Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geop
Oct 26, 2007

We play as Asura, who is shown above as being an calm, caring pacifist with a love of puppies and dislike of punching. There will be no yelling and absolutely no punching over the course of this game. If you're looking for action, you've come to the wrong place. We're just here, trying to be the best dad possible.

How does it play? Well, it's divided into shooting segments (a la Panzer Dragoon) and simplistic God of War-style combat. The cutscenes are also littered with QTEs, but failure doesn't seem to be too bad of a setback (mostly score-related or just delaying things by a few seconds). There's definitely more gameplay than, say, a David Cage game, but a lot of the enjoyment here is just how over-the-top things get. We're currently one session in (as of the start of the LP), but honestly it feels like a mix of Dragonball Z and Wonderful 101. It's pretty fuckin' cool, to be honest. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Joining me on this lovely extended Anime-Nite Romp will be Vicas, Kuvo, & TieTuesday! Kuvo has a few hours of experience with the game, but that was some time ago.

Although it has English & Japanese audio, we'll be going with dub. Not only is it just easier to deal with, but the voice acting is really good (Liam O'Brien & Robin Atkin Downes voice the lead roles). Since I really dig how it plays things out, I also went the auto-ducking route for long silences. One thing I noticed in editing is that the game audio clips *a lot*. Not sure why a game with so much yelling would've had such little care in regards to this, but it clips all over the place in Audacity. Anyhow! I hope that's not a dealbreaker to some folks, but it's just how things panned out.

[img]http://lpix.org/2546773/episode_list.png[/url][/img]

Geop fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

rip geop's controller

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Toddy showed this off a while ago, but it's always great to see reactions to Hindu/Buddhist Mythology Knockoffs: The Game. :allears: Unfortunately sometimes the console cannot contain all the over-the-top craziness, and consequently you will be seeing a fair bit of screen tearing.

To clarify Kuvo's point about the "lost episodes", they really are OVA snippets with QTE content on top. I'm guessing that Capcom didn't want to go through the hassle of putting more time and money into making more 3D art assets.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
[muffled] VERY GOOD

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh very nice. I watched KFJ/Pokecapn stream this game to the entirely a few years ago and it was a blast to watch. So is this side content to Anime Night?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I was thinking the other day that this is a game that needs a remastering. It's a great-looking game, but the screen tearing and stuff does it no favours at all. I'd love to see it on a console that can actually handle it now.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hell yeah.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
While I'll always be a little sad that this game isn't closer to the Eastern Mythology God of War I wanted to be, it is still cool and crazy and worth looking at.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah this game. Well, we'll see if it sets your brain on fire. Good luck, and have mercy on your fingers.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Asura's Wrath owns way more than it had any right to.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Why is the Buddha fighting a Reaper

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Sort of reminds me of the novel Lord of Light (Hinduism, sci-fi and presumably transhuman demigods) so far. I look forward to seeing how this ends.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 23, 2016

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

armoredgorilla posted:

[muffled] VERY GOOD

^^^

sleepy.eyes posted:

Sort of reminds me of the novel Lord of Light (Hinduism, sci-fi and presumably transhuman demigods) so far. I look forward to seeing how this ends.

As someone who loving adores Roger Zelazny, it has the same trappings, but I really doubt it's gonna end in any similar manner, or have the same plot, or...

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

GeneX posted:

As someone who loving adores Roger Zelazny, it has the same trappings, but I really doubt it's gonna end in any similar manner, or have the same plot, or...

Agreed: no way in hell will it have anything else in common, but it is enough to get me interested. Zelazny was a master.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Still pissed that this isn't on PC, mainly because my 360 feels like it wants to blow up while playing this game and the handful of still frames between scene transitions due to whatever the gently caress the hardware needs to do with the Unreal 3 engine is kinda jarring.

That said, this game rules and I don't think I actually finished it, so I'm glad to watch this along with you all. [spoiler ]maybe I'll pester Geop and Kuvo to guest commentate[/spoiler ]

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Asura's Wrath was an amazing game. I bought it expecting nothing and paid nothing for it and got a lot more than it had any right to be.

I'm gonna assume it isn't a spoiler to say that all the DLC, with one exception, is more gameplay.

Covok fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 23, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I wasn't exactly taken with the "gameplay" of Asura's Wrath, but I will say this about it in 100% sincerity: CyberConnect2 made one hell of a beautiful anime. Because that's what this game is trying to be, a 24-episode shounen anime season, and goddamn did it ever pull that off incredibly well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man, I am digging the whole aesthetic of this game. Its a lot like Orion, heavy sci fi/mysticism hybrids everywhere.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...Olga and Sergei? Everyone else has a proper-sounding anime name (I mean, here's some baseless speculation: Deus is the main villain because come on), but those two just feel weird.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There has never been a finer yelling simulator before or since.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, now! Since I stopped console gaming after college and never got a PS3 (or a television to use one), this was one of those games that I'd heard about, but have never actually seen in action. So far it nails the episodic shounen anime aesthetic in a way that Killer is Dead tried to, but never quite did, and is already much more entertaining than that silly game ever was. The juxtaposition between our Geop's calm, informative tone versus... well, everything going on here, and particularly our protagonist ("hero" seems too straightforward so far; maybe I'm being too judgmental, but it seems that Asura is meant to be sympathetic because of things done to him than anything he does or says... but it is still early, and I do love surprises!).

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
If you want a vision of the future of this LP, imagine a yellboy yelling at the top of his lungs - forever

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vicas posted:

If you want a vision of the future of this LP, imagine a yellboy yelling at the top of his lungs - forever

That dips between slightly over to the top to completely over the top until the end where there are not words to describe what this game becomes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Asura's Wrath is the best anime. But yeah, the audio in general is pretty bad for the English dub. The mixing especially makes it almost impossible to hear the characters' voices at times.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013
OH MAN THIS GAME

This is probably one of those on a list of "Always wanted to play, never got around to playing it", but what little I saw of it years ago was just phenomenal WTF-ery. One thing I vaguely recall from this: It would get over the top, and then over the top itself almost immediately - perhaps as much/moreso than W101, so maybe someone should start up a "WTF Counter" just for the sake of how many times it's gonna happen.

This is going to be an amazing ride and I thank you four for contributing your time to this most hype of anime punchmans.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I love this game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope the end of times DLC was obtained as well.

The gameplay in AW isn't amazing but those QTEs in the DLC are great.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

GeneX posted:

^^^

It's a novel known for having a truly atrocious pun. I think it fits a Geop LP just fine.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
I got curious about this game a few months back and tracked down toddy's LP of it, only to marathon through the whole drat thing in about three days. Still haven't played it myself but my god I love it all the same.

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008
Only good things will come of this. I can hardly wait for more episodes already.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I don't know if its my computer, the video, Chrome, or what but the video absolutely refuses to play in Chrome for me. No other videos do this. Anyways!

I was always told this game was nuts, it can only get better from here.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Geop how are you posting

Put your hands on the controller geop

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Good lord why have I never heard of or played this game :stwoon:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hopefully, since this game is more action packed, they'll be able to stay on topic better than Dead Space. :v:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Good lord why have I never heard of or played this game :stwoon:

This game is really neat, the cyber Buddhist aestetic is amazing, Wyzen acts with purely his giant hands and it's anime as heck.

The Spin QTE's are actually surprisingly hard

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Yeah, this is definitely the best, worst game ever made.

I mean, let's be fair, as an actual game, it's crushingly disappointing and generic, with very little depth to it.

But as an experience, it has no real equals.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
This is a terrible game but a loving awesome dumb/insane anime.

Just so you know, out of that vomit of DLC at the title screen, one of them is the actual conclusion of the game. They went with the anime series aesthetic to the point that the ending is paid DLC an OVA.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Nohman posted:

Just so you know, out of that vomit of DLC at the title screen, one of them is the actual conclusion of the game. They went with the anime series aesthetic to the point that the ending is paid DLC an OVA.

To be fair, as long as you don't do the final stage twice, you still get a reasonably good ending.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I loving love this game/anime. Sucks that they never ported it to current consoles or PC.

Nohman posted:

It's lovely that they did this, but the true ending DLC (I think it's the Episode 4 one) is so incredible I can almost forgive them for charging extra for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I loving love this game/anime. Sucks that they never ported it to current consoles or PC.

Would count streaming the game via PSN to a PC count? :v: Because you can do that relatively soon.

• Locked thread