems to support your reading, but the clarification says that if you miss a live event, you can rewatch for "at least a month."

Releasing the new episodes one a month and then pulling them from the service along with the recording of the live premiere event would be not just counterintuitive but completely undermine the point of the streaming platform. Pulling the live events, OTOH, makes them ephemeral and grants a constant subscription to the service some sort of definable value, although I suspect some people will maintain a subscription just to support MST3K.

The key word is at least until the next one goes up.

I'm guessing for new episodes, they will be there indefinitely. But what about classic episodes or special live events - they might only have a limited time license.

I think it's a little complicated for its own good. The way I'd pitch it is - new episodes will always be there, but special live events and other things we put on in may only be up until the next one debuts.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

The fact that the Movie ended up being shorter than the average episode of the show is still pretty funny in retrospect

It's shorter than EVERY episode (not counting any specials). Think about that. I can't think of any TV show where that is true.

The movie is also the only MST3K on laserdisc.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

fsif posted:

Right, many/most of the people jettisoned in service of the reboot spent even more time on the original series than Joel did. They're as much a part of the MST3K story as Joel is and they've been shut out of anything more than a token conversation about the series's future. You can bet a lot of them are justifiably pretty sore about it even if they don't air the dirty laundry publicly.

But that said, I think Joel was vindicated. The series is exciting and vibrant in a way it probably wouldn't be if the 60-something-year-old Sci Fi channel cast rode it out to retirement.

No matter how it happened, there's going to be complicated feelings and the room for someone to get hurt.

Joel created the show, but without Kevin or Trace or Mike or Bridget or Frank, there's no MST3K. They were a huge part of why the show was a success, and they helped make it.

But Joel got the rights and he wanted to bring the show back. And his vision all along was to make MST3K in a way that it could continue on without him. If they brought back the old cast, would it have worked as well? And not to mention that they're all doing their own things now.

But it doesn't really matter to me. Joel has done a good job acknowledging the works of others, but it's not like he left the show on the best of terms, since him and Mallon were not getting along.

I don't think there is a realistic way to do this where nobody gets hurt a little. But let's face it, at least they are all now getting paid for their old episodes, and that's something Joel saw to.

Edit: and just to add on - it's also about the new cast. Imagine having to always step aside so an older member can get a scene. If Joel wants the show to be successful, it has to be like Frasier season one - he wanted to the character to be defined by his new relationships, not by Cheers.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 14, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

A "counter" Earth is a pretty common sci-fi trope.

Yes, just a trope.

The secret of planet X must remain hidden from you foolish humans!

I mean, yeah, but if there was a counter Earth, we would have known about it. Certainly nothing to worry about.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, he was a major influence during the Joel years, but Joel was the driving force. The invention exchanges - Joel used to do prop comedy and that's an extension of that

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Yes, Joel, who literally started a TV show in the 80s, revived it, and organized large tours might not be able to do a TV show again

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I went with 250 because I really the show on Blu-Ray because I'm fundamentally broken.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Finally, I'll have the punctuation needed to make it clear I'm asking a question.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

The biggest thing that hurt NuMST was that Netflix insisted on releasing all the episodes at once.

So you didn't have a chance to get fan feedback and to make adjustments. You didn't have a chance to react. Instead, it's all there, and you got what you got.

That's why season 2 fucks. They were able to take the lessons learned and the feedback, and make something really good. The only thing I didn't like was losing a host segment, but I'm broken like that.

I think Mac and Me really highlighted how talented they are. That's a movie that is high on people's wish lists for riffing, and it would have been easy to go for the bunts, but they did a really good job making it actually funny.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly one of the most baffling things to me is how many of the host segments are long full takes. Someone laughs or flubs a line and you have to do so much over again.

The Torgo's Pizza sketch must have been so difficult.

Yeah, unless they go from Deep 13 to the SOL, they're no camera changes. I guess they only had one camera, and that's what you got with no jump cuts or anything.

Except for Still Store.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Why would you launch an invasion of Cuba with just four people, three who are escaped convicts?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Watching At Earth's Core, and one joke that hasn't aged well is Crow telling Jonah, "We thought you'd be a combination of Joel and Mike. Someone like TJ Miller."

I was really impressed that the joke that aged the worst in the Are You Ready For Marriage sketches was Crow choosing Marvin Gaye Sr. over Bill Cosby as the ideal father, and that's supposed to be the wrong answer.

Like, there's so many ways that bit could have gone wrong, especially being from the 90s, and that's the part that aged the worst.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

The Girl in Lover's Lane is one of my favorite episodes. I love these juvenile delinquency episodes, and if I had one wish for new MST3K is that they get to do at least one.

I find those movies are the right mix of good enough on a technical level to keep your interest as you watch, but goofy enough on a story/morals side that you can just go to town.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Look you want a hamburger sandwich and a bible lesson, it's gonna cost ya.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Sex for sundries is fun! Everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Everyone is right about Beast of Yucca Flats, it's appalling. But for some reason I like it. I cannot pin anything down, it loving sucks, but I'd rather watch it than Hobgoblins any day. I think maybe its weirdness just sits with me. I dunno. I watched Jack Frost the other day without MSTing, now that's a fun movie.

The thing about Coleman Francis's films is that they are all so hateful. His films are about terrible people who do terrible things and have terrible things happen to them. And when there's a good person, you can be assured something terrible will happen to them.

So you're watching pure misanthropy crossed with technical ineptitude, and not only that, his films get worse as he goes on.

It's pure hate on celluloid.