Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
believing that a bill cosby emblem indicates support, endorsement, or condoning of his actions is loving retarded

see:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Digirat posted:

Holy poo poo 2142 is coming on the 23rd. I think my disc is still around. I'm ready. I'm fuckin ready

We should make a BF2/2142 thread

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

At the end of the day realism is all fine and dandy but it goes in the back seat if it is going to make the gameplay suck. I like my online vehicles at a decent speed and not breaking down unless being blown up.

By enemy dudes.

It's more important to be immersive (creating the illusion of a real, organic world) than to be realistic (following all the rules of a real world). Shattered Horizon, for example, was pretty goddamn immersive despite having automatically-healing spacesuits and infinite jetpack fuel.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
do we have a BF2/2142 thread yet

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

This was 2142s single player, and it was terrible and leagues better than 3 or 4s

2142 just had bot matches though.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You've never heard of Bane-posting have you?

Perhaps he's wondering why somebody would shoot a bazooka after doing a loop-de-loop in a plane

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Digirat posted:

Letting players host their own servers with broad custom settings is great when the population is big enough for there to be servers with good settings, but yeah for some reason a huge number of players want servers with really dumb poo poo like 1000 tickets instant vehicle respawn, or knife-only. And for whatever reason, these people seem to stay around longer than the ones who just want to play a balanced game.

Battlefield 2142 revive has been fine since they're still working on getting non-revive-hosted servers working, and the revive servers are just 64-player conquest/titan/assault lines servers, but I saw a request on their forums for a knife-only server. People seriously want to go back to a really janky 10-year old game with awful hit detection for knife servers. Who are these people?

Back then I thought knife servers were just a way to easily get the secret knife unlock but apparently people actually liked knife servers for what they were.

Also BF2142's hit detection is fine :colbert:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Digirat posted:

The hit detection works with guns, but the knife and defibrillator are incredibly awkward to use as weapons. you attack from an inch away at someone who is standing still or prone and somehow don't hit them, then move around from other angles and still don't hit them. After having this happen to me, in the same match I tried to revive someone when an enemy charged around the corner, and I accidentally defibrillated the gently caress out of him from 3 feet away. His body went flying.

Yeah that poo poo's broken but I haven't had much difficulty hitting dudes in 2142.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

404notfound posted:

I canceled my preorder, signed up for Origin Access, and re-preordered for a few bucks less, with the added bonus of being able to start on the 13th instead of the 18th.

I'm not sure how it works though. In Origin it still says my preload date is the 14th. Does it just magically become available on the 13th when the Play First Trial begins? And what time on the 13th does that start?

From what I've gathered the First Trial and the Preload are two separate things. Also, the First Trial will only let you play for 10 hours until the 18th. Honestly I'm not sure how they'll handle something like multiplayer (maybe they'll have a special event so everyone plays at once?). If nothing else it'll be a good time to run through the single player.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

404notfound posted:

Yeah, I didn't care about the Origin Access stuff because loving :lol: at the same company who came up with DLC season passes trying to squeeze even more money out of us, but it actually seems like it's... a good deal? :psyduck:

It's five bucks a month and they recently announced that they'll be adding Battlefront to the program, which is actually pretty great if you didn't already have it. Might be worth hanging onto.

Yeah, the Vault is a cool idea but I wish they had more stuff in it. Really, I think a "Netflix, but for games" service like Gametap would work well nowadays with better bandwidth and such. Still, got to play through Crysis 3 for free with it (and the Dead Space trilogy, which I need to bang out as well).

IceOrb posted:

EA Access/Origin Access yearly subscription cards regularly go on sale on Newegg, usually $30 for a year.

Just seems like a good thing to have if you're worried about "gettin hosed by DICE again".

Word? Good to know.

SeanBeansShako posted:

And the Origin interface is looking kind of slick.

I'm scared, are they learning guys?!

A couple of years ago when EA won the "Worst Company in America" award from the Consumerist for the second time in a row everyone at EA shat their pants (for some perspective, none of the other companies who won the award ever really reacted apart from a limp-wristed PR release). I honestly think that was a wake-up call for them, along with SimCity 2013's abject failure. The progress is slower than we'd like, but they're taking steps to improve, which is good.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 12, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Battlefield 1 is great. Played all the singleplayer you're allowed to play and a little bit of the multiplayer. The writing's pretty good, sound is flawless and visuals are incredible.

Edward x McManus OTP

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Origin says I preordered the game but I haven't gotten my preorder bonuses nor have I been charged. Wonder if I'll get charged on the 18th?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Klisejo posted:

Mine hit paypal on the 11th.

Checked my order history and apparently it got hung up on "processing." Cancelled the pre-order and re-pre-ordered and it went through immediately.

I didn't get my preorder stuff in the trial and I won't get to use it until the 18th but at least I have it now!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Gonkish posted:

The price tiers for the pre-orders and editions and all of this is classic EA. Jesus christ, 130 bucks or whatever it is for the super ultra maximum biggus-dickus uber edition? Really? drat, EA. drat.

Game looks amazing despite this, and I'm tempted to grab it for $46 bucks on GMG.

Battlefield 2 with all the expansions cost $100 which is about $123 in 2016 money

The $130 edition contains more content than paying $123 bucks would get you in 2006, but yes EA is totally jewing you here, waah DLC is manipulative why can't we go back a decade when games cost the same amount of money for the same stuff

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Kawabata posted:

please keep defending both EA dumb business models and DLCs, we're listening

Honestly? EA's offering a service where for $5.40 a month you get unlimited access, Netflix-style, to a catalog of (mostly) critically-acclaimed games. If Valve were to do this kind of thing but for $9.99 and half the size of the catalog people would go ballistic over how great of a deal it is.

I get that in the past EA has done some really scummy poo poo and they've hosed up a ton, but I honestly believe that post-2014 when they won Worst Company In America from Consumerist twice in a row they decided to get their act together and actually provide a good service. Origin Access, along with some of their other decisions, reflect that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

That thing was so loving stupid and tactless, that I still can't believe noone called them out on it before it was revealed. Like....Jesus. F. Christ, get your head out of your rear end.

Then of course the manbabies started howling how it totally wasn't sexist and stupid and just WRONG, and them feminazis are destroying are gams dagnabbit!

so how does nobody call it out while gamers simultaneously react to the callout

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

No, since that would imply that BC2 is a better game than BF1.

Best Battlefield game since 2006.

Nothing is going to top 2142 until 2143 comes out.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Loving the single player stories. I really hope they plan to do some DLC that gives us more war stories involving the empires they plan to add.

The Runner actually made me want to play an old-school FPS starring Fredrick Bishop, running around blasting Ottomans while wisecracking.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Monocled Falcon posted:

War stories are merely okay. Not enough content, tone is really weird, considering the prologue.

I agree with the last point. Prologue's theme was about the fragility of human life, then the war stories are all about superhuman feats of bravery. I think the stories are still great, though. Exciting and tense (especially on Hard, which is what I'm playing on), the main and supporting characters are all written well, and the actual gameplay is unique enough to make it enjoyable as single-player while keeping enough elements from multi-player to make what you learn applicable in the "real game."

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Xaris posted:

So I have tried both BAR Trench and BAR Telescopic now.

I was all about the BAR Trench, but I've really come around on the Telescopic. Put your Magnification on it to 2.0x and it still works very well close and mid range, and sometimes outsniping snipers. You still have the hip-fire bullet hose potential of the Trench but with added bonus of being able to do a bit better at longer range.

I think if I was playing a reallly close quarter map in a bunker or something, I'd probably go with Trench but Telescopic is very versatile for most of the maps

You also get the fancy Warhorse skin

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

DrGreatJob posted:

A new patch is live. Good luck finding patch notes anywhere in this shitshow of an interface/website/:dice:

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/categories/battlefield-1-game-updates Here? Except they're not up yet... But it's live? What the gently caress

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Fuligin posted:

suez is insanely bad, holy crap. like all they needed to do was divide B into two points

Suez has some interesting stuff in Rush, they need to stretch it out like Argonne and make it five points.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://twitter.com/SHREKFLEX/status/792497726516625408

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

WirelessPillow posted:

As much as I see people talk about medics hanging back, Don't. Get in there, be violent, if you run out of bullets use your sidearm (revolver for hip fire awesomeness). learn how to be right inside the explosive zones and still stay relatively safe with cover while throwing those medkits everywhere. gently caress, throw medkits on the ground even if nobody is around if you are running to a point, who knows if someone behind you might need it. Just don't be passive.

This, but applied to all the classes. Even when I play scout I jump into the fight and merk people at short/midrange with the SMLE.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Klisejo posted:

OK, glad it's not just me. I've tried iron and radium at all the different zooms, and it just feels inaccurate. I'd qualify that with "past 100 yards", but last night there were some close-up shots in Amien that had me screaming WTF. The big blocky front post doesnt help, but I can usualy get past things like that (hello BF4 M60)

If we had the BF4 firing range I'd have figured it out by now...

I have problems with that gun too. Going from the SMLE to it made me feel so inaccurate that it made me just go back to the SMLE.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The campaign was great. I don't really see what people mean when they say the writing's corny. I guess there's dumb bits but it really wasn't worse than your average single-player storyline. The characters were all well-written and memorable, the gameplay was fantastic (particularly the behind-enemy-lines setpieces where you got the option of stealth), the music was amazing, and I guess while the tone of the singleplayer shifted from the prologue to the actual chapters that's really the only mark against it that I can give. Up there with Doom 2016 for singleplayer experiences this year IMO.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sedisp posted:

I have no idea if you're being serious or not.

Yeah I have trouble understanding people having different beliefs and tastes too

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Yo what's up with this Battlefield 4 tab on PC? Do I need to do something to unlock the ability to play Battlefield 4 through it, cause uh, right now it's just a bunch of youtuber videos and a store page to buy Battlefield 4 ( I already own it! ).

They're going to port Battlefield 4 away from Battlelog and into its own native application at some point, but not yet. Same with Hardline.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

404notfound posted:

I've always thought of Discord as closer to Slack than to Mumble or Ventrilo. But I guess people who don't have a work Slack might not even know about it

Discord is like Slack in that both programs are chintzy flashy versions of more mature programs with larger feature sets, but millennials and the homeland generation prefer Discord and Slack because it's shiny.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
RIP in Peace, Operations. Game just becomes a slog if you're not constantly advancing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

Just blow the turret up with explosives, after a while a the wreck goes away then you get the perfect flat concrete pad.

It's loving dumb. IMO I'd give the turret shitloads more health on top but make the explosion leave a hole that allows you to jump down. It'd be great for clearing out that bunker.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

The music is legit good, like I'd rather they just put the sound track on sale and drop some free content if it sells well. I'd legit buy the music for the game instead of spending money on BATTLEBUX.

https://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-Patrik-Andr%C3%A9n-Soundtrack-S%C3%B6derqvist/dp/B01M8MH95D
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/battlefield-1-original-soundtrack/id1168803447
https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Johan_S%C3%B6derqvist_Patrik_Andr%C3%A9n_EA_Games_Soundtrack?id=Botri6tte4xvrnhr4bx7rpkw4aa
https://play.spotify.com/album/0jcNyEDXKVFqUm7HuaxLLi

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

you know what would have had a ton of variety in guns, vehicles and gadgets?

bf 2143

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I would like a new Battlefield: Future War

Sci fi is cool and good and with their own IP they can make up a million mechs, guns and vehicles

BF2142 had a great setting full of verisimilitude and believability. Everything felt grounded in reality, like the conflict and the tools involved felt like they could actually be things used in a war in the year 2142 (minus the more fantastical stuff like the titan shields and hover plates).

I totally want a BF2142 with a BF1-style single player, where you follow different soldiers through different maps and campaigns. One campaign can even involve a civilian in Camp Gibraltar who gets caught in the crossfire and has to pick up a rifle to defend himself, or a campaign where you pilot an L5 Riesig on a peacekeeping mission to hold back food riots in Verdun.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm liking the new custom game modes they keep adding personally

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

FBS posted:

Scout is awful and I hate it and I'll never make 3

do what I do and do snapshots with the smle infantry and mars automatic, get up close and personal. flares everywhere. I live for this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dinosaurs! posted:

Yeah Alvin York charged a machine gun position by himself, taking a few out with grenades and confused Europeans with a turkey call before killing some and taking more prisoner.

The German officer only surrendered to York immediately after emptying his pistol magazine at him and not landing a hit. Not sure I would have been so forgiving.

Turkey call gadget for assault class when

I guarantee more soldiers used a turkey call than the goddamn MP 18