Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Yay, MX! I've only played MX Portable, so it's weird knowing that you get more favourites in that, which is one benefit. Either way, can't wait to see this. Also, agreeing with everyone. It's not the same without Butcher. Also also, I can't wait for 'him' to show up. It will be glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Look, I hate Beecha and Mondo as much as the next guy, but you will get the Dijeh and you will like it! I suffered through those two in MX Portable, you've got no excuse! Once they're at an average 25, bench them and never look back.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

General Revil posted:

Not having gotten around to playing MX yet, I assume that Resupply spam is a valid strategy to boost levels like crazy. Just take the lowest level person from the ZZ joke squad, stick them in the Mega Rider, and designate your highest level person as a sacrifice for that stage. Then just move the high level character back and forth to drain EN and recharge with the Mega Rider each turn. Free levels. The person that's being resupplied is quickly going to drop to 50 morale, but they shouldn't be fighting that stage, so it doesn't matter.

It's been so long since I played MXP I can't remember, and even then I'm not sure if it applies to MX or not. So...maybe?

Brunom1 posted:

drat you people... fine! I'll try to get the blasted Dijeh. :argh:

Thank you.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

When it comes to music choices, always assume it's due to licensing fees unless proven otherwise. That's how I approach the topic.

That stuff really bugs me when the theme they use is one of the other themes instead of the main theme, like Theme of Z instead of Mazinger Z, especially when they use the latter more than the former but suddenly use the former.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

MechaCrash posted:

When you get them here, you've already gotten their first upgrade, the Lifter. You get them at the very start of the show in Super Robot Wars A. This can create a problem when taken in combination with another thing: weapon upgrades back in those days weren't per machine. They were per attack. So just because you upgraded, say, ZZ's Twin Beam Rifle, it didn't automatically mean you did anything for the High Mega Cannon.

Now, "you upgrade per weapon" combines with "you get Dragonar at the very start of the show" to mean that you got the Cabarrier support system (I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Cavalier but eh), which is basically a big metal hat with some big honkin' guns. You could upgrade these guns! Except you lost them after stage 2 or 3, and all the money invested in them is essentially wasted. Good job!

That's not as bad as with the God Gundam, who has attacks that only show up when he enters Hyper Mode, meaning they're not on the list when you go to upgrade weapons. So you can fully upgrade his beam saber and it's dealing about the same damage as the God Finger, but you can't make the God Finger any stronger.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Alpha 3 for the three Double Gs, W for the plot and the Ardyguns, Z for the plot, the MCs and both stage 38s.

Edit: Oh, and the series list for each one.

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 13, 2016

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

I'm not gonna lie, I really like Getter Q and I think it's because it gives Michiru something to pilot that isn't a jet.

EclecticTastes posted:

Getter Q is available for a single mission in SRW3, and is fully playable in A/A Portable, though in that one, Musashi, Miyuki, and Lisa are also available as pilots, and both Getter and Getter G get converted to single-seat versions when Ryoma and crew upgrade, and with both Tekkou and Kochou Oni playable in their own mechs and Texas Mack on top of it, you've got the game with hands-down the most representation Getter has ever had

See, this is why I still play A Portable despite how hard it is. I love Getter Robo and love having an army of Getters. Double Getter Beam, Triple Getter Beam and then the Stoner Sunshine Spark.

Also, who else ships Hugo and Aqua?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

I'm talking with regards to later...and also the OG universe.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

GEAR Fighter Dendoh. All I have to say about this is...YES! I love this series, or at least as much as I've watched of it and played from MX. This is going to be SO fun.

Also, of course Devil Satan 6 has a Scottish accent, he's from Space Scotland, which, alongside Space England and Space Wales, forms Space Great Britain. Throw in Northern Space Ireland, which used to a part of Space Ireland but it split off (literally, they cut themselves off from the rest of the planet, attached engines and left what is now the Republic of Space Ireland behind), and you get the United Space Kingdom.

GimmickMan posted:

Aqua should hook up with someone closer to her age, like Zengar.

Yes, I'm saying Zengar is closer to Aqua's age than Hugo.

Sanger is in his late 20s, Hugo is 19 or 20 and Aqua is 23. No way is Sanger closer to Aqua's age than Hugo. Of course, the OG universe doesn't have the whole "I'm the oldest pilot!" gag since she's not the only one in her early-mid 20s. And that gag is like "The Crusher", it's not gonna go away anytime soon.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Yes, unfortunately, the United Space Kingdom annexed itself from the Europe solar system. They are attaching engines to their planet to move solar systems and it has caused a lot of issues for their planet.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

EEEEEEEEEEE! G GUNDAM! I love this series! My second favourite Gundam series, only because Build Fighters was so fun! I'm still really sad that Master Asia isn't in this game. But, we shall have to cover for his absence. Answer me, Goons! The School of the Undefeated of the East!

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

Huh, I just checked and I actually can't. Odd - I could swear being able to (maybe later).

Regardless, getting kills with Ginga will suffice for the secret as well.

I don't think you can do it until you get the Animal drives like Unicorn Drill and even then I think it's just in battle.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

I think MX is the non-OG SRW with the most series where the main robot is piloted in part using the pilot's own martial arts skills (I count four off the top of my head).

The fact that we have multiple series with martial arts robots is one of the reasons I like this game. If you're not using the God Gundam, Dendoh, Daimos and Baikunfu(or however you spell it) then I'm sorry, you're not doing it right. :colbert:

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 25, 2016

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

You somehow misspelled 'and' as 'or' there.

:doh: How could I have been so stupid? I fixed it.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Daisuke, Hikaru! Shame on you both, you're acting like adults. Daisuke, you're supposed to avoid Hikaru when you realise she might know. Hikaru, you're supposed to angst about whether or not he is an alien piloting a giant robot. I mean, that's just how these things are done. Acting like an adult is a smart idea and we can't have that. You two go to your rooms and think about what you've done.

Edit: Update at the end of the previous page.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing about Zeorymer is that it's largely character-driven, with the mech battles playing second fiddle, so it doesn't tend to translate well into the SRW format. In the show it was twenty minutes of Masaki being poo poo on for no reason while Taiha and the Empress angst about their love, followed by two minutes of mech battling, followed by Masaki pressing the win button; in the SRW, the mech battle ends up the focus while the angst and dysfunction play a minor role. It's also only four episodes total, so it tends to get spread out over the course of the game and have relatively little presence unless the game does a really good job of mixing the enemy factions together. The mech itself tends to come through really faithfully, though, especially in terms of its overwhelming power. Zeorymer is broken as hell.

His name is Masato. Masaki is when he goes all :smuggo:

Edit:

ImpAtom posted:

loving love this crossover. Combining the Dendoh power outage episode (which is itself an Eva ref) with the Eva sniping episode is just pure delight. :allears:

And the best part is that we're not done with the crossover aspect just yet. There's someone else who needs to show.

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 31, 2016

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Rom Stoll! :swoon: I'm really sad he doesn't join here, but he's still amazing. :swoon:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

:swoon: ROM STOLL! :swoon: Oh, and also, Dendoh stuff. Yay! Unfortunately, we now have to help the Nadescio B group. It's a fair trade. We got a stage reminding us how cool Rom Stoll is with some Dendoh plot, so in exchange we have to suffer through PoD. Wait, did I say fair? I meant evil, because we don't get to keep Rom Stoll to give us something out of this route. Basically :argh:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

I always thought that Allenby should've been voiced by...Screw it, I'm doing it.

"The sailor suited Gundam of Love and Justice, Nobel Gundam! In the name of Sweden, I will punish you!"

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Not gonna lie, apart from checking out the Rising Gundam's stats, I skipped over the entire thing. I would've only read it if Rom was in it, and even then I'd have skimmed it. And if anything, I'd feel shame if I didn't say it, because PoD can go straight to hell. :colbert:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

If I have to sit through this bullcrap, then you better get back up there right now and read it! :argh:

Okay, fine, I did it. And all I have to say is :ughh:. I feel dirty for having read it. Of course, this means we'll need the hose to get you clean.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Okay, I've got to cram reactions for two updates into this so I'm just gonna go over the highlights.

1: :swoon: Rom Stoll! :swoon:

2: Char. :c00l:

3: Dragonar upgrades...would mean more if I actually watched the show. :shobon:

4: DAIMOS! :swoon:

5: Aqua needs a hug! :sympathy:

Edit: Can't believe I forgot this one. 6: Tetsuya's a teenager!? :stare:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

Agreed and agreed. Turns out the torment Masaki gave Ritsu was registering his mech like that - the other Tekkoryu keep laughing at him behind his back, Saiga calls him Rose C'Est La Dork...

And I tried thinking of a mech with a worse name and came up empty.

That's your challenge for the day, thread.

ZAFT's ZAKU. ZAFT Armed Keeper of Unity. Zodiac Alliance of Freedom Treaty Armed Keeper of Unity. Much worse than Rose C'Est La Vie of the Moon.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Mister Olympus posted:

Sadly, neither Jeeg is in this game.

It'd be a funny solution to Incurable Anime Disease in a future SRW though!

I think that might be why it isn't included here. Seeing as Hugo's a cyborg, having Jeeg around would kinda defeat the whole need for medication when he could become healthy and Garmraid's head. And it's tagged unless someone points out if it's been said.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Wait, I thought God Voice hurts like hell when you use it. At least that's what I got from Alpha 3.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Onmi posted:

Oh it absolutely does

Then why was there nothing about it hurting him? I mean, in Alpha 3 they showed that God Voice hurts during the animation. Why not here?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

That's the thing, I'm not asking for a serious gameplay thing or even people talking about it. Alpha 3 just showed him being hurt by it, and that's good enough for me. Some form of acknowledgement that it hurts like hell. Or maybe this game removed it because of how evil they were about it before, and Alpha 3 put it in fairly.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

I got the impression that when they made MX, Banpresto still wasn't sure how to code the AI so it would actually use combo attacks. Also, of all the SRW games I've played, this is the one that's taken the deepest dive into Grendizer's story, even if there's a bit of a lull in Vegan attacks.

I think that's because Grendizer is getting the focus out of the Mazinger series. In the old games, they cut quite a bit. Grendizer's only appearances after MX, correct me if I'm wrong, were Z, in which it was more or less post plot, and A Portable, a remake of Advance which cut a LOT. It simply hasn't been in enough post classic series games to get a good enough go. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's only post classic games were Advance and its remake, MX and its port and Z. I'm not sure why they didn't use Grendizer more, maybe because Mazinkaiser was popular and they wanted to get in on that. And it's unlikely to be used now since they seem to want to focus on Shin Mazinger with a bit of SKL.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Yeah at this point I feel I have to keep doing it so...
:swoon: Rom Stoll! :swoon:
Now that that's out of the way, double data weapons! Also, I love how the Gundam fighters all have something to say to Altair. Does Kazuya?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

Word gets around in certain circles.

The recent DOOM Magazine has an expose on an insane alien attacker targeting hardworking villains. His victims thus far count innocent Gyandolar, Giganos and Gulfer among them - the letter G seems to be the trigger.

We've reached out to those who had met with the attacker, painting a gruesome picture of his depravity. The witnesses' identities have been concealed for their own safety:

: Och, 'im? 'Es the werst o' the werst. Ah've been all ower the galaxy 'n' 'ave never met a bigger dobber.

: Hmph, I may have been taken by surprise once... twice. But his reckoning will come when next we meet, I assure you.

: That guy?! Hrrm, that little sonuvagun, I tell ya... Did you know he stood on my head?! Well, we'll see how he likes it when I use that big head of his as a toilet!

: That guy's SO weird, it's insane. And he's always going on and on with his speeches... what a creep.

All readers are advised to exercise extreme caution when victory seems to be in their grasp.

I love it when you do this. Also, that last one. Of course.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

:syoon: Rom Stoll joins! :syoon: And now I can end my unfunny bit.

But on the topic of Great Zeorymer, I thought it was a powerful, but unnecessary unit. Like Omni said, when you've got Granteed, Mazinkaiser and Nadesico, GZ has less of an impact. I went for it once and felt that other secrets could be more useful than it. But not the X-Aestivalis. That can rust on the bench.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

General Revil posted:

In terms of game breaking secrets, you can always make them NG+ exclusive. First run, you play the game with some semblance of balance. Then, you open all the stops on NG+.

Edit: Tried joining in on the earlier conversation, and Brunom posted the next stage.

I think that was the Neo Granzon for Dark Prison. But yeah, I agree, unless you get it near the end, then it's fine for the first playthrough.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

I hope Devil Saturn 6 is aware that Rom could sue him for infringement. Also, Unicorn Drill and Leo Circle die and magically come back to life. The only reason I'm letting them get away with it and not, say, Kira, is because it's a Super Robot show and thus logic is meaningless.

Edit: Also, how blind are Dorchenov's mooks? They come in, seeing their boss has a literal smoking gun in his hand, seeing Maillot in shock and clearly not holding a literal smoking gun, and they think the guy who clearly didn't do the shooting is the guy who did the shooting. Please tell me it was handled better in Dragonar.

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 4, 2016

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Broken Loose posted:

They were working on a pair of space battleships for a few episodes that we being hyped up as the new upgrades and direction the show was going to take. Right as Unicorn and Leo died, they atomized the ships and created new bodies for themselves out of the material. When you're watching it, it's much less deus ex machina and more of a crazy bait and switch.

Okay, that works and it makes me more forgiving for the game, since it's unlikely they would have done that.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

That said, Izumi and all her bad puns have unfortunately arrived. May Brunom's sanity survive this onslaught once again.

No, it won't. And we'll be watching it die. :twisted:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Vikungfu as there is no option more deserving.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

I believe this is actually consistent, I don't recall the Newtypes picking up any sort of pressure from the EVAs in Alpha, either. It kind of makes sense, the Newtypes only pick up other Newtypes or things shown to be psychic in some capacity (Mulian bots being controlled via pseudo-psychic uplink, similar to Raideen in some respects, of course). I don't think the Newtypes ever had the usual Newtype reaction to the Alpha versions of Mazinger and Shin Getter (they were much closer to being "alive" in the Alpha games than later appearances due to their subplots being made up from scratch by Banpresto), either, and I'd say they're more similar to the EVAs than RahXephon is.

That reminds me of something that's been bugging me about Alpha 2 and 3. Why does Kouji not use Mazinkaiser for most of 2 and a good chunk of 3?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Okay, this episode was basically when I gave up trying to make sense of Evangelion. I just threw up hands and quit trying to understand it.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

I prefer MXP's version since we get to see Rei smile and every scene featuring smiling Rei is a good scene. Apart from one scene but I don't know if that counts as a spoiler for the game or not. I know it is for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

I feel that, when this is all done, there should be a post containing all of Rom Stoll's interruptions and the Twin Blade.

• Locked thread